Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

But with the question, you are one step closer to someone who could have the answer.  Having a curious QUESTION, rather than a Biassed opinion is a great beginning πŸ˜ƒ
qt

See but questioning a tradition and cultural thing is not same as questioning a scientific idea.. since in science its built up on certain premise....Knowing the serum creatinine and linking to a heart condition is not same as observing the  method prostration as a part of worship and concluding naivete and stupidty since these have axioms of their own which are not as firm as scientific... and they dont do any harm so why bother....

If a husband killed him wife and put her in a tandoor, another one killed several kids and ate their meat do they represent any generalization?πŸ˜†

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

If a husband killed him wife and put her in a tandoor, another one killed several kids and ate their meat do they represent any generalization?πŸ˜†

and unless u don;t question it, it might become a tradition.  πŸ˜‰

why were laws made against dowry and bride burning??  becasue Finally they were QUESTIONED in spite of being traditions.   Life is not science and in fact, life is far more important that science.  We lived in caves even before we could lite a fire..  Learn from life, as it is superior but COME OUT OF CAVES when curious questions have better life to offer!

Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago

But with the question, you are one step closer to someone who could have the answer.  Having a curious QUESTION, rather than a Biassed opinion is a great beginning πŸ˜ƒ
qt

πŸ‘ 

At least by posting questions one is ready to hear different views rather than sitting firm with old ideologies and biased opinion.  

qwertyesque thumbnail

Did americans teach them that?  Do you think americans reach half naked to attend a wedding / a conference??  So the CONFUSION is within.

thats not the question I would say can you wear Indian dresses to work.. wheneas sometimes its ok most of the times its not.. can a muslim woman wear a burkha to these conferences... so thats where people tend to cross over and switch allegiance while belittling what they left behind...😊

qwertyesque thumbnail

and unless u don;t question it, it might become a tradition.  πŸ˜‰

why were laws made against dowry and bride burning??  becasue Finally they were QUESTIONED in spite of being traditions.   Life is not science and in fact, life is far more important that science.  We lived in caves even before we could lite a fire..  Learn from life, as it is superior but COME OUT OF CAVES when curious questions have better life to offer!

Human aberration cant be used to discuss this come on. I am not talking of jack the ripper to highlight british culture of timothy mcveigh the US.. Yes, by all means question but unless its acceptable to all its not a valid question.. This dowry and other laws have come into play and have been accepted... Now you kinda propounding live-in marriages which will be thwarted by large and then you cant call that a  question... thatss all i am saying...

mermaid_QT thumbnail
Qwerty, Cave men had their own way of life. What made them change it? Why did religion and civilizations arise? It was the curiosity of what else can be done with life rather than hunting, gathering and procreating!

They probably looked around, questioned their own age old traditions and also thought about consequences of the new changes they planned to adapt.. We should do the same - pick what is good and trash what is potentially harmful.
qwertyesque thumbnail
QT like always you have veri good points but I will have rebuttals for each of your points.. but right now i have to go.. keep posting i will reply to every post of yours thanks... 😊

I will sit back and enjoy QT & Qwerty going back and forth on this. I don't have to post a reply because QT and I share a brain when it comes to topics like thisπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†πŸ˜†.

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: egghatcher

its also possible .......that  after the hackneyed pursuits they indulged in such as the ones highlighted above ..... they ....merely looked up .....gasping and wondered what might be beyond ..... hence religion is hypothetical to boot.... unlike the earthly ecstacy one enjoys .... from now and then..And what is hypothetically based is bound to suffer with pros and cons .. Its an empirical fact ..πŸ˜‰

well,, whatever they did / happened to them, curiosity and the wish to amend help them come ouf of cave
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
tina59 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

I had the same opinion of the US culture and people when I was in india and was about to go to the US but the last 3 years here in the US taught me so many things . Anyone who says that western culture is trash ,I think its completekly wrong , I agree we may not be comfortable with some of the things they do but their culture doesnt affect anyone else . At the same time now everybody is like that , there are so many who are traditional and well mannered .

schools here teach you to respect everyone and not judge anyone based on their race . indians, americans , pakistanis, everyone is taught the same thing.

people dress as they like and thats what I like , they dont care what u wear and never even bother to look at you unlike in our country where people comment on ur dress and ridicule you saying that ur dress sense is against our culture . I mean dress is something really personal based on ur liking , a well raised lasy would know when to wear what .

some one said that Indian abroad become spoilt . Its completely wrong , infact NRI's follow all the festifvals more and so many indian kids learn our art. I think people have a mass misconception abt western culture .Here people dont hesitate to help you irrespective of what country u come from .

back in India , we decide to help or not help based on the class and religion of that person and it does exist in a  direct or indirect way . I am not trying to glorify the western culture but plz what they conceieve abt western world is wrong from whatever I have seen here and experienced here .

In india , people do all kinds of atrocities in the name of culture and then they criticise the western world  for influencing them .