Tributes to Bob Woolmer

kothra thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Mods, I dnt knw if we r allowed to post any article, But i just thought to share this article

Tributes to Bob Woolmer

'He gave his life to cricket and died for it' - Donald

March 18, 2007

'He was great for the game, he worked hard all his life' - Waqar Younis

The cricket world was shocked to learn of Bob Woolmer's sudden death in Jamaica, a day after Pakistan's early exit from the World Cup. The tributes have started coming in. Here are the early ones:

"The first thing, world cricket has lost a cricket scholar. You can't say much more than that for Bob Woolmer. He was thinking of new ideas all the time and took coaching to the next level. It is pity that he is no more with us, and world cricket will surely miss him."
Fanie de Villiers

"The news was pretty devastating, to be honest. He was a very, very close friend, actually more than as a coach.... He was a very respected man. We were together with Warwickshire and South Africa. Bob was an extremely professional man, was an extremely soft person, gave his life to cricket and probably paid for it."
Allan Donald

"I am shocked and badly hurt. We have lost a good coach and a good person."
Inzamam-ul-Haq

"We are all greatly saddened by Bob Woolmer's passing. He was a great cricket man. His life was devoted to cricket."
Malcolm Speed, chief executive of the ICC

"He was a great lad, a great motivator. He was a bit eccentric at times but it is a terrible loss. I remember going to his house in Cape Town and many years ago he showed me his work room. He had everything on computers even then. This was before the technology was readily available and he showed me how he was going to monitor things and study each player's performance. He was one of the first to really work on the reverse-sweep shot, he probably worked at it too much. He taught people to go back when they were playing it rather than go forward to give batsmen more room to play and he developed a lot of that."
Former England captain Mike Denness, a teammate of Woolmer's at Kent

"The passing of Bob Woolmer in Jamaica today casts a sad shadow over the 2007 Cricket World Cup . Bob was one of the world's greatest coaches and as a player his innings of 149 lasting more than 8 hours against Lillee and Thomson demonstrated not only how talented a player Bob was but also his pride in wearing the England sweater. But perhaps Bob will be best remembered as one of the world's leading coaches. He embraced innovation and was at the forefront of many new developments in the game..... Everyone at ECB extends our deepest sympathy to Bob's family - we have lost a great friend.'
ECB Chief Executive David Collier

"I was very close to him, and I had the greatest respect for him as a man and a coach. We have all got to go, but not like this. I saw him just two weeks ago in Trinidad. I had the highest regard for him and he made a huge difference to South African cricket. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."
Goolam Raja, South Africa's team manager at the World Cup

"We had a marvelous time together. Can't believe it happened. It happened so quickly. We can't do anything about it... huge tragedy for Pakistan cricket, a huge shock for the nation. Don't think I can take it very well.... Was a lovely man, very understanding..."
Shoaib Akhtar

"He was great for the game, he worked hard all his life. I've played with a lot of coaches, I think when it comes to professionalism, he was the best. He's been a great friend to the players"; On differences with Shoaib: "When you live together for 7-8 months, they're both different characters, you will have differences... But he's gone now, one shouldn't talk about this. He's given a lot to Pakistan cricket, he brought them from nowhere to the top."
Waqar Younis.

"It's a great shock, great tragedy. Didn't know that he was diabetic and had high blood sugar. We had a good relationship with him. He was a thorough professional; he was a wonderful person to work with.... My condolences to his family" -
Wasim Bari

We are extremely grieved at his pasing away. On behalf of the PCB let me say it's a moment of extreme grief for all of us. He met with a heart attack and died in hospital in Jamaica . This is all we know at this moment.... Bob was one of the greatest coaches in Pakistan and in world cricket... "
Amir Bilal, member of Pakistan Cricket Board

"My first tour was to England and we go back many years as cricketers and friends. I valued his company. It's a sad day for the sport and the cricketing fraternity. This is totally unexpected. I knew he was upset and under intense pressure but no-one could have foreseen this. I send my condolences to his family."
Michael Holding

"Our thoughts are with Bob's family. This has come as a huge shock to all of the England team. "He was a figure who commanded great respect within world cricket and he will be sorely missed."
Andrew Walpole, the ECB media manager

"Bob was respected worldwide. He developed into the finest cricket coach in the world. Bob was a very close friend. I am stunned and shocked, I cannot believe it. He was a tremendous professional cricketer and was dedicated to the game. The world will miss him. He did so much for the game. He was well liked and well respected."
Dickie Bird, former Test umpire

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Alishba* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Thanks Huzi nice article

I am feeling soo sad for him & Pakiss 😭
May His soul rest in peace

I like DOnald's Comments
'He gave his life to cricket and died for it'
*Alishba* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Bob Woolmer dead

Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer died Sunday, reports said.

He was 58.

Woolmer was taken to hospital after he was found unconscious in his hotel room, according to officials.

"We have taken Bob Woolmer to the hospital and he is in the emergency ward. We don't know anything more at the moment," Pakistan team media manager Pervez Mir said, according to the Pakistan paper, The News.

A later flash confirmed that he was dead.

Pakistan were knocked out of the ICC Cricket World Cup on Saturday after a shock three-wicket defeat to Ireland

Woolmer was a fine Test player whose records did not do him justice. His batting prowess was a lot better than his average - 33.09 from 19 Tests - indicated.

His 149 against Australia at the Oval in 1975 bore witness to the fact that he should have scored more runs than the 1059 against his name.

It was as a coach, however, that Woolmer became really famous in the cricketing world. He was extremely successful as South Africa's national coach.

He used technology and did so visibly, being credited with bringing laptop computers into the dressing room.

PJ Mir, Pakistan's media manager, told TV channel ARYONE from the West Indies: "Bob Woolmer has passed away. I am speaking from the hospital and all the team management is also at the hospital.

"Doctors have pronounced Bob Woolmer dead. Bob has passed away and it is very shocking news to all of the team and the team management.

"Bob's family and wife were informed by the management about his condition when he was brought to hospital."

Woolmer was last seen in public when he addressed the post-match media conference at the Sabina Park ground.

Ironically, he talked of the stresses of the coaching job.

"Doing it internationally, it takes a toll on you - the endless travelling and the non-stop living out of hotels."

Sky Sports had earlier reported that Woolmer was found at 1045 local time (1545GMT) on the floor of his hotel room unconscious and with signs of vomiting.

An ambulance took him to the Kingston University Hospital.

Woolmer, who took charge of the Pakistan team in 2004, was seen late on Saturday night, but officials raised the alarm after not seeing him early on Sunday.

When they went to his hotel room, they saw he was unconscious.

In his playing career, Woolmer appeared for Kent in the English county championship and played 19 Tests for England.

Fate brought him to Pakistan in 2004 as coach, regarded the country's hottest post which had seen five changes since 1999 until his arrival.

He forged a strong relationship with captain Inzamam-ul-Haq and saw to it that the skilful cricketers always remained strong in basics.

Born in the Indian city of Kanpur in 1948, Woolmer missed the inaugural ICC Cricket World Cup in 1975 due to injury.

His playing career ended prematurely as he first joined Kerry Packer World Series Cricket and then went on rebel tours to South Africa in 1980s.

He steadily developed into a renowned coach, and was credited with pioneering the use of computers in cricket.

Pakistan face Zimbabwe on Wednesday in their final ICC Cricket World Cup group match.

Andrew Walpole, spokesman for the England team at the ICC Cricket World Cup, said: "Our thoughts are with Bob's family. This has come as a huge shock to all of the England team.

"He was a figure who commanded great respect within world cricket and he will be sorely missed."

http://cricketworldcup.indya.com/DisplayArticleDetails.aspx? xf=news,Cricket,2007,March,News_20070318_204

dures thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
it soooo sad....i just cant believe it... just yesterday we saw him packing his laptop in his bag and today ....... 😭 😭 😭 it sooo sad 😭