Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MochaQueen thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by: tournesol

Guys, please do not res your posts, just draft your votes if you need to and post it in a non-edited post.

Sowwie, I just did that so I dont lose the thread.😳

Here are my votes

Microtales 

8. Byomkesh Bakshi's sharp mind and keen intuition always solved the crime, leaving criminals quaking in their boots.

18. He had the charm, the wit, and the courage. But when it mattered, he was powerless. Feluda couldn't save himself.

22. Kiriti Roy solved the case, but the victim turned out to be the killer all along.

23. Like the Royal Bengal Tiger, P.K Basu waited stealthily to make his move at the right moment, and nab the culprit in his game.

42. â€œWho stole the rosgullas?” Feluda stared intensely at the scribbled note by the 8-year old. Case resolved in 10 minutes. It was Nani.

Mini drabbles 

8. During Durga Puja, the streets of Kolkata teemed with excitement and revelry, but Kiriti Roy knew that danger lurked in the shadows. As he wove his way through the vibrant crowds, Kiriti kept his eyes peeled for any signs of trouble. For years, he had patrolled these streets, and he knew all too well the types of crimes that could occur during this festive season. But this year, Kiriti was determined to keep the city safe, no matter what it took.

13. Sehmat studied the shawl Abbu had ordered from Shantipuri. She knew it wasn't just a shawl. It was something for her father-in-law to help with his promotion to General. She kept the shawl on a lamp and noticed the faint marks. Sehmat couldn't help but smile. Though the words were indecipherable, in that second, she knew where she had got her spying skills from.

Ficlets 

6. Based on Prompt 1: https://imgur.com/XRNYtjc.png

“Bakshi!!!”

Byomkesh Bakshi was enjoying a peaceful moment on the beach, away from all his cases, watching the sunset, birds, and a ship sailing in the distance, when an uncharacteristically disturbed Arnav Singh Raizada rushed towards him.

“I swapped Khushi’s jalebis with that creamy sweet yogurt thing Satya Di had sent…” Arnav said breathlessly, as he reached Bakshi

“Mishti Doi” Byomkesh interjected. Satya, his wife had it sent over and asked Arnav to trade it with Khushi’s jalebis when he was complaining about her unhealthy eating habits.

“Yes, that…” Arnav acknowledged impatiently “…and I think it has backfired!”

Bakshi's curiosity was piqued. “Backfired? How?” Arnav had Bakshi’s full attention “Did she not like it?”

“Well…I didn’t wait to find out” Arnav said awkwardly, fidgeting with his Rolex. “Khushi was very angry when I snatched her jalebis” He looked up feeling distressed but continued, nevertheless. “She tasted the Mishti Doi, muttered something in Bengali and ran away” Arnav completed in one breath as he sank down besides Bakshi, uncaring of ruining his custom fit Armani suit.

“What did she say that has got you so depressed, Raizada?” Bakshi asked, trying to understand the situation.

“It sounded vaguely like – Ami tomato balushahi or something.”

Byomkesh shook his head at the absurd situation as he hunted for a song on his phone. Shoving it under Raizada’s nose, he went back to appreciating the sunset as his friend’s hesitant smile grew to a full-blown grin while watching the cheesy Bollywood number.

9. Based on Prompt 2: https://imgur.com/l9Yb6Jh.png

Byomkesh Bakshi had always been fascinated by the strange and the unusual. So, when he received a letter from a scientist named Dr. Panda, he was intrigued. Dr. Panda claimed to have made a groundbreaking discovery, one that would change the world forever.

When Byomkesh arrived at Dr. Panda's laboratory, he found the scientist in a state of panic. Dr. Panda explained that he had created a device that could transport objects and people to alternate dimensions. But something had gone wrong, and he feared that he had unleashed something dangerous into the world.

Byomkesh quickly realized that Dr. Panda's fears were not unfounded. A strange, otherworldly creature had emerged from the device, wreaking havoc on the laboratory.

Using his quick thinking and sharp mind, Byomkesh was able to outsmart the creature and destroy the device. Dr. Panda was relieved, and thanked Byomkesh for his help.

As he left the laboratory, Byomkesh couldn't help but think about the strange and mysterious forces that lurked just beneath the surface of the world.

15. Based on Prompt 1: https://imgur.com/XRNYtjc.png

Feluda handed me the painting he’d brought from Mister Samaddar’s room. ‘What do you make of it, Topshe?’

I looked at it intently, though I could find anything unusual in it.

Feluda shook his head. ‘Do be more observant, Topshe. Look at the upper right hand corner of the painting, just above the water. Do you see that longish bird next to the sun?’

I looked at the painting once again. ‘Yes’, I said. ‘But it doesn’t even look like a bird’

‘That’s because it isn’t a bird’, Feluda said, taking the painting from me. ‘It’s a scratch and it wasn’t there when Mister Samddar showed us around the house two days ago. In all probability, the intruder broke into the room, crashed against the bedside table in the dark and the painting fell on the floor. The broken glass scratched the surface of the canvas. Mister Samaddar had the painting repaired the next morning and told his wife she’d only dreamt of the attack’.

‘Why would Mister Samaddar lie?’ I asked.

‘Why does an art critic as snobbish as he keep this rather juvenile painting framed on his bedside table?’ Feluda retorted. ‘Possiblyfor the same reason that he’s trying to cover up all evidence of a break-in: sentimental value.’

‘You mean he knows the intruder?’ I asked, incredulous.

‘Yes’, replied Feluda thoughtfully. ‘Unless I am much mistaken, our mysterious man of the night is the Samaddars’ son, Paritosh.’

HereAsMyself thumbnail
Micro Phobia Contest Participant 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Microtales:

1. Amidst the sindoori smoke enveloping the pandal, and his own growing despair, a golden tooth flashed! Chipped. Feluda’s hand reached for the killer’s collar. 

7. "Atul and murderer! Nah impossible." Ajit noticed a strange glint in his roommate's eyes—that can't be a murderer's. He's determined to free his friend. 

14. Every time Kolkata prepared for Durgashtmi, Rana thought of Vidya Bagchi, and he wondered if she was real or his mind's fantasy.

15. Feluda strolled the Kolkata book fair, but his attention shifted to a suspicious character. The twist? The suspect was his biggest fan.

17. Guess who I saw at Cox's Bazar? "Who?" "Arjun!" "The actor?" "No, the detective!"

Minidrabbles:

1. 4.00 am! Detective Mukhopadhyay was on his way from Lalbazar Police Station to Mullick Ghat. Finally he reached his destination. Through a maze of corridors and rooms, he reached the steps leading down to the Hooghly. A few men stood at the water's edge, bending over something. He approached and pushed them back. A lifeless figure lay half on the steps of the ghat. He turned the figure around. A man stared at him from sightless eyes. His body was bloated and pale in the light of the lamps. Detective Mukhopadhyay sighed wearily. A new case waiting to be solved!

3.   Ayaan Bagchi had the perfect life. He had nothing to complain about.

But everytime he passed by the Maheshwari Nivas, the bunglow next to his, the police officer's eyes would search for Jeetu. He wished he could walk upto Jeetu and tell him how he felt, to tell him that he loved him. He would wonder what it must be to hold his hand.

Ayaan Bagchi had the perfect life, but Jeetu wasn't a part of it.

Ficlets:

Based on Prompt 3: https://imgur.com/I1Xo5d6.png

Calcutta, 19th century

Detective Mukhopadhyay stood in the shade of a deep-drawn roof at the Kalighat temple, right by the steps leading down to the canal. Dawn was slowly setting in. The place was well chosen. It was very enlivened. Countless people were performing their ritual bath before going into the temple. He took a deep drag from his cigarette and watched carefully the narrow long boats, laden with goods, passing by. Some docked to take people to the temple. Nothing again! Slowly he grew impatient. Had his middleman stood him up? Had he been taken in by an impostor? There! A man got out of a boat. He stood irresolutely on the steps and looked around. With a piercing stare he looked at the building with the roof pulled down. The detective's attention was focused on the man who was now hurriedly climbing the steps, ruthlessly pushing his way through the people. Was this his man? Mukhopadhyay stepped out of the shadows onto the steps and was promptly jostled. Inconspicuously, a small package changed hands and disappeared under the scarf the inspector had wrapped around. Without stopping, the man hurried further to the temple. Satisfied, Mukhopadhyay turned and made his way back. He hoped that his middleman would not disappointed him and that he would find the decisive clue to solving his current case in the package. He absolutely had to find this murderer and arrest him. The people in Kumartuli should be able to live in their neighbourhood again without fear.

Based on Prompt 7: https://i.imgur.com/oCyRxtE.png

Calcutta. The perfect place to disappear! Sadly, she thought about the argument with Archie. Without further ado, she had booked a ship passage from Tilbury to Bombay. From there she had travelled on by train and put up at a small guesthouse. She sighed and concentrated on the soiree at the Great Eastern Hotel. Annie Scott, whom she had befriend at a tea party, had invited her.

The two ladies chatted animatedly, ignoring the glances of a few young officers. Annie reached for a slice of orange and ate it with relish. Suddenly she sank down and grabbed her neck. Her face turned bright red.

"Annie! A doctor! Quick!"

Annie gasped and drew her last breath. A bad suspicion sprouted in Agatha! She bent over Annie and smelled her mouth. Bitter almond! She let Annie slide to the floor. This was just like in her novels! "Hercule... what would Hercule do?" Feverishly she thought!

"No one touches anything here! No one leaves the room!" she shouted loudly. "And call the police!"

"Police? Here´s the doctor!" Colonel Mackenzie wrung his hands excitedly.

"The Miss has been poisoned!" said the doctor. Horrified silence spread.

"Colonel! Have the hotel staff assembled!"

"Mrs. Christie! I beg your pardon! What do you think you're doing?"

"This is a murder case, Colonel! Do as I say! And have them sent for the police at last!"

Agatha Christie lowered herself into a chair. Who would have thought that one day her novel fantasies would become reality?

Based on Prompt 1: https://imgur.com/XRNYtjc.png

"O Satyanweshi, please wait for a moment...."

Byomkesh saw a little boy running towards him.

After doing a brief Namaskar, the little boy presented his strange request. Byomkesh had not had such a case so far.

"Satyanweshi, I haven't seen my father for so long; he left me here in Nischindipur without even informing me of his whereabouts. Can you please find him and let him know that his Kajol isn't happy without him? And tell him to return immediately to his Kajol."

Byomkesh listened attentively to the words of this small boy. For a while, he felt as though his own son was voicing his complaints about his father. He couldn't return home for more than a month due to several back-to-back cases. He sensed that his son might also be looking for him like this kid, wondering when his Baba would return.

"Well, Kajol, can you please call your mother once? And I need to know every detail about your father. What's his name?" inquired Byomkesh.

"My mother's no more..... My father's name is Apurba Roy. Ranu Pisi says that Baba went to some faraway land by ship over the bottomless sea. Is his wanderlust more dear to him than his Kajol?" 

"Oh, I think I've heard your father's name before. Is he the famous writer?" 

"Yes."

"Well, Kajol, he shall be back soon. I promise that I'll look for him. Until then, let's come with me; I have a little boy the same age as yours."

Hakuna_Matata11 thumbnail

All the entries are awesome.

My vote goes to these:-

Microtales-

2- Ami tomake bhalobashi, she told her detective husband, after he solved his 100th case!

8-Byomkesh Bakshi's sharp mind and keen intuition always solved the crime, leaving criminals quaking in their boots.

23-Like the Royal Bengal Tiger, P.K Basu waited stealthily to make his move at the right moment, and nab the culprit in his game.

30-The Bengali classical singer hummed in the background, but Sehmat was captivated by her husband's beauty. She was prepared for everything but falling in love.

39- "What is the Murderer's alibi?" "Eating Rosogolla, he claims" "Turns out, even the sweetness of Rosogolla couldn't mask the bitterness of his crime"

Minidrabbles-

6. Byomkesh Bakshi, the brilliant Bengali detective, sat in his study, smoking his pipe. He had just solved another perplexing case, but his mind was already racing towards his next one. He was a man of sharp intellect, piercing observation, and unwavering determination. But despite his successes, he remained humble and unassuming, always seeking to learn and improve. For Byomkesh Bakshi, the thrill of the chase was a never-ending adventure.

16. Sherlock’s eyes closed and his head moved to the sounds of the tabla. Colonel Sarkar had been right. Music was music in any form. You just had to absorb it. His right hand came up as if conducting, each beat giving his mind the rest it needed and giving him the cleansing he didn’t know he wanted. John had been right to bring him to Howrah. It was the break he had needed.

At that thought, he looked at John, who simply said, “I know.”

Sherlock smiled wholesomely, a rare occurrence, as he turned his attention back to the tabla.

Ficlets-

11. Based on Prompt 3: https://imgur.com/I1Xo5d6.png

Calcutta, 19th century

Detective Mukhopadhyay stood in the shade of a deep-drawn roof at the Kalighat temple, right by the steps leading down to the canal. Dawn was slowly setting in. The place was well chosen. It was very enlivened. Countless people were performing their ritual bath before going into the temple. He took a deep drag from his cigarette and watched carefully the narrow long boats, laden with goods, passing by. Some docked to take people to the temple. Nothing again! Slowly he grew impatient. Had his middleman stood him up? Had he been taken in by an impostor? There! A man got out of a boat. He stood irresolutely on the steps and looked around. With a piercing stare he looked at the building with the roof pulled down. The detective's attention was focused on the man who was now hurriedly climbing the steps, ruthlessly pushing his way through the people. Was this his man? Mukhopadhyay stepped out of the shadows onto the steps and was promptly jostled. Inconspicuously, a small package changed hands and disappeared under the scarf the inspector had wrapped around. Without stopping, the man hurried further to the temple. Satisfied, Mukhopadhyay turned and made his way back. He hoped that his middleman would not disappointed him and that he would find the decisive clue to solving his current case in the package. He absolutely had to find this murderer and arrest him. The people in Kumartuli should be able to live in their neighbourhood again without fear.

15. Based on Prompt 1: https://imgur.com/XRNYtjc.png

Feluda handed me the painting he’d brought from Mister Samaddar’s room. ‘What do you make of it, Topshe?’

I looked at it intently, though I could find anything unusual in it.

Feluda shook his head. ‘Do be more observant, Topshe. Look at the upper right hand corner of the painting, just above the water. Do you see that longish bird next to the sun?’

I looked at the painting once again. ‘Yes’, I said. ‘But it doesn’t even look like a bird’

‘That’s because it isn’t a bird’, Feluda said, taking the painting from me. ‘It’s a scratch and it wasn’t there when Mister Samddar showed us around the house two days ago. In all probability, the intruder broke into the room, crashed against the bedside table in the dark and the painting fell on the floor. The broken glass scratched the surface of the canvas. Mister Samaddar had the painting repaired the next morning and told his wife she’d only dreamt of the attack’.

‘Why would Mister Samaddar lie?’ I asked.

‘Why does an art critic as snobbish as he keep this rather juvenile painting framed on his bedside table?’ Feluda retorted. ‘Possiblyfor the same reason that he’s trying to cover up all evidence of a break-in: sentimental value.’

‘You mean he knows the intruder?’ I asked, incredulous.

‘Yes’, replied Feluda thoughtfully. ‘Unless I am much mistaken, our mysterious man of the night is the Samaddars’ son, Paritosh.’

23. Based on Prompt 5: https://i.imgur.com/WF7ierW.jpg

Sherlock watched the ball roll to a stop. He gazed at the man standing across from him, holding a gun. He said, “Moriarty. So good to see you again. I judge that it was no hard endeavour to find me in these busy Calcutta streets.”

“You make it rather easy Mr. Holmes and it’s Kolkata,” Professor Moriarty responded. He indicated with the gun, “The key, if you so please.”

“I see. Still after the key? Do sit down and try these…what were these again Sam?”

“Luchi and kosha mangsho,” Sam, the waiter, responded.”

“Yes those. Do try some. I insist,” Sherlock said, pushing the plate forward.

“I have a fickle stomach. The key.”

Sherlock sighed, “Well if you must.”

He threw the key towards Moriarty and watched him catch it. Moriarty gave his hat a tap and then left the pool hall. Mycroft came out from his hiding place and demanded, “What was that? How can you give him the key so calmly and remain seated here?!!”

“Simple my dear Mycroft. Quite simple,” Sherlock responded. He opened the book lying beside the ball and held up a key identical to the one Moriarty had taken. “Now we have all the time in the world to find the real safe and unlock the mysteries within. Should we join John at the Victoria Memorial now?”

“You are incorrigible,” Mycroft chuckled.

Sherlock gave a half smile and agreed, “That I am my dear brother. That I am.”

WildestDreams thumbnail

Amazing entries by everyone!❤️

Here my votes

Microtale Number 8-11-28-38-44

Mini drabble Number 7-19

Ficlet number 9-10-14

Vedika.Kapoor thumbnail

Microtale: 8 - 11 - 23-25- 44 

Mini Drabble : 4-5

Ficlet number : 6- 15-19

Viswasruti thumbnail

1 Amidst the sindoori smoke enveloping the pandal, and his own growing despair, a golden tooth flashed! Chipped. Feluda’s hand reached for the killer’s collar. 

8 Byomkesh Bakshi's sharp mind and keen intuition always solved the crime, leaving criminals quaking in their boots.

14 Every time Kolkata prepared for Durgashtmi, Rana thought of Vidya Bagchi, and he wondered if she was real or his mind's fantasy. 

20 His footprints had traces of red clay. This was odd. Bankura was far away. Unless he was a potter. Of course! Case closed. 

31 The clues were everywhere, but they led to a dead end. Byomkesh Bakshi realized too late he was the culprit.

----------------------  

As Feluda arrived at the Howrah station, he felt a familiar thrill of excitement. For years, he had roamed these bustling platforms, solving the city's most challenging cases. From the ornate architecture of the Howrah Bridge to the vibrant markets of the nearby streets, Feluda knew this city like the back of his hand. With his keen eye for detail and sharp intellect, he was ready to take on any mystery that came his way in this beloved part of his home.

Byomkesh Bakshi, the brilliant Bengali detective, sat in his study, smoking his pipe. He had just solved another perplexing case, but his mind was already racing towards his next one. He was a man of sharp intellect, piercing observation, and unwavering determination. But despite his successes, he remained humble and unassuming, always seeking to learn and improve. For Byomkesh Bakshi, the thrill of the chase was a never-ending adventure.

--------------------  

1. Based on Prompt 2: https://imgur.com/l9Yb6Jh.png

A few days back. The famous criminal investigator, Chandrachur Shom was seated in his living room, listening to Dr. Chowdhury. 

"I request that you investigate Sharmili's death and give culprit a befitting punishment."

Just a year back, renowned materials scientist, Dr. Sharmili Bose, married her longtime friend and chemical scientist, Dr. Sujoy Chowdhury. The news of her death comes as a shock to everyone. Her body was found in synthesis laboratory. Her post-mortem report suggests death occurred by inhaling poisonous gas. 

"Look, Abhay, it's a well-planned homicide. Dr. Bose developed a new material that behaves like human brain, with very low power consumption, in collaboration with famous physicist, Dr. Prafulla Chakraborty. Undoubtedly, such breakthrough invention would catapult Dr. Bose to the pinnacle of success. He's my primary suspect since he'd take full credit for this invention in her absence. It's being said that Dr. Chakraborty's relationship with Bose was more than just that of a collaborator. Hence, his motive didn't seem stronger to me. Dr. Chowdhury arranged it in a way that points to Dr. Chakraborty as principal culprit. He approached me to reinforce this aspect. Are you acquainted with the primitive instinct of a man? He can hardly bear for his wife to be professionally more successful than him. And, if that wife has a strong affinity with another man, there's a chance for such horrendous incident to happen. Well, I've some urgent work, meet me in the evening," Chandrachur took out cigarette and walked straight into his car.

4. Based on Prompt 8: https://imgur.com/PH5qPnh.png

As the train rattled and Inspector Kishor Chattopadhyay read through the "Kasuati Ka Keher" he joined the pieces of the murder mystery that had left him stumped for the last seven years.

But what he failed to understand was the duality of Love. Love is supposed to be kind and giving. But the Love between Rani and Rishi wasn't kind, or, at least, he didn't feel so. But he also knew that love could be insane. Could Love have such two different faces? One was when Rani and Rishi moved on from the speed breaker in their marriage by being soft with each, and the other face was just scary. They had gone to the lengths of killing a man, of cutting Rishi's arm.

"You wouldn't cut your nails for me," His wife muttered in her sleep, and Kishor agreed. He loved her. His love had just one face, and he hoped that he would never have to look at the monster in him, at least when it came to love. 

24. Based on Prompt 1: https://imgur.com/XRNYtjc.png

"Sherlock, you need to learn some humility. Not even you can get everything right," grumbled John Watson as he took a bite of Maccher jhol and rice.

They were staying at the Mandermoni Beach Resort. The sun had just set, and the view was breathtaking. Sherlock sat a little further away from him.

"Oh Watson, I do" Sherlock replied lazily as he slung his violin over his shoulder, and soon hauntingly beautiful melodies began to waft on the cool summer breeze. Sherlock was, without a doubt, performing an original composition.

"Your arrogance is showing, brother dear" Mycroft sat down with them at their table.

"Merely a faith in my abilities," Sherlock replied as his composition reached a climax.

With a lazy flick of his wrist, his bow came to a halt, and the evening fell silent. Sherlock smirked and rose to join Watson and Mycroft at the table.

Just as he was about to take his first bite of Maccher jhol and rice, Watson said something that took Sherlock's smirk away and left Mycroft perplexed.

"Norbury," said  Watson.

LazyBing thumbnail

Love all the entries 😍

My votes: 

Microtales 🖊 4, 5, 22, 26, 28 

Minidrabbles 🖊 4, 19 

Ficlets 🖊 4, 5, 17 

Good luck to all participants 💗

After reading everyone else's "detective story with Bengali element" submissions, I know how weak my own entry looks by comparison. (Those who can guess which one I wrote, please don't expose me until voting is over!) I can't read Bangla, and I gave up reading mysteries thirty years ago, but since I was tagged for this contest, I participated, and I'm tagging ten people in case they would like to vote.

I vote for these five Microtales:

15. Feluda strolled the Kolkata book fair, but his attention shifted to a suspicious character. The twist? The suspect was his biggest fan.

20. His footprints had traces of red clay. This was odd. Bankura was far away. Unless he was a potter. Of course! Case closed.

22. Kiriti Roy solved the case, but the victim turned out to be the killer all along.

31. The clues were everywhere, but they led to a dead end. Byomkesh Bakshi realized too late he was the culprit.

42. “Who stole the rosgullas?” Feluda stared intensely at the scribbled note by the 8-year old. Case resolved in 10 minutes. It was Nani.

I vote for these two Minidrabbles:

4. Ayesha was in a panic. The earrings her grandmother had brought for her from Bangladesh were missing. She had searched her whole room but there was no sign of them.

Just then her phone rang. "Hello?" She answered.

It was Aishwarya on the line, her best friend.

"Listen Aish, can I call you later? I have an emergency right now! My earrings are missing!" Just then she remembered Aishwarya's brother was a detective. "Wait! Could you send Arjun over?"

Arjun only took a few minutes to reach her, only to point out that she was wearing the earrings all along.

13. Sehmat studied the shawl Abbu had ordered from Shantipuri. She knew it wasn't just a shawl. It was something for her father-in-law to help with his promotion to General. She kept the shawl on a lamp and noticed the faint marks. Sehmat couldn't help but smile. Though the words were indecipherable, in that second, she knew where she had got her spying skills from.

I vote for these three Ficlets:

5. Based on Prompt 6: https://i.imgur.com/sAUx6Pp.jpg

Bablu repeated, “It’s quite simple. See this empty street. Find out why. The first person to do so will get the chance to lead the next time we are called to solve a case.”

Bilu raced down the street to the house with the empty chair, while Bhombol went after the man that had turned onto the street. Bachchu and Bichchhu divided the houses and started knocking on doors. Bablu smiled on seeing their eagerness. He knew that they would all find the reason and he had a feeling that Bachchu and Bichchhu would get to it first. He rubbed Panchu’s head and asked, “What do you think? Who will get to the answer first?”

Panchu fixed him with a solemn gaze as if agreeing with Bablu’s thoughts. Bilu came rushing and responded, “They’ve all been kidnapped.”

“Wrong,” Bablu said. Bhombol had also come back in this time, but his face fell at Bablu’s reply and he turned back to get a new response.

Bichchhu heard something and stopped Bachchu, “Listen. Do you hear that?”

Bachchu glanced at Bichchhu and both yelled out in unison, “It’s namaaz time!”

Bablu nodded, “Correct.”

Bilu scowled, “Not fair!”

“What’s not fair? Why did you and Bhombol assume that something had gone wrong? We need to keep an open mind until we have more details. That’s what they did. They kept an open mind and heard the azaan. Remember if you assume, you will only look for clues to prove yourself right,” Bablu responded.

19. Based on Prompt 1: https://imgur.com/XRNYtjc.png

"O Satyanweshi, please wait for a moment...."

Byomkesh saw a little boy running towards him.

After doing a brief Namaskar, the little boy presented his strange request. Byomkesh had not had such a case so far.

"Satyanweshi, I haven't seen my father for so long; he left me here in Nischindipur without even informing me of his whereabouts. Can you please find him and let him know that his Kajol isn't happy without him? And tell him to return immediately to his Kajol."

Byomkesh listened attentively to the words of this small boy. For a while, he felt as though his own son was voicing his complaints about his father. He couldn't return home for more than a month due to several back-to-back cases. He sensed that his son might also be looking for him like this kid, wondering when his Baba would return.

"Well, Kajol, can you please call your mother once? And I need to know every detail about your father. What's his name?" inquired Byomkesh.

"My mother's no more..... My father's name is Apurba Roy. Ranu Pisi says that Baba went to some faraway land by ship over the bottomless sea. Is his wanderlust more dear to him than his Kajol?" 

"Oh, I think I've heard your father's name before. Is he the famous writer?" 

"Yes."

"Well, Kajol, he shall be back soon. I promise that I'll look for him. Until then, let's come with me; I have a little boy the same age as yours."

23. Based on Prompt 5: https://i.imgur.com/WF7ierW.jpg

Sherlock watched the ball roll to a stop. He gazed at the man standing across from him, holding a gun. He said, “Moriarty. So good to see you again. I judge that it was no hard endeavour to find me in these busy Calcutta streets.”

“You make it rather easy Mr. Holmes and it’s Kolkata,” Professor Moriarty responded. He indicated with the gun, “The key, if you so please.”

“I see. Still after the key? Do sit down and try these…what were these again Sam?”

“Luchi and kosha mangsho,” Sam, the waiter, responded.”

“Yes those. Do try some. I insist,” Sherlock said, pushing the plate forward.

“I have a fickle stomach. The key.”

Sherlock sighed, “Well if you must.”

He threw the key towards Moriarty and watched him catch it. Moriarty gave his hat a tap and then left the pool hall. Mycroft came out from his hiding place and demanded, “What was that? How can you give him the key so calmly and remain seated here?!!”

“Simple my dear Mycroft. Quite simple,” Sherlock responded. He opened the book lying beside the ball and held up a key identical to the one Moriarty had taken. “Now we have all the time in the world to find the real safe and unlock the mysteries within. Should we join John at the Victoria Memorial now?”

“You are incorrigible,” Mycroft chuckled.

Sherlock gave a half smile and agreed, “That I am my dear brother. That I am.”

nushhkiee thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail + 3

Hey there, lovely writers. All entries were fabulous ... đŸ‘ 

Here are my votes -

Microtales- 3 , 5 , 11 , 16 , 42 

Minidrabbles - 2 , 4

Ficlets - 4 , 16 , 27

shiiny thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6