Payal Kapadia– Protests to Cannes glory.Her film to screen in Munich

JackSparrowcraz thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 3 months ago

Payal Kapadia – A Journey from protests for artistic freedom to Cannes glory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR92qW1-me0

Payal Kapadia scripted history when her directorial feature debut, 'All We Imagine As Light' won the prestigious Grand Prix – the second-highest accolade at Cannes Film Festival. This was the first Indian film to win the Grand Prix. And she the first Indian director to win the award. She became a sensation overnight.

But when her alma mater, Pune's prestigious Film and Television Institute of India cheered for her, it reeked of hypocrisy... Because in 2015, Kapadia was at the forefront of a 139-day long students' protest that led to FTII revoking her scholarship and filing a police case against her. Yet despite setback, her talent shone through...

Source: Payal Kapadia – A Journey from protests for artistic freedom to Cannes glory

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

It made me very very happy, when I got to know this...she really proved what one can achieve with inner strength and a functioning support system...despite big hurdles.

She was already well known in the Cannes Filmfestival circle as she had won a prize before with a documentary film three years before. She also has connections to the French filmindustry ("All we imagine is Light" is a co-production with France, Italy, the Netherlands and Luxembourg).

Payal Kapadia's Cannes-Winning All We Imagine As Light Selected For Munich Film Festival

https://www.ndtv.com/entertainment/payal-kapadias-all-we-imagine-as-light-selected-for-munich-film-festival-5916590