Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Loving2Missing2 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 2 months ago

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

I still remember the M.S. Subbulakshmi concert I went to years ago. Probably one of her last concerts at Shanmukhananda Hall in Mumbai. I was a child then, but somehow the memory still lingers. M.S. Amma's beatific smile and her eyes closed in devotion and bliss, turned heavenwards, dressed in a rich Kanjeevaram, her trademark bindi adorning her forehead, the gajra of jasmine flowers adorning her grey hair. I can't remember a single song she sang, but I can remember the respectful silence of the audience, heads swaying in rapt attention, and then the aahs and oohs of appreciation and the applause after she finished a song.

Some memories are stronger than the experience itself. Nothing spells nostalgia like this.

What are your most memorable live concerts?

Truly M S Amma was a divine goddess incarnated.

My one and only live concert in life has been Kumar Gandharva. My father was his huge fan and he took me for Gandharva Mehfil. I was almost a baby and didn't have understanding of music. It was his second inning of music after his illness. I saw his happiness in singing so the memory of his happy smile as he sang remained in my memory. The concert was truly a mesmerising experience. The memory of his high voice comes alive in my ears every time I hear his recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-z9ouGixLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P9Ct2cbjy8

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Alfaaz Addicts

Posted: 2 months ago

That sounds amazing. Kumar Gandharva was an absolute legend of course!

It’s thanks to my father (both my parents actually) that I got to witness so many live concerts. They were both music lovers and would insist on us kids tagging along whenever anyone played in the city. They were also members of this music club so we’d get discounted tickets or even free passes to concerts. I can really appreciate that exposure I got in my childhood and adolescence- it helped me hone my music appreciation skills a lot more.

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 months ago