Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

GoodDoc_2105 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 22 days ago

Indus Valley civilisation is one of the oldest civilisations developed indigenously in the area of Sindhu river. Sumerian/Mesopotaemian civilisation Egyptian civilisations were contemporary since there's evidence of trading between these regions.

The reason for it's decline may be due to famines epidemics and may be the bronze age collapse in egypt and mesopotaemia may have affected the trade too.

Nomadic pastoralists from steppes entered the region much later and by then the IVC people seemed to have moved to south and to the east

There may not have been an invasion but conflicts between people who arrived later in the region and the people who are already living there must have definitely happened before they settled down to live together in the region.

Edited by GoodDoc_2105 - 22 days ago
devashree_h thumbnail
Posted: 21 days ago

Originally posted by: GoodDoc_2105

Indus Valley civilisation is one of the oldest civilisations developed indigenously in the area of Sindhu river. Sumerian/Mesopotaemian civilisation Egyptian civilisations were contemporary since there's evidence of trading between these regions.

The reason for it's decline may be due to famines epidemics and may be the bronze age collapse in egypt and mesopotaemia may have affected the trade too.

Nomadic pastoralists from steppes entered the region much later and by then the IVC people seemed to have moved to south and to the east

There may not have been an invasion but conflicts between people who arrived later in the region and the people who are already living there must have definitely happened before they settled down to live together in the region.

Actually, other than IVC, there were other people living in the vicinity. For eg:, the surrounding of Ganga. It seems like climate change could have been a major reason for collapse of IVC. Also, drying up of Saraswati river.

FlauntPessimism thumbnail
ICC T20 CWC 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 21 days ago

Originally posted by: devashree_h

Actually, other than IVC, there were other people living in the vicinity. For eg:, the surrounding of Ganga. It seems like climate change could have been a major reason for collapse of IVC. Also, drying up of Saraswati river.

While IVC is contemporary to major ancient civilizations, it is also most vast and spread across civilization of its era

Nichuss thumbnail
Posted: 20 days ago

Gud informative discussion...

I was confused n curious wat ssvc .. thus peeped in here...

Surprised to read indus valley civilization changed to sindhu saraswati valley civilization..

devashree_h thumbnail

I guess the speciality of IVC was same size bricks, standardized weights, drainage system.

devashree_h thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nichuss

Gud informative discussion...

I was confused n curious wat ssvc .. thus peeped in here...

Surprised to read indus valley civilization changed to sindhu saraswati valley civilization..

Yes, it's still popularly called Indus Valley Civilization. But since majority of sites are supposed to be in ancient Saraswati plains, it's now called SSVC at least in India.

devashree_h thumbnail
Posted: 19 days ago

Let's now discuss famous Seals from IVC

Pashupatinath Seal: Possibly the most famous, it has a divine figure in Yogic position.

https://x.com/GemsOfINDOLOGY/status/1606288655533891584?t=QE383RGFJ3r3-FptpllGpQ&s=19

Unicorn Seal:

https://x.com/IndicHistory/status/1826622754252112021?t=4htQ01Os3vEPYVYQ6nIPow&s=19

chatterbox thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: devashree_h

Let's now discuss famous Seals from IVC

Pashupatinath Seal: Possibly the most famous, it has a divine figure in Yogic position.

https://x.com/GemsOfINDOLOGY/status/1606288655533891584?t=QE383RGFJ3r3-FptpllGpQ&s=19

Unicorn Seal:

https://x.com/IndicHistory/status/1826622754252112021?t=4htQ01Os3vEPYVYQ6nIPow&s=19

Wow my memory failed me. I can't remember this at all.

I can only remember ABT indus valley civilisation. Mohenjodaro and Harappa. .but it has been a large number of years so I can't remember what I read in school...🥺

Abc775 thumbnail
ICC T20 CWC 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail ICC T20 CWC 2024 Participants 0 Thumbnail + 6
Historians identify the figure on Pashupati seal as Proto Shiva in meditative position. Most of the SSVC seals were made of steatite although other materials were also used.
devashree_h thumbnail
Posted: 17 days ago

Lothal

Worlds earliest known dock. Had drainage system. They Possibly worshipped a Fire God and had lot of similarities with Vedic practices.