Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kankabhor thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 2 years ago

What that lady said in the clip is the truth of many people. Many people who are against dowry still give dowry. My in laws are of same opinion. They did not take dowry but they are ready to give for girls of their house.

Dowry should not be given or taken, it is definitely a socail evil if you see how much women have suffered because of this so called tradition. And these days we have neo-dowry concept. It is not like traditional dowry but then demand to celebrate shadi in 5 star, 56 bhog for food, sangeet arrangements etc.

Instead of dowry, I think daughters should be given equal rights over parents property. Yes, it is legal and daughter can go to court and ask but it is still not followed in majority of communities. It is still looked down upon if she asks for her share from brothers.

Edited by kankabhor - 2 years ago
kankabhor thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Almirah

Dowry is a shagun and a blessing which the bride's parents give to groom's parents as a token of love so that the newly married couple can live happily ever after.

Dowry encompasses the Indian traditional values. We should respect them.

Sati also encompassed Indian traditional values at soem point but we got rid of it. We don't need to respect wrong tradition. Newly married couple can live happily ever after even without dowry.

Ok, if someone really wants to give gifts or something to groom's parents it can be okay. But then groom parents shoudl also feel same for bride's parents. Get gifts for them. When it is demanded, forced then it is wrong. One needs to understand the effects of such traditions in the society.

arnavfluffy thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

All the money property etc should be given to the girl and not husband or family.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

It is an unfortunate social evil that still remains in our society. We must work on eliminating it.

I personally would be single rather than marry into a family that takes dowry (I am single 😆.) But I know not everyone is that privileged and marriage is important for many women.

Almirah thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2

Shadi nahi karogi toh bachche kaise honge 😡

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Live and let live 😆

1194442 thumbnail

This is why I'm looking for a guy who is either an orphan or lives 45345345353535 miles away from his parents and visits them once every five years. Even better if he doesn't have siblings!

canuck-umz thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Almirah

Dowry is a shagun and a blessing which the bride's parents give to groom's parents as a token of love so that the newly married couple can live happily ever after.

Dowry encompasses the Indian traditional values. We should respect them.

Oh okay, thanks for informing us. So how do the groom's parents give their blessings? What token of love do they give to the newly married couple so they can live happily ever after. Is there a battle between the bride and groom's parents for who can give the most tokens of love?

Almirah thumbnail

I have actually seen an Indian wedding where infront of everyone, the bride's father takes off the turban on his head, bows down and keeps the turban at the feet of the groom's father because he is unable to meet their demands and he is actually pleading him by laying all his pride at his feet. I was gutted.

Almirah thumbnail

Originally posted by: canuck-umz

Oh okay, thanks for informing us. So how do the groom's parents give their blessings? What token of love do they give to the newly married couple so they can live happily ever after. Is there a battle between the bride and groom's parents for who can give the most tokens of love?

What battle? The bride is going to live with the groom's family at their home. Why should groom's parents give anything? They can give all the love at their place.