Nisha0604 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Quill

Missing chapters

Taruni Bhushan reviewed the inventory of Science text books for Class IX, there was a new CBSE publication and the first lot was damaged. She had no idea how to get a hold of the agent that connected with publisher Arihant.

Rajesh Bhushan had died suddenly 3 months ago the book store was shut down indefinitely. Her mother now lived with her oldest brother Tushar and his wife Pallavi. Her middle brother Gaurav and Aparna lived in Hyderabad and his wife and her mother did not actually get along

The brothers had a lot of friction and ego clashes as well

The passing of Rajesh Bhushan had highlighted the fissures openly. Both brothers were united in wanting the store sold and money divided

The father actually did not have any will… well he didn’t plan to be gone at 62. Mother Nidhi was in the last year of her employment at a government excise office.

She had expressed to Taruni that she did not want to sell the store. Taruni was well on her way to enroll at the University of Michigan for her M.S in Mechanical. Dad had passed two weeks before she was heading out, end of July.

She didn’t have a choice, she pushed her admission out to spring, and made two trips to the store. Her father employed three people, a stockist, a customer service guy and an accountant. All three had to be temporarily terminated since no one had plans to reopen

It took Taruni a couple months to get over her grief of being unable to go overseas. She spent her nights crying and texting friends

She had been a little selfish growing up, enjoying the privilege of being the only girl child

Her father had chosen to send her to Singapore for undergrad at Nanyang instead of sending her brother to his Masters.

Well… now she was unemployed, out of school and standing in a musty dark bookstore in the heart of Chandigarh. The bookstore was the last and only establishment in a posh remodeled high rise that was not a boutique or a salon.

She picked up the phone and called the stockist Mr. Harkeerat Singh

“Uncle, main Taruni”

“Haan beta”

“Umm.. I am in Papa’s store”

“Arey..”

“Umm.. CBSE Math text books mein 78 se 116 taq pages double print hai ya missing hai”

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ereader thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Waiting eagerly nisha......

Sudha1012 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Eagerly waiting for next chapter

sonalgupta2004 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3

Congratulations Nisha

Waiting for this one also

Like others

ishruhi thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Soooo glad u started the next one🥰🥰🥰🥰

coderlady thumbnail

Another story has sprouted. That was quick.

coderlady thumbnail

Will Taruni forego her overseas education ambitions and take charge of the store?

Nisha0604 thumbnail

I am tired of female leads being dutiful and selfless. I created a selfish one here.

coderlady thumbnail

That is fine with me. Our girl does not need to be perfect.

Nisha0604 thumbnail

Dreams on hold

“Aap shop khol rahe ho puttar?”

“Umm.. I am thinking about it, aaj second time aayi main”

“Videsh nahi ja rahe? Daddy to vadde khush the”

“Uh… hmmm” she hesitated trying to hide her disappointment

She had tried not to think about it

She would have been in Ann Arbor now hanging with friends and grabbing Starbucks

Here she was in her Dad’s bookstore trying to make sense of this whole thing

“Vaqeel hai puttar?” Harkeerat asked gently

“Jee”

“Dukaan kiske naam kar gaye Papa?”

“Abhi pata nahi”

The whole thing was really messy. There was no mistress or anything, but for whatever reason her Dad hadn’t added her name to his bank accounts, he was just bank rolling her Singapore undergrad. Gaurav wanted to study abroad and got denied because she had decided to pursue Masters

Her Dadi favored boys and Taruni suspected leaving her out of the bank account might have had something to do with it

Now with Rajesh gone, Dadi still alive, Nidhi working in the state excise department with not much clue about where her money was invested

Everyone was in a limbo

The first thing Gaurav had asked Nidhi was “Main abhi bhi GMAT ka score increase kar raha hoon I want to go to the US Ma, aap Papa ke finances check kar lo” he had murmured

Taruni was irritated

She already had a admission

Her deal was sealed and locked, how dare he insert himself

“Sab jaoge?” Nidhi asked in between sniffles

“Ha Ma F1 pe jaaoonga Aparna US ko love karti hai we will settle”

“MBA mein to Rs.70-80 lakh lag jaayega”

“Zyaada” he mumbled

“KITNA zyaada?”

“Umm.. sava crore, dedh crore (1.5 crores)

Taru ka bhi admission hua hai, I don’t know beta”

“Ma aap Taru ki shaddi kar do”

She had been listening as she was getting ready to go out to meet her BF Shiv Chandel for dinner

She went into her mother’s bedroom and glared at her brother

“Tujhe kya hua hai?”

“I am going for my M.S. dude… jo bhi hai” “I mean Papa already told me”

“TUJHE Singapore mein undergrad karna tha Papa ne mujhe nahi bheja US”

“Tujhe mili hui thi admission?”

“Tere se zyaada intelligent hoon”

“Ur wife will admire it… not me” she shrugged

“Ma… Papa ne isko spoil kara hua hai”

“Oh pleez”

“Gaurav… Tarooo” Nidhi growled

“Ma… I already have a promise I am going”

“Enrollment, move in date, August mein hai, kab jaayegi?” he mocked

He then laughed

“Laugh all u want I am going in Spring”

“Kaise jaayegi”

“U have two kids and a job… why do u need an MBA”

“U are not even married… hai na BF jiske saath soti hai, he will marry u na”

None of ur business”

“Gaurav… DADI sun lengi”

“Maa yeh sab kuch kar chuki hai”

Gaurav was losing his s---

Taruni stared at him long and hard… and left the room

She wanted to yell and scream

Goingt o the US was HER dream, Aparna Gaurav’s wife must have put him up to this sham

He had two girls, Latika and Poorna 11 months apart, Dadi was constantly needling Aparna so she took it all out on Nidhi

Dadi actually loved Latika and poorna more than she loved Tushar & Pallavi’s boys, Sahil and Aseem

But Gaurav was Dadi’s favorite and he had married Aparna… love marriage, he didn’t marry Dadi’s best friend from Satsang’s grand daughter , and that friend stopped talking to Dadi now, and Aparna had earned Dadi’s wrath instantaneously

Taruni made chai for herself in the large airy kitchen

The home was ancestral, but Rajesh owed a share to his 3 brothers and 2 sisters.

Even to the ones that lived overseas and had a s--- ton of money

She stirred the pot wondering how she could get her hands on Rs. 40ish lakhs so she could pay the first year fee for M.S.

She was going to apply for Grad Assistantship, it was a done deal for Fall but pushing out one semester was disastrous

She hated a mother for a minute, for not knowing WHERE her 35 year savings were.

Shiv wanted to marry her he wanted her to get her MBA from IIM or something

But she used him for pleasure and told him she probably didn’t see herself marrying him. S—was good… and with no strings attached Taruni didn’t feel obligated to pretend

She went through her phone

Rajesh Bhushan’s book store pictures….

Half and half… half stationery school supplies, half novels rare books and periodicals

He was a crazy man who firmly believed neighborhood bookstores were going to make a resurgence

She was a year and a half younger than Gaurav at 27, but didn’t have much savings, she lived for 3 years in Singapore after undergrad worked for around 2 years and spent the rest traveling SE Asia

She loved her parents, she even took them on a 4 country tour

She had less than 5 lakhs in her bank

She turned off the tea, drove to Shiv’s and waited for him to return from work, and made out

“Jaake dekh shop ko” he had told her

Hence the two visits….