Serial actors and their dubbs

Inisabus thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 months ago

So i was just watching a clip of Swathi (Priya from Eeramana Rojave) win a vijay award and was surprised that she could indeed speak some tamil. Lately her voice artist have been changed in the series, and it just sounds odd.  

And this isnt a critique for the dubbing artists, but it has become repetitive to hear the same voice again and when you put whatever serial on. 

I saw a clip of Lavanya (Mullai, Pandian Stores & Sippikkul mutthu) and was surprised by her deep voice, but I definetly think, that it would have been refreshing to see her use he own voice. 

My big questions is that serial actors might have a contract that goes on for years, why don't they actually use their own voice?, when they might be fluent language?

So what do you think about this:

• Who is an actor you think could benefit from using their own voice?
  • Who is a dubbing artist who would benefit from showing more diversity in their delivery?
  • Are there any actors you a glad is using their own voice ? 
  • Are there any pair of actor and dubbing artist that is just a match made in heaven?
Edited by Inisabus - 11 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail

I'm just browsing here; I speak Marathi and no languages from further South, so I can't reply to most of your questions.

I can answer this: "Why don't they actually use their own voice?"

I happened to learn from an interview of an actor (Sai Ketan Rao) who was in a Telugu serial (Agnisākṣī, Star Maa), that the channel would put pressure on the production house to generate a bank of episodes, so the actor would be prompted his line, he would deliver it with expression, but there would be no microphone because all dialogue was dubbed. Actors couldn't dub their own scenes because it would have taken an hour or more to get from the set to the dubbing studio.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it could be easier to pay two artists per role instead of employing technicians to clip microphones under the actors' clothes.

Maybe producers value the time saved by not clipping microphones, not photocopying scripts, not letting actors memorize lines, and not yelling "Quiet on the set!"

Maybe assuring casting directors that language fluency and literacy aren't requirements allows them to reject authentic dark-skinned actors in favour of light-skinned actors from another state. Colourism means that makeup and lighting teams don't have to diversify their work.

I hope that TV industries in all languages will evolve so that actors can express their characters through their own voices. It's not fair to waste the effort that the on-screen actors have put into training their voices and learning the language. Over the past few years, I've enjoyed a Goan actor (Ashok Phal Dessai) as the lead in two Marathi TV serials because he delivers rural Marathi dialect convincingly. His native language is Konkani, his social media reveal that he's well-read in English, and he speaks pure Marathi in interviews, but none of that comes across on screen because he regularly does voice practice to get the right register and accent for his character. Other talented actors should have the same opportunities to shine.

Inisabus thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Thank you for the thoughts, and welcome to the forum.

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

I'm just browsing here; I speak Marathi and no languages from further South, so I can't reply to most of your questions.

I can answer this: "Why don't they actually use their own voice?"

I happened to learn from an interview of an actor (Sai Ketan Rao) who was in a Telugu serial (Agnisākṣī, Star Maa), that the channel would put pressure on the production house to generate a bank of episodes, so the actor would be prompted his line, he would deliver it with expression, but there would be no microphone because all dialogue was dubbed. Actors couldn't dub their own scenes because it would have taken an hour or more to get from the set to the dubbing studio. 

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it could be easier to pay two artists per role instead of employing technicians to clip microphones under the actors' clothes.It might also force writers to make a stronger Characters, than the typical obedient daughter in law or submissive husband and thereby giving them more. Or make the dubbing artists vary how they deliver their lines based on the character.  

Maybe producers value the time saved by not clipping microphones, not photocopying scripts, not letting actors memorize lines, and not yelling "Quiet on the set!"

Maybe assuring casting directors that language fluency and literacy aren't requirements allows them to reject authentic dark-skinned actors in favour of light-skinned actors from another state. Colourism means that makeup and lighting teams don't have to diversify their work. This is an ongoing issue in tv and movies as well, latest examples being Keerthi Suresh in Dasara getting "black-face" as well as Jayam Ravi in Agilan, both great actors but what is the need for making them darker? In the begining of her carriere even Rakshitha did a "black-face" for her role in Pirivom Santhipom - the tamil adaptation of Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai 

I hope that TV industries in all languages will evolve so that actors can express their characters through their own voices. It's not fair to waste the effort that the on-screen actors have put into training their voices and learning the language. Over the past few years, I've enjoyed a Goan actor (Ashok Phal Dessai) as the lead in two Marathi TV serials because he delivers rural Marathi dialect convincingly. His native language is Konkani, his social media reveal that he's well-read in English, and he speaks pure Marathi in interviews, but none of that comes across on screen because he regularly does voice practice to get the right register and accent for his character. Other talented actors should have the same opportunities to shine.

Edited by Inisabus - 11 months ago