Barrister Babu/ DT Note pg 5.

PangaNaLe thumbnail
Own Your Stories Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 3 years ago

Barrister Babu is a show currently running on Colors channel, where the lead couple is a result of child marriage.

The girl is 11 years old, while the boy is 22 years old. The show is set in pre-independence era when this was considered acceptable.

I first want to tell that I don't watch this show. But I've seen the promos while watching Bigg Boss.

The lead couple also came in Bigg Boss to promote their show.

So I don't have full idea about the relationship dynamics of this couple, except that the girl does consider the man as her husband and calls him "pati Babu".

Now you guys must remember the show Pehredaar Piya Ki.

It was also from the same production house, Shashi Sumeet Productions, and this show created a lot of outrage and controversy for showing child marriage between an adult woman and a young child.

There was so much outrage that the makers had to close the show after one month.

So what makes Barrister Babu acceptable to audience to not create any controversy and outrage, that it's running for almost an year?

While Pehredaar Piya Ki was forced to close down after a month?

PPK showed the marriage between an adult woman and a young boy, something which actually doesn't happen in reality. That still caused outrage.

But marriage between an adult man and a young girl still happens in some parts of India. It's a reality. So why this is considered acceptable?

Is it because they are showing it in pre-independence era, so it's okay because it's part of our history?

But they are still promoting child marriage in a way. Our ancestors were wrong, and we don't need to glorify it.

Maybe I'm completely wrong in my take because I haven't watched the show. I'm making my judgement just based on the promos.

So those who watched both Barrister Babu and PPK, could tell better why one show is acceptable while the other one is not.

Edited by Harley_Quinn - 3 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Because as far as I know(based on first few weeks) this show, there is no romantic relationship between the two. Guy married that kid not because of arranged marriage or something, but because he stops her wedding to a old guy, and is than forced by people to marry her.

The other one, was victim of its own PR, kinda like Padmavati.

Edited by MujheMaarjaneDo - 3 years ago
MOTHERHOOD thumbnail

BB is based on the life of a woman who became a barrister with the help of her husband in pre independece era. She was married off at the age of 10. So BB is somewhat based on a true event. The show ain't glorifying child marriage. There is not a single romantic scene between the leads. PPK ain't based on any true events and it is a story of today's time so people had a hard time accepting it.

FilmiDhun thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

Yes, I ve known about this show since it started and also wondered why there was no outrage about it like there was during PPK. Like Pehredar Piya ki in Barrister Babu also the marriage happens because the adult spouse wanted to protect the child spouse from other people. From what I remember in PPK also there was no romance shown between the leads (although the kid was shown to have a creepy crush on the girl- and there was some weird romantic undertone/background music put to their scenes probably- I don't remember clearly).

While there is no romantic relationship in Barrister Babu at the moment, I very well know how Indian soaps work. At some point in the storyline they will show a time leap when bondita will be in her late teens. Will the makers keep the relationship fully platonic then?? I think not.

Here is my prediction: then bondita will be in love with her husband and after a lot of reluctance from his part, they will unite as a couple (... like that serial Gulaal πŸ˜†)

I understand that it's acceptable since the kid is an adult now, but still doesn't remove the awkward factor of a romantic relationship between two adults where one took care of the other as a child at some point in time πŸ€”.

Edited by FilmiDhun - 3 years ago
Anjalika01 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

I've seen bits and pieces of that show and it's not just wrong/creepy but historically speaking super inaccurate too...

Idk about other cultures but in India as far as I know such wide age gaps (twenty-two and TEN) were never normal/common...

And although child-marriage was definitely a thing, children were mostly married off to other children, not adults in their 20s or older 🀒 (not that that makes it right btw)...

And a girl of Bandita's age would never be sent to live at her sasural! What housework, cooking, etc. could such a small child do in those days (when all of it was 10 times harder)? How could she have children when she's a child herself??

That's why after child marriage everyone would wait till the "bride" and "groom" mature a bit, and then perform a ceremony known as gaunah, after which the couple would actually begin living together as husband and wife.

And it's not just this show that peddled this false idea of primary school aged girls going to stay in sasural... Balika Vadhu, and otherwise excellent film Bulbul are equally guilty!

Edited by Anjalika01 - 3 years ago
oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

Originally posted by: Anjalika01

And although child-marriage was definitely a thing, children were mostly married off to other children, not adults in their 20s or older 🀒 (not that that makes it right btw)...

This bit, not true

Originally named Yamuna, Joshi was born, raised and married in Kalyan where her family had previously been landlords before experiencing financial losses. As was the practice at that time and due to pressure from her mother, she was married at the age of nine to Gopalrao Joshi, a widower almost twenty years her senior.[6] After marriage, Yamuna's husband renamed her 'Anandi'.[7] Gopalrao Joshi worked as a postal clerk in Kalyan. Later, he was transferred to Alibag, and then, finally, to Kolkata (Calcutta). He was a progressive thinker, and, unusually for that time, supported education for women.[8]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anandi_Gopal_Joshi

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage#History

Autumn_Rose thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: oye_nakhrewaali

This bit, not true

Originally named Yamuna, Joshi was born, raised and married in Kalyan where her family had previously been landlords before experiencing financial losses. As was the practice at that time and due to pressure from her mother, she was married at the age of nine to Gopalrao Joshi, a widower almost twenty years her senior.[6] After marriage, Yamuna's husband renamed her 'Anandi'.[7] Gopalrao Joshi worked as a postal clerk in Kalyan. Later, he was transferred to Alibag, and then, finally, to Kolkata (Calcutta). He was a progressive thinker, and, unusually for that time, supported education for women.[8]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anandi_Gopal_Joshi

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage#History

is the show based on Anandi? When I first ready Harley's post.. made me think of her!

There is a Marathi movie on this too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAS_hUTOJdY

Anyways back to the the topic: I haven't seen any Barister Babu episodes or promos, but Pehreydar Piya Ki was promoted heavily (banners and boards across the cities - atleast in Delhi NCR) - and if you watch the show - a 5th grader stalking and taking pics of a 18 year old, the romance between them.. its beyond cringe, it was uncomfortable to watch. Another important thing to note was the times that the two shows are set in, and the intent of the shows - what are they trying to show?

Autumn_Rose thumbnail

Originally posted by: Anjalika01

I've seen bits and pieces of that show and it's not just wrong/creepy but historically speaking super inaccurate too...

Idk about other cultures but in India as far as I know such wide age gaps (twenty-two and TEN) were never normal/common...

And a girl of Bandita's age would never be sent to live at her sasural! What housework, cooking, etc. could such a small child do in those days (when all of it was 10 times harder)? How could she have children when she's a child herself??

That's why after child marriage everyone would wait till the "bride" and "groom" mature a bit, and then perform a ceremony known as gaunah, after which the couple would actually begin living together as husband and wife.

And it's not just this show that peddled this false idea of primary school aged girls going to stay in sasural... Balika Vadhu, and otherwise excellent film Bulbul are equally guilty!

My maternal great grand mother was 11 years old when she married a 30 year old so..,not true πŸ˜†

Autumn_Rose thumbnail

Originally posted by: FilmiDhun

While there is no romantic relationship in Barrister Babu at the moment, I very well know how Indian soaps work. At some point in the storyline they will show a time leap when bondita will be in her late teens. Will the makers keep the relationship fully platonic then?? I think not.

Here is my prediction: then bondita will be in love with her husband and after a lot of reluctance from his part, they will unite as a couple (... like that serial Gulaal πŸ˜†)

I understand that it's acceptable since the kid is an adult now, but still doesn't remove the awkward factor of a romantic relationship between two adults where one took care of the other as a child at some point in time πŸ€”.

But then - aren't there many other shows with age gap between the couple? I remember Bandini - the girl was supposed be in her teens. Age gap is socially acceptable between two adults but s*x with a child is not.

Marrying off an 18 year old to 40 something - legal but still abuse? 'Consenting' but in reality have no say?

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

Originally posted by: Autumn_Rose

is the show based on Anandi? When I first ready Harley's post.. made me think of her!

There is a Marathi movie on this too.

Now that I think about it, maybe, a child married off young to man of progressive thoughts who encourages her to study and becomes something in lifeπŸ€” only professions and states varyπŸ˜…