Game: Find the Mālinī verse in this passage!

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

To win this game, you have to read the following passage from Mahābhārata, in which Arjuna vows to kill Jayadratha, and send me a PM by 11:59 PM IST on Friday, November 4, 2022, with the correct answer to my question.

Question: Which verse in this passage is in the poetic metre called Mālinī?

Bonus Question: Which is the only other non-Śloka (non-Anuṣṭubh) verse in this passage? Can you name its poetic metre?

The syllabic definition of Mālinī (and that of Śloka Anuṣṭubh) can be found in the Metres of Saṃskṛta Poetry topic in the Saṃskṛta Text Discussion Forum. Any member of India Forums can auto-join this private forum.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/162032894

Ready? Set? Go!

On the thirteenth night of war, Arjuna swears a long pratijñā (twenty verses) to slay Jayadratha before sunset (Droṇaparvan 51.20-39).

satyaṃ vaḥ pratijānāmi śvo'smi hantā Jayadratham

na ced vadha-bhayād bhīto Dhārtarāṣṭrān prahāsyati

I swear to you truly, tomorrow I'll kill Jayadratha unless he, afraid with fear of being slain, abandons Dhṛtarāṣṭra's sons.

na c'āsmāñ śaraṇaṃ gacchet Kṛṣṇaṃ vā puruṣ'ottamam

bhavantaṃ vā mahārāja! śvo'smi hantā Jayadratham

And if he doesn't take refuge with us, or with Kṛṣṇa the supreme being, or with you, great King! tomorrow, I'll kill Jayadratha.

Dhārtarāṣṭra-priyakaraṃ mayi vismṛta-sauhṛdam

pāpaṃ bāla-vadhe hetuṃ śvo'smi hantā Jayadratham

He does what Dhṛtarāṣṭra's sons want, and has forgotten goodwill to me, that wicked cause of a child's death - tomorrow, I'll kill Jayadratha.

rakṣamāṇāś ca taṃ saṃkhye ye māṃ yotsyanti ke cana

api Droṇa-Kṛpau vīrau chādayiṣyāmi tāñ śaraiḥ

Whoever protects him in battle and fights with me, whoever they may be, even the valiant Droṇa and Kṛpa, I'll cover them with arrows.

yady etad evaṃ saṃgrāme na kuryāṃ puruṣa-rṣabhāḥ

mā sma puṇyakṛtāṃ lokān prāpnuyāṃ śūra-saṃmatān

If I don't do this just so in the war, bulls among people! may I truly not reach the rebirths of those who do well, approved by the brave.

ye lokā mātṛ-hantṝṇāṃ ye c'āpi pitṛ-ghātinām

guru-dāra-gāmināṃ ye ca piśunānāṃ ca ye tathā

sādhūn asūyatāṃ ye ca ye c'āpi parivādinām

ye ca nikṣepa-hartṝṇāṃ ye ca viśvāsa-ghātinām

bhukta-pūrvāṃ striyaṃ ye ca nindatām agha-śaṃsinām

brahmaghnānāṃ ca ye lokā ye ca goghātinām api

pāyasaṃ vā yav'ānnaṃ vā śākaṃ kṛsaram eva vā

saṃyāv'āpūpa-māṃsāni ye ca lokā vṛthā'śnatām

tān ahn'aiv'ādhigaccheyaṃ na ced dhanyāṃ Jayadratham

The rebirths of those who kill their mothers, and of those who murder their fathers, of those who consort with elders' wives, and also of those who are disloyal, of those who envy decent people and of those who slander, of those who steal deposits, of those who betray trust, of those who first enjoy a woman and then censure her by revealing sin, the rebirths of those who kill brāhmaṇas, and of those who kill cows, of those who eat milk-pudding, barley-grains, leafy vegetables, or even gruel, cakes, dumplings, and meats without consecration - may I proceed there within a day if I don't kill Jayadratha!

ved'ādhyāyinam atyarthaṃ saṃśitaṃ vā dvij'ottamam

avamanyamāno yān yāti vṛddhān sādhūṃs tathā gurūn

And where one goes by disrespecting a Veda-student, or an extraordinarily disciplined, excellent twice-born brāhmaṇa, or old people, decent people, and elders.

spṛśatāṃ brāhmaṇaṃ gāṃ ca pāden'āgniṃ ca yāṃ labhet

yā'psu śleṣma purīṣaṃ vā mūtraṃ vā muñcatāṃ gatiḥ

tāṃ gaccheyaṃ gatiṃ ghorāṃ na ced dhanyāṃ Jayadratham

The fate that they may attain who touch a brāhmaṇa, a cow, or fire with the foot, or who discharge mucus or feces or urine into water - may I go to that terrible fate if I don't kill Jayadratha!

nagnasya snāyamānasya yā ca vandhy'ātither gatiḥ

utkocināṃ mṛṣo'ktīnāṃ vañcakānāṃ ca yā gatiḥ

ātm'āpahāriṇāṃ yā ca yā ca mithyā'bhiśaṃsinām

bhṛtyaiḥ saṃdṛśyamānānāṃ putra-dār'āśritais tathā

asaṃvibhajya kṣudrāṇāṃ yā gatir mṛṣṭam aśnatām

tāṃ gaccheyaṃ gatiṃ ghorāṃ na ced dhanyāṃ Jayadratham

The fate of one who is naked while bathing, of one whose guest is frustrated, the fate of those bribed, of those whose speeches deceive, of those who cheat, of those who misrepresent themselves, of those who falsely advertise, also of those who are fully visible to their dependents to whom their children and wives resort, the fate of those who eat pure food without sharing with the poor - may I go to that terrible fate if I don't kill Jayadratha!

saṃśritaṃ vā'pi yas tyaktvā sādhuṃ tadvacane ratam

na bibharti nṛśaṃs'ātmā nindate c'opakāriṇam

arhate prātiveśyāya śrāddhaṃ yo na dadāti ca

anarhate ca yo dadyād vṛṣalī-patyur eva ca

madyapo bhinna-maryādaḥ kṛtaghno bhrātṛ-nindakaḥ

teṣāṃ gatim iyāṃ kṣipraṃ na ced dhanyāṃ Jayadratham

Or even the cruel-natured one who abandons his follower, a decent person satisfied with his orders, doesn't maintain him, and censures his benefactor, and the one who doesn't give śrāddha to a neighbour as he should, and the one who may give it where he shouldn't, even for a disreputable woman's husband, the drunkard who crosses limits, the ungrateful brother-censurer - may I go to their fates promptly if I don't kill Jayadratha!

dharmād apetā ye c'ānye mayā n'ātr'ānukīrtitāḥ

ye c'ānukīrtitāḥ kṣipraṃ teṣāṃ gatim avāpnuyām

yadi vyuṣṭām imāṃ rātriṃ śvo na hanyāṃ Jayadratham

Any others who stray from dharma, but weren't mentioned by me here, and those that I mentioned - may I promptly reach their fate if this night reaches daybreak and tomorrow I don't kill Jayadratha!

imāṃ c'āpy aparāṃ bhūyaḥ pratijñāṃ me nibodhata

yady asminn ahate pāpe sūryo'stam upayāsyati

ih'aiva saṃpraveṣṭā'haṃ jvalitaṃ jāta-vedasam

Also, listen again to this other vow from me: if the sun sets while this wicked one isn't killed, right here I shall enter a burning fire, whose property is whatever is born.

asura-sura-manuṣyāḥ pakṣiṇo v'oragā vā

pitṛ-rajanicarā vā brahma-devarṣayo vā

caram acaram ap'īdaṃ yat paraṃ c'āpi tasmāt

tad api mama ripuṃ taṃ rakṣituṃ n'aiva śaktāḥ

Asuras, Suras, and humans, or winged ones, or snakes, or forefathers and night-roamers, or brāhmaṇa sages and divine sages, even this animate and inanimate world, and even what is beyond it, even they are surely unable to protect that enemy of mine.

yadi viśati rasātalaṃ tad agryaṃ

viyad api devapuraṃ diteḥ puraṃ vā

tad api śara-śatair ahaṃ prabhāte

bhṛśam abhipatya ripoḥ śiro'bhihartā

Whether he enters that finest underworld-base or the sky, even a divine city or Diti's city, even then, in the morning, I will attack forcefully with hundreds of arrows and snatch off my enemy's head.

This speech is remarkable for its attention to dharma. Arjuna begins his pratijñā with allowances for Jayadratha to remain alive. Jayadratha could simply back out from the war (as he promptly tries to do). Arjuna is willing to pardon Jayadratha if he asks, or even if either Kṛṣṇa or Yudhiṣṭhira is honour-bound to protect him from Arjuna. Arjuna is very brief about his reasons to kill Jayadratha, and we have to guess what he means. In contrast with that brevity, Arjuna lists all kinds of traitors and ingrates who fail to observe dharma with their benefactors, and wishes their penalty upon himself if he fails to kill Jayadratha. Notably, Arjuna never says that he deserves the penalty if he fails to avenge Abhimanyu. Instead, the implication of his speech seems to be that Jayadratha is guilty of treachery and ingratitude to Arjuna, and if Arjuna leaves Jayadratha unpunished, Arjuna will incur Jayadratha's sin.

The first accusation, Dhārtarāṣṭra-priyakaraṃ - Jayadratha does what Dhṛtarāṣṭra's sons want, could apply to everyone on the other side, including Droṇa and Kṛpa who had helped to kill Abhimanyu. It only deserves mention if Jayadratha was wrong to side with his wife's brothers. Perhaps Jayadratha, having been released from slavery by Yudhiṣṭhira after an offense that deserved the death penalty even if he begged for mercy (Āraṇyakaparvan 255.46), shouldn't have been fighting against the Pāṇḍavas at all. However, when the Pāṇḍavas themselves had been released from slavery by Dhṛtarāṣṭra, and Duryodhana with his brothers, Śakuni, and Karṇa had been released from slavery to the Gandharvas, does it make sense to single out Jayadratha as an ingrate? Refusing to accept defeat and returning to fight another day wasn't unethical; it was an ideal of kṣatriya dharma. Nevertheless, the second accusation, mayi vismṛta-sauhṛdam - he has forgotten goodwill to me, implies that Arjuna expected gratitude from Jayadratha, whose life he had saved when Bhīma was beating him. Unlike the other enslaved enemies, Jayadratha owed his life, not just his freedom, to the man whose son he trapped. That could explain why Arjuna didn't vow to slay Dauḥśāsani, who had slain Abhimanyu, or Droṇa, Aśvatthāman, Kṛpa, Karṇa, and Kṛtavarman, who had joined Bṛhadbala to fight Abhimanyu six-on-one, but Arjuna decided that Jayadratha should not live another day. The third accusation, pāpaṃ bāla-vadhe hetuṃ - wicked cause of a child's death, wasn't about Jayadratha's exact role in the scheme to trap Abhimanyu. What Jayadratha did was wicked because he was the one participant who should have spared Arjuna's child.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

In addition to the definition of Mālinī metre with one example in the post linked above, I will be sharing other examples to help players recognize the rhythm, like this one:

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/162043059

One more example of Mālinī verse:

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/162063257

We have a few players already, but we can have any number of winners!

Everyone is welcome to learn the definition of Mālinī and find the example in Arjuna's speech above.

Players, you have one day left, until 11:59 PM IST on Friday, November 4, 2022, to send me your answer by PM.

One final example of Mālinī verse to inspire you:

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/162069884

HereAsMyself thumbnail
Micro Phobia Contest Participant 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

Players, you have one day left, until 11:59 PM IST on Friday, November 4, 2022, to send me your answer by PM.

Will do it tomorrow. Been running to catch up with life for the last few days 😂

missFiesty_69 thumbnail
Jimmy Jab Games Season 5 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 7

It's saying unauthorized access 🤔

Originally posted by: missFiesty_69

It's saying unauthorized access 🤔

If you join the Private Forum, Saṃskṛta Text Discussion, the link to the Metres of Saṃskṛta Poetry topic should work.

missFiesty_69 thumbnail
Jimmy Jab Games Season 5 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 7

If you join the Private Forum, Saṃskṛta Text Discussion, the link to the Metres of Saṃskṛta Poetry topic should work.

Oh oh. Wouldn't know much about Sanskrit let alone discuss, forgive my ignorance 😅

I have joined the forum though. I'll try answering the question. 

Originally posted by: missFiesty_69

Oh oh. Wouldn't know much about Sanskrit let alone discuss, forgive my ignorance 😅

I have joined the forum though. I'll try answering the question. 

Anyone who is interested may join the forum, and even asking questions is valuable discussion. Knowledge is not a prerequisite, but I hope it will be a benefit of joining the forum.

I am looking forward to everyone finding the answer.

wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

I can pretty much just understand basic Sanskrit and infer the rest from context...defo still not good enough to recognize rhythms and patterns! 😳