Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

potterhead14 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 3 years ago

How is doing something you love selfish?

Anushka 's character had literally nothing to do at home all day other than doing the typical house hold chores. She did not enroll in that class because she did not acknowledge his love it was because she loved dancing. That was not selfish at all

Also let's not forget at the end she chose sukhi not raj and that too whole heartedly.

The movie did not give a wrong message because at the end she chose her husband for who he was, if she would have forced him to stay as raj then the message would have been wrong

1194442 thumbnail

Okay... this topic has put me in a thoughtful mood, so please bear with my incoming essay. 😆

I don't think Anushka is selfish in Rab Ne and don't find the movie problematic--at least not on her end.

I think people expect women to have this unshakeable sense of responsibility and act and behave a certain way as soon as marriage is laid on them, regardless of the situation, even in movies. When they break those traditional expectations in any way, they are termed selfish, heartless, ungrateful and what have you.

I also think this is the kind of backlash HDDCS and English Vinglish were trying to avoid when the two ladies end up going back to their husbands no matter how anti-climactic they looked.

To put their wedding into context, Tanni was engaged to someone else before but soon after, her fiancé is killed with his entire family in an accident. Not even a day through that, her dad also suffers cardiac arrest and passes away.

If that's not life knocking all the wind out of you, I don't know what is! She only says yes to Surinder to honor her father's last dying wish.

She is a completely train wreck at the time ... and without any space to collect herself together, a HUGE commitment like marriage with a dorky looking stranger she doesn't even know or like is strapped to her back.

She had a HELL lot to work through just to make herself feel human again and in that sense, the movie was very real in portraying what a forced marriage that happened under very unfavorable circumstances looks like. I'm glad they didn't romanticize it.

What we see next is her going through the motions of life... basically, just surviving a day at a time but not really living ...in a new town with her husband. He is a gentleman and gives her space but let's not forget that he is already smitten with her from when he first saw her. It might be easy to blame her for not trying but you can't force your heart to love people solely based on how nice they are to you.

The fact that her husband looked and acted like a mustache-o-rama uncle with zero personality didn't resuscitate her or warm her heart for a long time and honestly, can we blame her for that? Even he knows he's a dork ...smiley36 ... that's why he woos her as Raj, the cool and charming guy.

So ... was she wrong in falling for Raj?

She was not in a happy place and didn't have much else going on ... the only thing that makes her feel alive apart from the dance routines is Raj ... cuz he is the only guy who adds excitement and fun to her life. I don't blame her for trying to find happiness in whatever she can ... or for falling for Raj. It's not even like she was looking for love there. He manipulates the situation and actively pursues her... and even then, she chooses to honor her husband over her own feelings.

If there's anything I don't understand, it's this -- WHY couldn't Surinder just show his fun and playful side without splitting into two polar opposite personalities? That double role eventually just leads her to another moral dilemma cuz she is forced to pick between Raj and Surinder. Considering all of that, I don't think she was selfish at all.. quite the contrary rather.

JayaBachan thumbnail

Originally posted by: cutejodikangal

Me three. pretty please!🤓

Word Count: 1

TrustNo1 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Can people watch movies as just movies instead of some positive message spreaders.

GumnaamHaiKoii thumbnail

I don't think Anushka's character was selfish, just aloof , kinda understandable given the circumstances they got married.

They could have handled the story better though 🤔

Should have been more realistic, something Ppl could actually connect to rather than showing shuri act as Raj 🤔

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

The movie went off the rails when two people married simply because someone asked them to. She just lost her fiance and family, now she's supposed to marry a stranger and spend her life with him?

The rest of the plot gets even more hackneyed. He pretends to be someone else. She is unable to recognize him. The cheating angle is neatly cast aside. Its all ridiculous.

1194442 thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

The movie went off the rails when two people married simply because someone asked them to. She just lost her fiance and family, now she's supposed to marry a stranger and spend her life with him?

The rest of the plot gets even more hackneyed. He pretends to be someone else. She is unable to recognize him. The cheating angle is neatly cast aside. Its all ridiculous.

Desi parents blackmailing their son/daughter into marrying someone of their choice happens in real too ...especially as their last wish. It's extreme and unfair but I've heard RL stories of that nature, so it's not far-fetched in that sense.

Can Tanni really be called a cheater though? It would have been your conventional definition of cheating if she had any relationship with her husband at all AND if she had actually given in to her feelings for Raj. Suri and Tanni are only bound by that one thread of forced marriage ... rendering them husband and wife on paper but there were no attempts on her end to make that marriage work. She was a zombie and he knew that too. She falls for Raj but eventually goes back to her husband despite her feelings. It's a grey area and you can argue from either side ... I think.

On the other hand, I wouldn't appreciate a guy posing as someone else and trying to impress me with morning and evening shifts as two different guys. That's just weird to me... but I guess the movie needed something to glue the story together and give the hero and heroine a happy ending.

Pyaricetamol thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Dont mind,but if you look at everything so critically,you'll find everything as problematic