NRI Kids Always Teased in Movies - Page 2

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 17 years ago

Talking about stereotypes what about the films the likes of Satyajit Ray and Adoor Gopalakrishnan portrayed for the west wherein India is synonym for poverty and which won them accolades. Only such India cinema is appreciated at Cannes and other international film festivals.

Exaggeration is part of movie making. Some directors churn out same stuff to bring more revenue whereas other arty kinds make the "true" cinema to win awards internationally.  

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: Dabulls23

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Qwert Aap bhi na πŸ˜†

translation for non marathis -  "Uhoh!  your panties are visible"

all the girls in RGV's movies have shown their panties even when it was unnecessary.  Those girls did not grow up in the states πŸ˜ƒ.  "Aga bai chadee distey" has nothing to do with being an NRI kid.  Quite funnily, Shamita Shetty (Indian racial ambassodor's sister) was caught not wearing underwear.  Now that is more silly than showing it.  πŸ˜†πŸ˜† and shamita is not an NRI πŸ˜‰

What is silly and butt of all humor is being opinionated and ignorant πŸ˜‰, whats NRI kids got to do with that?
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
nerdynerd thumbnail
Omg me and my friends were just having a discussion about that today...b/c we were talking about Namste London and I told 'em what it was about...it's absolutely derogatory to show that NRI kids have no respect for their parents...and how is it okay to show a girl forced into a marriage with a man she has never seen? I am not bringing that movie home ever, don't want my mother to get any silly ideas πŸ˜† And on top of that the girl is shown as bad b/c she fell in love with someone who is white, who ofcourse had to be evil b/c he is white ...movies are stupid yuh I brush 'em off..but people in India actually get a picture of us like this...many people in India asked me silly questions about how we respect our parents or not...and do we all wear slutty clothes...they were rather amused that I walked around in jeans I guess they were expecting hoe-clothes...like seriously...anyhoo pissoffs that is what they are..and they are exagerrated movies...and thankfully there are smart directors out there who know better 😊
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: *guesswho*

Omg me and my friends were just having a discussion about that today...b/c we were talking about Namste London and I told 'em what it was about...it's absolutely derogatory to show that NRI kids have no respect for their parents...and how is it okay to show a girl forced into a marriage with a man she has never seen? I am not bringing that movie home ever, don't want my mother to get any silly ideas πŸ˜† And on top of that the girl is shown as bad b/c she fell in love with someone who is white, who ofcourse had to be evil b/c he is white ...movies are stupid yuh I brush 'em off..but people in India actually get a picture of us like this...many people in India asked me silly questions about how we respect our parents or not...and do we all wear slutty clothes...they were rather amused that I walked around in jeans I guess they were expecting hoe-clothes...like seriously...anyhoo pissoffs that is what they are..and they are exagerrated movies...and thankfully there are smart directors out there who know better 😊

you are right guesswho!
not only directors, but also thankfully there are many Indians who don;t generalize either πŸ˜†, unlike few indians who bad-mouth NRI kids 🀒 and whites.
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

you are right guesswho!
not only directors, but also thankfully there are many Indians who don;t generalize either πŸ˜†, unlike few indians who bad-mouth NRI kids 🀒 and whites.

Ditto...

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

I think they depict a general rule rather than exceptions.. Also the general rule may be outdated.. but its a fact that when nri kids visit india with some of the american/uk fads they look silly and butt of all humor... like for example any american kid who visits india shows off his undies from his pants is going to be branded ABCD - Ag Baayi Chaddi Distey... πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

change of heart? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Pyaari_Shailee

heyy dostonπŸ˜ƒ

I wud like to discuss sotmhing with you guys. In every Indian movie, Indian kids from USA and UK are always shown as rich, spoiled, stupid brats. They smoke pot and drink alchohal. They are always as kids who don't care about their Indian culture and have complete American accents. Nowdays in USA and UK, NRI kids go to the mandir's, perform at Indian dance shows and festivities, and they do speak Indian languages. In movies, they are picturised so poorly. There are few who are like that but not all of us. I am a NRI but I am not like that. I speak good Hindi and Gujrati and I actually have a fobbish accent. I mostly hang out with my Indian friends and go to the movies to want Indian movies. Don't you think NRI's are always considered as an ABCD(American Born Confused Desi)??

Pyaari,

xx Shailee xx

Sadly they are.

Contrary to the popular belief, the value system in US at least is very good. Social graces of being polite and respectful are ingrained in the kids right from kindergarten where they are made to learn how to be polite. Teens of course are teens anywhere they grow up, so you have teen kids who behave badly in India and teen kids who behave badly in US. Possibly because logic behind everything is given a lot of importance here ( kids are encouraged to know how things work, rather than know that they are there and simply mug it up and then forget all about it...), they ask more questions. Fair enough. If we are clear about why we are disciplining and lay down the ground rules, kids grow up to be pretty healthy.

As for not not talking in their own language, this is a problem every child has to face the moment e/she steps out of the native states. I remember the pressure I had for learning my mother tongue and the amount of criticism I faced when I visited those relatives who were simply restricted to one language while I was getting fluent in three of them....all because I did not have a 'pure' accent. And I had not even changed the country, just the state !!!!!!!πŸ˜†

The accent that you mentioned is not your fault. The problem is when you study in a school where every word has a different accent that your language demands, it's natural for the mind to take up the accent you talk more in and interact with people your age,specially while growing up, and yet retains the accent that is spoken around you as well. So you have Punjabi kids growing up in South who cannot speak 'theth' punjabi or Bengali kids growing up in UP who speak hindiest Bengali. So I don't see any wrong with a kid growing up in UK or US having that country's accent. In fact sometimes this very accent might make learning the Indian language difficult - In US, the English is spoken in a tongue rolling manner, and it's difficult to pronounce many of the Indian words. It gets better with practice, provided you have enough of it......

I know Desi kids here who are not only participating in their community events, but learning to read and write their language, learning shlokas, writing poetry in their regional language and yet freely hang out with their white friends. They also learn not to shrink their nose when they see a black ! In fact, 60% of the teens in this forum which is primarily an Indian serial forum are NRIs.....and all they get to watch is backless blouses and countless miscarriages and divorces and multiple marriages. Just as these serial stereotypes are FAAAR from true, we would do well to learn that the movie stereotypes where humiliating the whites and the NRIs seem to be the only way to showcase Indian greatness is far from reality as well !!!

Originally posted by: Dabulls23

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Qwert Aap bhi na πŸ˜†

Ummmm I am not sure I find this very funny. Leave alone India, I am yet to see an American kid IN America who shows off his 'undies' under the jeans......or even the girls I had heard so much about, brandishing their jeans so low that a jerk would pull them off and top sooo high that twain can never meet, unlike many of their very very Indian counterparts IN India in many of Indian cities who effortlessly do so.  Just like top to bottom sari clad face covered women in India are not a norm,  undy showing or any other ridiculous aspersions bestowed on kids growing up abroad is not reality either. Please do not generalise with exceptions.  So lets not generalise.

qwertyesque thumbnail

Originally posted by: Minnie

Ummmm I am not sure I find this very funny. Leave alone India, I am yet to see an American kid IN America who shows off his 'undies' under the jeans......or even the girls

Where are you in the US I mean which city?.....I try to find one who doesnt!!! including indians.. here in boston...guys may not be as many but girls as rule mostly

Edited by qwertyesque - 17 years ago
Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

Where are you in the US I mean which city?.....I try to find one who doesnt!!! including indians.. here in boston...guys may not be as many but girls as rule mostly

I am sorry, but do you actually set out to look for them?? πŸ˜† Because I surely don't find them hanging on the trees and the ones that see in the malls are trendily dressed but look far from slutty. And yes, so far the kids I have seen are almost always decently dressed....they are too busy playing soccer/ voleyballs/ baseball/ doing karate classes/ taking piano lessons/ cleaning driveways/ going to the library/ doing some chores or the other for their parents so that they can score those brownie points which enables them to see that movie during the weekend to hang around uselessly showing off their undies......maybe we live in differnt worlds, meet differnt people, and though inhabit exactly the same part of the world, are fortunate ( or unfortunate?πŸ˜‰) enough to interact with completely different sets of people.....

Edited by Minnie - 17 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail

Originally posted by: Minnie

I am sorry, but do you actually set out to look for them?? πŸ˜† Because I surely don't find them hanging on the trees and the ones that see in the malls are trendily dressed but look far from slutty. And yes, so far the kids I have seen are almost always decently dressed....they are too busy playing soccer/ voleyballs/ baseball/ doing karate classes/ taking piano lessons/ cleaning driveways/ going to the library/ doing some chores or the other for their parents so that they can score those brownie points which enables them to see that movie during the weekend to hang around uselessly showing off their undies......maybe we live in differnt worlds, meet differnt people, and though inhabit exactly the same part of the world, are fortunate ( or unfortunate?πŸ˜‰) enough to interact with completely different sets of people.....

Not really dint have to seek them.. of course you wont find them doing so while playing soccer... πŸ˜†... and thats not slutty!!!.. this is a ridiculous interpretation of something....and are u talking about 5-6 years old since you are talking about soccer and karate!!?.. I am talking about 13-18 year olds...πŸ˜†... i am sure they are not busy doing karate..teens are a different breed here... but its ok.. but u still didnt tell me which city is this.?