Member topic: Have you ever been laid off or fired from your job?

fazgostoso thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 months ago

I am sitting here very depressed today and am helpless.  My boss told me my employment ended today because they are small and an inefficient company.

It was my first three months, I hardly had any training.
The people were nice but showed their true colors later.

Have you ever been laid off or fired from your job?
Please do share your thoughts.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Terenaina thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

I understand how you feel completely. Our department in the company got laid off in my last job, everybody in my department was let go, the only person that they kept was the supervisor. That was the first time something like that happen, never experienced laid off or being fired before so it was shocking.  

I say apply for as many jobs as you can and you'll find a job. Good luck! 

Edited by Terenaina - 1 months ago
fazgostoso thumbnail

Originally posted by: Terenaina

I understand how you feel completely. Our whole department and several other departments in the company got laid off, everybody in my department was let go, the only person that they kept was the supervisor. 

I say apply for as many jobs as you can and you'll find a job. I got a job offer now. Good luck! 

Thank you for the kind words, but I am losing hope.

I can't work anymore, being let go is something I can't take.

I am going to go into huge depression now.

Minionite thumbnail

Sarcastic Chatterbox

I was laid off from one of my first few jobs I had out of undergrad. It was definitely hard. It didn't help that they didn't deal with it well and my boss literally said to me "I would have fired you if you hadn't been laid off" after I got the bad news. But don't take it so hard. It took me 2 days but I bounced back stronger than ever.

Are you getting severance pay? Think of it like a paid vacation where you can search for new jobs. And be honest in your interviews. Just tell them you got laid off because your company was inefficient and hired too many people. It's a good market nowadays in most countries so I'm sure you'll be able to find a new job.

fazgostoso thumbnail

Originally posted by: Minionite

I was laid off from one of my first few jobs I had out of undergrad. It was definitely hard. It didn't help that they didn't deal with it well and my boss literally said to me "I would have fired you if you hadn't been laid off" after I got the bad news. But don't take it so hard. It took me 2 days but I bounced back stronger than ever.

Are you getting severance pay? Think of it like a paid vacation where you can search for new jobs. And be honest in your interviews. Just tell them you got laid off because your company was inefficient and hired too many people. It's a good market nowadays in most countries so I'm sure you'll be able to find a new job.

I live in California so it is at-will employment.  No severance pay.  I only will get paid for the past 2 weeks.

My boss was impatient with me.  I did one little mistake and he let me go.

I am so mad and depressed.

Terenaina thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Since it's public forum, can't talk much here. All I have to tell you is that, apply for jobs now, don't wait at all. smiley27 Never worry since better things are in store for you. 

Edited by Terenaina - 1 months ago
Petrichor80 thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

I have never been laid off or fired. Hang in there dude. Apply for unemployment ASAP. Apply for jobs like it is your full time job from 9-5 every day. You will find something soon. Keep your head up and keep applying. Good luck! I hope you find something soon.

Bekind thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

I have never been fired or laid off but there was one job where I was miserable. From experience I can tell that if you continuously prove yourself to be a good team member, obviously it will end up in emotional pain. We are trained to please others no matter how badly the other person is treating you. Take this laid off job as a blessing. Ask yourself some serious deep down questions.

Why did I choose to stay in this job where the manager was impatient with you?

What benefit did you get from this job?

Do you think you were settling for less?

Was this supporting you in the long run?

Do you see yourself as a 9-5 job or your own business?

Do you think it benefitted you with the resume?

Was this related to your passion or purpose?

What are your passions or maybe a change of career perhaps?

What is your dream job or dream income?

Do you want to explore other states or even go for a 2 day trip?

Don’t blame yourself for this. Perhaps the manager made you feel terrible. Take one day to yourself and do things that make you happy. Maybe this happened for a reason. Maybe your purpose is different.

I will say try to heal, talk to some mentor. Search your field and ask yourself what kind of work will make you happy. Maybe call a career coach in your area. They do offer first appointments free. Not sure what your field is, talk to your university, reach out to professors and peers and let them know you are looking for a job. Maybe find a part time job in your university. Heal yourself first. It is so important that other people neglect so much. 

Networking helps a lot, volunteering in your area. So you can share in your interview that while I was laid off, I was volunteering for this non profit organization. This will help you so much. You need to ask yourself what career you are aiming for that will make you happy for 30 years? You need a good mentor who knows your strengths. While you are applying for jobs, get free certification in leadership. Once your feeling is in balance, create a career map. What skills you have and what you need to work on? Take a career quiz or test. I took a few test that helped me to understand my passion and skills.

If you like to message me or have any questions, feel free to do so.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Gaurav I’m with ya all the way 💜 let me know if you wanna talk or something 

sidnilove thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Hey, I have never been laid off or fired. But if I were in your place I would immediately start applying to jobs. Yes, it must be tough to go through this and it must have happened out of the blue but it's imperative to focus on applying for jobs and interviewing as much as you can.

All the best to you smiley20