Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

prerna4rishav thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 7 months ago

Why does this one have 3 options ? MNIK. It was a beautiful beautiful movie. smiley27

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: rickyproctor27

Beautifully put again! You should consider Bollywood blogging with the depth you put in to writing and explanations.

The trio of movies from Mani Ratnam's entry to Bollywood Roja, Bombay and Dil Se all dealt with terrorism and in a different way. To make these movies in that environment of the 90s needed a lot of guts. Plus, he brought a completely new style of cinematography to Bollywood. This was far ahead of its time and Bollywood wasn't used to this genre and acceptance was not the best as he was considered an outsider from the south. I absolutely love all these movies and his next one too Yuva (amazing story and brilliant performances by Rani, Abhishek and Ajay-won Best Film critics awards). (I think he produced Saathiya with YRF didn't direct it).

If not my thoughts, you should listen to Javed Akhtar when he was presenting the CNN Indian of the Year award this year to Mani Ratnam for PS-1 and PS-2. (He won it with SRK). He describes Mani Ratnam's influence perfectly. Dil Se was just way ahead of it's time.

Aww, thank you. Tbh, I came to this forum expecting more discussions of classic and iconic films and like you said to me before, I realized that most of the activity here is just fanwars. And even fanwars can be interesting except in this case, most of the contemporary actors today are so useless and have no presence that it's not even worth investing in them. I get accused of being a Deepika fan on here, but if I'm being honest, I became a bigger fan of her primarily because of this forum because only a handful of actors get steadily talked about on here and she's the only one from the group who I think has any star presence. All the hate directed against her ironically enough made me a fan. So this tournament in particular has been really refreshing and I think necessary for people to remember that there is more to Bollywood than KJo's shenanigans like PR stars and "power couples."

I think part of the reason Mani Ratnam's films could work in the 90s is because by the second half of the decade, the musical romance genre was the main staple so films like Dil Se provided some variety. With the political atmosphere now, those films of his would be less likely to be made today as there's much less freedom, and action/thriller films are overdone now as the default. I don't think it's a surprise that even if you look at BW stars, some of their best works were done with Mani Ratnam like SRK and Manisha in Dil Se, Aish in PS, and Rani in Saathiya. You're right that he produced Saathiya but didn't direct it. I think he had more hands-on involvement though because I know Rani did the movie primarily because she wanted to work with Mani Ratnam.

I've seen Yuva but to be honest, I don't remember any of it except for the Rani/Abhishek sections which were very good. They got the most critical attention as well. I have zero remembrance of the other characters and the other two actresses were especially weak and basically nonexistent.

I've seen the video with Javed Akhtar and Mani Ratnam winning Indian of the Year along with SRK. I know SRK said afterwards that he would love to work with Mani Ratnam again so here's hoping.

Originally posted by: rickyproctor27

Now looking back, it's amazing how actresses like Manisha and Urmila played so many of these off-beat roles in mainstream cinema and were so fantastic in how they pulled them off. Wish they received more appreciation for these brilliant performances.

Agreed. I still haven't seen a whole lot of Manisha's filmography (mainly her commercial works like Khamoshi and her films with Aamir) but she was superb in less commercial films like Dil Se and Lajja. It's funny how she wasn't first choice for a lot of these role. Madhuri was Bhansali's favorite and he wanted her for Khamoshi but she turned it down.

Urmila is a favorite of mine especially by the 2000s. Her pre-Rangeela films are pretty awful but her RGV films are superb. What a shame she only has one Filmfare Award (Critics BA for Bhoot). Considering she never worked with any big banners, despite YRF desperately trying to sign her, I'd say she had a remarkable career even if it's less remembered today.

Stone-Cold thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

2 hours remaining

sulu82 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Once again, difficult question paper!

My vote for KHKN. My another favorite movie of SRK. smiley9

Stone-Cold thumbnail

Winner! Dil Se

An Ode to Ratnam - Rahman - Dil Se

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Bad taste (MNIK) lost again. For a change, IF is really getting it right.

Strangers02 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Voted for KHKN , but happy for Dil se as well. As it is PZ's first film. Intersting she shared Dil se memories just yesterday in her insta account!

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3Fx-saoylf/?igsh=MTVpMnRmN3hlYzFscQ==

Autumnn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Voted KHKN but like Dil se too. Songs are nice in it. Chaiye Chaiye iconic song and more.

Stone-Cold thumbnail

Originally posted by: Strangers02

Voted for KHKN , but happy for Dil se as well. As it is PZ's first film. Intersting she shared Dil se memories just yesterday in her insta account!

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3Fx-saoylf/?igsh=MTVpMnRmN3hlYzFscQ==

She DM'd me on Insta. she is aware of this poll and tournement smiley1

SoniRita thumbnail

Love Legion

Originally posted by: Stone-Cold

She DM'd me on Insta. she is aware of this poll and tournement smiley1

Oh wow, she knows about this poll, that is amazing.