sunny crossed the lines,says McGrath

luv_shaan thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Sunny crossed the line, says McGrath

By Greg Buckle | Friday, March 16, 2007

Glenn McGrath believes India legend Sunil Gavaskar's comments about the death of David Hookes had "crossed the line".

McGrath was not alone in condemning the former batsman, with Victoria's Brad Hodge also fuming.

"Fair enough, if that's what he thinks, he's allowed to comment on the team," McGrath said today on Sydney radio 2KY.

"But I think when you start bringing David Hookes into it, that's crossing the line.

"It's very disrespectful. Sunny was an amazing cricketer, but I think this time he's gone beyond."

Hodge was visibly angry about Gavaskar's reference to his former Victoria coach.

"Pretty disappointed. I'm disappointed about comments made (about) my former coach David Hookes," Hodge said at the team's hotel in St Kitts.

"That's all I'm going to say about it."

McGrath indicated today that Gavaskar's relationship with Australian cricket could be damaged by his ongoing outbursts.

"I think potentially it could be. We'll wait and see. The comments in themselves are very disappointing when he's mentioning David Hookes and you really feel for Hookesy's family," McGrath said.

Gavaskar recently described Ricky Ponting's men as "unpopular" winners because of "awful" onfield behaviour.

He raised more eyebrows this week when he brought up the "example" of former Australia batsman Hookes, who died after being punched outside a Melbourne hotel three years ago.

Gavaskar suggested on ESPN that "some hot head guy" might "whack" an Australian cricketer if they spoke as offensively in a bar as he claimed some did on the field.
McGrath said Gavaskar's sniping at Australia had been "going on for a little while".

"I think with it being the World Cup I think Sunny sees Australia as the main threat to beat India and he's trying to put us off our game," McGrath said.

Former Australia captain Allan Border and Gavaskar have given their names to the India v Australia Border-Gavaskar Trophy, but Border has also this week criticised Gavaskar, who heads the International Cricket Council playing committee.

McGrath defended Australia's behavioural record, saying the players were "definitely" not as bad as Gavaskar portrayed them.

"I've seen other teams do exactly what we have. I don't think the Australians are any worse than any other teams," he said.

"It's fine to say that we are but at the end of the day I think the Indian team does it as well as every other team."

www.foxsports.com.au

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kal-el thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
the aussies forget so soon the way they behaved to the person who was standing with them when they won the icc champions trophy they nearly pushed him off the stage, and they have the nerve to talk about gavasker, i am a pakistan fan but what gavasker said is true the aussies behaviour on the pitch is a joke
nightangel thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
sunil is all set rite.. 😛
kothra thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
After reading the article its gng to spoil the relationship btw india n aussies
kal-el thumbnail
obviously but that doesnt mean they can go around expecting sympathy for a remark gavasker made but its alrite for them to go around doing an saying what they want
mini2390 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Even though i agree wid Sunil, i must say that as being a cricket great, i think dragging such an issue lyk this is not very professional, and thats exactly wat Glenn is saying here, Sunil has his thoughts about the aussies and he can for sure express them, but now dragging it further by bringing in Hookes doesnt show professionalism.....

I bet Sunil isnt the only former cricketer who thinks Aussies are arrogant and ill mannered in sum ways, so after a few statements on wat he thought about them was fine, but now this is a bit immature, as Sunil is a cricket great, so ppl who will disagree wid him will get offended.
kal-el thumbnail
yes but the aussies are so arrogant even when they do something wrong they refuse to admit it
Howlarious thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
aussies can't take it wen they are criticised 😆
mini2390 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Yes, aussies r arrogant and ill mannered but i have to agree wid McGrath as well, as he didnt say anything wrong either and on top of that he even said that Sunil has the ryt to say anything about our team, but then hes only talking about crossing limits.
and in my opinion, if there is one player on the aussies's team whose a team man and not at all arrogant, then its Mcgrath, and i dont think hes saying this out of anger or anything but wat he thinks shud not have been further extended.
Edited by mini2390 - 17 years ago
kal-el thumbnail
well i think ponting is the most arrogant out of the lot but he is a v.good player and doesnt need to be