Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nishita123 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 14 days ago

Originally posted by: hotchoco

If you think Ranbir can win any popularity contest against SRK, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. smiley36

None of my post said that. you are assuming All I’m saying is these award functions are not genuine and IIFA is not an exception this year just because SRK won smiley36

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Ha! I already wondered why it took so long, this discussion about the IIFA wins... smiley36

I know, I repeat myself: Is there even a n y film-award that can't get influenced/manipulated/bought? the Oscars, too... (and I think that awards in general are debatable)

To me, those award shows are just that: shows (where sponsors are the most important people and the star/winners only there to make these ego-shows happen). Don't know who get the money of those who pay to see the shows...

Edited by Clochette - 14 days ago
RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Clochette

Ha! I already wondered why it took so long, this discussion about the IIFA wins... smiley36

I know, I repeat myself: Is there even a n y film-award that can't get influenced/manipulated/bought? Not even the Oscars. (and I think that awards in general are debatable)

I think so many were burnt out by Filmfare that there was no desire to repeat that debacle even though IIFA ended very differently. But the loss of faith in one awards show sorta enveloped them all.

But I'll stand by what I said elsewhere, that the IIFA winners (SRK and Rani) were who the Filmfare winners should have been. There would have been no controversy had SRK and Rani won as most had wanted and predicted. Even before this year's ceremony, there were several posters who said that IIFA tends to be a more accurate barometer than Filmfare of who the real winners are so this is not a new idea.

And yes, people are very quick here to claim that only in India are awards bought and everywhere else, particularly the Oscars, everything is perfect and given on merit. This is a gross misunderstanding because the Oscars are just like the Filmfare. The difference is that politics rule the Oscars and they've always been very political and based on who campaigns the most. And Harvey Weinstein was called the kingmaker because the money he poured into Oscar campaigns was responsible for most of the wings from the late 90s-2000s period. I'd argue that the Oscars used to be way more fixed than the Filmfare awards were, at least until the last couple of years.

I won't even go into the EEAAO incident, where there was rampant rule violation that was overlooked because AMPAS wanted that film and its cast to win.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

What theories? Public voting would not get those two ANY award. They arranged it for themselves where they could collude with Jitesh and whatever 2 or 3 people were on the jury this year. I like Alia way more than Ranveer but he was the only one worth watching in that boring movie. She couldn't even play a basic and easy role well because she's not made for mainstream heroine stuff.

They thought they were going to look amazing and prove what a power couple they are and instead got severe backlash. There was hate all over Twitter and Instagram from all sorts of random neutral accounts with thousands of likes and retweets.

Exactly. Remember Alia even shut off the comments on her post celebrating her win because the backlash was so bad. She definitely knew. Everyone laughed at how Neetu Singh kept the comments on her celebratory post because she wanted her bahu dragged online.

The truth of the matter is that Filmfare has had favorites before like Kajol and Vidya. I don't think they deserved to win every year that they did win. But these two are still generally well-liked and popular actresses with the masses. People believed in the credibility of the awards going to them because of their reputations and because they're considered strong actresses. Alia lacks the credibility factor AND the popularity factor. You can believe Kajol and Vidya would have some of the most awards in a way you cannot believe for Alia.

This "power couple" has not been forgiven. There's been so much more goodwill towards IIFA because they awarded the best actors on merit and based on audience rankings.

What do you mean? Here's the voting page: https://gv2024.iifa.com/ And it's stated at the awards show itself as well.

Rani is a legacy actress and people were mad about Alia winning already this year so nothing surprising if they tried to vote for someone else. People like Taapsee have no popularity anyway. Nobody cared about Deepika in Pathaan. I mean what other option was there?

I follow the Reddit and Instagram comments for these awards. For Best Actress, people wanted Rani or Kiara. There was goodwill towards Taapsee as well but in a popularity contest, she won't win. Deepika's Pathaan nomination was due to her popularity as an actress and the success of the film. Most everyone agreed that Jawan was her better work that year but that was a supporting role so there's more recognition from a Lead Actress nomination than a Supporting Actress nomination.

I think votes skewing towards SRK (and keep in mind that for Filmfare, he had 2 nominations. It's not always the case, but generally speaking, if any actor has double nominations, they're going to win) also meant votes skewed towards Rani over Kiara. There was a feeling that these two legacy actors should be standing on stage together reunited. That sense is amplified when you consider Aishwarya got the Best Actress in the IIFA Utsavam awards. People like seeing their favorites win, particularly favorites who are actually stars/superstars and have ruled the screens for decades now.

If Kiara had won Best Actress, that feeling would not have been quite the same if she's standing onstage with SRK the way it felt with Rani with him.

In many ways, the votes for the IIFA winners was very much a public referendum on the Filmfare winners (Aishwarya also did not win at Filmare South). What people should get out of this is that the IIFA winners are what the public wanted. Filmfare winners are what a handful of elites are trying to force onto the public but the public isn't buying it anymore. After years of being forced to, we've had enough now.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

In hindsight of the popularity tag, I think that IIFA reflected the 2023 mood better than Filmfare.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

In hindsight of the popularity tag, I think that IIFA reflected the 2023 mood better than Filmfare.

Let's just hope Filmfare takes note but much of the damage is done. It'll take many years now to resalvage their reputation.

I'm most interested in the Best Actress choices for next year's Filmfare. I feel Kriti has a real shot with TBMAUJ. Shraddha will probably get a nomination for Stree 2 due to its overwhelming success. I see Vidya getting recognition for BB3. It will be interesting to see if Vidya can get back in Filmfare's good graces or if Shraddha or Kriti will have this year's win. Shraddha is riding on the biggest success while I think Kriti's TBMAUJ is sorta like Jab We Met. A film that wasn't in the top ten of its year so it was only a mild commercial success, but it stuck with viewers and has become an audience favorite romcom whose legacy will be greater than its box office. Sifra being a fan favorite character could help Kriti secure the win.

Parineeti is sadly not in the running since Chamkila was not released in theaters. Otherwise, I'd say she deserves the win most.

cougarTown thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

Let's just hope Filmfare takes note but much of the damage is done. It'll take many years now to resalvage their reputation.

I'm most interested in the Best Actress choices for next year's Filmfare. I feel Kriti has a real shot with TBMAUJ. Shraddha will probably get a nomination for Stree 2 due to its overwhelming success. I see Vidya getting recognition for BB3. It will be interesting to see if Vidya can get back in Filmfare's good graces or if Shraddha or Kriti will have this year's win. Shraddha is riding on the biggest success while I think Kriti's TBMAUJ is sorta like Jab We Met. A film that wasn't in the top ten of its year so it was only a mild commercial success, but it stuck with viewers and has become an audience favorite romcom whose legacy will be greater than its box office. Sifra being a fan favorite character could help Kriti secure the win.

Parineeti is sadly not in the running since Chamkila was not released in theaters. Otherwise, I'd say she deserves the win most.

Alia is winning it for Jigra again unless the movie bombs badly or her performance is surprisingly underwhelming..i don't even see a competition..kriti winning for TBMALJ is beyong optimistic..and it was a good performance..not an award winning performance..same how alia's was in RARKPK..doubt they want that backlash again

hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

Filmfare doesn't care. There was a massive backlash during one of the pandemic years too. You would find the topics even on this forum where there were so many threads about it. And on the rest of the internet too. I remember in one of those years, KJo and his friends were on the jury and nearly all the winners were Dharma-related. It was beyond pathetic. You'd think after that grand public lashing, they would change things but they do not care. In one of the years, they even dumped the awards on some random day at 12 noon on TV.

I mean Alia now has 5 Filmfare Best Actress awards tying for the highest ever with Nutan and Kajol. And she is only 31 years old. After mini Meryl Streep, she is getting herself called the female Bachchan now while not even being able to pull off a simple heroine role like in Rocky and Rani.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: cougarTown

Alia is winning it for Jigra again unless the movie bombs badly or her performance is surprisingly underwhelming..i don't even see a competition..kriti winning for TBMALJ is beyong optimistic..and it was a good performance..not an award winning performance..same how alia's was in RARKPK..doubt they want that backlash again

We'll see if the people involved have learned their lesson or not. I doubt they have learned anything but they're just killing Bollywood and Filmfare even quicker if they try to resort to such trickery again. If she thinks having the most Best Actress Filmfares, and breaking that record with a flimsy film like Jigra, will earn her anymore audience respect, she has another thing coming.

I don't agree that Kriti in TBMAUJ is equivalent to Alia winning for Rocky aur Rani. Alia was considered the least impressive performance in her movie. Her sarees were the most noteworthy thing about her. She couldn't even attempt to play a Bengali. I actually liked her performance more than most here, but it wasn't noteworthy. Ranveer's role was written for him and no one else could pull that off. KJo said he wrote Rani for Alia but just about any actress could have done it. Kajol, Rani, Preity, Aishwarya in their heydays could have done this and far more successfully. From the current crop, Deepika, Anushka, Parineeti, and I'd argue even Katrina could have done this (minus the Bengali part for Katrina but it's not like Alia made any efforts there either).

Meanwhile there was genuine audience love for Kriti's role in TBMALJ. When that film debuted, I saw rave reviews for the movie and especially Kriti's performance that Sifra was going to become an iconic fan fav. We'll have to wait some years to see if that actually happens or not, but these were some of the best reviews I've seen from Kriti and I'm talking about regular people here, not critics. People I know who don't even like Bollywood generally found this movie very fresh and creative. I'd have to see the full lineup of the year's nominated female performances to see if Kriti really is the best or not, but it wouldn't shock me if she was considered the most memorable. It may also been in Filmfare's favor to let an outsider win next year, whether it's someone like Vidya or Kriti.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Filmfare doesn't care. There was a massive backlash during one of the pandemic years too. You would find the topics even on this forum where there were so many threads about it. And on the rest of the internet too. I remember in one of those years, KJo and his friends were on the jury and nearly all the winners were Dharma-related. It was beyond pathetic. You'd think after that grand public lashing, they would change things but they do not care. In one of the years, they even dumped the awards on some random day at 12 noon on TV.

I mean Alia now has 5 Filmfare Best Actress awards tying for the highest ever with Nutan and Kajol. And she is only 31 years old. After mini Meryl Streep, she is getting herself called the female Bachchan now while not even being able to pull off a simple heroine role like in Rocky and Rani.

During the COVID years, I was very detached from Bollywood especially due to the lack of any good films being released. So I missed all that discussion. I do agree there was backlash against Alia and Dharma long before 2024's Filmfare Awards, but I think what made this year different than the rest is because it came after 2023 was the big return of Bollywood. Alia's years in the industry, when she was winning awards left and right, were also when most Hindi films were flopping. Hollywood and South Indian films were taking over and there was a dearth of good roles for actresses. Anushka retired, Priyanka went to America, Katrina's roles were never taken seriously, Deepika had a long sabbatical because of Padmaavat, so Alia was able to take advantage of that and sweep in.

Then 2023 came with some of the most blockbusters like SRK's grand return to cinema and Sunny in Gadar 2. Audiences had been starved for good content and actual stars for so long that this felt like a return to form for Bollywood, along with content-driven films like 12th Fail. So to see all that negated in this year's Filmfare, and it still being treated like one of the COVID years where KJo and his adopted daughter are allowed to claim everything for themselves, was one time too much. They failed to read the room. They thought because they had gotten away with this before, with some criticism but not super prevalent, that they could pull the same stunt. But the audience has caught on now. 2023 re-energized them into remembering what Bollywood could be like, plus the now open awareness of how Dharma makes fake box office records for their films and pays critics for good reviews (SOTY2 anyone). People are more aware of the game now than they were before but Dharma is operating like this isn't the case.

The biggest tip-off to the guilty parties involved is that it's not just audiences now retaliating but also the industry themselves. The power couple got their awards but nobody was there to clap for them except their own family. Every major star skipped Filmfare this year. Nobody wanted to attend because they all knew what was up. In contrast, IIFA got all the major stars back and in full attendance. KJo isn't afraid of pissing off the audience but I think he's more likely to temper himself if he sees the rest of elite Bollywood isn't going to play his games anymore.