How did Farah Khan go from Main Hoon Na to Happy New Year?

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

Main Hoon Naa(2004) and Om Shanti Om(2007) fall under the bracket of good commercial cinema. They are entertaining and packaged well and have clever meta references to pop culture. They may be larger than life, yes, and they are also illogical at times, but they have genuine LOL moments and also have the emotional moments strung together engagingly.

On the other hand, Happy New Year(2014) is pure bad cinema, tacky and poorly-made. There isn't an ounce of thought which has gone into the making of this movie. It's pure cringe, and doesn't hold your attention at all.

I haven't watched Tees Maar Khan so can't comment on it.

Do you think she has deteriorated sharply as a director??

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CrimeMasterToto thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: mintyblue

Main Hoon Naa(2004) and Om Shanti Om(2007) fall under the bracket of good commercial cinema. They are entertaining and packaged well and have clever meta references to pop culture. They may be larger than life, yes, and they are also illogical at times, but they have genuine LOL moments and also have the emotional moments strung together engagingly.

On the other hand, Happy New Year(2014) is pure bad cinema, tacky and poorly-made. There isn't an ounce of thought which has gone into the making of this movie. It's pure cringe, and doesn't hold your attention at all.

I haven't watched Tees Maar Khan so can't comment on it.

TMK was even worse, so relatively speaking she actually improved upon it with HNY

I think she took herself too seriously when the media tagged her as this great genre-mash-up director. Every interview she was saying that I have mashed up a heist movie with a dance competition movie which has never been done before. And instead of developing a solid script around this interesting concept, she just went back to stale jokes from her own movies and relied on gimmicks such as Farah-SRK patch-up/comeback movie. A solid emotional component held up MHN and OSO, which was absent here

1003197 thumbnail

Om shanti om script was stolen, not sure about main hoo na.

For some weird reason, her husband likes collecting everyone in one place in his movie

Just_Say_Cheese thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 5

Not 'Want to watch again and again' kind of funny but still were watchable for me...

Those two police officers in Tees Maar Khan 😆

When I watched this, I used to find these two so similar, couldn't differentiate..(my eyes, brain had so much defect)

Heyyy...they showed proper LGBTQ marriage na in this movie...as much I remember, these two married each other at last...were not even shown as caricature...

PangaNaLe thumbnail
Own Your Stories Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Main Hoon Na and Om Shanti Om came at a time when social media didn't exist and audience wasn't nitpicking for logic.

Otherwise there are so many illogical scenes in Main Hoon Na (widely considered her best work), like the orchestra playing behind SRK whenever he sees Sushmita's character. Try that shit in today's movies and people would make a meme of it.

It still would've been fine if the whole movie was like that, but then Farah Khan threw the army and India-Pakistan stuff, along with serious family melodrama, asking the audience to take the movie seriously. Main Hoon Na tries to be both serious and fun and it's neither here or there.

OSO was also a parody, but then again Farah Khan wanted the audience to take the movie seriously by making them care about Shanti's death and Om avenging her. If your movie is a spoof, make it a complete spoof, but Bollywood has a habit of shifting genres like that.

Point is, audience moved on from Farah Khan's style of filmmaking after OSO. They found her films not enough serious to care about the characters, nor enough cartoonish to just watch it and have fun.

NotAMuggle thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

The only thing that I liked about HNY was Manwa Laage ❤️

And to some extent, maybe, India Wale.

While I loved almost everything about OSO. I enjoyed MHN a lot too.

Don't know whether I grew up or just Farah deteriorated.

Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: mintyblue

Not at all. She wasn't even good to begin with.

The first two films worked for reasons other than her. Shah Rukh Khan is a MAJOR factor. Clearly his collaboration and creative input was beneficial to say the least. SRK made sure Red Chillies Entertainment's first film (Main Hoon Na) was going to be all it could, and they furthered it with Om Shanti Om.

Like you, I have not seen Tees Maar Khan, because I heard how bad and soulless it was. On her own, working with a new team, lack of chemistry maybe lead to a film less well received?

By the time they reunited with Happy New Year, SRK had lost his creative flow and magic. And Farah herself changed the story of the film several times over. They were so desperate to make a BIG successful film that I think they lost track of making a good film. And you can tell by the crass humour and tone of the film, is all Farah Khan.

I will also add that I don't think even her first two films are as great as others seem to think so. OSO was very entertaining for sure and I love Farah for her nostalgia and kitsch she brings, all those stars in that one song was a mother freaking moment. But I do not think she is a great filmmaker.

Taify thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

MHN was actually very good. It could've been a lot better but it offered a lot of new things and was fun.

Why she lost it? She stopped paying attention to the story. Like DIlwale..

Maroonporsche thumbnail

None of her films were any good 😆

blUeNoSed thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

You mean bad to bad? She was always a terrible OTT director