Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

heavenlybliss thumbnail

Plot Pundits

Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

Huh? Okay. I went over and checked it out on GoodReads but the blurb did not give me any impression of it having any sort of erotic content 😆.

Oh I meant the TV series you said - on Hotstar?

I liked TLH. A lot. Perhaps I was too objective and analytical in my review. 🤔 You should read it and judge for yourself.

That's why I was so surprised when I came across those erotic scenes. That was totally unexpected.😆 I was wondering why they took this series to Hotstar instead of Star Plus, since its that typical enemies to lovers trope which SP audience dies for, but now I understand why after reading the book! They probably didn't wanna compromise on the romance.😆

The hotstar series is called Dear Ishq - it stars Niyati Fatnani and Sehban Azim in lead roles.

I will get to reading TLH someday. But the plot doesn't really intrigue me. :P But I have that issue with most plots anyway and end up liking them, so let's see.

Updated my review!

Queen0fDarkness thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Jimmy Jab Games Season 7 0 Thumbnail + 8

Book Title: To Love Jason Thorn

Author: Ella Maise

Year published: December 2015 ( I thought it was released recently given it was listed in the new releases section in the WHSmith stores here in the UK)

Genre/s:

Contemporary romance, chick lit, romcom

Tropes (if applicable):
Brother's best friend, marriage of convenience, contract marriage

Probable Triggers:

N/A

Maturity rating (General audience/ teens/ Adult):

Adult

Your personal rating (out of 5):

3 Stars

Synopsis (a short spoiler-free blurb):

Jason Thorn… My brother’s childhood friend.

Oh, how stupidly in love with that boy I was. He was the first boy that made me blush, my first official crush. Sounds beautiful so far, right? That excitement that bubbles up inside you, those famous butterflies you feel for the very first time—he was the reason for them all. But, you only get to live in that fairytale world until they crush your hopes and dreams and then stomp on your heart for good measure. And boy did he crush my little heart into pieces.

After the stomping part he became the boy I did my best to stay away from—and let me tell you, it was pretty hard to do when he slept in the room right across from mine.

When tragedy struck his family and they moved away, I was ready to forget he ever existed.

Now he is a movie star, the one who makes women of all ages go into a screaming frenzy, the one who makes everyone swoon with that dimpled smile of his. Do you think that’s dreamy? I certainly don’t think so. How about me coming face to face with him? Nope still not dreamy. Not when I can’t even manage to look him in the eye.

Me? I’m Olive, a new writer. Actually, I’m THE writer of the book that inspired the movie he is about to star in on the big screen. As of late, I am also referred to as the oh-so-very-lucky girl who is about to become the wife of Jason Thorn.

Maybe you’re thinking yet again that this is all so dreamy? Nope, nothing dreamy going on here. Not even close.

Review

Rating: 3 🌟🌟🌟

Writing: 🌟🌟🌟

Hero: 🌟🌟

Heroine: 🌟🌟🌟

HEA ending.

I listened to the audiobook for this story whilst I baked a birthday cake, made a batch of oreo cheesecakes and a ferrero rocher bouquet 😂

Okay, so where do I start with this... I was conflicted with how I wanted to rate this. I settled for 3 😂 I think because I had listened to the audiobook for this, it made it a little easier to rate. If I were to sit and read this myself, I probably would've rated it a 2.5 and it would've taken me a week to finish it because I would have been bored possibly.

This is my second of Ella Maise, after reading her book 'Marriage for One' a couple of years ago, I did have high expectations because I did love that book. This one did not impress. The writing was simplistic and a little off. It was ok. Not the best or almost amazing which is what I wanted when I read her book.

I did like the beginning of starting with her childhood and the few scenes of her relationship between her brother and Jason. It shows the dynamic they shared which I enjoyed.

The blurb made it seem like a cute romantic story and I did think it was going to be like that but it was not. I know the trope is brother's best friend, but it is so cliche when every single sister of that brother has puppy eyes for that friend and follows them around. And the friend only seems to think you're cute. Not hot like the other girls he's eyeing and sleeping around with.

Olive had her heart broken and I really thought she'd remain detached following that heart break because she did develop feelings for him even if it seemed she was too young. But sometimes that childhood crush/first love sort of stays with you. Those first feelings of love and adoration, the sneaky side eyes, hot flustered cheeks trying to seem nonchalant. Even if it was one sided but they were friendly. Jason was great to her and doesn't seem to recall breaking her heart when they meet after so many years.

When they'd met, I thought she'd stay determined and stay out of his way by avoiding him. After the first one or two meets, she's got those puppy eyes for him and is willing to help him out with the issues he's facing and needs a wife. I just wish she'd made him work for it. Olive gave in rather quickly because each time they were close, she remembered the old flame of love she held in her heart for him.

The smutty scenes weren't great either. I did end up skipping because it was a little cringy and cheesy. The story I expected to be sweet romantic with a hot scene here or there but with the emotions of love or attraction etc but it lacked that. It was just all lust from Jason and from Olive, it was just her giving in to him so easily because she's held these feelings for him for so many bloody years. I wanted Jason to work for it, I wanted him to date her, even if it was some publicity stunt, I wanted him to date her and show a side to him that she did not know. But she did not get another side to him, she got the Jason Thorn that every other person sees.

Jason was not the dreamy boy Olive and others see him as. I did like his endearments for Olive and I think that's all I liked about him. And maybe the forehead kisses. I felt he lacked an actual personality, he was 2D for me rather than a fully fledged character. He did not have enough substance to his character. Even when it came to the chapters that were from his POV, I don't think I got anything besides that he likes Olive's ass and breasts and is always lusty for it. His love also seems shallow compared to Olive's. Actually his love is shallow for Olive and her entire family. I just remembered, her family had taken him in and were his support and showered him with the love, support and respected he needed but when he moved away, he did not keep in touch. I don't care that he did not keep in touch with Olive, but he should HAVE kept in touch with Dylan! That was his best friend. Also Dylan and Olive's parents. They'd loved him so yes that was something that disappointed me even more.

The twist or issue that makes him realise he loves her and wants her is cliche and again very simplistic so it was quite predictable when it came to the scenes.

The dreamy bit I think was the epilogue, the cute kinda romance I had wanted to see but got so little of it through the book.

So in conclusion, this was not it for me. But I will give Ella Maise another try because I loved her Marriage for One so I cannot write her off for a book that I did find okay.

My other current reads are:
It happened one summber by Tessa Bailey. On chapter 9 for that. Still trying to get my head around some stuff but it is cute and I am enjoying it a little. Some scenes I'm finding cringy and having the moments of second-hand embarassment 😂 but I'm pushing forward with it and hope it does impress.

Empress of Poisons by Bree Porter. On chapter 21 for that. LOVING THIS!!! There is not enough praise or words that I have at this moment for this story.

Title: It happened one summer (The Bellinger sisters #1)

Author: Tessa Bailey

Year published: 2021

Genre/s: Contemporary romance

Tropes (if applicable): Sunshine/grumpy, opposites attract

Probable Triggers: Not sure

Maturity rating: Adult

Rating: 4 stars

Synopsis (a short spoiler-free blurb):

Piper Bellinger is fashionable, influential, and her reputation as a wild child means the paparazzi are constantly on her heels. When too much champagne and an out-of-control rooftop party lands Piper in the slammer, her stepfather decides enough is enough. So he cuts her off, and sends Piper and her sister to learn some responsibility running their late father’s dive bar... in Washington.

Piper hasn’t even been in Westport for five minutes when she meets big, bearded sea captain Brendan, who thinks she won’t last a week outside of Beverly Hills. So what if Piper can’t do math, and the idea of sleeping in a shabby apartment with bunk beds gives her hives. How bad could it really be? She’s determined to show her stepfather—and the hot, grumpy local—that she’s more than a pretty face.

Except it’s a small town and everywhere she turns, she bumps into Brendan. The fun-loving socialite and the gruff fisherman are polar opposites, but there’s an undeniable attraction simmering between them. Piper doesn’t want any distractions, especially feelings for a man who sails off into the sunset for weeks at a time. Yet as she reconnects with her past and begins to feel at home in Westport, Piper starts to wonder if the cold, glamorous life she knew is what she truly wants. LA is calling her name, but Brendan—and this town full of memories—may have already caught her heart.

Review (My goodreads review):

Rating: 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Writing: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Hero: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Heroine: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

HEA ending

I put this book off for nearly a year. I bought the paper back in July 2022 and finally decided to read it. I was going to stop reading after reading the first couple of chapters. Piper seemed like an airhead, a one dimensional character and I was like no freaking way a couple of times. I pushed on wanting to know why so many loved this and why it had trended on all platforms.

I was so grateful when she went to Westport and you saw there was more to her. She did have a personality and wasn't an airhead like it seemed in the beginning. I love how the story progressed. The supporting characters were just so well written and you see there's more to Piper. So freaking much more. I love the new bonds she forms with the supporting characters.

Brendan is a grumpy fisherman. He was direct and did presume that Piper is just a spoiled brat and seems stupid. But he starts seeing there is more to her. He was absolutely cute especially the scene when he signs up on IG to see her photos.

“It won’t let me just use my own name as my username.”

“Yeah, probably because about nine hundred Brendan Taggarts joined before you.”

“So what should I use?”

“CaptainCutie69,” Fox spat out.

“IGotCrabs4U,” Deke supplied.

“SlipperyWhenWet.”

Brendan stared. “You’re all fired. Go home.”

Piper in the memorial scene was just hilarious 😂

I loved the way Brendan thought, he realised she'd be leaving her life behind if she stayed with him in Westport and wanted to impress her, show her, and make up for the things she'd miss out. I love how Piper told him she loved all of that, but she didn't need him to do any of that.

And his response ❤️

Like all books, this book did have an misunderstanding and the reunion was just beyond adorable. I loved that scene.

I really appreciated how Tessa Bailey wrote the relationship between Piper and Hannah. I love it when authors do this. I love reading on sisters being so close because it is a bond I share with my sisters. I cannot wait to read Hannah and Fox's story because you could FEEL the tension in the air.

Overall, I am so glad I finally added it to my March goals to read this book. It left a warm feeling and a smile on my face when I finished it. 😊

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Narrative Ninjas

You summarized exactly how I felt while I read this book. I started off feeling nahhh I don’t think I’m gonna like this but I did a total complete 180 at the end. Fox and Hannah’s story is worth it. It’s different from Piper and Brendan’s and that is a good thing, believe me. I loved both books!

Title: After I do

Author: Taylor Jenkins Reid

Year published: 2014

Genre/s: Women's fiction, contemporary romance

Tropes (if applicable): N/A

Probable Triggers: Not sure

Maturity rating: Adult

Rating: 4 stars

Synopsis

When Lauren and Ryan’s marriage reaches the breaking point, they come up with an unconventional plan. They decide to take a year off in the hopes of finding a way to fall in love again. One year apart, and only one rule: they cannot contact each other. Aside from that, anything goes.

Lauren embarks on a journey of self-discovery, quickly finding that her friends and family have their own ideas about the meaning of marriage. These influences, as well as her own healing process and the challenges of living apart from Ryan, begin to change Lauren’s ideas about monogamy and marriage. She starts to question: When you can have romance without loyalty and commitment without marriage, when love and lust are no longer tied together, what do you value? What are you willing to fight for?

Review

Rating: 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Writing: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Hero: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Heroine: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

I bought this book as it was on offer with another book I wanted to buy. I hadn't planned on reading it for a while, but I read an excerpt of it on amazon as I was surfing and somehow I related to that excerpt so I started it.

The writing was simplistic and told from the point of view of Lauren throughout the entire book. We get an insight to how she'd met Ryan, to falling in love and what happened after I do. This was such a relatable book and so realistic that I could not stop reading.

The book delves into the relationship of Lauren and Ryan. They've reached a point in their marriage where it is stale, it is not the comfortable stage, it is past that and there's resentment between them but none of the reasons are clear. They're withdrawn from each other and they decide it would be better to stay seperately for a year.

And it takes us on a journey of rediscovering life through Lauren. Lauren did not experience adulthood alone, she has not lived alone, she has not had many experiences by herself because she had to consider Ryan or was with him in whatever she did. She had moved with him at 19 and they did not have the space to grow up.

And like all relationships, open communication is so important.

Lauren stumbled upon Ryan's drafts emails to her, he hadn't changed the passwords and she was finally getting to know the real Ryan. The resentments because they were not able to say these things because they thought they were being kind and doing each other a favour. If only they'd talked, it would have made it easier.

There are lessons in life, love, family throughout the book. It was just so comforting and inspiring. I absolutely loved this book. You realise as you read, there is no way of ensuring love and marriage work. You can have these rough patches. It is life, and everyone has their own way of making their relationships work. There is give and take. There needs to open communication because you cannot read the other's persons mind to know what they're thinking, what they like. Instead of bottling inside, you need to speak about it if you don't want to feel resentment for each other. But if you really want to work it out, make the marriage work, it is up to you. It is hard but you give it your best shot.

I really did want to read Ryan's point of view, I did enjoy reading the flashbacks and the email drafts to understand his thoughts, but I really hoped there was more to him. I wanted to read a detailed journey.

One thing I did dislike was how nearer to the end, they got back together. I felt there needed to be some more work of them working towards coming back together and living together again instead of the chapter of when her grandmother in is the hospital. I know, I know reading the email drafts, they probably discovered a lot about each other through the email drafts but I wanted an honest conversation. Sitting together and baring their hearts out openly. Not just snippets of some conversation of the email drafts. I wished there was an epilogue as I would've loved to read their story maybe from a year on.

However, overall it was such a great read.

You summarized exactly how I felt while I read this book. I started off feeling nahhh I don’t think I’m gonna like this but I did a total complete 180 at the end. Fox and Hannah’s story is worth it. It’s different from Piper and Brendan’s and that is a good thing, believe me. I loved both books!

I love books when they're different from the first in the series. Some authors follow the same pattern and it is boring. So I cannot wait to read Hannah's story. I did love her a tiny little more than Piper and the tension between Fox and Hannah was just so ufff... I am going to start it once I finish reading my current read.

Edited by Queen0fDarkness - 1 years ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Narrative Ninjas

Originally posted by: Queen0fDarkness

I love books when they're different from the first in the series. Some authors follow the same pattern and it is boring. So I cannot wait to read Hannah's story. I did love her a tiny little more then Piper and the tension between Fox and Hannah was just so ufff... I am going to start it once I finish reading my current read.

Yep I was thankful Tessa did not repeat the same formula. I also thought Fox and Hannah were more complex and layered than Piper and Brendan who seem almost one-dimensional in comparison. Don’t get me wrong - I love P and B and their simplicity and straightforwardness but I also adore F & H’s twisted thinking because it was more relatable for me. F & H’s journey therefore is more complex (imo) and it feels more earned (again imo).
Edited by LizzieBennet - 1 years ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Narrative Ninjas

Book Title: Partners in Crime

Author: Alisha Rai

Year Published: 2022

Genre: Contemporary M/F Romance, Crime thriller

Trope/s: Second chance romance, Forced proximity, Fish out of water? (For Naveen), Fake dating (to an extent)

Probably triggers: Child neglect? Child persecution/ forced labour?

Maturity Rating: Adult

Personal Rating: 2.5

Synopsis: Amira Patel has been a disappointment to everyone around her- from her latest hook-up to her powerhouse matchmaker, whose perfect average for successful jodis she has single-handedly managed to destroy having turned down a dozen matches and being turned down by the last one. She's only ever regretted one, and is convinced her nefarious past will always come in the way of her finding her perfect match.

Naveen Desai is trying to get his life back on track by fixing his grandfather's law firm after facing heartbreak twice, being in rehab and trying to navigate his complicated familial relationships. He couldn't have dreamt that his staid existence would be shaken up when he's visited by an ex-flame, one who he's never completely gotten over, in connection with her aunt's legacy.

As they're both sucked into a mad adventure filled with road trips, strip clubs, gun-toting gangsters, storage chests, diamonds and illegal poker games, and more and more about Amira's colorful past is revealed, Naveen begins to question if ever knew this woman he'd once dated. And Amira, who had despaired of ever finding that perfect someone who would understand her, might just be convinced he's been with her every step of the way along this life-threatening but madcap adventure.

Review: I saw a tweet that said this book had been picked up by Mindy Kaling to be made into a movie (I haven't found a source to confirm this) and they were fancasting Dev Patel and Simone Ashley for the roles of Amira and Naveen. I've been wanting to read more PoC and especially Indian authors with Indian MCs and I can say the blurb intrigued me enough to pick this one up. Then the first page had this image of Naveen, and I was further sucked in! 😆

Unfortunately, it was rather a damp squib. I think the author packed in too much into this one. It was less romance and more thriller in the end and perhaps my disappointment stemmed from that, because I went all in thinking it would be a romance. Not that I mind romantic thrillers - I love them. But the characters here come off as so one-dimensional. There are random facts thrown in about them and nothing comes of it, and at other times when they're in a tight spot, some major trait is revealed that helps pull them out of it. It almost seems like a deus-ex-machina. And I would be able to overlook it if it happened once or twice but it was sprinkled all across the book that it became exhausting. This was entirely plot-driven and the plot itself had too many loopholes. I think the author wanted to shock and awe with the final reveal and she may just have done that if the build-up had been half as riveting. I wanted to like Naveen and Amira and root for their HEA but they weren't developed enough for me to do that. We hear about their backstories (more Amira's since the plot is intricately woven around it) but they're not fleshed out enough. In the end, I just couldn't warm to Amira. I liked Naveen more. I wish there had been more heart-to-heart talks, I wish I was more convinced why Amira walked away from Naveen in the first place, I wish I understood why Naveen had to go into rehab, I wish I knew what attracted them to each other (besides the physical aspect), I wish for so many things that could have made this better for me. And the steamy scenes were yuck 🤢, not well- written at all. I couldn’t even buy into their attraction. It was too much plot and not enough character/ description.

In the end, the only thing that allowed me to finish it was imagining a bearded Dev Patel as Naveen 😆. Simone as Amira did not work because they just don't match physically. If they ever make a movie, I do hope Dev is in it. I might just watch it. 😳

Edited by LizzieBennet - 1 years ago
EuphoricDamsel thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Romcom Reigners

Such a fun review this is to read!!! 😆❤️

Loved it. Also thanks for reading so we don't have to. 🤪🤣

Book Title: Partners in Crime

Author: Alisha Rai

Reading the sypnosis and your review reminded me a little of Rock Chick by Kristen Ashley. The packing too much into one, less romance, but more thriller and action. This is how Rock Chick is. It is labelled romantic comedy, but there was little romance and more action/thriller.

I don't think, this is one I'd want to read. I love that they'd written on POC but I wish there were some excellently written, substancially fleshed out stories on POCs. I have read a couple, especially interracial and different cultures and I looked forward to it because my family is an interracial blend so I love discovering and seeing how others portray romances with POCs and I don't think they do it justice or represent them admirably enough. Well, I haven't found one yet.

I have read fictions on POCs and some of them have been excellent. But they were not on romances. My last one was the Beekeeper of Aleppo. That book was just so amazingly written. It was written on such a disconcerting topic but I couldn't stop reading when I started it.