Zomato Rolls back "Pure veg" fleet --- Was it Divisive or Business Nee

Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 1 months ago

Internet has been abuzz with a lot of issues off late and 24 hours ago Zomato thought to make its valuable contribution to the debate smiley24

Zomato's Deepinder Goyal on Tuesday announced the launch of a new service especially for Zomato's vegetarian customers.

The founder and CEO of the food delivery company introduced a "pure veg" mode using which customers can order food from restaurants that prepare only vegetarian food and a "pure veg" fleet to deliver those orders.

He added that the "Pure Veg Mode" would consist of a curation of restaurants that serve only pure vegetarian food. "Our dedicated Pure Veg Fleet will only serve orders from these pure veg restaurants. This means that a non-veg meal, or even a veg meal served by a non-veg restaurant will never go inside the green delivery box meant for our Pure Veg Fleet," Deepinder Goyal said, adding that the new service doesn’t serve or alienate any religious, or political preference.

The development, however, received mixed responses from social media users with one section claiming that it would further segregate people based on their eating preferences and the other calling it a smart business move.

Whats your take? Is it divisive or just a business need? What about those who take veg food without garlic & onion? And such other things?

Link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.moneycontrol.com/news/trends/deepinder-goyals-pure-veg-mode-fleet-for-zomato-divides-internet-idiotic-move-to-simple-business-12488741.html/amp

Update: Zomato has now rolled back the proposal. 

Thoughts??

Link: https://m.economictimes.com/tech/startups/all-riders-will-wear-red-zomato-rolls-back-green-uniform-for-pure-veg-fleet-amid-social-media-backlash/articleshow/108634333.cms

Edited by Armu4eva - 1 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

I'm non-vegetarian myself but I'm fine w/ Zomato doing this.  I'd like them to segregate the non-veg further into halal and jhatka, if possible.  Not just for the sake of muslims, but non-muslims as well

Armu4eva thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vr15h

I'm non-vegetarian myself but I'm fine w/ Zomato doing this.  I'd like them to segregate the non-veg further into halal and jhatka, if possible.  Not just for the sake of muslims, but non-muslims as well

I like the food to be segregated and maybe they could have different carriage/containers, but running a dedicated fleet may not be a good decision for opex/financially.

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Armu4eva

I like the food to be segregated and maybe they could have different carriage/containers, but running a dedicated fleet may not be a good decision for opex/financially.

Yeah, operationally, no organization likes to be restricted in terms of flexibility when it comes to various logistics.  For instance, in the US, Uber Eats or Doordash or Grubhub make no such distinctions, but then customers who are particular about that usually don't order delivery in the first place.  Usually, food delivery is an overhead for restaurants, but apparently more needed in India since it usually takes longer to get from place A to place B, and parking is a bsmiley35h

On the concern mentioned by some Kirti Chidambaram, is it clear whether they'll pick only veg drivers, or only non-muslim drivers?

Edited by Vr15h - 1 months ago
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

It's  a smart move. He is targeting people who prefer to eat veg food. I remember an interview of Sudha Murty, where she said, on her trips abroad, she prefers to eat using her hands only, in a restaurant serving both veg & non veg food. May be the spoon offered in that restaurant is used in eating non veg by a previous user. It's a sentiment. Some strictly veg eaters may agree with this thought. Goyal is targetting this group. This is purely a business move.

devashree_h thumbnail

I do remember many times people have complained that during Sawan/Shravan or some fast, they ordered veg food but got non-veg instead. So, I think this is a solution for that. Because of this, people won't be hesitant to order food. They must have done some market survey and are probably catering towards it. Ouraging has become business on SM now, so can be ignores.

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

As someone who is pure vegetarian, not even eating onion-garlic, I prefer eating at pure-veg restaurants. So, I appreciate this move! smiley20

Palak2812 thumbnail

It is good.

I am Non Vegetarian 

Idk why people are making drama and forgetting that Non-Pure Veg Restaurants too serve Veg food. 

Also more poor and lower caste people are Vegetarian, I have seen Brahmin as Non Vegetarian. 

This is stupid drama.

Jisko jaha se khaana hain khao, no one is forcing anyone to turn Vegetarian or just eat from Pure Veg Restaurants. 

I know many Jains or Pre Vegetarian people never ordering online and cooking even when they are sick bcoz they don't trust the utensils used or food be delivered. 

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Anyone who feels it's divisive should learn to respect that vegetarians can have their own choices and preferences. :)

Moreover, this pure veg fleet isn't going to impact their non-vegetarian food. So, why is there an outrage in first place? But then it's a country where a certain section of leftists label basic hygiene and grooming (like bathing daily, waxing armpit hair) as Brahminical patriarchy. smiley36

Edited by Wistfulness - 1 months ago
Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Wistfulness

Anyone who feels it's divisive should learn to respect that vegetarians can have their own choices and preferences. :)

Moreover, this pure veg fleet isn't going to impact their non-vegetarian food. So, why is there an outrage in first place? But then it's a country where a certain section of leftists label basic hygiene and grooming (like bathing daily, waxing armpit hair) as Brahminical patriarchy. smiley36

attribute it to our school books.

I was teaching civics to my younger one. Ab jo likha hai padhana to padega. My elder one was listening. He was like ye kya padha rahe ho. Aisa kahan hota hai ab. Puraane zamaane ki baat hai.

What do I tell him ..that history lessons were even more  🙄

Phir laga wo to ye padh hi chuka hai. And he was able to distinguish the written from reality. So its all ok.

Not saying they have written wrong about what used to happen in Indian Society. But talk in past tense..not with a one line disclaimer that things r slowly changing now

Edited by Kyahikahoon - 1 months ago