SSVC - Indus Valley Civilization Discussion Thread

devashree_h thumbnail
Posted: 25 days ago

Let's start a discussion about one of Oldest Civilization of the World. May be we can gather information about this Civilization in this thread.

Resources:

A Partial Decipherment of the Indus Valley Script: Proposed Phonetic and Logographic Values for Selected Indus Signs and Readings of Indus Texts by Steve Bonta

https://www.academia.edu/105134798/A_Partial_Decipherment_of_the_Indus_Valley_Script_Proposed_Phonetic_and_Logographic_Values_for_Selected_Indus_Signs_and_Readings_of_Indus_Texts

Edited by devashree_h - 24 days ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

devashree_h thumbnail

Just found this tweet about what Harappans could have eaten.

https://x.com/Ancient_Indus/status/1825187401591054843?t=r77lwdJD81D3tBGTV61VXw&s=19

chatterbox thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3

Isn't indus valley civilisation the oldest. I think that's what we read in school...mohenjo daro and harrapaa civilization

devashree_h thumbnail

Originally posted by: chatterbox

Isn't indus valley civilisation the oldest. I think that's what we read in school...mohenjo daro and harrapaa civilization

It's not exactly THE oldest, it's one of the oldest civilizations. There were other contemporary Civilizations along with whom SSVC did trades.

chatterbox thumbnail

Originally posted by: devashree_h

It's not exactly THE oldest, it's one of the oldest civilizations. There were other contemporary Civilizations along with whom SSVC did trades.

Err what is ssvc🤦🙄

Hmm perhaps but I kind of remember this only ABT indus valley civilisation.

I had a chapter in history book ABT this in my school days. So kind of clicked 😂

Let me read few more info

chatterbox thumbnail

Can I put google links. Google says Mesopotamia civilization was the oldest

This link explain everything

U can delete if u feel it's not allowed

https://www.history.com/news/first-earliest-human-civilizations

devashree_h thumbnail

Err what is ssvc🤦🙄

Hmm perhaps but I kind of remember this only ABT indus valley civilisation.

I had a chapter in history book ABT this in my school days. So kind of clicked 😂

Let me read few more info

Indus Valley Civilization was called as such because earlier it was believed that it formed around Indus Valley. But later, more sites were found were around the presumed Saraswati river. That is why it was renamed to Sindhu Saraswati Civilization(SSVC).

devashree_h thumbnail

Can I put google links. Google says Mesopotamia civilization was the oldest

This link explain everything

U can delete if u feel it's not allowed

https://www.history.com/news/first-earliest-human-civilizations

There are no rules or regulations for posting in this topic. I am just happy you are discussing with me.smiley1

I will check out the link later, but Mesopotamians called IVC/SSVC as Meluha.

Remember the book 'Immortals of Meluha'.

chatterbox thumbnail

Originally posted by: devashree_h

There are no rules or regulations for posting in this topic. I am just happy you are discussing with me.smiley1

I will check out the link later, but Mesopotamians called IVC/SSVC as Meluha.

Remember the book 'Immortals of Meluha'.

Arre i m here since 19 yrs in between I was gayab but I understand the rules. So I try to follow as much as I can.

Books only school books I hv read that's why mentioned indus valley civilisation.

Let me recall more will answer u then

Thanks dear

FlauntPessimism thumbnail
ICC T20 CWC 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 6

The oldest civilization was of Mesopotamia, but IVC was nearly contemporary to that

Unfortunately however we don't know much about it.

Also the oldest of IVC sites are Mehergarh and Bhirrana. MohanJoDaro and Harrapa were amongst the oldest found.

Till date the biggest site of IVC is Rakhigiri

Just to add, few Indian historians/archeologists including the great B.B.Lal sir (commonly and lovingly called The Pitamah of Indian archeology) was of the opinion that this was a Vedic civilization. He called it SSVC or Saraswati Sindhu Valley Civilization