Author of Raazi novel, unhappy with the film!

Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 5 months ago

https://www.moneycontrol.com/entertainment/movies/unhappy-with-how-his-novel-calling-sehmat-was-adapted-into-alia-bhatt-starrer-raazi-author-film-producer-harinder-sikka-to-adapt-novels-into-bollywood-films-article-12590701.html/amp

Dialogues like ‘I love my country more’ were removed and the Indian intelligence agencies were shown in a lower light. Sehmat was shown being brought back to India in a depressed state, as if she had done blunder fighting for our country as a Kashmiri Muslim, totally contrary to the way I conveyed it in the book, contrary to the way I showed how Sehmat had stood on the tarmac after she was brought to India by air, contrary to the way she saluted the Tricolour and the bandmaster playing Jai Bharat (who stopped and started playing the national anthem Jana Gana Mana). They removed all this,” said Sikka, who also went on record back in the day stating that he was not shown the Director’s Cut to the film after the movie released, and that there were attempts the the filmmakers to stop him from attending the Jaipur Literature Festival. “When the film came to screen and, obviously, I was not invited to Bombay to see the film, I realised that scenes of her patriotism were very tactfully removed from the film along with every single Tricolour in the original book,” he said. This was what made the Piramal Group strategic director and ex-navy officer who was a Lieutenant Commander from the Indian Navy become a “content collector” for good.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cougarTown thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 5

Author is complaining about the best part of the movie

The reason Raazi hit so hard is exactly what is mentioned / author is unhappy about. The last scene where Sehmat breaks down and says she doesn't understand how this works and she doesn't even want to understand..she wants to go back..makes you realize the pain, the trauma she had to go through..in killing innocents after innocents and then having her own life at stake..and all of that being deemed acceptable and noble coz " watan ke aage kuch nahi"..it is exactly this hyper nationalism which led to so many innocents losing their lives..something which sehmat realized is not right and is not true..

Watan se aage..humanity hai..watan se aage zindagi hai..killing innocents and justifying doing it for your country can and will never be right..this hyper nationalism is exactly what needs to go..and every innocent life on every side of the border deserves to live..human life is >>> any country..and sehmat realized it and that is exactly what makes Raazi so beautiful..so humane and so unlike these hyper nationalist movies we see back to back

Edited by cougarTown - 5 months ago
Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: cougarTown

Author is complaining about the best part of the movie

The reason Raazi hit so hard is exactly what is mentioned / author is unhappy about. The last scene where Sehmat breaks down and says she doesn't understand how this works and she doesn't even want to understand..she wants to go back..makes you realize the pain, the trauma she had to go through..in killing innocents after innocents and then having her own life at stake..and all of that being deemed acceptable and noble coz " watan ke aage kuch nahi"..it is exactly this hyper nationalism which led to so many innocents losing their lives..something which sehmat realized is not right and is not true..

Watan se aage..humanity hai..watan se aage zindagi hai..killing innocents and justifying doing it for your country can and will never be right..this hyper nationalism is exactly what needs to go..and every innocent life on every side of the border deserves to live..human life is >>> any country..and sehmat realized it and that is exactly what makes Raazi so beautiful..so humane and so unlike these hyper nationalist movies we see back to back

I see what you’re saying but I think India has been quite lenient with Pak up until 2013-2014. I openly supported the Pak actors ban too. I mean that country doesn’t show India the same regard so India can only be “the bigger person” for so long. On a fundamental level I understand and agree, but I also completely understand the nationalist/Modi vibes with this topic. Hence why alot of those movies are working right now
Edited by Shaitan-Haiwan - 5 months ago
Palak2812 thumbnail

They could have shown anything in name of creative liability but they changed the storyline of the book from which they took adaptation without the consent of the Author.

Author should have went against them.

According to the book Sehmat had a guy Abhinav in Delhi who loved her a lot. That guy also took her son under him and took care of him.

Her son served in Indian Army.

Sehmat was all about her patriotism for India which they changed.

They could have shown anything but they violated the rights of the Author.

If they actually went against the Author without her consent, against the contract, she should have gone to court and filed a case against them.

But she didn't did it, should have done if they really did it all without her knowledge as she claims.