Frequent Posters

Minionite thumbnail
Posted: 14 hours ago

Originally posted by: FlauntPessimism

Replied at the last moment

Bee would be so proud right now. smiley37

Minionite thumbnail

Well wasn't that fun? Before I reveal the top 10% scorers who got the special privilege, here are the answers to the round.

1. A town in the Peloponnese region of Greece, Kalamata - I needed the name of the town/city for it to count.
  2. Pomelo
  3. Gullah
  4. It is a water bath that is used to keep delicate items like cheesecakes and set custards from curdling, cracking, or overcooking as they bake - Just to be clear I did not accept "water bath" as the answer alone - you had to explain it. It didn't have to be the exact explanation above, but something explaining why it is used.
  5. Mangosteen
  6. Herbes de Provence
  7. It is a selection of hot and cold dishes, typically served as an hors d'oeuvre in Turkish, Greek, and Middle Eastern cooking.
  8. Geechee red pea or Sea Island red pea
  9. Marzipan
  10. Literally means “everything in its place” and it describes the measuring and preparation of ingredients prior to cooking
  11. Cardoon
  12. Jellotine
  13. Gordon Ramsay
  14. Kayinja banana
  15. Saffron
  16. Durian
  17. Apples, pears, cherries, peaches, or strawberries - Any of these answers got you points.
  18. Salers cheese
  19. Onion, celery, and carrot
  20. 16
Minionite thumbnail

And now to name those top 10% of people who get the special privilege - the top 10% scorers will get a chance to skip any one round of their choosing within the first 12 hours of when it is revealed. If they choose to skip a round, they will be awarded the average of the non-eliminated participants for that round automatically. This means they can sit back and relax while everyone else suffers through one of my rounds.

These 4 people got 180 points each (meaning 18 correct answers) and they are:

BeingBlunt

Life_Is_Dutiful

minakrish

MoodyMango

Edited by Minionite - 14 hours ago
Minionite thumbnail

Over the next 3 days, 3 to 5 people will compete on a Google doc with a Jeopardy board based on....cricket. That's right. This round's theme is cricket.

People have already chosen their slots and been assigned one. Please note that about 10 minutes before that time I will send you the Google Doc link. If you do not show up, it will simply mean an elimination for you. This round I cannot make any exceptions.

For those who have never watched or played Jeopardy, here's a brief synopsis of how it works. There are typically 5 themes with 5 answers under each theme. The board would look something like this:

A depiction of the Jeopardy! game board

When you choose a dollar value, you are given a statement, an answer. You have to provide the question to it which starts with the term "What is" or "Who is" or "Where is". For example, if one of the themes was Famous Places and you chose the $200 box, you might get an answer like "This is one of the 7 Wonders of the World and is considered a symbol of love". The correct way to answer that is "What is Taj Mahal?". You cannot simply say Taj Mahal. It has to be in the right format to count.

The way the game will be played is I will have 3 to 5 of you on Google Doc. I will randomly choose one person to start. That person gets to choose the category and question from that category. Once I post the question, the first person to write "Me" gets a chance to answer it. If they are wrong, the others all get 1 more attempt to be first to answer it. If it's still wrong, then I tell you the answer and we move on.

Please remember, the answer has to be in the correct format starting with "What is", "Where is", or "Who is", depending on the stem and category. Even if your answer is right, it will be considered incorrect if it isn't in the right format and someone else will take away those points from you.

As you may have guessed already, if your answer is wrong, there is negative marking. This means just like you add money for getting the right answer, you also lose money when you answer incorrectly. Note that the above board is just an example. The one you will play on with me is different with each stem being associated with a certain number of points.

The person who answers correctly, gets a chance to choose the next question. If no one answers correctly, then the person who originally chose will get to choose again. Note that choosing simply means that the person can choose something that is their strong suit. It doesn't give them first dibs to answer. They still have to be ready with a "Me" to get a chance to answer.

When we get on the Google Doc, I will ask you to identify yourself so that I assign the points to the right person. smiley36

Each "group" will get 20 minutes to play. If we finish the board before that, then well and good else we will stop at exactly 20 minutes from when we start.

If you've gotten to the end of this post, then well and good. If you haven't then tough luck for you. I will not be repeating myself during your slotted time. I am going into each slot with the expectation that you have read this entire post and asked any questions you needed to well in advance of your slotted time whether through PM or in this thread.

This round is expected to last until Oct 17th 11:59 PM IST.

Tags - oh_nakhrewaali

BeingBlunt thumbnail

Originally posted by: Minionite

Well wasn't that fun? Before I reveal the top 10% scorers who got the special privilege, here are the answers to the round.

1. A town in the Peloponnese region of Greece, Kalamata - I needed the name of the town/city for it to count.
  2. Pomelo
  3. Gullah
  4. It is a water bath that is used to keep delicate items like cheesecakes and set custards from curdling, cracking, or overcooking as they bake - Just to be clear I did not accept "water bath" as the answer alone - you had to explain it. It didn't have to be the exact explanation above, but something explaining why it is used.
  5. Mangosteen
  6. Herbes de Provence
  7. It is a selection of hot and cold dishes, typically served as an hors d'oeuvre in Turkish, Greek, and Middle Eastern cooking.
  9. Marzipan
  10. Literally means “everything in its place” and it describes the measuring and preparation of ingredients prior to cooking
  11. Cardoon
  12. Jellotine
  13. Gordon Ramsay
  14. Kayinja banana
  15. Saffron
  16. Durian
  17. Apples, pears, cherries, peaches, or strawberries - Any of these answers got you points.
  18. Salers cheese
  20. 16

Nice. So the banana and no 5 was wrong. As I expected. I thought banana bhi laga gaya tha. But great game. smiley40
Nichuss thumbnail

2. Pomelo
  3. Gullah
  5. Mangosteen
  6. Herbes de Provence
  9. Marzipan
  11. Cardoon
  12. Jellotine
  13. Gordon Ramsay
  14. Kayinja banana
  15. Saffron
  16. Durian
  18. Salers cheese
  20. 16

Pomelo is also called grapefruit right?..its a hybrid variety

minakrish thumbnail

Yay for Round 1 Results smiley41 and Nay for Round 2 smiley29

BeingBlunt thumbnail

Over the next 3 days, 3 to 5 people will compete on a Google doc with a Jeopardy board based on....cricket. That's right. This round's theme is cricket.

People have already chosen their slots and been assigned one. Please note that about 10 minutes before that time I will send you the Google Doc link. If you do not show up, it will simply mean an elimination for you. This round I cannot make any exceptions.

For those who have never watched or played Jeopardy, here's a brief synopsis of how it works. There are typically 5 themes with 5 answers under each theme. The board would look something like this:

A depiction of the Jeopardy! game board

When you choose a dollar value, you are given a statement, an answer. You have to provide the question to it which starts with the term "What is" or "Who is" or "Where is". For example, if one of the themes was Famous Places and you chose the $200 box, you might get an answer like "This is one of the 7 Wonders of the World and is considered a symbol of love". The correct way to answer that is "What is Taj Mahal?". You cannot simply say Taj Mahal. It has to be in the right format to count.

The way the game will be played is I will have 3 to 5 of you on Google Doc. I will randomly choose one person to start. That person gets to choose the category and question from that category. Once I post the question, the first person to write "Me" gets a chance to answer it. If they are wrong, the others all get 1 more attempt to be first to answer it. If it's still wrong, then I tell you the answer and we move on.

Please remember, the answer has to be in the correct format starting with "What is", "Where is", or "Who is", depending on the stem and category. Even if your answer is right, it will be considered incorrect if it isn't in the right format and someone else will take away those points from you.

As you may have guessed already, if your answer is wrong, there is negative marking. This means just like you add money for getting the right answer, you also lose money when you answer incorrectly. Note that the above board is just an example. The one you will play on with me is different with each stem being associated with a certain number of points.

The person who answers correctly, gets a chance to choose the next question. If no one answers correctly, then the person who originally chose will get to choose again. Note that choosing simply means that the person can choose something that is their strong suit. It doesn't give them first dibs to answer. They still have to be ready with a "Me" to get a chance to answer.

When we get on the Google Doc, I will ask you to identify yourself so that I assign the points to the right person. smiley36

Each "group" will get 20 minutes to play. If we finish the board before that, then well and good else we will stop at exactly 20 minutes from when we start.

If you've gotten to the end of this post, then well and good. If you haven't then tough luck for you. I will not be repeating myself during your slotted time. I am going into each slot with the expectation that you have read this entire post and asked any questions you needed to well in advance of your slotted time whether through PM or in this thread.

This round is expected to last until Oct 17th 11:59 PM IST.

Tags - oh_nakhrewaali

I was going to skip this using my privilege but Cricket stopped me. Now this is a test of my reputation of the most knowledgeable cricket guy on IF and 2 time encyclopedia winner. smiley36
mushat thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: minakrish

Congratulations smiley40Full score wah.. well done

SoniRita thumbnail
Posted: 13 hours ago

Originally posted by: minakrish

congrats Suyash, Mina, Hiral and LID for topping with 180 pts.