Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Autumn_Rose thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: oye_nakhrewaali

Now that I think about it, maybe, a child married off young to man of progressive thoughts who encourages her to study and becomes something in life🤔 only professions and states vary😅

Lol.. but too bad she died really young. There are many controversial opinions of how he treated her though. I wonder how really Anandi felt? Was he like a parent cum husband who beat her up when she didn't study & its not like she didn't sleep with him, she lost her child at 14 and then decides to become a doctor.

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

Originally posted by: Autumn_Rose

Lol.. but too bad she died really young. There are many controversial opinions of how he treated her though. I wonder how really Anandi felt? Was he like a parent cum husband who beat her up when she didn't study & its not like she didn't sleep with him, she lost her child at 14 and then decides to become a doctor.

That's the one (out of many) things I appreciate about the movie, you aren't supposed to be pleased with him, respect him , "I am a vile man" it's said by him in the trailer itself, no whitewashing. But she is show to respect (and slowly fall in love (?)) With him, so that's that😅

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

There is a forum for the show you can easily post it there

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/1308

Secondly what makes it different?? The time period. The show is based in pre independent where child marriage was not a crime. Still the show never tries to glorify infact the child was supposed to married to man of her grandfather s age and when he dies they were about to burn her perform sati the male lead protest against it calls the British police even threatens but there so much you can push society s boundaries because let s face it change do not in a single day so sometimes one has to do certain things that themselves don't believe it to try and bring over course of times. Anirudh does not consider bondita his wife he considers her protege who he wants to educate to start a revolution of sort

The intent matters

But your biggest problem is that you have NOT watched the show so you can very well watch it to clear doubts

Ever heard the quote " Never judge a book by its cover"

Edited by Krishnapanchali - 3 years ago
S_H_Y thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

All child marriage show eventually end up justifying it.

Colors Balika Vadhu was like that too

This will too.

Edited by S_H_Y - 3 years ago
Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

Originally posted by: S_H_Y

All child marriage show eventually end up justifying it.

Colors Balika Vadhu was like that too

This will too.

When did ballika vadhu justified child marriage it actually showed the hazards of it when jagiya after growing up feels suffocated in his marriage with andani and leaves her for gauri whom he met and choose as an consenting adult. There was entire debate on it plus anadani ultimately finds happiness with shiv again a man she married as an adult.

S_H_Y thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Krishnapanchali

When did ballika vadhu justified child marriage it actually showed the hazards of it when jagiya after growing up feels suffocated in his marriage with andani and leaves her for gauri whom he met and choose as an consenting adult. There was entire debate on it plus anadani ultimately finds happiness with shiv again a man she married as an adult.

They eventually turned gouri as evil vamp.

Anandi household turned out best for her , anandi was in love with his child groom until he leaves her and even he realised the mistake and come back.

Jagdish was treated as villain and had a redemption arc jus cz he moved on from child bride.

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

Originally posted by: S_H_Y

They eventually turned gouri as evil vamp.

Anandi household turned out best for her , anandi was in love with his child groom until he leaves her and even he realised the mistake and come back.

Jagdish was treated as villain and had a redemption arc jus cz he moved on from child bride.

I don't think jagdish was treated as villian as such its just that his treatment of Anandi was not right. If the child marriage was not his fault then it was not Anandi s either after growing up there was period between before he went to college where he is all lovey dovey with anandi. Then he goes away to mumbai to study and never looks back leaving anandi hanging. That was wrong. He had right to choose his life partner but he does not gets to ruin another fellow human beings s life. His intention might not br wrong but they way he handle the situation was

Jagiya was not a villain guy just someone who you call a brat impulsive immature man because i do remember there was this track where anandi gets kidnapped and jagiya helps her out even defends her

Jagiya married anadi as a Child but he consummate with her as an adult. So they were still husband and wife

He then goes ahead marries and impregnates gauri even before his divorce with anandi was finalized. That is something you called cheating. So yes both him and gauri were wrong there

Even anandi herself highlights hazards of child marriage in one of the sequence that was as much as i can recall the first time that shiv finds out about anandi s child marriage

1177158 thumbnail

The show is not bad but few people see the little girl and the man as a romantic couple .

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Anjalika01

I've seen bits and pieces of that show and it's not just wrong/creepy but historically speaking super inaccurate too...

Idk about other cultures but in India as far as I know such wide age gaps (twenty-two and TEN) were never normal/common...

And although child-marriage was definitely a thing, children were mostly married off to other children, not adults in their 20s or older 🤢 (not that that makes it right btw)...

And a girl of Bandita's age would never be sent to live at her sasural! What housework, cooking, etc. could such a small child do in those days (when all of it was 10 times harder)? How could she have children when she's a child herself??

That's why after child marriage everyone would wait till the "bride" and "groom" mature a bit, and then perform a ceremony known as gaunah, after which the couple would actually begin living together as husband and wife.

And it's not just this show that peddled this false idea of primary school aged girls going to stay in sasural... Balika Vadhu, and otherwise excellent film Bulbul are equally guilty!

Bold - Not true at all

That was very common too... Many great men have did it and non great men...

Rabindranath Tagore was 23 and his wife 11 when they got married.

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

And that child getting sexually assualted, even dying due to it happened, only was not talked about. Nothing was talked about, everything was hushed in those days until the influence of western media

Edited by BettyA1 - 3 years ago