Do you feel Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi has a problematic message?

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

I thought the movie was a decent one-time watch but on retrospect, I must say the movie was problematic in its depiction of love, apart from gaping holes in the narrative.

The plot of Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi pits a shy, reserved and dull Surinder in conflict with outgoing and effervescent Raj, who embodies SRK’s brightest characters; even the name. Works at a meta level and for SRK fans, no doubt, but the core message was that to win over his wife, he had to become somebody different from whom he actually was.

Isn't love all about acceptance of a person exactly the way they are? And to win over someone, do you have to essentially change your core characteristics and woo them in a filmy manner? Also, the film espouses the idea that extra-marital affair is fine if your marriage is "predictable" and "unexciting".

Anushka's character is quite selfish and self-centred. Suri is very courteous and righteous. He never oversteps his boundaries, he leaves his own room for her, takes her for movies every day. She literally doesn't careabout any of it. Instead she finds a dance competition poster and decides to enroll in it. There she finds "love" as she has envisioned it.

The film puts a problematic message out there, that love can only be found by one of the partners changing themselves to the point of being unrecognisable, instead of mutual compromise and adjustment.

Discuss.

Edited by mintyblue - 3 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Maroonporsche thumbnail

I found the film as a whole underwhelming

Your reason could be why it isn’t remembered much. Apart from having nice songs.

JayaBachan thumbnail

The most problematic message from RNBDJ is that a wife is incapable of recognising her own husband. 🤣

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

I am not a SRK fan, but I don't think the ultimate message of the film was wrong.

Anushka's character wasn't selfish, first of all.

She was suffering from loss. She had lost her fiance and her entire in-laws family. On top of it, her father dies and tells her to marry Suri as his last wish. She COULDN'T have loved Suri back from the get go. She didn't even know him properly.🤔

Yet, she always respected Suri, despite not being in love with him.

And when she realized his importance and the sacrifices he was making to make the marriage work.... she outright rejects Raj (despite her initial conflicts) and accepts Suri.👎🏼

And all of this happens BEFORE she even knew Suri was Raj.

It was quite filmy with the whole "Tujh Mein Rab Dikhta Hai" thing, but the emotions were genuine at least.

If anything, the film promoted the fact that guys like Suri CAN make the best husbands.

Edited by diasingh2 - 3 years ago
Talis thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: FingerFetish

The most problematic message from RNBDJ is that a wife is incapable of recognising her own husband. 🤣

TBF he was almost a stranger even as a husband. She barely looked at him let alone eye to eye.

I like the movie but it would have worked better as a love story if she was falling in love (not just respect for one) with both at the same time and was torn while at the same time he realized a significant part of him was like Raj but before he'd never let himself go and have fun.

Edited by Talis - 3 years ago
diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: FingerFetish

Lol! Not defending this logic but it's a little cinematic liberty filmmakers have taken over the years.

I mean entire Superman family hides their "secret" identity behind a pair of glasses.😆

FruitToasty thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

I love SRK enough to write and sing Aarti for him but this movie had no message....It was stupid

Edited by FruitToasty - 3 years ago
JayaBachan thumbnail

Originally posted by: Talis

TBF he was almost a stranger even as a husband. She barely looked at him let alone eye to eye.

I like the movie but it would have worked better as a love story if she was falling in love (not just respect for one) with both at the same time and was torn while at the same time he realized a significant part of him was like Raj but before he'd never let himself go and have fun.

Barely looking at him is one thing but the directors trying to convince the audience that she absolutely could not recognise her husband without glasses and a moustache is a whole new vibe. I couldn’t see past the ridiculousness of it 🥴

JayaBachan thumbnail

Originally posted by: diasingh2

Lol! Not defending this logic but it's a little cinematic liberty filmmakers have taken over the years.

I mean entire Superman family hides their "secret" identity behind a pair of glasses.😆

I need those pair of glasses. 😆

Hit me up when a pair has been invented that would fool people into believing I look like Aishwarya Rai in the future.

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

I want to understand the Clark Kent/Superman or Shaktiman/Gangadhar dynamics going on in the movie.

The most problematic thing is that Dance! That stuff won? No wonder DID mein sob stories work🤭