Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LizzieBennet thumbnail
Posted: 2 months ago

Thank you for this important topic, creatives. Navigating consent is so important and date rape, I think, is the worst form of non-consent where the victim doesn’t even remember the event. I read a book (fiction) recently where this happens and the perpetrator is shown getting away even after a trial for lack of evidence because the victims did not realize anything happened - they just felt ‘off’ so they couldn’t even go for a medical check up in time to detect said drugs in the body. Even though it was fiction, it made me sick to my stomach.

Rohypnol can be detected upto 60 hours in your body but unfortunately this drug dissolves clearly in the drink and is tasteless so there is no way to tell. I went to a self-defense course with my kid not long ago and the instructor there told us about kits that are available that you can carry with you. They are like test strips that you can dip in your drink to detect if they’ve been spiked. Right now these are available for GHB and Ketamine but I do hope they come up with something for Rohypnol soon.

https://www.gov1.com/preventing-sexual-assault-and-intimate-partner-violence/articles/5-gadgets-that-alert-drinkers-to-date-rape-drugs-n2AXeJb4rn45lMFG/

This one claims to detect Rohypnol as well but I would check its authenticity

https://www.divasfordefense.com/products/date-rape-drug-test-kit-drink-guard-strips

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 months ago
Mysticaldivine thumbnail

Thank you for this critical discussion on date rape culture across the world. Date rape drugs are any drug used to make rape or assault easier. Alcohol is often used this way. Date rape drugs can be put into a drink without you knowing. Some experts call date rape "drug-facilitated sexual assault." Date rape can happen anywhere. It's especially common on college campuses.

Most of the time, a rape victim knows their attacker. Alcohol or drugs often play a part. If you're given them without your knowledge, you may be unable to say no or protect yourself.

For instance:

• Someone could give you more alcohol than you realize.
  • You could be lied to about the type or dose of drugs you're taking.
  • Your drink or food could be spiked with a drug.

It's also possible that you could be injected with a drug. But it all starts with your TRUST on that stranger who is your date. The best way to avoid falling into this trap is for someone to know your whereabouts, where you are and who you are with by accompanying you so you can outsmart the situation. Convey strongly and clearly your rights and demand respect. Meet and greet at public spaces. Have some cash in your pocket, especially if you need to call if something goes wrong with your cell phone. Don't underestimate the opponent. Beware of how much alcohol you are consuming. Don't put your drink down. If your drink is out of sight, even for a few minutes, don't finish it. Get yourself a new one. Don't accept an open drink from anyone. If you order a drink in a bar, watch the bartender open the bottle or mix your drink. Avoid punch bowls. With Roofies and GHB in circulation, you can't be sure what's in the punch, so think twice before you partake.

Talk to your date beforehand to ensure you are on the same page about where the night is going. Don't return to someone's room or leave a party with someone you don't know well. Trust your gut. If you feel at all uncomfortable, get out of the situation. When going on a date with someone new, tell a friend your plans so that someone knows where you will be. Make a pact with your friends to watch out for each other, and spread the word about these "date rape drugs" to everyone you know. Take a self-defence class. That way, you will know what to do if things get too physical.

Always remember, Your safety is in your own hands.

angelic2005 thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
In the west there were warning adverts advice like: Buy your own drinks. Never leave your drink alone, if you left it then don’t drink it. We don’t have these warnings anymore. It’s sad we have to think this way and you want to trust people around you. But best action is just to keep self safe regardless how silly you think your are being when extra cautious.
Hijo thumbnail
I really feel sorry for Indian subcontinent women.