Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

1194442 thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: Almirah

I have actually seen an Indian wedding where infront of everyone, the bride's father takes off the turban on his head, bows down and keeps the turban at the feet of the groom's father because he is unable to meet their demands and he is actually pleading him by laying all his pride at his feet. I was gutted.

I will never understand why the groom's family thinks the bride's family owes them even a dime, and where/how such a preposterous thing even started! If anything, they should garnish the groom's monthly wages to provide for the bride's family ....... cuz they are getting a maid for free!

I say maid cuz I cannot even for a second imagine people with such disgusting mindsets treating their daughter in law with any more dignity than they would a maid! šŸ˜µ

1194442 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Gul_9

Dowry demand karne wale according to me.Squidward Spare Change GIF - Squidward Spare Change Spare Some Change GIFs

Homeless people and street beggars look far more dignified and respectable in front of dowry hunters who love to pose as "decent" "society" "people" .... šŸ¤®

Ssp123 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

How can a girl respect a person/family who suck her parents' blood in the name of Dowry.

Feel pity for the people who actually believe in Dowry .

If lifelong expenditure bol k le rhe to the girl should not invest a penny for her new household ; double payment does not make any sense

Kisi saaman k liye why to pay twice

Almirah thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2

It's not that only the poor or middle class groom's parents ask. Even the rich or filthy rich ask because of auspicious and sacred blessings, traditions, customs, values, rituals.

Also it's not as if this stops at the wedding day, it usually goes on lifelong.

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

Vehemently against it

I had someone try and explain to me that the dowry practice was apparently originally meant to be a way of ensuring the daughters got equal share of their fathers property and will compared to the sons ā€¦(property laws were different in the good old days coz women werenā€™t allowed to own property back then) ..so it apparently came about as a way to circumvent that ā€¦

Anyway, In vehemently against asking ur parents money after a certain age, let alone expecting money from your spouses parentsā€¦I donā€™t believe they owe us anything apart from a happy and safe childhood and perhaps education/ skill to earn ..if they gave u that, they have done their job..I know daughters who ask on behalf of their husbands/ husbands families and emotionally blackmail parents for a ā€œgood futureā€ ..

If ur old enough to get married, ur old enough to look after urself..if u want more money ā€¦work hard and earn it

Edited by pathaka - 2 years ago
Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Itā€™s as poisonous as supporting nepotism

Edited by Shaitan-Haiwan - 2 years ago
Mistyy thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

We as a society have to say no to this. Not accepting dowry but giving dowry is also part of the problem.

We have to raise our girls to be financially independent and then there is no need for dowry because no one needs to ā€œprovideā€ for her. The whole system of dowry started when back in those days, it was considered hardship to provide for one more person in family. So dowry was started to get the daughter start off well in her new family. But like everything else, this has also gone out of control. Everything nowadays is a show off. There may not be a dowry but then there is designer clothes, dance, parties for like a week.
What a waste of money, instead give that money in cash to your daughter to put that as a down payment on house or business.

Originally posted by: kankabhor

What that lady said in the clip is the truth of many people. Many people who are against dowry still give dowry. My in laws are of same opinion. They did not take dowry but they are ready to give for girls of their house.

Dowry should not be given or taken, it is definitely a socail evil if you see how much women have suffered because of this so called tradition. And these days we have neo-dowry concept. It is not like traditional dowry but then demand to celebrate shadi in 5 star, 56 bhog for food, sangeet arrangements etc.

Instead of dowry, I think daughters should be given equal rights over parents property. Yes, it is legal and daughter can go to court and ask but it is still not followed in majority of communities. It is still looked down upon if she asks for her share from brothers.

Legally the daughters have equal rights over the property.....see initially when the girls didn't have the right...the parents used to give them lots of gifts and it was like....ki humne beti uska hissa de diya..so it was a way to be fair to the girl...but like any other tradition this one also evolved as DOWRY....now even though the girls have a right in their parents' property ...they are also expected to bring dowry and some douchebag in-laws ask them to ask the hissa in the property also..šŸ˜”....

Its not just the greedy in laws...atleast the educated and independent girls should put their foot down that they will not marry someone asking for dowry....I had told my Dad that I will never marry in a family who will ask for dowry...because I will never be able to respect my husband or in-laws if that happened...luckily for me I found oneā¤ļø.....but seriously someone needs to stop this.

Almirah thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2

Sometimes, both parents and the groom make deals without the knowledge of the bride so that she doesn't refuse the wedding.

Swetha-Sai thumbnail

Dowry still continues every today.. wherein the father of the bride gifts her things for her new house..