Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Srijeeta06 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by: HereAsMyself

You're correct when you say that things like having to win a contest should not take away from the joy of participating. The same applies to the number of views our work receives, too. I've seen many good writers on the other sites give up because they felt their work wasn't viewed enough. I found it very sad, both for the writer and for the people who followed the work. I personally would keep writing even if my work had only one reader!

I like the idea of a short poem on Netaji, especially since I've been reading a lot of books about him lately and about certain parts of our freedom struggle in general. Even if I don't really participate, I'll use this as a prompt (thank you for the idea: it never occurred to me we could do this😆). But I do hope I'll be able to take out the time: I'm hopelessly behind on my current fic and I have your prompt to work on as well!

Tagging you because the post I replied to has disappeared

edited by DT

@bold

Which all books have you been reading?

Because most of the books about him that I found are in Bengali language.

Off late I am able to get a few with English translations

Manavi_kesari thumbnail
IPL 2024 Participants 3 Thumbnail IPL 2023 Participants 3 Thumbnail + 5

Nice thread , salute to Subhash Chandra Bose

Srijeeta06 thumbnail

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

We are honouring an Indian freedom fighter, and it has been 75 years since Independence gave us the opportunity to protect and promote our unique Indian heritage and diversity.

Even now, on this occasion, we submit to the hegemony of the colonial language because it is the only one in which all of us can communicate with each other. Even for this purpose.

I take this observation as an inspiration that we can all work harder to show our gratitude for those like Netaji who preserved our opportunity to appreciate, apply, and expand Indian languages.

I was born in Canada and I never received an education in any Indian language, but I hope my effort to write something in Saṃskṛta will be carried forward by those who are better qualified.

@ shouldn’t we all be proud of the fact that inspite of being from completely different regions, completely different language speaking states, we all bind as one and come together to celebrate something that matters so much to all of us?

HereAsMyself thumbnail
Micro Phobia Contest Participant 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Srijeeta06

@bold

Which all books have you been reading?

Because most of the books about him that I found are in Bengali language.

Off late I am able to get a few with English translations

I'm currently reading Brothers Against the Raj: A Biography of Subhash and Sarat Chandra Bose by Leonard A. Gordon and The War-Diary of Asha-San by Lt-Colonel Bharati Sahay Choudhury, who was in the Rani of Jhansi regiment of the INA.

A few other suggestions:

His Majesty's Opponent by Sugata Bose

Nehru and Bose: Parallel Lives by Rudrangshu Mukherjee

India's Biggest Cover-Up by Anuj Dhar

Conundrum by Anuj Dhar and Chandrachur Ghose (this is one of my personal favourites)

The Springing Tiger by Hugh Troy (I've seen this book frequently mentioned, but I haven't read it personally and don't know how good or how unbiased it is)

The books by Anuj Dhar make a very convincing case for the argument that Netaji never died in the plane crash; Conundrum also details how he might have lived after 1945.

I know you're looking for English books, but I'll leave the names of a few Bengali ones here just in case you can find translations or in case anyone else wants to read them:

Ami Subhash Bolchhi by Shailen Dey (another personal favourite and one of the best works of non-fiction I've ever read. It goes into great detail about the armed freedom movement in India and you'll come across a lot of names that aren't there in history books. If it were up to me, I'd have it translated and made mandatory reading. Seriously, probably sounds like hyperbole, but if anybody who's read it will know why)

Ami Netajike Dekhechhi by Narayan Sanyal

Taruner Swapna by Netaji himself

Udyato Kharga by Achintyakumar Sengupta (some Bengali words spelled in English often make zero sense; the title would translate into The Brandished Sword. Thanks to BrhannadaArmour for the suggestion!)

If you're looking to read something by Netaji himself, try Indian Pilgrim (though I'm yet to read it myself). Netaji for You Satyam Roychowdhury is a collection of letter and articles by Netaji that I found quite nice.

There are also a number of books by INA personnel and people who worked with Netaji in India and abroad. I came across excerpts from some of them while reading the books above. If I come across them again, or if I can find any other books, I'll keep updating this list.

Happy Reading!

Edited by HereAsMyself - 1 years ago
1215019 thumbnail

@ shouldn’t we all be proud of the fact that inspite of being from completely different regions, completely different language speaking states, we all bind as one and come together to celebrate something that matters so much to all of us?

It is passive of us to come together and celebrate through English simply because it is the language that dominates the globe and we all accept the status quo.

Efforts to promote writing and poetic expression in multiple Indian languages on India Forums would be a more active demonstration of pride in our diversity and independence.

Udyato Kharga by Achintyakumar Sengupta (some Bengali words spelled in English often make zero sense; the title would translate into The Raised Sceptre)

I would translate udyataḥ khaḍgaḥ as The Brandished Sword.

HereAsMyself thumbnail

It is passive of us to come together and celebrate through English simply because it is the language that dominates the globe and we all accept the status quo.

Efforts to promote writing and poetic expression in multiple Indian languages on India Forums would be a more active demonstration of pride in our diversity and independence.

That's much better. I'll change it.

Srijeeta06 thumbnail

I'm currently reading Brothers Against the Raj: A Biography of Subhash and Sarat Chandra Bose by Leonard A. Gordon and The War-Diary of Asha-San by Lt-Colonel Bharati Sahay Choudhury, who was in the Rani of Jhansi regiment of the INA.

A few other suggestions:

His Majesty's Opponent by Sugata Bose - this I have read

Nehru and Bose: Parallel Lives by Rudrangshu Mukherjee - this is one of my personal favourites and sort of gives a valid perspective on the always ongoing debate that Nehru harmed Subash

India's Biggest Cover-Up by Anuj Dhar - this I have read

Conundrum by Anuj Dhar and Chandrachur Ghose (this is one of my personal favourites) - this I am yet to read

The Springing Tiger by Hugh Troy (I've seen this book frequently mentioned, but I haven't read it personally and don't know how good or how unbiased it is) - I heard of it the first time

The books by Anuj Dhar make a very convincing case for the argument that Netaji never died in the plane crash; Conundrum also details how he might have lived after 1945. - yes, there are many references of it.

I have read some of the excerpts in other places.

I know you're looking for English books, but I'll leave the names of a few Bengali ones here just in case you can find translations or in case anyone else wants to read them:

Ami Subhash Bolchhi by Shailen Dey (another personal favourite and one of the best works of non-fiction I've ever read. It goes into great detail about the armed freedom movement in India and you'll come across a lot of names that aren't there in history books. If it were up to me, I'd have it translated and made mandatory reading. Seriously, probably sounds like hyperbole, but if anybody who's read it will know why)

Ami Netajike Dekhechhi by Narayan Sanyal

Taruner Swapna by Netaji himself

Udyato Kharga by Achintyakumar Sengupta (some Bengali words spelled in English often make zero sense; the title would translate into The Brandished Sword. Thanks to BrhannadaArmour for the suggestion!)

If you're looking to read something by Netaji himself, try Indian Pilgrim (though I'm yet to read it myself). Netaji for You Satyam Roychowdhury is a collection of letter and articles by Netaji that I found quite nice.

There are also a number of books by INA personnel and people who worked with Netaji in India and abroad. I came across excerpts from some of them while reading the books above. If I come across them again, or if I can find any other books, I'll keep updating this list.

Happy Reading!

@green are the replies.

I am not exactly looking for English ones.

I can read bengali but the only issue is I am not extremely well versed in reading the language a book is written in.

So if they are extremely difficult to read like Pather Panchali etc..

I prefer reading English over it.

But if they are at moderate difficulty level I will definitely read them.

HereAsMyself thumbnail

It's a nice idea, but how do you propose we do this?

I, for example, could write in Bengali; you, in Sanskrit. But neither of us would be able to read each other's work.

[Sorry, I accidentally did away with actually quoting the post]

Srijeeta06 thumbnail

@bold

Let’s agree to disagree.

Yes English is a globally dominant language.

But having said that, India is a country which has 22 official languages recognised as per Constitution.

There isn’t a National language defined.

Hence, there is a less possibility of knowing a common language by all.

Because for eg:- Sanskrit is based on Devnagri script.

But the languages spoken in south on Dravidian script.

So to identify a language which will be common and comfortable for all will be a difficult task I think

HereAsMyself thumbnail

@green are the replies.

I am not exactly looking for English ones.

I can read bengali but the only issue is I am not extremely well versed in reading the language a book is written in.

So if they are extremely difficult to read like Pather Panchali etc..

I prefer reading English over it.

But if they are at moderate difficulty level I will definitely read them.

If so, I'd recommend you read Ami Subhash Bolchhi. It's written in colloquial Bengali and is very easy to read. I first read it when I was in the eighth grade and had no issues at all. In fact, I found it difficult to stop reading the book. It made history come alive.

I, too really liked Nehru and Bose . I read it side by side with a biography of Nehru and it gave me a really different perspective on the man who'd go on to become our first PM.