Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Bekind thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 6 months ago

Dhadkan was a bad movie, each and every character in the movie acted average to badsmiley21

I liked Suneil Shetty performance the mostsmiley36

But we should not take Filmfare seriouslysmiley36

Beautyful_Mess thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

I've never seen Pukar so I don't know if Madhuri's performance was worth the nomination or not. As the most nominated Filmfare actress I could see that nom being a freebie.

The others I think were all deserving. But there have been some years with six nominees so I so think Shilpa deserved to be included for her definitive role. I can see why she felt rejected by the industry.

Urmila has also made comments about how she never felt respected by the awards.

Now that’s a literal sin so we should be angry about that 

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: diasingh2

She deserved a nomination, but I think Karisma winning the award for Fiza was justified.

Worst was Kareena winning Best Debut over Amishasmiley24.

In fact, Shamita from Mohabatein and that girl from Tum Bin (that was a surprise hit) deserved more than Kareena.

I mean no one cared about Bebo and her film at that time.

It was a no-brainier to give the award to Amisha who had the most successful debut opposite Hrithik in 2000.

Yeah, I wouldn't take away Karisma's win.

And I 100% agree on Amisha (is it spelled Ameesha or Amisha? In her early films, it was always spelled Amisha). She deserved the Best Debut win and Kareena only won because of her family name, not her performance.

Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai was an all-time blockbuster and that was because of Amisha as the film hinges on her chemistry with Hrithik. People give Hrithik all the credit but if he had a dud of a leading lady the film would not work.

I also would have accepted Shamita winning Best Debut over Kareena. Basically anyone who isn't Kareena. No one remembers or cares about Refugee today. Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai is still a beloved classic.

At least Amisha got the Best Debut for the Zee Cine Awards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5EeIVO8xas

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Actually remembering Amisha, I think it can be argued that besides getting a nomination for Best Debut (which she should have won), she also deserved a Best Actress nomination. Hrithik got both category nominations/wins after all so Amisha also deserved to be in both categories like Deepika later on for Om Shanti Om.

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Yes. Amisha was recognized at award functions but not at Filmfare. But it sucks because Filmfare has a bigger legacy, so they should've been fair but they haven always been biased. I would have liked if she got the Best Actress nomination as well.

Early 2000s was a different time. Amisha had become a big name after Kaho Na Pyar Hai and Gadar, but she still could not make it big. She was basically living the dream of every debutante at that time, and yet she failed to make it big. I still remember Kareena was the most hated actress on SM platforms like Orkut. She was never grouped with Rani, Preeti and Aish who were like GIANTS at that time (even though were not very senior to Kareena debut-wise) .

I wonder where Kareena´s career would have been if Jab We Met had not happened to her. Never seen a turning point in one´s career like in case of Kareena with Jab We Met.

I mean in the early stages of her career, she was in the same league as Esha Deol, Isha, Amrita Rao etc. But only Kareena thrived in her career and got away with a lot of stuff. She acted like a Diva on sets, verbally abused her co-stars and still got films after films, served on a platter. No outsider would've survived with that attitude.

But gradually, all of Kareena´s rivals faded away except Priyanka survived because she was way more ambitious and talented. Intesresingly, they both milked her rivalries to stay in news and limelight, right from their Aitraaz days.

Btw here´s a fun fact. Not sure if you know, but Preeti was the first choice for Geet in Jab We Met but she declined the film as per reports. I was shocked when I learnt about it because in retrospect, Geet´s role had "Preeti Zinta" written all over it.
That Punjabi quirkiness, that unconventional bluntness that Geet had is what Preeti was known far.

Although, I am not sure if Preeti would´ve played a better Geet, because she would´ve had Bobby opposite her. And let´s face, Geet was Kareena´s role and she was destined to do it. But a part of wishes that Preeti had done that role because her career really needed a hit at that time, and it would´ve given her the longetivity she deserved. Sadly, she started focussing more on IPL from that point.

I just realized I diverted way too much from the original discussion. I hope you don´t mind.smiley36

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Yes. Amisha was recognized at award functions but not at Filmfare. But it sucks because Filmfare has a bigger legacy, so they should've been fair but they haven always been biased. I would have liked if she got the Best Actress nomination as well.

Early 2000s was a different time. Amisha had become a big name after Kaho Na Pyar Hai and Gadar, but she still could not make it big. She was basically living the dream of every debutante at that time, and yet she failed to make it big. I still remember Kareena was the most hated actress on SM platforms like Orkut. She was never grouped with Rani, Preeti and Aish who were like GIANTS at that time (even though were not very senior to Kareena debut-wise) .

I wonder where Kareena´s career would have been if Jab We Met had not happened to her. Never seen a turning point in one´s career like in case of Kareena with Jab We Met.

I mean in the early stages of her career, she was in the same league as Esha Deol, Isha, Amrita Rao etc. But only Kareena thrived in her career and got away with a lot of stuff. She acted like a Diva on sets, verbally abused her co-stars and still got films after films, served on a platter. No outsider would've survived with that attitude.

But gradually, all of Kareena´s rivals faded away except Priyanka survived because she was way more ambitious and talented. Intesresingly, they both milked her rivalries to stay in news and limelight, right from their Aitraaz days.

Btw here´s a fun fact. Not sure if you know, but Preeti was the first choice for Geet in Jab We Met but she declined the film as per reports. I was shocked when I learnt about it because in retrospect, Geet´s role had "Preeti Zinta" written all over it.
That Punjabi quirkiness, that unconventional bluntness that Geet had is what Preeti was known far.

Although, I am not sure if Preeti would´ve played a better Geet, because she would´ve had Bobby opposite her. And let´s face, Geet was Kareena´s role and she was destined to do it. But a part of wishes that Preeti had done that role because her career really needed a hit at that time, and it would´ve given her the longetivity she deserved. Sadly, she started focussing more on IPL from that point.

I just realized I diverted way too much from the original discussion. I hope you don´t mind.smiley36

Filmfare is ultimately the one that matters so I agree that while it's nice that Amisha got some awards elsewhere, the only one that really matters is Filmfare. 

Bhansali apparently told Amisha after Gadar that she should retire. That with Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai and Gadar, she has accomplished more with these two films than most actors do in an entire lifetime and nothign she will ever do afterwards can top that. In a way he was right although her Humraaz was a hit and got her a Best Actress nomination. In Amisha's case, it seems like her personal life problems is what caused her career to skid more or less the same time that Aishwarya was having her fall from grace after being blacklisted by all three Khans. Aishwarya of course started her career earlier than Amisha but both were at the top during 2000-2002, at which point Rani and Preity were rising to take over as #1 heroine. Ironically enough it was Amisha that took Aishwarya's role in Mangal Pandey when Aishwarya refused it and caused Aamir Khan to blacklist her.

I am not surprised Kareena was so hated back then because I read some of her old interviews from that era and she is very unlikable. Always attacking her contemporaries, namely the ones who do not come from film families, and having the gall to say that her role in Main Prem Ki Deewani Hoon is the deepest role any actress has ever played. Kareena was definitely not in the status of Rani, Preity, and Aishwarya then and it's hilarious to see how much hatred she had for the latter two, especially when they got the roles she wanted in Kal Ho Naa Ho and Devdas. Kareena was relegated to B-List actors like Fardeen Khan during that period.

As much as I dislike Kareena, Jab We Met is the only time I've ever enjoyed her onscreen and that role really did revitalize her career. She really would have gone the way of Esha Deol without it and probably left acting, but that film singlehandedly ensured that she would stick around for another decade or so. Without her family background, she would never have gotten so many opportunities especially the way she would attack so many people offscreen and badmouth them. 

I have some issues with Priyanka now but I've always loved how whenever Kareena was put onscreen with Priyanka, Priyanka would blow her off the screen. It was especially hilarious since Kareena took the good girl role as the devoted wife in Aitraaz specifically because she thought audiences would sympathize more with her and hate Priyanka but it was Priyanka who walked away with that movie. And try as she might, Kareena never had the chemistry with Salman, SRK or Akshay that Priyanka did or even Rani, Preity, Aishwarya, etc. 

I'm familiar with the fact that Preity was the original choice for Jab We Met. A few years back, I made a thread on it asking if people would have preferred that version with Preity and Bobby in the roles. People basically responded that it would have been a good film but since the role of Geet is the usual bubbly role that Preity plays, it wouldn't have been very groundbreaking in the long run. And Preity said that she and Kareena's fates were intertwined since she got Kal Ho Naa Ho which was intended for Kareena (I could never see her in that role myself. The film would not have worked with her in it especially since I never felt she had good chemistry with SRK or even with Saif despite their marriage later on) and Kareena got Jab We Met which was meant for Preity.

However, like you a part of me wishes Preity did keep Jab We Met because she needed a hit in 2007 since Jhoom Barabar Jhoom was her main film of the year and that flopped. Jab We Met could have kept her career going strong had she starred in it. I am curious what the film would have been like if Preity was in it but the male lead was still Shahid instead of Bobby. I always felt it was a missed opportunity for Shahid and Preity not to star together.

I don't mind at all that the discussion has diverged from Shilpa lol. I love discussing the awards politics and what ifs?

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

I watched Pukar finally. Madhuri is good in it and I can see why she was nominated but the movie is really Anil's mostly. In contrast, Shilpa is the literal heartbeat of Dhadkan and I'm sure even Amisha has more screentime in Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai than Madhuri does in Pukar. I think Shilpa or Amisha would have been more deserving of nominations that year.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

I think Dhadkan is the first time I ever saw a bride in blue.

ImageImage

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

Filmfare is ultimately the one that matters so I agree that while it's nice that Amisha got some awards elsewhere, the only one that really matters is Filmfare. 

Bhansali apparently told Amisha after Gadar that she should retire. That with Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai and Gadar, she has accomplished more with these two films than most actors do in an entire lifetime and nothign she will ever do afterwards can top that. In a way he was right although her Humraaz was a hit and got her a Best Actress nomination. In Amisha's case, it seems like her personal life problems is what caused her career to skid more or less the same time that Aishwarya was having her fall from grace after being blacklisted by all three Khans. Aishwarya of course started her career earlier than Amisha but both were at the top during 2000-2002, at which point Rani and Preity were rising to take over as #1 heroine. Ironically enough it was Amisha that took Aishwarya's role in Mangal Pandey when Aishwarya refused it and caused Aamir Khan to blacklist her.

I am not surprised Kareena was so hated back then because I read some of her old interviews from that era and she is very unlikable. Always attacking her contemporaries, namely the ones who do not come from film families, and having the gall to say that her role in Main Prem Ki Deewani Hoon is the deepest role any actress has ever played. Kareena was definitely not in the status of Rani, Preity, and Aishwarya then and it's hilarious to see how much hatred she had for the latter two, especially when they got the roles she wanted in Kal Ho Naa Ho and Devdas. Kareena was relegated to B-List actors like Fardeen Khan during that period.

As much as I dislike Kareena, Jab We Met is the only time I've ever enjoyed her onscreen and that role really did revitalize her career. She really would have gone the way of Esha Deol without it and probably left acting, but that film singlehandedly ensured that she would stick around for another decade or so. Without her family background, she would never have gotten so many opportunities especially the way she would attack so many people offscreen and badmouth them. 

I have some issues with Priyanka now but I've always loved how whenever Kareena was put onscreen with Priyanka, Priyanka would blow her off the screen. It was especially hilarious since Kareena took the good girl role as the devoted wife in Aitraaz specifically because she thought audiences would sympathize more with her and hate Priyanka but it was Priyanka who walked away with that movie. And try as she might, Kareena never had the chemistry with Salman, SRK or Akshay that Priyanka did or even Rani, Preity, Aishwarya, etc. 

I'm familiar with the fact that Preity was the original choice for Jab We Met. A few years back, I made a thread on it asking if people would have preferred that version with Preity and Bobby in the roles. People basically responded that it would have been a good film but since the role of Geet is the usual bubbly role that Preity plays, it wouldn't have been very groundbreaking in the long run. And Preity said that she and Kareena's fates were intertwined since she got Kal Ho Naa Ho which was intended for Kareena (I could never see her in that role myself. The film would not have worked with her in it especially since I never felt she had good chemistry with SRK or even with Saif despite their marriage later on) and Kareena got Jab We Met which was meant for Preity.

However, like you a part of me wishes Preity did keep Jab We Met because she needed a hit in 2007 since Jhoom Barabar Jhoom was her main film of the year and that flopped. Jab We Met could have kept her career going strong had she starred in it. I am curious what the film would have been like if Preity was in it but the male lead was still Shahid instead of Bobby. I always felt it was a missed opportunity for Shahid and Preity not to star together.

I don't mind at all that the discussion has diverged from Shilpa lol. I love discussing the awards politics and what ifs?

This is why we needed the discussion on Nepotism/Favoritism. The industry should learn to give credit where its due. Amisha and Shilpa are not strong actresses, but they should've been recognized for the performances where they were good.

I hate Kangana now but I am happy she kick-started a discussion on Nepotism and sort of disrupted the industry. Although, it caused a lot collateral damage as people singled out the BW industry during the 2020 boycott movement.

Regarding Kareena, I don't think she would've stopped working even if Jab We Met didn't happen to her, because she has always maintained that she would never stop working in the industry. Jab We Met  just made her relevant again and brought her to the forefront in 2007. That year, she was in the limelight also for her break-up with Shahid, affair with Saif and also for going through physical transformation (size-zero) for her role in Tashan. If not JWM, she would've found some another film that would've got her the same accolades. 

Rani/Preeti tried to stay in the game, but their films in 2008-09 just did not work with the audience, even though they were not necessarily bad films. I think Aishwarya, who was the third pillar of early 2000s, was the only one who was still in the game in late 2000s too with films like Guru and Jodha Akbar. So many of Aish's films that she shot for in 2009, actually released in 2010, else she would've rocked 2009 too with Robot and Guzaarish. But she also left the industry after that.

So, I think it was all destiny. Coincidentally, their fall from top positions happened around the same time when the likes of Katrina, Priyanka, Vidya were rising to top positions.  Deepika's debut happened at the same time. So, the Khans, Akshay, Ajay etc moved on to the newer lot of heroines. SRK re-emerged in 2007 with OSO, Aamir staretd the 100Crore club with Ghazni in 2008 and Salman reinvented himself with Wanted (2009) and Dabangg (2010). So, this period was a paradigm shift in a matter of 2-3 years.

Indian audience also used to be really sexist. We still are to an extent, but gladly some of us have evovled. I remember how quickly people moved on from one batch of heroines. It used to happen every 6-7 years. But actors are given chances again and again. Someone interese

But I am glad Rani/Preeti/Aish were probably the last batch of actresses with shelf-life. Today, I am happy to see Vidya, Priyanka, Deepika, Kareena etc. still working in top projects. I am happy to see actresses like Shefali, Neena Gupta working in prominent roles and various 90s actresses headlining several OTT series.

I am also happy to see that the audience, by and large, does not accept Khans with younger actresses like Sara, Ananaya etc anymore , so they end up casting Deepika, Kareena, Katrina opposite them. There are few odd apples

Akshay is the biggest criminal in this territory.smiley11 I am sure, if given a chance, he wouln't mind romancing Harshali Malhotra or Aradhya in a few years.smiley30

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

This is why we needed the discussion on Nepotism/Favoritism. The industry should learn to give credit where its due. Amisha and Shilpa are not strong actresses, but they should've been recognized for the performances where they were good.

I hate Kangana now but I am happy she kick-started a discussion on Nepotism and sort of disrupted the industry. Although, it caused a lot collateral damage as people singled out the BW industry during the 2020 boycott movement.

Regarding Kareena, I don't think she would've stopped working even if Jab We Met didn't happen to her, because she has always maintained that she would never stop working in the industry. Jab We Met  just made her relevant again and brought her to the forefront in 2007. That year, she was in the limelight also for her break-up with Shahid, affair with Saif and also for going through physical transformation (size-zero) for her role in Tashan. If not JWM, she would've found some another film that would've got her the same accolades. 

Rani/Preeti tried to stay in the game, but their films in 2008-09 just did not work with the audience, even though they were not necessarily bad films. I think Aishwarya, who was the third pillar of early 2000s, was the only one who was still in the game in late 2000s too with films like Guru and Jodha Akbar. So many of Aish's films that she shot for in 2009, actually released in 2010, else she would've rocked 2009 too with Robot and Guzaarish. But she also left the industry after that.

So, I think it was all destiny. Coincidentally, their fall from top positions happened around the same time when the likes of Katrina, Priyanka, Vidya were rising to top positions.  Deepika's debut happened at the same time. So, the Khans, Akshay, Ajay etc moved on to the newer lot of heroines. SRK re-emerged in 2007 with OSO, Aamir staretd the 100Crore club with Ghazni in 2008 and Salman reinvented himself with Wanted (2009) and Dabangg (2010). So, this period was a paradigm shift in a matter of 2-3 years.

Indian audience also used to be really sexist. We still are to an extent, but gladly some of us have evovled. I remember how quickly people moved on from one batch of heroines. It used to happen every 6-7 years. But actors are given chances again and again. Someone interese

But I am glad Rani/Preeti/Aish were probably the last batch of actresses with shelf-life. Today, I am happy to see Vidya, Priyanka, Deepika, Kareena etc. still working in top projects. I am happy to see actresses like Shefali, Neena Gupta working in prominent roles and various 90s actresses headlining several OTT series.

I am also happy to see that the audience, by and large, does not accept Khans with younger actresses like Sara, Ananaya etc anymore , so they end up casting Deepika, Kareena, Katrina opposite them. There are few odd apples

Akshay is the biggest criminal in this territory.smiley11 I am sure, if given a chance, he wouln't mind romancing Harshali Malhotra or Aradhya in a few years.smiley30

I don't know if Shilpa ever felt blacklisted by the industry, minus her remarks that she felt rejected by the lack of awards, but I know Amisha has been vocal about being targeted and also feeling the awards are rigged and all political so she puts no weight in them. I wonder if the Special Filmfare award she won for Gadar was partly because it was felt she deserved to win but the politics behind everything meant she couldn't be awarded the Best Actress award so they had to come up with a special one for her.

The nepotism conversation is the only good thing Kangana did although she feels to see that while she had no family members to help her adjust to the industry, she had "godfathers" through the men she slept with. And I still find it ironic that she was the #1 most vocal spokesperson on boycotting Bollywood and then had to beg audiences to come see her movie this year.

I suppose that explains why Kareena continues to make movies even if she is working less and not as prominent anymore. She was one of those actresses who always stayed in the limelight, not because of her movies (minus Jab We Met) but because of her relationships, controversial statements, and also her size 0 period. I remember her being size 0 was a big deal which got a lot of media attention and spotlight.

Preity's films got very weird and experimental during the 2008/2009 period and weren't her usual type at all. Rani still tried with Dil Bole Hadippa! Preity's best work during this "lost" period was Heaven on Earth, the Canadian art film and I think she got some awards, or at least nominations, internationally for that. Very different from her usual roles as she was not playing someone fiesty or bubbly. I think Aishwarya benefited from the fact that she was not tied to Yash Raj as Rani and Preity were. Both of them were so closely connected to Yash Raj, with all their films being either YR or Dharma, that it seemed no other filmmakers could work with them so that initial blessing became a curse whereas Aishwarya's lack of association (minus Dhoom 2) ended up keeping her around for different roles and films.

And basically as you said, the new crop of actresses came so Rani/Preity/Aish suddenly became considered outdated and too closely tied to the 90s with romantic melodramas, rom coms, and tragedies that were falling out of vogue. Aamir, Salman, and even to an extent SRK, were changing their mold of films to masala films that cater to the masses and those weren't the types of roles that these actresses fit into.

Yeah, it's very tragic that heroes can act for decades but actresses sometimes don't even have a decade for a shelf life. That's changed now although when I see the actresses today who get to stick around, especially the ones iwth little talent, it becomes depressing to see that the wrong ones are benefitting. The 90s actresses are still unable to make comebacks except in streaming and OTT. I remember Juhi Chawla said she loved her villain role in Gulaab Gang but was very depressed when afterwards, she wasn't getting more roles of that caliber. She thought Gulaab Gang would give her a lot more great film roles like that which never came. She's an actress who had a very long shelf life since she debuted in 1988 and only lost her leading lady status in the early 2000s. Unlike contemporaries such as Madhuri and even Karishma, who all retired for family life/marriage, Juhi was still sticking around and making it work as a leading lady. Sadly her films with SRK were flopping but you can still she didn't want to give up the industry since she kept acting but in smaller, supporting roles. I watched One 2 Ka 4 recently and it amazed me that she looked so fresh and young in that film, with the same vibrancy that younger actresses from the early 2000s had. There was no reason for her to give up her leading lady status but sadly audiences were no longer accepting her.

I'm thankful we still have Katrina and Deepika to star alongside the Khans so we are spared the likes of Janhvi, Sara, Ananya, and even Alia. Akshay needs to learn this lesson though.