Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cougarTown thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 12 days ago

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

Urmila spoke out a bit about this and how Filmfare never gave her much credit because she was an outsider in the industry. And whereas some outsiders still got success and credit from pairing with big banners like Yash Raj films, Urmila refused to do that. Because she remained Ram Gopal Varma's muse, and he was not really in the elite Bollywood clique, she was never part of it either. Despite YRF desperately trying to sign her, first for Dil To Pagal Hai (filmed for a day before quitting) and then again in the late 2000s. Her main connection to the industry is close friend Manish Malhotra who includes her in all his events because his career was launched with hers on Rangeela where he dressed her.

So I'm not surprised she was ignored for Kaun.

Urmila only won one Filmfare, which was the Critics Award for Bhoot. As you said, she did win the Screen Award over Preity for KHNH, but at Filmfare she could only win the Critics Award.

Tabu also won the Critics Award at Filmfare whereas Kajol won the main award for K3G. But Tabu actually did win the IIFA Best Actress award over Kajol. IIFA has never cared for Kajol much so she's never won an award there (and wasn't even nominated for My Name is Khan).

Urmila really deserved a double nomination in 2003 since her two greatest performances (better than Bhoot imo even if Bhoot was the only one of these three films to be a hit) were in Tehzeeb and especially Pinjar. Very disappointed she never received recognition for either of these two movies even if she did get recognition for Bhoot that year instead.

Urmila also should have won the Critics Award for Ek Hasina Thi in 2004 imo.

If you notice, Filmfare mainly grouped Tabu, Manisha, and Urmila as actresses who weren't commercial enough so all their wins were only with the Critics Award rather than the regular Filmfare award. Tabu has won several Critics Awards and so has Manisha but both never got anywhere close to the main award. I thought Tabu might have with Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 since that was such a huge success but we all know who won that year.

Yep tabu got critics for BB 2 and she was absolutely amazing in it..but i feel alia deserved all awards for gangu coz she carried the entire movie on her shoulders and she was amazing too..so 2022 is not the year i have issues wrt the winners but overall yep..tabu & urmila were robbed..pretty harshly..manisha was never in their league imo in terms of performances..she was always too melodramatic and OTT..these two were amazing. It feels great to know that tabu is now finally getting her due and doing so so well but sad to see Urmila completely out of the picture.

BhataktiJawani thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

This is the best bw thriller ever imo. I am yet to see a movie as gripping as this one. Absolutely loved Urmilla in this smiley43

I bet if some super duper popular actor was part of it it would have been a HUGE blockbuster on Box office & more people must have known about it.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

The movie is cult...and rightly so smiley1

sharaban thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: BhataktiJawani

This is the best bw thriller ever imo. I am yet to see a movie as gripping as this one. Absolutely loved Urmilla in this smiley43

I bet if some super duper popular actor was part of it it would have been a HUGE blockbuster on Box office & more people must have known about it.

Kaun was WAY AHEAD of its time (90s), still it managed to do semi hit business and was succesful at boxoffice which is great, imo.

I loved all of the interiors/show-pieces in that house and the two-note' piano music as its background music... that added a lot to the mystery mood and environment of this film.

BhataktiJawani thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: sharaban

Kaun was WAY AHEAD of its time (90s), still it managed to do semi hit business and was succesful at boxoffice which is great, imo.

I loved all of the interiors/show-pieces in that house and the two-note' piano music as its background music... that added a lot to the mystery mood and environment of this film.

I know right. Way ahead of its time. But my point is hardly anyone knows about it despite it being the best thriller ever made in BW. Agar koi super duper popular actor like Salman/SRK/Aamir was part of it and was playing Urmilla ka male version toh 100% ye movie aj Boht popular hoti among masses or they would have won film fare awards. It’s all about Star power at the end of the day which Urmilla never had unfortunately.

sharaban thumbnail

I know right. Way ahead of its time. But my point is hardly anyone knows about it despite it being the best thriller ever made in BW. Agar koi super duper popular actor like Salman/SRK/Aamir was part of it and was playing Urmilla ka male version toh 100% ye movie aj Boht popular hoti among masses or they would have won film fare awards. It’s all about Star power at the end of the day which Urmilla never had unfortunately.

I guess Kaun was a very niche movie for its time, songless and just 1.5 hrs, been set within just one house, having just one character in the first half hour and only two characters for first one hour on screen.

I guess Kaun targetted its niche audience well and was a success.

Not sure if it would be a masses darling provided a male superstar would have been here, as this film was way too different...may not be a cup of tea for everyone, especially of the masala lover audience of the 90s.

I_M_SultaN thumbnail

wah burhao blocked me good riddance smiley19 tera yeh dar mujhe acha laga smiley2

sharaban thumbnail

Lame badtameez kids having no manners to talk, needs to be blocked for good.

About time.

Kiyun bilawajah kisi fuzool say immature insaan ki bak bak aur badtameezi bardaasht karna.

No...?

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

I think the storyline was such that it wouldn't have appealed to the masses. Too claustrophobic, like a stage show, set in only one house and only 3 actors onscreen. Another thing is that Urmila's role wouldn't have worked with a male actor. We're more inclined to trust her and believe her as an innocent because she's a woman. The threat of two men as intruders in the house is also heightened because she's the sole woman which wouldn't have worked as well if it was a man playing her character.

Female villains were still very scarce in Bollywood, let alone female killers, so like Gupt, this film operated on the twist of the heroine being the killer.

JeanieBeanie thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 days ago

Man she was phenomenal in Kaun! I had almost forgotten about this one. It's one of, if not the best thriller Bollywood has made. Super slept on. I wish it developed a cult following of sorts over the years. I don't know if a sequel would be good or not good. Sometimes an open ending keeps the thrill of the story alive. Sometimes a continuation makes it better.

Regardless, Urmila was so amazing in it. She was amazing in everything she did, frankly. She checked all the boxes- magnificent dancer, looker, exceptional acting skills, natural and confident sexiness, strong screen presence. She had it all. She had the talent to be a bigger star than she ended up being. Don't know why she turned down some of the big mainstream films she was offered, they would have changed the audience and industry's perception of her and made her a mainstream star. Does anyone know why she walked out of DTPH?

I wish her career panned out similar to Tabu's. Tabu's success was a long time coming and Urmila certainly deserved a similar trajectory, working in parallel with Tabu today. I really wish she would make a comeback. There are so many opportunities in the ott world for someone of her caliber. We really missed out. I know I kind of segwayed into ranting and singing her praises but like, how can I not???