Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 2 years ago

Can't believe there's a battle for hijab/burqa in 2022. I don't know why is it even an issue. Looks politically motivated. If it's mandated by religion, it's not really a choice. Still, it's not anyone's business to dictate the clothing but educational institutions are different. Hope the state doesn't succumb to this irrational religious bullying and sticks to the uniform.

In my school the teachers scrutinized everything right from the length of the skirt and the stockings to the width of the ribbons. Even a simple Kalava wasn’t allowed. We never outraged. LMAO!

Edited by Wistfulness - 2 years ago
JayaBachan thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mahisa_22

It's the significance behind the hijab/burqa which I find demeaning and derogatory. It basically stems from the belief that women should try to cover themselves in an attempt to not invite lustful male gaze. Putting the blame of rape on the woman. That makes this custom inherently degrading for women.

Also, not against the hijab per se like I'm against the burqa (since in my opinion, full face covering of ANY KIND should not be allowed in public), but i still find it problematic. But like I said in several of my posts, a hijab is still fine compared to the burqa.

The point I’m emphasising on is the right to choose. In your opinion, the hijab/burqa may be derogatory but the women who wants to practice their faith don’t hold the same opinion. That’s the importance of respecting differences. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same perception and that’s fine. You have your opinion about the hijab and I have mine. That’s the beauty of exercising our freedom of speech, freedom of choice and the freedom to practice our religion (whatever it may be).

I strongly believe that a woman should wear whatever they want, whether we like it or not doesn’t matter, because it’s their body and they have the right to decide whether they want to cover or reveal it. I’m not fond of Burqa’s but I’m not going to stop someone from wearing it if that’s what they want. In fact, I just mind my own business and let people dress however they want. If I don’t like it, I won’t wear it. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Oppression goes both ways. Forcing a woman to cover up or wear certain clothings against her will is oppression. In the same light, forcing a woman to uncover and wear certain clothings against her will is also oppression.

DheeJattanDi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Lord_Voldemort

Nothing wrong with the statement. Kashmir should be free.

Yeah, as long as it is actually free.. not just another state of Pakistan with merely the name "azad" 😜

Kyahikahoon thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Wistfulness

Can't believe there's a battle for hijab/burqa in 2022. I don't know why is it even an issue. Looks politically motivated. Yesterday a verse was quoted in the HC which said BS like it's forbidden for a menstruating woman to show her hands and face. Seriously! If it's mandated by religion, it's not really a choice. Hope the state doesn't succumb to this irrational religious bullying and sticks to the uniform.

In my school the teachers scrutinized everything right from the length of the skirt and the stockings to the width of the ribbons. Even a simple Kalava wasn’t allowed. We never outraged. LMAO!

So true..even now there r schools that don't allow anklets, bangles, earrings etc..nailpolish also.

Only plain black hairpins were allowed with 2 braids n ribbons..no colorful clips or bands

Zeal17 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

How can a meagre issue like wearing cloth or not in Indian school become International headlines.. but Hindu Minor girls In Pakistan getting abducted, raped and forcefully married doesn't gain any attention from international publications or celebrities. Did Malala raised her voice for Pakistani hindu girls?

Wistfulness thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mahisa_22

It's the significance behind the hijab/burqa which I find demeaning and derogatory. It basically stems from the belief that women should try to cover themselves in an attempt to not invite lustful male gaze. Putting the blame of rape on the woman. That makes this custom inherently degrading for women.

Also, not against the hijab per se like I'm against the burqa (since in my opinion, full face covering of ANY KIND should not be allowed in public), but i still find it problematic. But like I said in several of my posts, a hijab is still fine compared to the burqa.

Men going berserk over it is insane. Itna pasand hai toh khud pehen lo. 🤪

I regularly come across gross justification posts (by men) with a picture showing two lollipops. The one without the wrapper has ants feasting on it. I don't need to say what exactly it conveys. 🤢

Kyahikahoon thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: FingerFetish

The point I’m emphasising on is the right to choose. In your opinion, the hijab/burqa may be derogatory but the women who wants to practice their faith don’t hold the same opinion. That’s the importance of respecting differences. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same perception and that’s fine. You have your opinion about the hijab and I have mine. That’s the beauty of exercising our freedom of speech, freedom of choice and the freedom to practice our religion (whatever it may be).

I strongly believe that a woman should wear whatever they want, whether we like it or not doesn’t matter, because it’s their body and they have the right to decide whether they want to cover or reveal it. I’m not fond of Burqa’s but I’m not going to stop someone from wearing it if that’s what they want. In fact, I just mind my own business and let people dress however they want. If I don’t like it, I won’t wear it. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Oppression goes both ways. Forcing a woman to cover up or wear certain clothings against her will is oppression. In the same light, forcing a woman to uncover and wear certain clothings against her will is also oppression.

No one is taking away a woman's choice to wear what she wants..it's just about educational institutes..no one is asking to ban it elsewhere.

Mahisa_22 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: FingerFetish

Fair enough. People should have the right to choose. However, the reason I don't want burqa to be allowed in public places (more so in places where showing your identity is necessary) is that it can be a security concern. That is my main beef apart from the fact that I find it sexist and regressive. Like I said, I'm agInst any full face covering in public, even if it's not the burqa. Especially in a place like a school, where wearing uniform is mandatory. In places like this, hijab or burqa both shouldn't be allowed.

But yes, I agree on your point that people do have the right to choose.

Edited by Mahisa_22 - 2 years ago
Wistfulness thumbnail

Originally posted by: niyati13

So true..even now there r schools that don't allow anklets, bangles, earrings etc..nailpolish also.

Only plain black hairpins were allowed with 2 braids n ribbons..no colorful clips or bands

Precisely. Schools have a set of rules that must be followed.
JayaBachan thumbnail

Originally posted by: niyati13

No one is taking away a woman's choice to wear what she wants..it's just about educational institutes..no one is asking to ban it elsewhere.

I’m not talking about the educational institute. My comment is referring to the general opinion of wearing a hijab. Let people wear what they want so long as it’s their decision. Simple. I’m not going to get started in the schooling system because the public schools here allow students to wear religious garments (hijab, crucifix, etc) with their uniform. It’s only private schools uphold more stricter rules.