Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vyapti thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: Chiillii

After Uparichara his eldest son Kausamb became king of chedi, his second son Brihadratha became king of Magadha. Third son Malla became king of Malla. Manivahan became king of Vatsa  and Satyavati's twin brother Matsya established Matsya kingdom

I feel in the novel Arayavarta Chronicles the writer implies that Satyavati is called Matsyagandha because she is daughter of Matsya kingdom.

Chiillii thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

Btw, @Chiillii, there is a disease called trimethylaminuria which causes fish odor. It is treated with diet modification or antibiotics. Activated charcoal is another. There is evidence ancient Indians used activated charcoal to purify water. So perhaps your theory re: her smell is right (not a skin disorder, though).

Thanks...i thought body odour must be related to skin problems. Good to know it actually Is a disease and a curable one at that.

Chiillii thumbnail

Originally posted by: vyapti

I feel in the novel Arayavarta Chronicles the writer implies that Satyavati is called Matsyagandha because she is daughter of Matsya kingdom.

That is where fiction writers make mistakes. The epic has the logical story in layers between metaphors and magical elements. 

Satyavati's political background is given in detail. She was princess of chedi kingdom with bad body odour that was cured by Parasar. Matsyagandha actually means fish odour.  Uttara the princess of Matsya is addressed as vairati and matsyakumari

HearMeRoar thumbnail

It's a theory, too.

Chiillii thumbnail

Indonesian MB has Parasara as kulguru of Matsya and Satyavati as King's sister marries him and has Vyasa. He eventually moves to Himalayas taking Vyasa with him, giving her the opportunity to marry Santanu. 

So in that sense yes she was from Matsya too as much as she was from Chedi.  Just like Kunti was from KuntiBhoja but she was sister to Vsudev too.

However her name Matsya gandha was due to the fish odor. She was also addressed at many places as Gandhakali and Yojanagandha after treatment 

vyapti thumbnail

Originally posted by: Chiillii

Indonesian MB has Parasara as kulguru of Matsya and Satyavati as King's sister marries him and has Vyasa. He eventually moves to Himalayas taking Vyasa with him, giving her the opportunity to marry Santanu. 

So in that sense yes she was from Matsya too as much as she was from Chedi.  Just like Kunti was from KuntiBhoja but she was sister to Vsudev too.

However her name Matsya gandha was due to the fish odor. She was also addressed at many places as Gandhakali and Yojanagandha after treatment 

Sorry the writer perhaps did not mean that Satyavati was kalled Matsyagandha because she was from Matsya. I made a mistake perhaps. She though said that Satyavati was from Matsya as far as I can remember.

But I have a question.

Satyavati's brother was king of Matsya. Adrika is called a fish. I can't remember correctly but perhaps it is said that Satyavati had fish odour because she was born from a fish. 

So is the following possible?

Adrika was princess of Matsya. Like Madra and Kekaya, Matsya was matrilineal. Or perhaps Adrika like Chitrangada was an only child. So Adrika, princess of Matsya remained in Matsya even after marriage. Her son became king in due course of time. So Satyavati can be considered Matsya princess.

Edited by vyapti - 2 years ago
Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail

The story goes something like this. (Others please correct me if there are are mistakes).

Once upon a time Uparichar Vasu's queen was in her fertile period. So she "asked him to give her a child".

But he went hunting leaving her in palace. (Don't remember the reason)

In the natural surrounding of woods he remembered her even more. He could not control himself.

After that he collected his s***n in a leaf and gave it to a bird to carry it to his queen Girika. But on the way the leaf fell from the bird's beak into a river. A fish dovoured it. The fish was actually an Apsara named Adrika reborn. Fishermen recovered two babies from her, a male and a female.

When Uparichar Vasu was informed about the twins he took the son with him to his kingdom. The daughter Satyavati was given to Dasaraj. So Dasaraj was the adoptive father of Satyavati.

That's really interesting. 

I have another doubt. I had read somewhere that Balram was actually Vasudev's and Devaki's seventh son but was born out of Rohini's womb through God's maya. Is that true? 

vyapti thumbnail

Originally posted by: Life_Is_Dutiful

That's really interesting. 

I have another doubt. I had read somewhere that Balram was actually Vasudev's and Devaki's seventh son but was born out of Rohini's womb through God's maya. Is that true? 

Devaki's 7th child was stillborn/miscarriage.

According to SB Narayana instructed Yogamaya to take the child from Devaki's womb and to implant it in Rohini's womb. 

Don't know what Harivamsha or Vishnupurana say.

Edited by vyapti - 2 years ago
FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

Satyavati was not only Uparachira vasu's daughter, he also asked the fisher chief to marry her to Shanthanu. It was a planned marriage. 

Bheeshma didn't take the vow simply out of love for his father. Hastinapuri really didn't have a choice there. Bheeshma on his own wouldn't have allies. Satyavati's children would.

I suspect Pandavas choosing Matsya to hide out in and the Abhimanyu-Uttara wedding was also a message to the Kauravas that the Pandava side had political legitimacy. 

OMG look who is back 

Matasya as a choice was definitely not random. Yaksh (Yudhisthir's father) specifically came to ask him spend agyatwas there

Firstly it was centrally placed

Secondly definitely the association (started as personal but later became political) of Duryodhan and Susharaman meant an indirect enmity to Matasya. So Kauravas couldn't have easy entry there 

Your point is pretty valid too. The kings back then needed political alliance and support, Bheeshm's maternal side wasn't strong enough to give that like was Satyavati's, however my point is if Uparachari Vasu had left her go, why was her alliance needed? He definitely would have had other daughters granddaughters 

Chiillii thumbnail

Uparichara's official wife was Girika. Adrika was an Apsara cursed to be a fish when she ingested Uparichara's sperm.

It's a miraculous story which basically implies that Satyavati and Matsya were born to an Apsara / courtesan who had been disbarred / ostracised for misbehaving with a Rishi.

Children from Apsara was not an issue but from a cursed / ostracised outcast Apsara would be a problem and hence the miracle story

Regarding Balram.

Vasudev was not in a Jail till Krishna was born. He was in house arrest with access to his wives including Devaki and Rohini but under the watch of guards as well as spies disguised as servants. 

Balram was Rohini's son. Devaki's seventh was a miscarriage. 

Sankarshana or womb exchange was a propaganda to gain Andhaka parentage for Balaram for future coronation. Mathura was ruled by Andhaka. Vasudev was Vrishni Devaki was Andhaka and her son had a claim to throne. Rohini was a Puru princess. Vasudev himself had no claim on Mathura and neither did Balram and that is why Krishna was offered the throne by Ugrasena. And it is for this reason they had to move out as all kings supported Jarasandh's claim that Vasudev and Balram can never be king of Mathura. 

Eventually Balram gets Dwarka in dowry which enables Vasudev to succeed Ugrasena but even that was tenuous as Dwarka was just land citizens were all Bhoja Andhaka and Vrishni Yadava for whom only Krishna was eligible to be their chief. Hence story that Balram was actually Devaki's and therefore a vrishni Andhaka too. 

Edited by Chiillii - 2 years ago