Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SakZ thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 6 months ago

Originally posted by: Bollydolly

I did not see the trailer but in the movie she says 30,000 girls but not specifically from Kerala.

I did not understand why people were hung up on the number. Basically they wanted to say that there are many many girls trapped in this. That is a fact not propaganda.

When the movie trailer was released, they said 30 or 32 something girls from Kerala. they had to change because of backlash.

So you think propaganda means false? Not its not that. Propaganda works with exaggerated truths where the intention is the key. And to understand the intentions you have to understand the socio political environment of kerala. Right wing had already proved how frustrated they are with my state. You can also understand it how our beloved PM used this movie in karantaka election. If this isn’t propaganda what is it?

now please don’t ask what is the problem with propaganda!

DivineAngel thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Fantasy Force

Originally posted by: diasingh2

I am happy that the film got made and highlighted some serious issues across the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5eYnpYDzxo

I am as liberal as they come, but I am not blind. You cannot call it a "fictional" film and completely discard the film as "propaganda" film, when in reality that's how women are treated in Afghanistan/Taliban. We read about it in news on a daily basis.

https://www.voanews.com/a/taliban-warns-of-ban-on-female-media-appearance-without-dress-code-compliance/7509825.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-66633178

https://apnews.com/article/afghanistan-taliban-high-school-ban-girls-7046b3dbb76ca76d40343db6ba547556

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Radicalism is a huge problem and has ruined lives.

India has issues as well, but my god, it seems like a nightmare to live in those countries.

Talibans are terrorists in my eyes. They don't respect women. They torture women on daily basis. It has nothing to do with India.

Yes human trafficking happens in almost all countries and government should take strict action against it.

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: DivineAngel

Talibans are terrorists in my eyes. They don't respect women. They torture women on daily basis. It has nothing to do with India.

Yes human trafficking happens in almost all countries and government should take strict action against it.

Yes, it has nothing to do with India.

But it has a lot to with the Sharia Law, i.e, radicalized version of a particular religion, that claims that it is being "oppressed" in India because it is a "minority" here.

I don't buy propaganda at all and I am against the vilification of ANY religion. The film had its problems, and certainly a propaganda since they inflated the facts and numbers. I hated the fact that the film didn't show good Muslims at all.

But people outright discarding the film as "fake" and completely fictional must be living under a rock. Diverting the issue to wrong Malayalam accent or stereotypical portrayal of Kerala wouldn't change the fact that Radical Islamism very much exists and is a huge problem across nations INCLUDING India.

I find it laughable when people are more focused on the "Jasmine" on Adah's hair ,than the actual issue at hand.

And Radical Islam has existed for a while. People should watch Hollywood film Not Without My Daughter starring Sally Field that came out in the 80s, which highlighted a similar story. And guess what, it was also based on a true story, just like The Kerala Story.

Edited by diasingh2 - 6 months ago
naaznin thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 14 Thumbnail + 9

People question a particular religion for terrorism but don't question billion dollar industry flourishing on terrorism.

No one asks how do terrorist gets money n advanced weapons.

Bollydolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

But the principal of the school, the two women in Afghanistan who help the protagonist are good people.

It is just that Shalini falls into wrong company when she leaves home.

As far as the numbers are concerned, it is a movie not a documentary. They could have quoted 100000 if they wanted and it would still be ok.

Bollydolly thumbnail

I dont think you have watched the movie and keep on talking about the trailer.

Watch it. It is worth the time if you are a cinema lover.
the direction, long shots, even the acting (if we go by the run of the mill bolly movie standard) is excellent.

As for the accent: Shalini was the only one who had the mallu accent. She basically pronounced her name with a palatal L sound. Orhers had a regular accent.
None of the so called stereotypes whether Shalini's accent or her way of dressing are negative so why this angst about it?

Her friend, Gitanjali, also a Hindu, was not shown as a traditional girl who has an accent or flowers in her hair.
Her Carholic friend has no accent either. Though I have studied with Christian Malayalees who had strong accents especially the Ls which stood out.

it seems a lot of people are passing judgement without seeing the actual movie.

SakZ thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

I dont think you have watched the movie and keep on talking about the trailer.

Watch it. It is worth the time if you are a cinema lover.
the direction, long shots, even the acting (if we go by the run of the mill bolly movie standard) is excellent.

As for the accent: Shalini was the only one who had the mallu accent. She basically pronounced her name with a palatal L sound. Orhers had a regular accent.
None of the so called stereotypes whether Shalini's accent or her way of dressing are negative so why this angst about it?

Her friend, Gitanjali, also a Hindu, was not shown as a traditional girl who has an accent or flowers in her hair.
Her Carholic friend has no accent either. Though I have studied with Christian Malayalees who had strong accents especially the Ls which stood out.

it seems a lot of people are passing judgement without seeing the actual movie.

I am not keep on talking about trailer. I am pointing out same facts you were unaware of. And talking about the trailer is very important to understand the context of propaganda.

As a malayali all I can say that her Malayalam wasn’t authentic at all.
i am not talking about malayalam accent when speaking hindi. Of course it is understandable. I am talking about her malayalam itself. That was so pathetic especially to get awards for acting.

Anyway its complex issue. All I can say that bollywood movies aren’t authentic sources of information. Please don’t let them prejudice against communities.

Even Hitler has successfully used movies and other art forms to propagate his ideas.

1274961 thumbnail

Originally posted by: diasingh2

I am happy that the film got made and highlighted some serious issues across the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5eYnpYDzxo

I am as liberal as they come, but I am not blind. You cannot call it a "fictional" film and completely discard the film as "propaganda" film, when in reality that's how women are treated in Afghanistan/Taliban. We read about it in news on a daily basis.

https://www.voanews.com/a/taliban-warns-of-ban-on-female-media-appearance-without-dress-code-compliance/7509825.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-66633178

https://apnews.com/article/afghanistan-taliban-high-school-ban-girls-7046b3dbb76ca76d40343db6ba547556

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Radicalism is a huge problem and has ruined lives.

India has issues as well, but my god, it seems like a nightmare to live in those countries.

You have to keep in mind that news shows the tragic stories. We never see normal or positive stories on the news. We are being presented with the worst case scenario on the news. I am just saying this, because I have seen quite a few ignorant and racist comments on India on reddit from people who have never visited the country. Until we visit a country we have no clue what it is like to be a person living in the country. We judge strictly based on news. Every country has its fair share of issues.

Edited by Petrichor80 - 6 months ago
Bollydolly thumbnail

Does that mean the tragic stories are not true?

Edited by Bollydolly - 6 months ago
1274961 thumbnail

Does that mean the tragic stories are not true?

I did not say that. You need to read through some of the reddit threads for the comments on India.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/1c2blnr/is_india_as_bad_and_unsafe_for_women_as_its/

Edited by Petrichor80 - 6 months ago