Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sharaban thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 days ago

Originally posted by: JeanieBeanie

Man she was phenomenal in Kaun! I had almost forgotten about this one. It's one of, if not the best thriller Bollywood has made. Super slept on. I wish it developed a cult following of sorts over the years. I don't know if a sequel would be good or not good. Sometimes an open ending keeps the thrill of the story alive. Sometimes a continuation makes it better.

Regardless, Urmila was so amazing in it. She was amazing in everything she did, frankly. She checked all the boxes- magnificent dancer, looker, exceptional acting skills, natural and confident sexiness, strong screen presence. She had it all. She had the talent to be a bigger star than she ended up being. Don't know why she turned down some of the big mainstream films she was offered, they would have changed the audience and industry's perception of her and made her a mainstream star. Does anyone know why she walked out of DTPH?

I wish her career panned out similar to Tabu's. Tabu's success was a long time coming and Urmila certainly deserved a similar trajectory, working in parallel with Tabu today. I really wish she would make a comeback. There are so many opportunities in the ott world for someone of her caliber. We really missed out. I know I kind of segwayed into ranting and singing her praises but like, how can I not???

She left DTPH to do Judaai which was originally offered to Karishma, both of them swapped these projects.

Both DTPH and Judaai were superhits, so she had not lost anything there.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: sharaban

She left DTPH to do Judaai which was originally offered to Karishma, both of them swapped these projects.

Both DTPH and Judaai were superhits, so she had not lost anything there.

Dil To Pagal Hai was a blockbuster. Highest grossing movie of the year worldwide. Karishma's performance got her both a Filmfare and National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress.

While both films are still popular to this day, Karishma's character in Dil To Pagal Hai particularly took on a life of her own. I see so many people say they loved Pooja and wished she got more screentime or a better ending. Very few people resonate with Madhuri's character, although she was the lead, whereas everyone still adores Karishma's Nisha. Le Gayi also seems like the most popular song from the movie since it's the one that still plays the most and was picturized on Karishma.

In comparison, Sridevi's character of Kajal stole the show. Urmila was good as Jhanvi but she never overshadowed the lead the way Karishma did with Madhuri in DTPH. So Urmila got accolades for her performance but no awards and her Jhanvi was never considered all that sympathetic or popular. In fact, the character's biggest legacy is that both Sridevi and Juhi liked the name enough to name their daughters Jhanvi. So we can blame this movie for Janhvi Kapoor.

I'm curious if Urmila could have overshowed the lead role in Judaai if Madhuri had played her instead of Sridevi. This is the closest we can tell from that in this Judaai reenactment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zVcKU7mLeM

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: JeanieBeanie

Man she was phenomenal in Kaun! I had almost forgotten about this one. It's one of, if not the best thriller Bollywood has made. Super slept on. I wish it developed a cult following of sorts over the years. I don't know if a sequel would be good or not good. Sometimes an open ending keeps the thrill of the story alive. Sometimes a continuation makes it better.

Regardless, Urmila was so amazing in it. She was amazing in everything she did, frankly. She checked all the boxes- magnificent dancer, looker, exceptional acting skills, natural and confident sexiness, strong screen presence. She had it all. She had the talent to be a bigger star than she ended up being. Don't know why she turned down some of the big mainstream films she was offered, they would have changed the audience and industry's perception of her and made her a mainstream star. Does anyone know why she walked out of DTPH?

I wish her career panned out similar to Tabu's. Tabu's success was a long time coming and Urmila certainly deserved a similar trajectory, working in parallel with Tabu today. I really wish she would make a comeback. There are so many opportunities in the ott world for someone of her caliber. We really missed out. I know I kind of segwayed into ranting and singing her praises but like, how can I not???

I agree with everything you said. So glad to see another Urmila admirer because I didn't grow up with her films, but when I became exposed to them, she became a fast fav.

I don't think she cared much for the big banners. She was offered a contract by YRF but refused. Some of her comments also indicate that she felt the industry was dominated by nepokids and big banners and there was no place for her in it. She lamented the fact that she never got the accolades she felt she deserved. Perhaps she felt there was no scope for her with YRF because they'd focus on starkids instead, so at least this way she could keep her own choice of projects.

Urmila is not alone in feeling this way because Shilpa Shetty, Ameesha Patel, and Mahima Chaudhary have all also said that they never felt included or given praise for their work.

Urmila filmed DTPH for one day before quitting. 90s actresses were very competitive and there were lots of rivalries back then. Sridevi vs Madhuri, Madhuri vs Juhi, Karishma vs Raveena, etc. Juhi was first choice for Nisha in DTPH but she didn't want to play second fiddle to Madhuri and was also insulted by being told she's no Madhuri Dixit, so she rejected the role. It's possible Urmila felt that her role was not as good as Madhuri's and maybe she was insecure. But she had no problem playing second fiddle to Sridevi so maybe that wasn't the issue after all, since I've never heard of her and Madhuri having a feud. She's always praised SRK so it couldn't have been an issue with him either. Maybe the issue was with YRF.

Tabu is part of a film family so that's partly why she's been able to sustain a career over decades. She's always had connections. Urmila was an outsider and her only connection to the Bollywood elite is Manish Malhotra since they are close friends as his career was launched with hers on Rangeela. Otherwise, she's never included in the big Bollywood events unless Manish Malhotra is hosting.

Urmila had an OTT show, Tiwari, which was supposed to come out but it mysteriously never materialized. No one knows why it wasn't released. Joining politics and being outspoken against BJP could be a factor but I don't know.

infinity101 thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 4

I think some classics should be left alone. They ruin them with the sequels anyway.

infinity101 thumbnail

Originally posted by: cougarTown

So many 90s and early 2000s movies of Urmila & Tabu..and you wonder how good those were and how amazing they were yet they were not awarded..those were totally weird times..i mean how could urmila's performance in kaun not win every possible award in the country? i agree Aish deserved all awards for HDDCS the same year..she was magic..but at least they could have awarded urmila the critics award..or was she? same for tabu in chandni bar..she definitely deserved the main awards instead of kajol for K3G..but we all know how awards function and nothing has changed till date..only time it was fair was when urmila won for bhoot over preity in KHNH in screen awards but FF again did the typical..

You are telling me Aish won that year for HDDCS over Urmila for Kaun? smiley3 That’s shocking!
infinity101 thumbnail

Originally posted by: sharaban

Kaun was WAY AHEAD of its time (90s), still it managed to do semi hit business and was succesful at boxoffice which is great, imo.

I loved all of the interiors/show-pieces in that house and the two-note' piano music as its background music... that added a lot to the mystery mood and environment of this film.

I remember sitting over the edge of my seat whole time I watched the film for the first time. The atmosphere manages to stay tense throughout! Actually made me scared for being alone at home lol.
sharaban thumbnail

Originally posted by: infinity101

You are telling me Aish won that year for HDDCS over Urmila for Kaun? smiley3 That’s shocking!

That was and still a routine of FF to award the ones , usually , having more commercial successful film.

Hardly had to do with acting.....these awards

Mr.Abrol thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

But that sounds like a prequel .

Anyhow , the thrill culminating into an omg ending was its main USP . Next one better surpass it as the expectation would be .

Now those ideas for the plot apparently suggest more of a tragic/crime drama than an omg thriller ( killer is already known anyways so there is already no scope for it ? ) . Well.... the shift in genre might work for some if it comes out intriguing overall (i.e. not just plot but acting,screenplay,direction everything)

Write whole plot & post . Then I can look into & answer clearly .

sharaban thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mr.Abrol

But that sounds like a prequel .

Anyhow , the thrill culminating into an omg ending was its main USP . Next one better surpass it as the expectation would be .

Now those ideas for the plot apparently suggest more of a tragic/crime drama than an omg thriller ( killer is already known anyways so there is already no scope for it ? ) . Well.... the shift in genre might work for some if it comes out intriguing overall (i.e. not just plot but acting,screenplay,direction everything)

Write whole plot & post . Then I can look into & answer clearly .

Good post with some logical pointers.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Love ke liye kuch bhi karega 2