Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 8 days ago

Originally posted by: Grumpydwarf24

Apparently "Call Me Bae" is getting good reviews.

I haven't watched the show or read the reviews. I did look at audience reactions and they seemed mixed. About half the viewers were saying they enjoyed the show and were very impressed by her. The other half felt her acting was not good and seemed inauthentic.

In the pecking order of these three, I think it's interesting that Sara started off getting all the hit films. She won Best Debut over Janhvi. But it seems like mixed-negative reviews for her performances (she didn't even get a Filmfare nomination for Atrangi Re and doesn't have any Best Actress nominations at all) have made her slide over to OTT. Does she have any theatrical films lined up now?

Meanwhile Janhvi started off decently with Dhadak. None of her films have been all that big and her reviews having been getting worse and worse with her solo box office films tanking. But she's still getting the most theatrical film offers and is now foraying into the South. She also has some Filmfare Best Actress nominations unlike the other two.

Ananya's career seems the shakiest. She's gotten good reviews for some of her OTT films and projects but just on the basis of them being OTT and not theatrical, that's already a major hit to any potential starpower. On the other hand, it also means she can't fall down any further unlike the other two and can still climb the highest. But I haven't seen any theatrical films in the pipeline for her either and it's quite telling that Shanaya Kapoor's five films have all been cancelled because I think Ananya and Shanaya overlap too much.

Whatever we might think of Sonam as a person or actress, even with her debut flop film, she was quite ahead of these girls in terms of stardom and presence. Honestly, I've come to appreciate Sonam more because at least she had a Raanjhanaa and a Neerja. Even her Khoobsurat is well liked as a romcom. Some of her films still leave a legacy whereas I don't think these other three so far have made any films or projects that will still have enduring power. We'll have to wait and see.

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

I haven't watched the show or read the reviews. I did look at audience reactions and they seemed mixed. About half the viewers were saying they enjoyed the show and were very impressed by her. The other half felt her acting was not good and seemed inauthentic.

In the pecking order of these three, I think it's interesting that Sara started off getting all the hit films. She won Best Debut over Janhvi. But it seems like mixed-negative reviews for her performances (she didn't even get a Filmfare nomination for Atrangi Re and doesn't have any Best Actress nominations at all) have made her slide over to OTT. Does she have any theatrical films lined up now?

Meanwhile Janhvi started off decently with Dhadak. None of her films have been all that big and her reviews having been getting worse and worse with her solo box office films tanking. But she's still getting the most theatrical film offers and is now foraying into the South. She also has some Filmfare Best Actress nominations unlike the other two.

Ananya's career seems the shakiest. She's gotten good reviews for some of her OTT films and projects but just on the basis of them being OTT and not theatrical, that's already a major hit to any potential starpower. On the other hand, it also means she can't fall down any further unlike the other two and can still climb the highest. But I haven't seen any theatrical films in the pipeline for her either and it's quite telling that Shanaya Kapoor's five films have all been cancelled because I think Ananya and Shanaya overlap too much.

Whatever we might think of Sonam as a person or actress, even with her debut flop film, she was quite ahead of these girls in terms of stardom and presence. Honestly, I've come to appreciate Sonam more because at least she had a Raanjhanaa and a Neerja. Even her Khoobsurat is well liked as a romcom. Some of her films still leave a legacy whereas I don't think these other three so far have made any films or projects that will still have enduring power. We'll have to wait and see.

Well said! There is always a discrepancy between audience reviews for Ananya and what the critics have to say. I do feel at times she gets overpraised because with films like Liger people have the worst expectations, the only way to go from there is up.

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

I think Love Aajkal 2 had potential. The only place where Imtiaz went wrong was the casting. Again who was expecting a performance like that from Sara after she gave Kedarnath. Both Sara and the director agreed Sara completely owed her performance in Kedarnath to Sushant. He helped her tooth and nail from dialogue delivery to character analysis. He was basically an onset coach for her in the film.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Well said! There is always a discrepancy between audience reviews for Ananya and what the critics have to say. I do feel at times she gets overpraised because with films like Liger people have the worst expectations, the only way to go from there is up.

I feel similarly. I see online she gets the most praise but I also think that may just be because the bar is set so low now that Ananya's basic efforts make her come across as spectacular in comparison to maybe Sara and Janhvi. I've seen Ananya in two films, Gehraiyaan and Kho Gaye Hum Kahan. In both films, I thought she was decent. Nothing amazing but not horrible either. But in these films, I also don't think she was playing very difficult characters. They seemed like the type of characters she would be like in real life, so her real test will be playing something out of the box.

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

I feel similarly. I see online she gets the most praise but I also think that may just be because the bar is set so low now that Ananya's basic efforts make her come across as spectacular in comparison to maybe Sara and Janhvi. I've seen Ananya in two films, Gehraiyaan and Kho Gaye Hum Kahan. In both films, I thought she was decent. Nothing amazing but not horrible either. But in these films, I also don't think she was playing very difficult characters. They seemed like the type of characters she would be like in real life, so her real test will be playing something out of the box.

Exactly, I am surprised performances like that get praised with Tripti's performance in Qala and Bulbul being ignored at large. It seems like critics have given very mixed reviews as well. It has not all been a thumps up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBTAoFzcdKE

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

I think Love Aajkal 2 had potential. The only place where Imtiaz went wrong was the casting. Again who was expecting a performance like that from Sara after she gave Kedarnath. Both Sara and the director agreed Sara completely owed her performance in Kedarnath to Sushant. He helped her tooth and nail from dialogue delivery to character analysis. He was basically an onset coach for her in the film.

Kedarnath is one I still need to watch, but that's frankly more because of Sushant than Sara. And I still feel somewhat hurt by the fact that she rejected a romantic relationship with him because she was told by her family that he was going nowhere in the industry and would bring her down. I'm glad you confirmed that both the director and Sara said it was Sushant who boosted Sara's performance in Kedarnath because that's what I was expecting.

The weird thing is that when I read the critic reviews for Kedarnath, I saw a bunch of praise for Sara on what a great debut it was from her. I saw more mixed responses to Sushant. They made it sound like he wasn't as good as Sara and I wondered even then if the critics were doing this on purpose to downplay him and boost a starkid instead. So unfair the treatment he got in life. smiley19

Also wanted him and Parineeti to do another movie after Shuddh Desi Romance (preferably one where they do end up married together at the end lol). It's been bittersweet seeing the anniversary celebrations for both Shuddh Desi Romance and Chhichhore without him here.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Exactly, I am surprised performances like that get praised with Tripti's performance in Qala and Bulbul being ignored at large. It seems like critics have given very mixed reviews as well. It has not all been a thumps up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBTAoFzcdKE

The media does such a bad job with promoting non-star kids like Tripti, that I hadn't even heard of her Qala and Bulbul except here on IF. Mainly when Alia won the OTT Filmfare for Darlings and people were saying Tripti had been robbed.

Meanwhile all I saw online was how great a film Darlings is and all the awards it's going to win, even though we now know that barely anyone even saw Darlings.

Good to know that critics are not pleased with Call Me Bae either. I'm hearing it's a lot like Emily in Paris and even that show was critically lambasted so who thought it was a good idea to remake that? This might have had more traction if KJo actually treated it like a semi-sequel to K3G with Ananya's character actually being Poo's daughter. But then again, I'm glad he's not sullying the legacy of that film.

This comment from your link particularly caught my interest.

“I live in Germany, and some of my German friends watched ‘Call Me Bae’ because someone recommended it to them as an introduction to Indian cinema. The amount of negative opinions they have formed about our industry after watching this is disheartening, as there are many more well-written series and movies they could have started with. Now, I am making them watch your review so they understand that this is not the only representation of our industry. Thanks for your appropriate analysis.”

I cannot believe anyone would pick Call Me Bae as an intro to Indian cinema. Who are these people making such recommendations?!? And how can we get them to change their horrible taste?

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

The media does such a bad job with promoting non-star kids like Tripti, that I hadn't even heard of her Qala and Bulbul except here on IF. Mainly when Alia won the OTT Filmfare for Darlings and people were saying Tripti had been robbed.

Meanwhile all I saw online was how great a film Darlings is and all the awards it's going to win, even though we now know that barely anyone even saw Darlings.

Good to know that critics are not pleased with Call Me Bae either. I'm hearing it's a lot like Emily in Paris and even that show was critically lambasted so who thought it was a good idea to remake that? This might have had more traction if KJo actually treated it like a semi-sequel to K3G with Ananya's character actually being Poo's daughter. But then again, I'm glad he's not sullying the legacy of that film.

This comment from your link particularly caught my interest.

“I live in Germany, and some of my German friends watched ‘Call Me Bae’ because someone recommended it to them as an introduction to Indian cinema. The amount of negative opinions they have formed about our industry after watching this is disheartening, as there are many more well-written series and movies they could have started with. Now, I am making them watch your review so they understand that this is not the only representation of our industry. Thanks for your appropriate analysis.”

I cannot believe anyone would pick Call Me Bae as an intro to Indian cinema. Who are these people making such recommendations?!? And how can we get them to change their horrible taste?

I think Qala and Bulbul were more watched on netflix compared to Darlings. But we knew Tripti would get robbed there. That line really showcases how bad the show is. And like they said they have typecasted Ananya in the spoiled rich girls role but she fails to evoke empathy here.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

I think Qala and Bulbul were more watched on netflix compared to Darlings. But we knew Tripti would get robbed there. That line really showcases how bad the show is. And like they said they have typecasted Ananya in the spoiled rich girls role but she fails to evoke empathy here.

I'm not surprised they were watched more. And I imagine her boost from Animal also made many viewers go back and watch her older stuff.

I'm also reading from the comments and video that apparently Ananya cheats and how this doesn't make her very sympathetic either.

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

I'm not surprised they were watched more. And I imagine her boost from Animal also made many viewers go back and watch her older stuff.

I'm also reading from the comments and video that apparently Ananya cheats and how this doesn't make her very sympathetic either.

No, I am talking about her performance here. She fails to evoke empathy with the character. And has only done well in spoiled rich girl roles.