Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: v_nakshara

I remember Chamatkar, Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman and King Uncle were hits. King Uncle had Jackie Shroff and Anu Agarwal as the leads. SRK was playing a supporting role. King Uncle was really popular among the kids. 

I’ve watched SRK since Fauji and followed his career. I wasn’t a big fan of his at the beginning  but love watching him onscreen. I remember how much I hated him after watching Anjaam. I couldn’t understand how someone could be so cruel but all changed after DDLJ. Salman, Aamir and Akshay were more popular among girls as they more conventionally good looking. 

Dil Ashna hai & King Uncle were flops.

Chamatkar & Raju below average.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060408044054/http://www.boxofficeindia.com/1992.htm

Edited by aaditi123 - 2 years ago
JackSparrowcraz thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: PardesiBabu

Yash Raj ki vajah se SRK star bana varna

1990s mein saare hi films uske flop ya disaster hi the

1992: deewana hit par raju ban gaya gentleman, dil aashna hai, chamatkaar, maya memsab, king uncle all flops

1993: baazigar, darr se recognition mila par villain role mein atka raha, hero nahi bana

1995: kabhi haan kabhi naa flop

anjaam flop

karan arjun blockbuster 

zamaana deewana flop

guddu flop

1996: o darling ye hai India flop

ram jaane flop

trimurti flop

english babu desi mem disaster

DDLJ. YRF ne SRK ko bada Hero banaya varna B grade films hi kar raha tha 

Chaahat flop

Army maha flop

koyla flop 

1997: Yes boss flop

Pardes flop in India ( did well in phoren) 

Dil toh Pagal Hai ( Again, YRF helped his career) 

Duplicate flop

1998: Dil se flop

Kuch Kuch hota hai ( Dharma saved his career) 

1999: Badshah flop but PR se kudh ko king khan bulvane lag gaya 

2000: Phir bhi dil hai hindustani  disaster 

Arrival of Superstar Hrithik 

Toh jahir si baat hai SRK ko A grade star YRF ne banaya hai na ki ulta, aaj bhi uska career save karne k liye Pathan bana rahe hai 😆

SRK's PR was wild.His PR would put negative stuff on his rivals in media deriding them.His,YRF and Dharma, their monopoly on awards functions.

surajhere thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: atominis

Being a big TV star does not ensure success or bankability in films. People like Renuka Shahane, Mukesh Khanna, Nitish Bhardwaj, Arun Govil, Firoz Khan, Pallavi Joshi were bigger TV stars than SRK due to mega serials like Ramayan, Mahabharat, Surabhi, Junoon, Aarohan, Mrignayani etc which were more successful than Fauji and Circus. Still they all failed to make a mark in films even in character roles. Milind Soman was huge in modeling, ads, TV, music videos but failed in films. No TV actor got work in Yash Chopra film the way SRK did. 

So it is both ways. YRF did help SRK get bigger platform that other TV actors never get. 

It does, if you have the qualities to become a Bollywood actor for it gives you a head start. Not all TV actors are equal. 

For the brief two years that SRK was on TV he was the number one star. Comparing him to somebody like Renuka Shahane, Mukesh Khanna, Nitish Bhardwaj, Arun Govil, Firoz Khan, Pallavi Joshi is like comparing chalk and cheese . For instance Firoz Khan fizzled out after his 1984 role of Arjun in Mahabharat, Mukesh Khanna had to wait for almost 10 years to see success after Mahabharat in the form of Shaktiman. Pallavi Joshi's most famous show is Arohan which was beaten hands down by Udaan an earlir show, in popularity, Nitish Bharadwaj did not have success after Mahabharat, he acted in Marathi films and was not very popular but SRK in a brief period of 2 years starred in one hit show after another. He nailed it in Fauji itself. His popularity is confirmed and re-confirmed by people I grew up with and around and that includes all genders and age domain. Everybody liked him.

It is ok if you or others don't like SRK but to deny him his success is something that is not good. 

surajhere thumbnail

I don't rely on statistics for films I have actually seen.

Parinda was a flop. I and the theatre usher were the only two people left till the end.

Lamhe was a flop.  

Anjaam had a good opening , I culd not get tickets in first 3 days but it nosedived later on and was a flop. 

So irrespective of what boxofficeIndia says these movies did well at BO.

I am not asking you or anybody to believe it but I am basing my opinion on what I had seen and read at that time. 

Originally posted by: surajhere

I don't rely on statistics for films I have actually seen.

Parinda was a flop. I and the theatre usher were the only two people left till the end.

Lamhe was a flop.  

Anjaam had a good opening , I culd not get tickets in first 3 days but it nosedived later on and was a flop. 

So irrespective of what boxofficeIndia says these movies did well at BO.

I am not asking you or anybody to believe it but I am basing my opinion on what I had seen and read at that time. 

Hit in your locality,flop everywhere.

atominis thumbnail

This is true and it is main reason why he, YRF, Dharma are disliked by a sizeable section in public and industry.

They made award shows and even talk shows their own private bitch fest bashing, mocking other actors and films and insulting rivals and even seniors was passed off as so called humour or wit.

I remember their desperation to run down Lagaan, Gadar and hype K3G. They were flabbergasted when Lagaan got nominated for Oscars. SRK has often mocked his rivals. He called Akshay a junk food hero. He often mocked Aamir's height with digs like 'his fans need atleast someone they can look up to'. His PR went wild trying to run down Ghajini and 3 Idiots claiming Ghajini is violent or 3 Idiots 'is encouraging student suicides'. It was laughable when PR claimed MNIK beat 3 Idiots, which it did not. The PR brigade had tried to run down TZP, RDB also saying 'these are for niche audience'. SRK had once joked 'films are for entertainment, messages are for post office'. Later his own message based films like Swades flopped. 

Awards were totally sold to this YRF, Dharma gang. When SRK was given awards it was said he got it as his films were biggest grossers. But when others like Sunny, Salman, Aamir gave biggest grossers, even then they were denied awards. They were given nothing for MPK, HAHK, Gadar, Ghayal, 3 Idiots, Ghajini, PK etc. 

KWK was also nothing more than a cheap platform for K Jo and SRK to bitch against other actors. For initial few seasons, Akshay, Aamir, Salman were not even invited. I wish they had refused to go in later seasons as well. 

At each award show, SRK, K Jo, Sajid and Saif would mock other actors and their films. Vidya Balan once admitted she did not like it when they gave her NaReal award for her dressing sense and mocked her dressing sense (even though she is a fan of SRK). 

It was funny how Aamir was mocked and labeled as someone whose films catered to only 'classes' but Salman and Akshay were also mocked and derided saying their films appealed to 'rickshaw walas'. I guess it was frustration of those whose grip was loosening over both classes and masses. 

They later began to mock Indian collections and audience and bragged global star has best overseas collections but got riled up when Aamir,.Akki, Salman, HR began to get good overseas collections also and Aamir beat SRK films in markets like USA, China. 

Easily the most vile PR, paid troll armies, paid media and cheap industry friends to deride other films and rivals. 

At one point they had tried to mock Bachchans also claiming SRK's a better host than Amitabh on KBC or better than Amitabh in Don or that Bachchans' Unforgettable tour is a flop compared to SRK's Temptations tour. 

It's probably sweet karma that the ones they mocked most, went ahead nonetheless, were unaffected. 

Amitabh's back in KBC. And others have been breaking records except for last 1 or 2 flops. 

While those who derided everyone else are still waiting for their comeback. 

I am not surprised Akshay, Aamir, Salman and Ajay openly mock award shows and film magazines and give it back tit for tat now in every interview or online post. They probably had enough all through 90s and mid 2000s. 

Akshay even had a dialogue in Singh is King to mock SRK. Rubbed it in after 17-18 years. 

Even Ajay had once compared award shows and dancing at weddings to mujra. Good that he replied back and did not keep quiet in face of digs aimed at him. 

surajhere thumbnail

Originally posted by: JackSparrowcraz

Hit in your locality,flop everywhere.

I also said read.

atominis thumbnail

Oh please. Anjaam is a legit, total flop. It was too violent and also seen as vulgar which is why it flopped. Even today it is heavily censored whenever it is shown on TV. The film had excessive graphic violence against women and children.

surajhere thumbnail

Oh please. Anjaam is a legit, total flop. It was too violent and also seen as vulgar which is why it flopped. Even today it is heavily censored whenever it is shown on TV. The film had excessive graphic violence against women and children.

So where did I say it was a hit ?

This is true and it is main reason why he, YRF, Dharma are disliked by a sizeable section in public and industry.

They made award shows and even talk shows their own private bitch fest bashing, mocking other actors and films and insulting rivals and even seniors was passed off as so called humour or wit.

I remember their desperation to run down Lagaan, Gadar and hype K3G. They were flabbergasted when Lagaan got nominated for Oscars. SRK has often mocked his rivals. He called Akshay a junk food hero. He often mocked Aamir's height with digs like 'his fans need atleast someone they can look up to'. His PR went wild trying to run down Ghajini and 3 Idiots claiming Ghajini is violent or 3 Idiots 'is encouraging student suicides'. It was laughable when PR claimed MNIK beat 3 Idiots, which it did not. The PR brigade had tried to run down TZP, RDB also saying 'these are for niche audience'. SRK had once joked 'films are for entertainment, messages are for post office'. Later his own message based films like Swades flopped. 

Awards were totally sold to this YRF, Dharma gang. When SRK was given awards it was said he got it as his films were biggest grossers. But when others like Sunny, Salman, Aamir gave biggest grossers, even then they were denied awards. They were given nothing for MPK, HAHK, Gadar, Ghayal, 3 Idiots, Ghajini, PK etc. 

KWK was also nothing more than a cheap platform for K Jo and SRK to bitch against other actors. For initial few seasons, Akshay, Aamir, Salman were not even invited. I wish they had refused to go in later seasons as well. 

At each award show, SRK, K Jo, Sajid and Saif would mock other actors and their films. Vidya Balan once admitted she did not like it when they gave her NaReal award for her dressing sense and mocked her dressing sense (even though she is a fan of SRK). 

It was funny how Aamir was mocked and labeled as someone whose films catered to only 'classes' but Salman and Akshay were also mocked and derided saying their films appealed to 'rickshaw walas'. I guess it was frustration of those whose grip was loosening over both classes and masses. 

They later began to mock Indian collections and audience and bragged global star has best overseas collections but got riled up when Aamir,.Akki, Salman, HR began to get good overseas collections also and Aamir beat SRK films in markets like USA, China. 

Easily the most vile PR, paid troll armies, paid media and cheap industry friends to deride other films and rivals. 

At one point they had tried to mock Bachchans also claiming SRK's a better host than Amitabh on KBC or better than Amitabh in Don or that Bachchans' Unforgettable tour is a flop compared to SRK's Temptations tour. 

It's probably sweet karma that the ones they mocked most, went ahead nonetheless, were unaffected. 

Amitabh's back in KBC. And others have been breaking records except for last 1 or 2 flops. 

While those who derided everyone else are still waiting for their comeback. 

I am not surprised Akshay, Aamir, Salman and Ajay openly mock award shows and film magazines and give it back tit for tat now in every interview or online post. They probably had enough all through 90s and mid 2000s. 

Akshay even had a dialogue in Singh is King to mock SRK. Rubbed it in after 17-18 years. 

Even Ajay had once compared award shows and dancing at weddings to mujra. Good that he replied back and did not keep quiet in face of digs aimed at him. 

Akshay,Suniel,Salman,Sunny,Hrithik,Saif,Amitabh,Ajay,Aamir and many more.