Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

1003197 thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Easy way to put people in the jail.. Girl should take advantage of it especially of there is law against it..

CrimeMasterToto thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Almirah

We are not on the same page. You are talking theory. I am talking practical.

You say this is this ..this is that

I say this is what happens

You say this is punishable

I say what punishment when the cops are dancing at the same wedding

Fair enough

I will say this. Dowry is a bullshit tradition and a kalank, and all those still practicing it, especially the ones in middle, upper middle and upper class are just greedy douchebags.

Putting all this burden on the bride's family and eventually on the bride in the name of tradition is just pathetic.

Originally posted by: Wistfulness

Close to 7000 dowry deaths occurred in 2020 alone. It's nothing but a social evil driven chiefly by greed and misogyny that dehumanizes the girl and her family. It's a form of glorified begging.

Btw, mention dowry evils on SM platforms and hundreds of triggered MCPs will jump in with ridiculously laughable equivalences like alimony and salary packages. šŸ˜†

Its is the root of so many other serious social problems that we have in our country - domestic violence, female infanticide, etc. Anyone educated person/family asking for dowry is nothing but a glorified gold digger

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: CrimeMasterToto

Its is the root of so many other serious social problems that we have in our country - domestic violence, female infanticide, etc. Anyone educated person/family asking for dowry is nothing but a glorified gold digger

Absolutely. Parents...specially the ones in rural and suburban areas, dread the birth of a girl and are forced to squander their lifelong earnings to quench the unending greed of their future son-in-law and his family. A lot of them go deep in debts. Dowry is as cruel as, if not worse than, sati.
Edited by Wistfulness - 2 years ago
sweet_chilly thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

What irks me is even in "love marriages" Dowry is common... Like that episode in made in heaven.... The guy wastes the girls precious years time in a long term relationship and then in the end reveals his real face.... Have personal experience on this... In the last moment I was told to have a grand wedding as it's the norm.... Ofcos i didnt agree....

1103978 thumbnail

Why would anyone even have views on something that is illegal - It is not LEGAL and thatā€™s a fact - You canā€™t debate on facts!

Originally posted by: sweet_chilly

What irks me is even in "love marriages" Dowry is common... Like that episode in made in heaven.... The guy wastes the girls precious years time in a long term relationship and then in the end reveals his real face.... Have personal experience on this... In the last moment I was told to have a grand wedding as it's the norm.... Ofcos i didnt agree....

Exactly

hadd hoti hai bheek mangane ki

sweet_chilly thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: CrimeMasterToto

Exactly

hadd hoti hai bheek mangane ki

Actually this is a new technique now used by many guys from middle class families.... Leave home town and work in a big city and patao a financially well off girl and then ask for a huge wedding or dowry at the same time expect her to contribute financially after marriage.... I have seen it too many times in my circle... The girl is then too emotionally involved with the guy ....

Anjalika01 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Horrible horrible practice that has destroyed many relationships of different types and even ended lives...

The root cause for the "girl's side" just complying in most of these situations is conservatism in society that causes a woman and her family to fear that she will be viewed as promiscuous for having a broken relationship , hence (even if they are sensible enough to realise at that point that the opposite side are clearly not good people) they keep on "feeding the beast" so to speak and giving in to her boyfriend/fiancee/husband and/or his family's demands in the hope that they won't ditch the woman, and cause her social shame that way...

I've even heard of cases where the woman is married to the man and it's known that he physically abuses her, but her family just keeps paying the husband to try and appease him and curb the abuse that way...

I feel like with most types of male on female abuse in desi society (and other societies to varying extents), the whole dowry practice and all the related violence, etc thrives on the man/their families believing that it's impossible they'll face any adverse consequence at all for their actions, whether said consequence is as (comparatively) small as getting dumped, or as big as going to jail...

Edited by Anjalika01 - 2 years ago
Anjalika01 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: pathaka

Vehemently against it

I had someone try and explain to me that the dowry practice was apparently originally meant to be a way of ensuring the daughters got equal share of their fathers property and will compared to the sons ā€¦(property laws were different in the good old days coz women werenā€™t allowed to own property back then) ..so it apparently came about as a way to circumvent that ā€¦

Anyway, In vehemently against asking ur parents money after a certain age, let alone expecting money from your spouses parentsā€¦I donā€™t believe they owe us anything apart from a happy and safe childhood and perhaps education/ skill to earn ..if they gave u that, they have done their job..I know daughters who ask on behalf of their husbands/ husbands families and emotionally blackmail parents for a ā€œgood futureā€ ..

If ur old enough to get married, ur old enough to look after urself..if u want more money ā€¦work hard and earn it

This is even worse than the men/their families pushing for dowry imo...

I swear some people have no conscience at all šŸ¤¢