Posted: 1 years ago

"Your most obedient servant" - 🤣

Quantum-Dot thumbnail

Netaji meeting Hitler :

1215019 thumbnail

Originally posted by: la_Reine

Preferably English. If you are doing Hindi, then add English translation in brackets.

We are honouring an Indian freedom fighter, and it has been 75 years since Independence gave us the opportunity to protect and promote our unique Indian heritage and diversity.

Even now, on this occasion, we submit to the hegemony of the colonial language because it is the only one in which all of us can communicate with each other. Even for this purpose.

I take this observation as an inspiration that we can all work harder to show our gratitude for those like Netaji who preserved our opportunity to appreciate, apply, and expand Indian languages.

I was born in Canada and I never received an education in any Indian language, but I hope my effort to write something in Saṃskṛta will be carried forward by those who are better qualified.

HereAsMyself thumbnail
Micro Phobia Contest Participant 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

We are honouring an Indian freedom fighter, and it has been 75 years since Independence gave us the opportunity to protect and promote our unique Indian heritage and diversity.

Even now, on this occasion, we submit to the hegemony of the colonial language because it is the only one in which all of us can communicate with each other. Even for this purpose.

I take this observation as an inspiration that we can all work harder to show our gratitude for those like Netaji who preserved our opportunity to appreciate, apply, and expand Indian languages.

I was born in Canada and I never received an education in any Indian language, but I hope my effort to write something in Saṃskṛta will be carried forward by those who are better qualified.

Jumping in to ask: how did you learn Sanskrit, then? I would like to learn Sanskrit, too, but I don't know how to go about it.

1215019 thumbnail

Originally posted by: HereAsMyself

Jumping in to ask: how did you learn Sanskrit, then? I would like to learn Sanskrit, too, but I don't know how to go about it.

Of course you should take a proper class if you can find one. The Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute has a textbook that is meant to allow adults to teach themselves Saṃskṛta, but one needs a teacher to clear up doubts, right?

As a child, I spent a lot of long hours surrounded by Saṃskṛta books, some of which fortunately had phonetic transliteration and English translation. If I hadn't taught myself to read whatever was available, I would have been very bored. Now I'm able to read Saṃskṛta poetry and stories (I made it through all 22,000 verses of Kathāsaritsāgara), but my knowledge of grammar is almost zero.

Back to the topic, as your Fan Fiction Follower, I hope you'll participate in the poetry contest!

HereAsMyself thumbnail

Of course you should take a proper class if you can find one. The Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute has a textbook that is meant to allow adults to teach themselves Saṃskṛta, but one needs a teacher to clear up doubts, right?

As a child, I spent a lot of long hours surrounded by Saṃskṛta books, some of which fortunately had phonetic transliteration and English translation. If I hadn't taught myself to read whatever was available, I would have been very bored. Now I'm able to read Saṃskṛta poetry and stories (I made it through all 22,000 verses of Kathāsaritsāgara), but my knowledge of grammar is almost zero.

Back to the topic, as your Fan Fiction Follower, I hope you'll participate in the poetry contest!

That is very commendable! No one would believe you aren't formally trained in Sanskrit if you didn't said so yourself. I think I'll have to begin teaching myself, too, and get a proper class when I can find one😆

I saw the details of the contest just now, but I don't think I'll be able to participate: I'm a groupie. Thank you for your interest, though, and let's hope there are other contests in the near future where we can both participate.

Looking forward to reading your entries here ❤️

HereAsMyself thumbnail

You're correct when you say that things like having to win a contest should not take away from the joy of participating. The same applies to the number of views our work receives, too. I've seen many good writers on the other sites give up because they felt their work wasn't viewed enough. I found it very sad, both for the writer and for the people who followed the work. I personally would keep writing even if my work had only one reader!

I like the idea of a short poem on Netaji, especially since I've been reading a lot of books about him lately and about certain parts of our freedom struggle in general. Even if I don't really participate, I'll use this as a prompt (thank you for the idea: it never occurred to me we could do this😆). But I do hope I'll be able to take out the time: I'm hopelessly behind on my current fic and I have your prompt to work on as well!

Tagging you because the post I replied to has disappeared

edited by DT

Edited by Leprechaun - 1 years ago
Quantum-Dot thumbnail

Tagging my MBK participants to participate in this poem contest on our true hero, Netaji.

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

"Your most obedient servant" - 🤣

sarcasm is dripping in that remark. Similar to Savarkar's letter when he asked relief from Kalapani jail. Unfortunately people read it as his submission to the British when it was a carefully crafted strategy, you can only do so much within the jail. Once out, the world is yours to win.