Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aditi_X thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: GBSC

Very nice update .

Quite a lot of the backstory has been covered precisely .

Ishu was introduced as a vegetarian .

But is she an eggitarian? As Haagen Daaz has got only non-vegetarian ice cream ,which contains egg .

I say this because my family avoids ice cream from there on vegetarian days .

Or is ishu the kind who eats NV/ egg Incase of deserts as is common in many vegetarian homes .

This thought is actually bothering me .Did ishu have it for Ruhi’s sake ?

N when did Raman come to know about ishu’s favourite flavour ?

I assume that there must have been many parlours for having ice cream .What made ishra choose this one ?Did they decide over it together or was it Raman’s sole decision or ishraru have started eating out more often .Has ishu already changed a little with her diet for Ruhi’s sake .

Even though this may be a story of mature ppl getting united I’m actually interested in the process .

Thank you so much for investing in this story. Yes, Ishu is still a vegetarian. She hasn't changed for anyone (not Ruhi nor Raman). Honestly, I didn't know that Haagen Daaz has egg in their ice cream. I just looked up popular ice cream brands in India and randomly picked Haagen Daaz because it sounded cool (I live in the US). I'll keep this in mind the next time I write an ice cream scene with IshRaRu. I might go back and change the shop name to Baskin & Robbins or Havmor or something else.

In terms of strictness of vegetarianism, I'd say that Appa and Amma are very strict about it. They don't eat egg or even touch alcohol. When it comes to the next generation (Ishita, Mihika, Bala, Vandu), they are a bit more lenient about it. None of the Iyers eat meat, but Ishita lets Ruhi have eggs and meat because her father and paternal family does. Ishita herself wouldn't fuss about eggs if they were already present in dessert. But she doesn't drink alcohol. Vandu is the same. Mihika and Bala are more relaxed. They will have eggs if it is in dessert and they also drink alcohol sometimes with friends.

The purpose of IshRa coming to have ice cream was so that they could gently explain to Ruhi about the upcoming custody case together in confidence. Both Ishita and Raman had to do it together as co-parents and it is easier to talk about difficult subjects with kids in an environment where there were only them as opposed to all the other Bhallas and Iyers being involved. There is no particular reason why they picked this ice cream parlor other than it being close to their homes. Who picked the place is open to interpretation. Also, I wouldn't say that IshRaRu have started eating out together often. This is a sole incident where they brought Ruhi outside to divert her attention because the situation demanded it. Keep in mind that right now, Ishita and Raman are not fond of each other but are tolerating each other for Ruhi's sake. 

To answer your question about how Raman came to know of Ishu's favorite flavor: The scene starts with Raman ordering ice cream, right? Well, it can be assumed that before he ordered they must have driven there together and then picked a table to sit at. That is when he asked both of them what flavors they wanted. Think about it, he probably wouldn't have known Ruhi's favorite flavor either, right? So before the scene started, Raman asked IshRu what ice cream they wanted and then went to order. I remember from the show that Ruhi's used to be choco chip and Ishita's used to be black currant so I just stuck with those flavors in my story too. 

I hope this answers your questions. Keep 'em coming if you have more. I love with when readers get invested in my story like I am. 🤗

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 12

Delhi Civil Court - June 14th, 11 am

“We are gathered here for the temporary custody hearing of minor Ruhi Bhalla. The contenders are biological mother Shagun Arora and biological father Raman Bhalla. May the proceedings begin,” Judge Bakshi declared with such conviction that there was no doubt who commanded the courtroom.

The contenders in question were seated on opposite sides of the courtroom in the front row, Raman on the left and Shagun on the right. Shagun sat with Ashok beside her, and apart from a couple secretaries, their side was relatively empty. In contrast, Raman had the support of the big Bhalla family. Mihir sat beside Raman occasionally offering him some water or a snack, considering he hadn’t eaten anything since he woke up. Toshi and Omprakash Bhalla sat in the second row along with Pulkit and Simi who had arrived there with Ananya to support Raman. Rinki and Romi wanted to come too but their father forbade them from skipping class. They left reluctantly with the promise of coming during their lunch break, after their morning lectures were over and before their evening classes started. 

Ishita sat in the third row, away from the Bhallas, giving them space to be a family. Truthfully speaking, that was actually her excuse to isolate herself. Toshi and Simi had offered her a seat with them in the second row, but she declined. Amma and Appa wanted to be here to support her but she forced them to stay home with Ruhi. She was going to be called during the lunch recess by the judge and there was no reason for her to be here before then to witness her parents fighting in court. She even urged Mihika, Vandu, and Bala to continue with their jobs. She didn’t want anyone around her. She was going to lose the center of her universe today. Her world was coming off its axis. It would break her like nothing ever had, and she refused to put her family through such misery again. 

The proceedings began. Both lawyers made their respective cases. Shagun’s lawyer painted a picture of a poor helpless woman who had to let go of her baby due to circumstances but has now shown up to right her wrongs and take care of her daughter. With Ashok by her side, she had the financial footing to provide for her and the emotional support to take care of her. The focus of his argument, however, was Shagun’s motherly love. She, as the mother, had the biggest right on Ruhi and she, as the mother, would be the best for Ruhi. The judge seemed to buy every part of his argument.

Raman’s lawyer Pathak, claimed that unlike Shagun, Raman had his entire family by his side to raise Ruhi. Her grandparents, her aunts and uncles, and even the Iyer family. In terms of money, he was no further behind than Ashok. His business was among the top most in the city, if not the country. He has known Ruhi on a personal level for much longer than Shagun and so she was bonded with him. It was only right not to uproot Ruhi from the family where she has already found her home. 

Then, the cross-questioning started. Shagun’s lawyer pointed out as many flaws as he could in Raman ranging from his anger to his drinking habits. He questioned him in the witness box on how much time he spent with Ruhi, proving that he spent the majority of his time in his office and barely took out time for Ruhi. 

Pathak questioned Shagun on her decision to leave Ruhi in the orphanage when she easily could have left her at Raman’s doorstep. However, his questions were met with fake inaudible sobs rather than answers, and the judge had to step in and stop the questioning.

Once the lawyers were done, Judge Bakshi laid her pen down and began to think. She saw that financially both parents were on equal footing. Both also had a support system. Shagun had Ashok while Raman had his family. But at the end of the day, she had to evaluate both parents, not their supporters. Shagun had made her case very clear: she loved Ruhi and was willing to go any lengths for her. She saw it in her words and actions. She promised to love her and look after her. On the other hand, Raman’s priorities seemed to lie elsewhere. He spent way too much time at work and not enough with Ruhi. He hadn’t denied his anger or alcohol problems making him a bad candidate to be a parent. The decision seemed more than clear to her. Shagun should get custody. 

After years of being in the courtroom, Pathak was an expert in discerning the judge’s biases and picking up on who they would favor. And he could clearly see that Judge Bakshi was swayed against Raman. There was very little hope left for Raman. 

“Maine dono paksho ki daleelein sun li hai aur samajh bhi li hain. Lekin apna faisla sunaane se pehle, mujhe do logon ki statement leni hain. Dr. Iyer, who is the child’s foster mother, and the child in question, Ruhi Bhalla. Dr. Iyer, please present yourself in the witness box,” the judge ordered.

It was time. She had to go up there and physically give away a piece of her heart. She tried standing up but instead, Ishita felt the energy drain from her legs such that they couldn’t support her anymore. Before she lost her balance however, two arms came up behind and held her by her shoulders. Vandu akka and Bala jeeju. They were here. And even though she had asked them not to come, she couldn’t be more thankful to see some familiar faces. 

“It’s our lunch break and we’re free for a few hours, so we’re here for you Ishu,” Vandu said. “You can do this. I know you can.”

“Stay strong, Ishu. You got this,” Bala added.

As she found her balance again, Ishita took a deep breath and made her way to the front of the room. Shagun was cool as a cucumber. She was assured that Ishita would favor her. Raman’s face was indiscernible but through his eyes, Ishita could tell he was nervous to his core. 

Once she was in the witness box and took the oath to say nothing but the truth, the judge spoke to her. 

“Dr. Ishita Iyer, as the child’s adoptive mother, I want to hear your thoughts. Both parties here have been fighting for themselves to get Ruhi’s custody. I want you to speak on Ruhi’s behalf and contribute your opinion about where Ruhi would be the happiest and healthiest.”

“Your honour, I believe that Ruhi’s best interests lie in staying with her father and her paternal family. She is very close to each of them and has laid down roots. Uprooting her from the only family she’s known would be detrimental to her. They all love her more than anything.”

Both Raman and Shagun were shocked. The former pleasantly so, and the latter not so much. Neither could believe that Ishita had chosen Raman. Pathak breathed a sigh of relief. Their case was coming on track. But the judge was yet to be convinced.

“I understand that her grandparents and aunts and uncles adore her, but it is her father who would be responsible for raising her. Do you think Mr. Bhalla has what it takes? From what I’ve seen, his work is much more important to him than his child.”

“Your honour, Raman Bhalla isn’t the man to make great shows of emotion. But he will go to any length for the people he loves. And I can say without a shadow of doubt, that he loves his daughter. You might think he is too preoccupied with work but that is because he has been shifting his entire business from Mumbai to Delhi. The entire Bhalla family has shifted from their old flat to a new one that is right in front of ours just to be closer to Ruhi. What more proof do you want about his priorities? Trust me, he is a committed father.”

“And what about his temper? His drinking?”

Ishita was stumped here. She didn’t approve of that herself.

“Your honour, everyone has flaws. But Raman’s temper and his drinking has never posed a problem for Ruhi. I can attest to that.”

“How was your interaction with Shagun? She might not be bonded with Ruhi yet, but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have what it takes.”

“I’m not thinking about what Shagun and Raman want, your honour. I’m only thinking about what Ruhi needs. Shagun can definitely have a relationship with her but not full custody. And definitely not this abruptly. The truth is that she plans on sending Ruhi to a hostel in the near future. That is not fair to her. She’d be robbed of a loving family and emotional support altogether. My final statement is that Ruhi would be happiest with the Bhalla family.”

“Okay, Dr. Iyer. I have noted your statement. The court will now take a short recess for lunch during which I’d like to speak to Ruhi Bhalla. Is she here?”

“She is on her way with my parents,” Ishita replied.

“Perfect.”

The judge temporarily dismissed everyone for the lunch break. One by one, people filed out of the court and gathered outside. Raman, Mihir, and Pathak stood together while Mr. and Mrs. Bhalla sat on a bench. Ishita stood nearby with Bala and Vandu. Romi and Rinki were just pulling up to the entrance when they all arrived outside. While their parents caught them up with the proceedings, Simi and Pulkit took their leave to go home for Ananya’s lunch and afternoon nap. 

“Main Appa ko call karti hoon ki woh kahan reh gaye. Ruhi ko abhi judge se baat karni hogi,” Ishita mentioned. She dug through her purse to fish out her phone and dialed her father’s number only to hear the ringtone come from behind her.

She turned around to see her parents, Mihika, and Ruhi. 

“Mihika, tum kyun aayi? Don’t you have work?”

“Maine aadhi din ki chutthi li hain akka. Aaj ke din aap ko akeli thodi chodti?”

Fortunately, Mihika was saved from a scolding session from her big sister by the arrival of the judge. 

“Excuse me, Ruhi aa gayi hain kya?”

“Yes, she’s here,” Raman replied. “Ruhi, idhar aao.”

The little girl galloped to her father on cue. 

“Dekho, yeh judge aunty hain. Maine aur Ishimaa ne aapko samjhaya tha na, ki aap ko unse aaj baat karni hain? To woh aap ko bulaane aayi hain. Woh aap ko jo bhi puche, uska jawaab dena, thik hai? Bilkul darna nahi.”

“Okay papa.”

The judge put out her hand for Ruhi to hold and she grabbed it. But before she went inside, she glanced back one last time to her happy place, Ishimaa. Ishita nodded reassuringly at Ruhi whose frown was now replaced with a smile. She turned around and went inside with Judge Meeta Bakshi.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Judge Meeta Bakshi’s office - 12:15 pm

Ruhi was seated with the judge on a leather couch. She liked this judge aunty. She was kind and funny. She was nice enough to get a cheese sandwich and orange juice for her. Ruhi sat there munching on the sandwich as the judge slowly eased into conversation.

“Aapko sandwich kaisi lagi Ruhi?”

“Acchi hain aunty.”

“Aap ki favorite hain?”

She nodded.

“Hmmm. Aap ko aur kya pasand hai?”

“Barbie, coloring, Dadi ke haath ke chole bhature, aur… aur…” she tapped her finger on her chin deep in thought. “Aur yaad nahi aa raha,” she giggled.

“Koi baat nahi. Aap yeh batao, aap ko apni family mein se kaun sab se zyada pasand hai?”

“Mujhe sab log pasand hai, aunty. Mumma, papa…”

“Aap ko mumma pasand hai?” She was surprised to hear this considering Ishita’s previous statement.

“Haan. Mumma to sabse zyada pasand hai. Woh mujhse bahot pyaar karti hain. Woh bahot achhi stories sunati hain raat ko. Aur mujhe huggy kar ke soti hain.”

Bakshi realized what the confusion was now. By mumma, Ruhi meant Ishita, not Shagun. 

“Beta, main aapki Ishita mumma ke baare mein nahi puch rahi hoon. Main to Shagun mumma ke baare mein puch rahi hoon.”

“Nahi! Woh meri mumma nahi hain. Sirf Ishimaa hi meri mumma hain!”

“Accha, aap mujhe yeh batao, aap ki Ishimaa ke alawa aap ka favorite person kaun hai?”

“Papa mere favorite person hain.”

“Really?”

“Haan.”

“Aap ko apni family ke baare mein aur kya accha lagta hain?”

“Sab kuch. Tata, pati, dadu, dadi mujhse bahot love karte hain. Aur chitti, periamma, bua, periappa, chachu sab mere saath khelte hain aur masti karte hain.”

“Aap ko bahot maza aata hai?”

“Haan. Main phir Shravu aur Ananya ke saath bhi khelti hoon.”

“Woh kaun hai?”

“Shravu Vandu periamma ka son hai. Aur Ananya Simi bua ki daughter hain. Woh mere brother and sister hain.”

“Yeh to bahot acchi baat hain.”

“Judge aunty?”

“Yes beta?”

“Mujhe yahi pe rehna hain. Ishimaa, papa aur sab ke saath. Mujhe woh doosri aunty ke saath nahi jaana.” 

The pooling tears and pleading innocence in Ruhi’s eyes melted Bakshi’s heart. 

“Ok beta. Don’t worry. Aap ko hum leke chale aap ki family ke paas?”

“Haan.”

“Let’s go.”

Meeta Bakshi took Ruhi’s hand and led her outside to find her family. She now realized that she had been wrong in being biased towards the mother. Ishita’s statement, Ruhi’s interaction with Raman outside the court, the trust she placed in her father, and everything that Ruhi said just now forced Bakshi to think in a different perspective.

“Ishimaa!” Ruhi exclaimed when she saw Ishita. She left the judge’s hand and ran towards her to be embraced in a hug.

Delhi Civil Court - 12:40 pm

The time had come for the judge’s decision on Ruhi’s temporary custody. Everyone was on edge. Raman didn’t know if the judge was convinced that he deserved Ruhi. Shagun had no idea where the case would go now that Ishita’s statement had backfired. She also didn’t know what Ruhi would have said to the judge. Ashok sat there fuming at Shagun’s stupidity in assuming that Ishita was on her side. Ishita clutched Ruhi and held onto her trying to salvage the few moments that she could before she was taken away. 

Judge Bakshi wrote down her statement and addressed the courtroom.

“In light of new evidence, namely the foster mother’s statement and the child’s wishes, the court decides to grant temporary custody to the biological father Raman Bhalla. Permanent custody will be decided pending a review of at least three months. Please be advised that I will keep a close watch on the case. That means you, Mr. Bhalla. You have yet to win permanent custody. Use these few months to show the court that you truly deserve her. Court adjourned.” 

And with the strike of the gavel, the court had been dismissed.

The Bhallas and Iyers broke out into applause and celebration. Pathak turned around and hugged Raman. He was followed by Mihir and Romi and Rinki and his parents. The Iyers congratulated the Bhallas one by one. Through the corner of his eye, Raman saw Ashok and Shagun storm out with their lawyer following closely behind, and he couldn’t help but feel triumphant.

“Ishimaa, judge aunty ne kya kaha?” Ruhi asked Ishita. Seeing her family celebrate was reassuring but she needed verbal confirmation.

“Judge aunty ne kaha ki aap papa ke paas rahoge. Shagun mumma ke paas nahi.”

“Yay!!!” she screamed and jumped around. 

The noise grew so loud that the guard had to come in and usher them all outside. They made it outside all right, but the noise did not quiet down. 

“Oh meri Ruhi ghar aa gayi hain! Bhalla ji, hum is ravivar ko itni badi party rakhenge. Puri society ko bulayenge. Suna Romi, Rinki? Oh meri bacchi ghar aa gayi hain!!” Toshi was particularly over the moon after the judge’s decision. 

“Ha ha Toshi ji, zaroor,” her husband reassured. “Bahot bada jashn hoga. Lekin filhal to ghar chaliye?” 

It took a while, but eventually, all the Bhallas and Iyers were sent off towards home. Ruhi travelled with Toshi and Omprakash, while Romi and Rinki went off on his bike. Amma, Appa, and Mihika left together, and Vandu and Bala made their way back to their college. Ishita, Raman, and Mihir stayed back at Pathak’s request. He needed to talk with them.

“Whatever it is Pathak, please hurry up. I have to make it back to my office,” Raman commanded.

“Not at all bhai,” Mihir interjected sternly. “You almost lost Ruhi’s custody because of your misplaced priorities. Go home and spend time with her. I’ll take care of the office for today.”

“Mihir, boss main hu ya tu?”

“Mihir sahi keh raha hain, Raman bhai,” Pathak conceded. “This was one of the things I wanted to talk about. The judge is going to be watching closely. You have to make changes about your work, your drinking habits, and your temper. Spend more time at home. Ease on the alcohol. This time is crucial if you want to get permanent custody.”

“Fine. Mihir, you go to the office but I’ll be available by phone and email if you need me. I want updates every other hour. Do you get that?”

“Yes bhai, I got it.” Saying so, Mihir left for their office. 

“Anything else Pathak?” Raman asked.

“Yes, just one more thing. Like I said, this period of three months is crucial to get Ruhi’s custody. One of the court’s requirements is that Ruhi has to stay with the parent who holds custody.”

“You mean Ruhi has to move into the Bhalla house?” Ishita asked. 

“Yes Ishita ji.”

“Okay. I’ll start packing her stuff today. She should be ready to move in a few days. Anything else?” She kept her face as straight as possible even as her stomach flipped inside. It was real. Ruhi was leaving. 

“Nothing else. That’s all. I’ll take your leave now. Congrats once again Bhai.”

Once Pathak left, Ishita and Raman were left alone in a deafening silence.

“Tumhe ghar chod du?” Raman tried to make conversation.

“Nahi, main apni gaadi le ke aayi hoon.” 

Raman wasn’t used to a quiet Ishita. She either lectured or fought but she was never this quiet. Ever since she gave her statement, Raman had been wanting to thank her but couldn’t find neither the opportunity nor the words. Now would be the perfect time.

“Ishita…”

“Haan?”

“Actually I wanted to say…” he was interrupted by the ringing of his cell phone. It was his home phone. He picked up.

“Hello?”

“Raman puttar!” his mother spoke. “Ruhi tere aur Ishita ke baare mein puch rahi hain. Tum dono kab tak aaoge?”

“Main bas abhi aa raha hoon, maa.” He put his hand on his phone and asked Ishita, “Tum kab tak ghar aaogi? Ruhi is asking for us.”

“Mujhe abhi clinic jaana hain. I’ll be home by 5:30.”

He spoke into the phone again. “Maa, main abhi aa raha hoon. Ishita clinic jaa rahi hain. Woh shaam ko aayegi.”

“Thik hain, puttar. Jaldi aana.” And he hung up the phone.

“Aap kuch keh rahe the?” Ishita reminded him.

Oh yeah, that. He should probably thank her now. 

“Kuch nahi. Main abhi ghar jaata hoon. Baad mein milte hain.”

“Okay. Bye.”

Both Ishita and Raman made their way to their cars. While Raman drove away, Ishita was still digging in her purse for her keys.

“ISHEETA!” Shagun’s shrill voice almost made Ishita jump out of her own skin. She turned around to see Shagun fuming.

“Isheeta! Yeh tumne kya kiya? Tumne to mujhe assure kiya tha ki tum mujhe support karogi! To phir aaj Raman ke support mein gawahi kyun di?”

“Maine aisa kabhi nahi kaha tha ki main aap ke favor mein statement dungi, Shagun. Maine kaha tha ki main Ruhi ke favor mein statement dungi. Aur Ruhi ki bhalaai isi mein hai ki woh Bhalla family ke paas rahe. Aap chahe to visitation rights maang sakti hain aur Ruhi ke saath rishta bana sakti hain. Lekin custody is too big of a step.”

“Isheeta, main un Bhallas ke saath koi rishta nahi rakhna chahti. Agar tumne mujhe favor kiya hota to main khud Ruhi ki dekhbhaal karti. Uski acchi tarah se parvarish karti.”

“Waise hi jaise aapne apne bete Aditya ki parvarish ki? Use hostel bhej ke, apni family se door karke?”

Shagun was speechless. She stared at Ishita jawdropped. She had never anticipated that Raman would open up about their past. 

“Mujhe aap ki sacchai acche se pata hain. Woh forms aur brochures isiliye the taki aap Ruhi ko bhi hostel bhej sake. Aur woh main nahi hone de sakti thi. Sorry.”

Ishita finally found her key and drove off, leaving Shagun standing there infuriated. 

“This is not over Isheeta. I promise you. Iska jawaab to tumhe milkar rahega.”

Akash Ganga Society Hall - June 17th, 4 pm

The society hall was decorated with pink and purple balloons and streamers, all to Ruhi’s liking. Energetic Punjabi and Bollywood music played from the speaker system. A variety of spicy and sweet dishes were lined up along the side in a buffet style. After all, Toshi Bhalla’s granddaughter had come home for good. The entire society was gathered there to celebrate. Ruhi was the center of attention. She danced with Shravu, Mihika, Mihir, Romi, and Rinki in the middle of the hall. Her grandparents joined her occasionally as well. Toshi even managed to pull in Raman for a dance or two, even though he spent most of the party sitting alone checking his email and coordinating with his clients.

Amma, Appa, Vandu, and Bala were seated at a table with some vegetarian snacks that Toshi had specially arranged for them. While they were all happy for Ruhi and the Bhallas, they couldn’t find any joy in dancing with them. After all, they were worried sick for Ishita.. She had spent every spare second of the past few days either packing up Ruhi’s stuff or snuggling with her. She had even taken a break from the clinic to cherish as much time she had left as Ruhi’s mother. Nevertheless, despite her best efforts of coping with her loss, she was miserable. They had all tried their best to support her, but it didn’t seem to help. Even now, while everyone was downstairs celebrating, she was upstairs packing up the last of Ruhi’s things. She would be moving out tonight. 

“Amma, Ishu kaisi hain?” Vandu asked.

“Woh bahot dukhi hain, Vandu. Woh humse kuch share hi nahi karti. Kehti hain, she will be fine. I don’t understand, main usko kya bolu.”

Vishwa put a hand on his wife’s shoulder in an effort to ease her worry. “Madhu, tum zyada stress mat lo. Ishu ko thoda time do. Woh apne aap ko sambhal legi.”

Across the room, Mihika and Mihir were in a similar conversation.

“Mihika, I’m so happy for bhai! Unhe finally unke haq ki khushi mili hai itne time baad,” Mihir exclaimed.

“Tumhara bhai khush to lag nahi raha. Kab se apne phone mein ghusa hua hain.” Mihika nodded in the direction of Raman.

“Mihika, tum unhe nahi jaanti. Woh apni khushi nahi dikhaate lekin woh khush zaroor hain.”

“Yeah right.”

“Tumhe achanak kya hua hain?”

“What do you mean kya hua hain? Sab log yahan itne khush hain. Tumhe apne bhai ki jeet pe itni khushi ho rahi hain, lekin meri akka? Woh to haar gayi na? Ab unka kya hoga? Woh Ruhi ke bina kaise rahengi?”

“I’m sorry Miku. Maine woh to socha hi nahi. Kaisi hain tumhari akka? Kahan hain woh?”

“Woh upar hain. Ruhi ka bacha kucha saamaan pack kar rahi hain.”

“Tumhe unke paas nahi jaana?”

“Woh nahi chaahti ki koi unke liye pareshaan ho. In fact, she’s the one who sent us all down here to celebrate. She wants to stay alone. This is her problem, you see. She’ll take care of everyone, she’ll ease others’ pain, but she won’t let anyone help her. She’ll suffer in silence and hide her wounds until they’re either gone or just easier to hide.”

“She’s not too different from Raman Bhai in that manner. Bhai also refuses to let anyone else see his pain. So he hides it all under a mask. Do you want to go to your sister? Does she need help in packing?”

“No, she needs to do this by herself. She needs to pack Ruhi’s stuff and get closure for herself.”

Upstairs, Iyer house, Ruhi & Ishita’s bedroom

Ishita had packed up most of Ruhi’s clothes and toys the night before. Now, all that was left was her essentials. One by one, she packed up her things -- her toothbrush, her favorite hair comb with Rapunzel on it, her towels, her favorite blanket, and her coloring books and barbie dolls. Each and every object had precious memories attached to it that were etched into Ishita’s heart. The past five months flashed in front of her eyes like a flipbook. These five months had been the happiest that she had ever been. She was a mother to the most precious child she could have asked for. And she couldn’t believe that she wasn’t going to be her mother anymore. Her Ishimaa. It seemed so real and unreal at the same time. Her chest tightened at the thought of it but her mind refused to believe it was true. 

Convincing Ruhi had been the worst part. She and Raman had told Ruhi that she needed to move to Papa’s house after the trial, but she refused to budge. It took a lot of coaxing from her grandmother for her to even consider it. Eventually, Raman managed to convince her to move with him by saying that she stayed with mumma for five months. It was only fair that papa got to stay with her too. Ishita was happy to see Raman coming into his element as a parent without even realizing it. He and Ruhi would be just fine. She, on the other hand, maybe not so much. 

Bhalla/Iyer Residence - 9:30 pm

The party had left everyone exhausted, especially their tiny munchkin Ruhi. All she wanted to do was lie in bed and drift to sleep. But when she arrived at the door to her house with the rest of her family, she saw Ishita standing there with her bags. 

“Ishimaa, meri bags yahan kyun hain?”

“Aap bhul gaye bacche? Aaj se aap papa ke ghar pe rahoge na?”

“Oh yeah. Main to bhul hi gayi.”

“Chalo, hum aap ko wahan settle kar dete hain.”

“Ruhi, dadi ke paas aaja. Main tujhe tera kamra dikhati hoon.” Toshi picked her granddaughter up and took her to her own room. Ishita, Raman, Romi, and Rinki followed behind her with Ruhi’s luggage. 

Ruhi’s room was designed especially for her, exactly to her liking. It was painted in canary yellow and baby pink pastel colors, with a large poster of Rapunzel over her bed. Her bedding was white and pink to match the room, and she had her own desk filled with crayons and color pencils. Ruhi marveled at her new room even though her exhaustion was apparent as she stifled a yawn. 

“Ruhi, abhi aap so jao. Dekho, kitni neend aa rahi hain aapko?” Ishita said. “Main aap ka brush aur nightdress nikalti hoon.”

Soon enough, Ishita had changed Ruhi into her nightdress and tucked her into bed. For the last time, she told her a story and Ruhi drifted into the land of fairies and princesses. 

“Ruhi so gayi kya?” Raman asked her when she emerged into the living room. By this time, the rest of his family had gone to bed. 

“Haan. Bas abhi abhi aankh lagi hain uski.”

“Thik hain.”

“Raman, uska acche se khayal rakhna.”

“That I will.”

“Just check on her at night also. Woh kya hai na, woh apna left leg kick karti hain kabhi aur blanket uchal deti hain. To use wapas cover karna padta hain.”

“Thik hain. I’ll check on her.”

“Aur… aur woh kabhi kabhi khaane ke waqt bahot zid karti hain ki use vegetables nahi khaane. To use daatke khilana padta hain.”

“All right…”

“Aur woh bahot der tak soti hain subah. To use time par uthana padega warna woh raat no jaldi nahi soyegi aur uska schedule mess up ho jaayega.”

“Ok, I’ll…”

“Aur haan, use raat ko story sune bina neend nahi aati so you better learn some fables and fairytales… aur…”

“Ishita!” Raman said sternly. “Calm down. She’s going to be fine. We’ll take care of her.”

“I know, I know. Actually woh kabhi mere bina rahi nahi hain na, isiliye mujhe chinta hoti hain. Sach kahun toh, main bhi uske bina nahi rahi hoon. Woh to shayad reh legi mere bina, lekin main kaise…” Ishita couldn’t speak any further as she choked back on a brick of tears. She wasn’t strong enough to hold them in this time and let her tears flow down her cheeks. 

“Ishita…”

Before Raman could say anything, Ishita made a quick escape. 

Raman slumped down on the couch of his living room. When he saw Shagun and Ashok’s faces today after he won the case, he felt victorious. But all of a sudden the victory didn’t seem to have its appeal. He seriously doubted his ability to be a good parent. And he couldn’t help but feel responsible for separating Ruhi and Ishita, even if it wasn’t his fault. When he first met her, he hated the sight of her. He hated that she had more control over his daughter than he did. Because the last time a woman had control of his kid, he had lost his kid. Shagun had kept his kids away from him for no good reason other than to make him miserable. She had placed Adi in a boarding school and Ruhi in an orphanage. And then there was this woman, Ishita. She had the biggest hand in reconnecting him with his daughter even with the risk that she’d lose her. Yet, she did the right thing, ignoring her pain. He could be annoyed with her all he wanted, but that woman deserved respect. 

Ishita wiped her tears away and composed herself before she entered her home. It was a good call since her family was right there in the living room waiting for her. 

“Ishu, all ok na?” Vandu asked as she patted the empty seat next to her. 

“Yes akka. I’m ok,” Ishita replied and took the seat next to her sister. “Ruhi so gayi hain. She’ll be fine.”

“I’m asking about you.”

“I’m fine too. Don’t worry.”

“Vandu, we need to get going. Tomorrow is Monday. We all have to get up bright and early,” Bala said. “Ishu, are you sure you’re ok?”

“Haa jeeju, main thik hoon. Aap log jao. Dekho, Shravu ko to already kitni neend aa rahi hain,” she pointed to her nephew who was half asleep on the couch. 

“One minute. Bala, Vandu, mujhe aur tumhare appa ko ek baat karni hain sabse,” Madhu announced. “Vishwa, bolo.”

“Ishu ke liye ek rishta aaya hain.”

“Appa, no! Aap bhi? Maine bola tha mujhe shaadi nahi karni!” Ishita cried.

“Ishu, pehle sun to lo. Yeh rishta hume bahot pehle aaya tha. Aur humne mana bhi kar diya tha kyunki tumhare paas Ruhi thi. Lekin ab Ruhi chali gayi hain aur tumhe move on karna hoga. Woh log ab bhi yeh rishta karna chahte hain. Aur sabse acchi baat to yeh hai ki hum sab ladke ko bhi jaante hain aur uski family ko bhi.”

“Ladka hain kaun, Appa?” Bala asked.

“Abhimanyu Raghav.”

sreeu12345 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aditii

Thank you so much for investing in this story. Yes, Ishu is still a vegetarian. She hasn't changed for anyone (not Ruhi nor Raman). Honestly, I didn't know that Haagen Daaz has egg in their ice cream. I just looked up popular ice cream brands in India and randomly picked Haagen Daaz because it sounded cool (I live in the US). I'll keep this in mind the next time I write an ice cream scene with IshRaRu. I might go back and change the shop name to Baskin & Robbins or Havmor or something else.

In terms of strictness of vegetarianism, I'd say that Appa and Amma are very strict about it. They don't eat egg or even touch alcohol. When it comes to the next generation (Ishita, Mihika, Bala, Vandu), they are a bit more lenient about it. None of the Iyers eat meat, but Ishita lets Ruhi have eggs and meat because her father and paternal family does. Ishita herself wouldn't fuss about eggs if they were already present in dessert. But she doesn't drink alcohol. Vandu is the same. Mihika and Bala are more relaxed. They will have eggs if it is in dessert and they also drink alcohol sometimes with friends.

The purpose of IshRa coming to have ice cream was so that they could gently explain to Ruhi about the upcoming custody case together in confidence. Both Ishita and Raman had to do it together as co-parents and it is easier to talk about difficult subjects with kids in an environment where there were only them as opposed to all the other Bhallas and Iyers being involved. There is no particular reason why they picked this ice cream parlor other than it being close to their homes. Who picked the place is open to interpretation. Also, I wouldn't say that IshRaRu have started eating out together often. This is a sole incident where they brought Ruhi outside to divert her attention because the situation demanded it. Keep in mind that right now, Ishita and Raman are not fond of each other but are tolerating each other for Ruhi's sake. 

To answer your question about how Raman came to know of Ishu's favorite flavor: The scene starts with Raman ordering ice cream, right? Well, it can be assumed that before he ordered they must have driven there together and then picked a table to sit at. That is when he asked both of them what flavors they wanted. Think about it, he probably wouldn't have known Ruhi's favorite flavor either, right? So before the scene started, Raman asked IshRu what ice cream they wanted and then went to order. I remember from the show that Ruhi's used to be choco chip and Ishita's used to be black currant so I just stuck with those flavors in my story too. 

I hope this answers your questions. Keep 'em coming if you have more. I love with when readers get invested in my story like I am. 🤗

Loved the way u explain . 

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

A very nice and emotional update please bring Ishraru together quickly please update next part soon to know what happens next 

vidhyavikash thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Thanks for your long update

After such a long time gap , this beautiful long update was a blessing

So pls continue Ur update

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 13

“Abhimanyu?” Ishita exclaimed. “Matlab Mani? Mera bachpan ka dost?”

“Haan Ishu. Mani ka rishta aaya hain. Kuch waqt pehle uski behen ka phone aaya tha tumhari Amma ko. Tabse unki baatcheet ho rahi hain,” her father answered.

“Ishu, please is rishte ke baare mein dhyaan se socho kanna,” Amma implored. “Maine tumko pehle nahi bataya kyunki tumhare paas Ruhi thi aur phir tum uske custody case mein busy ho gayi. Lekin ab woh chali gayi hain kanna. Aur tumhe apni life ke baare mein sochna hai.”

“Amma, maine shaadi na karne ka faisla bahot pehle hi le liya hain. Ab woh nahi badlega.”

“Kanna, tum thoda time lo. Kuch dino ke liye dhyan se socho. Itni jaldbaazi mein, bhavnao mein behkar decision mat lo. Mani kitna accha ladka hain, hum sab jaante hain. Tumhara bachpan ka dost hai. Woh tumhari infertility ko leke koi problem create nahi karega. Aur shaadi ke baad tum uske saath ek baccha adopt kar sakti ho. Ek family start kar sakti ho.”

“You don’t get it, Amma. Main koi dusra baccha nahi adopt kar sakti ab. Ruhi hi meri beti thi. I can’t replace her. Not now, not ever.”

“Aiyo Ishu…”

“Ek minute Madhu. Main baat karta hoon,” Appa interjected. “Ishu, is baare mein hum baad mein baat karte hain. Kuch dino baad. Jab tumhara dimaag thoda shaant ho jaaye. Abhi sab so jaate hain. Thik hai?”

Ishita stomped into her room and slammed her door close. How could they? How could they possibly suggest she even think about replacing Ruhi? No. She would not let that happen. She was in no mood to get married and ‘move on.’ The only way she could move on was by indulging in work. That was her outlet. 

And so, that’s what she did. The next morning she woke up bright and early and left for her clinic. She worked until she lost track of time. In fact, Mihika had to call her in the evening to make sure she was okay since she hadn’t come home on time. All of a sudden, she understood why Raman was such a workaholic. He wasn’t dealing with losing his wife; he was trying to cope with being separated from his son. The same way she was trying to cope with being separated from her daughter. 

Over the next three weeks, Ishita began taking extra shifts at the clinic. She even offered to work on weekends and attend to any emergencies that came up. Being at home wasn’t appealing enough now that Ruhi wasn’t there. Whenever she happened to be at home, she kept herself busy. The meals she cooked were enough to feed a village. Whenever she cleaned, she scrubbed the floors and counters squeaky clean. 

Every now and then, she tried to get a glimpse of Ruhi from across the hall. But she restrained herself. Ruhi had to let go of her in order to mix in with the Bhalla family. Other than a few minutes of conversation, hugs, and kisses when she left for work and came back, she had little interaction with her. Even then, Ishita cherished the few moments she got with her little angel. 

On the other hand, Raman was having a tough time handling Ruhi on his own. He quickly found out that he knew nothing about her. Not her favorite colors, her favorite foods, her daily schedule, her fears, or anything else. His office regularly demanded his attention and he used it as an escape from his home, leaving Ruhi mostly to her grandparents. 

On Mihir and Pathak’s behest, Raman had significantly cut down on his work hours. He had most of his meals at home with Ruhi and his parents. But mingling with them was harder than he thought. Years of isolation could not be undone so quickly. He rarely spoke unless spoken to first, making the environment at home quite awkward. Apart from Toshi, no one had the courage to approach him on their own.

In the aftermath, Ruhi and Raman’s relationship seemed to deteriorate rather than flourish. Their interactions became robotic and mechanical. Raman made sure that she was eating and sleeping properly, and that her other needs were taken care of. But he couldn’t bond further on an emotional level. He seemed to have forgotten how. In one instant, Ruhi had asked him to narrate a story at bedtime. He rummaged through her storybooks and found a Sleeping Beauty book that she liked. He read through it in one go, and Ruhi complained that he didn’t read it as well as Ishimaa. Raman had been exhausted then and he lost his patience, ordering her to quietly go to sleep. Ironically, he couldn’t fall asleep himself that night. What kind of a victory was this? He won his daughter’s custody, but neither of them were happy. 

Luckily, the rest of his family managed to cheer up Ruhi. Romi and Rinki played with her after their classes. Simi came over regularly with Ananya. Toshi and Omprakash took her out to the park every so often. Raman thought that should be enough. But it wasn’t. For Ruhi missed her Ishimaa terribly and nobody could fill that void. The one person who could - her father - refused to gel with her. Her grandparents and aunts and uncles tried to keep her distracted as best as they could, but it didn’t work permanently. 

Bhalla/Iyer Residence - Friday July 5th, 7 pm

Ishita trudged up the stairs after an exhausting day at work. She had been on her feet all day performing surgery after surgery with hardly a minute to sit down. But the moment she saw Ruhi in the hallway, all her fatigue melted away.

“Ruhi! Aap yaha kya kar rahe ho?”

“Papa ka yeh paper ud ke bahar aa gaya tha. To woh lene aayi thi.” She waved the paper clutched in her hand.

“Aapne khaana khaya?”

Ruhi nodded.

“Kya khaaya?”

“Dadi ne rice aur dal makh… makh…”

“Dal makhani?”

“Haan! Woh banaya tha. Bahot yummy tha. Lekin mujhe aap ke haath ki idli khaani hain.”

“Ok. Jab main idli banaungi, to aapke liye zaroor bhejungi.”

“Aur Ishimaa, meri doll ki dress kharaab ho gayi hain. Dekho.” 

Ruhi handed Ishita her doll and pointed out the tear in the dress. 

“Oh no. Yeh kaise ho gaya? Koi baat nahi. Main two minutes mein fix kar deti hoon. Ok?”

“Ruhi! Kahan ho?” Raman hollered as he came outside. “Tum yahan ho?”

“Papa, aap ka paper fly karke bahar aa gaya. Dekho.”

“Lao, do mujhe.” He took paper from her hand. “Aur andar chalo.”

“Ok papa.” Ruhi ran inside on her heels leaving Raman and Ishita outside. 

“Ruhi ki doll hai na? Let me take it.” 

Raman reached out to take Ruhi’s doll from her hand and accidentally grazed his finger on her thumb. Zap! A current of static electricity bolted through them, and they sprung apart. What the hell was that? It was the middle of summer. Static in July?

“Nahi, Ruhi ne mujhe apni doll di hain. Actually there’s a tear in the dress, so I’ll fix it and give it to her later.”

“Okay. Fine,” he said before he withdrew into his house. Ishita rubbed on her thumb as she entered her flat trying to shake off the bolt of energy she felt. 

“Ishu, so what did you think about Mani?” 

Ishita, Mihika, Madhu, and Vishwa were all seated at the dining table having dinner in complete silence when Vishwa broached the subject. 

“Isme sochna kya hai Appa? Maine already mana kar diya hain.”

“Beta, kam se kam usse baat to karo. Tum dono already ek doosre ko jaante ho, acche dost ho. Isme bura kya hain?”

Ishita put her spoon down and ran a palm down her face. Should she entertain the thought? There wouldn’t be any harm in one conversation. Plus, she could finally get her parents off her back. They had been on this subject for three weeks now. 

“Thik hai, appa. Lekin sirf ek mulaqat. That’s it.”

“Ok Ishu. Abhi woh Turkey mein rehta hain. Tumhare paas uska number hai?”

“Nahi appa. Woh saat saal pehle waha shift ho gaya uske baad zyada contact hua hi nahi.”

“Koi baat nahi, kanna,” Madhu chimed in. “Mere paas uski sister ka number hain. Main usse tumhara number de dungi aur phir tum aur Mani video chat kar lena.”

“Periamma, periappa, we need to take things slow,” Mihika suggested. “I mean, agar yeh rishta tay hota hain to that means Akka ko shayad Turkey jaana hoga. Kitna door hain woh. Vandu akka aur Bala jeeju bhi humse itni door nahi the kabhi. Hum sab humesha ek hi sheher mein rahe hain. Pehle Chennai aur ab Delhi. Agar Ishu akka Mani se shaadi karti hain to unhe itni door jaana hoga ki hum shayad saal mein ek baar hi mil paaye. Shayad Diwali pe ya Christmas pe…”

The sudden creaking of the door caught their attention and all of them turned their heads towards the entrance. Ishita thought she saw someone’s jet black hair swooshing but she was too far away to tell for sure. 

“Kaun hai?” Madhu called. Vishwa got up to check if anyone was at the door.

“Koi nahi hai, Madhu. Shaayad hava se aawaaz aayi thi. Tum sab khaana khao. Main darwaza band kar deta hoon.”

Ruhi ran inside her house and threw herself onto her bed, sobbing uncontrollably. So this is why Ishimaa was avoiding her. She was getting married and leaving her. She just heard Mihika Chitti say that Ishimaa was marrying someone named Mani and leaving everyone. But she had promised Ruhi that she would never leave her. Why was she leaving? First papa wasn’t with her, now Ishimaa was going. Did they not love Ruhi anymore?

Her cries echoed throughout the Bhalla house and soon enough, her grandparents were at her bedside trying to console her.

“Kya hua Ruhi? Itna kyun ro rahi hain meri bacchi? Dadi ko bata to sahi ki baat kya hai? Kisi ne kuch kaha? Papa ne daanta? Kahin chot lagi hain? Bol na beta.”

“Nahi. Mujhe kisi se baat nahi karni!”

Despite their best efforts, Ruhi wouldn’t calm down. Rinki finally called Raman, who was in a video call, to try soothing her. 

“Rinki, dikhta nahi hai meri meeting chal rahi hain?”

“Bhai please, Ruhi achanak se itna rone lagi hai. Kisi ko nahi pata kya baat hain. Aap ko aana padega.”

After profuse apologies to his clients, he slammed his laptop shut and stormed into Ruhi’s room. 

“Kya ho raha hai yahan?!”

“Puttar, Ruhi kab se roye jaa rahi hain. Dekh na,” Toshi explained.

“Ruhi, itna kyun ro rahi ho? Kya baat hain?” 

No answer. Just incoherent sobs. Raman had zero patience right now. He went onto her bed and made Ruhi sit up. 

“Ruhi, aise rone se kaam nahi chalega. Use your words. Aap mujhe batao ki problem kya hai aur hum solve karte hain. Rone se kuch nahi hoga. Tell me, what is the problem?”

“Papa… Ishimaa mujhe… mujhe chod kar jaa rahi hain!” she sobbed. 

“Kya matlab?”

“Main apni doll lene gayi thi tab maine suna. Chitti keh rahi thi ki woh kisi Mani uncle se shaadi kar rahi hain aur bahot door jaa rahi hain. Mujhe chod ke.”

Ishita was getting married? And she didn’t even have the courtesy to let him know, Raman thought. If he had been angry before, he could be fuming right now. How could she do that? On second thoughts, why did he care so much? Because Ruhi needed her, that’s why. Because Ruhi needed her, that’s why. If it were just him, he’d be counting the days until she was out of his life.

He charged out of his house and banged on Ishita’s door. No response. He banged again. After what seemed like hours, Ishita finally opened the door. 

“Darwaza kholne mein itna time kaun lagata hai?”

“Main kitchen saaf kar rahi thi, isiliye haath dho rahi thi. Par baat kya hain? Itne gusse mein kyun ho aap?”

“Tum shaadi kar rahi ho?”

“Kya? Aap ko kisne bataya?”

“Ruhi ne. Use lagta hai ki tumhari kisi Mani naam ke ladke se shaadi ho rahi aur tum kahi door jaa rahi ho. Apne kamre mein ro rahi hai woh.”

Ishita’s eyes widened in realization. The whiff of black hair she had seen was Ruhi. She had heard their conversation. She immediately ran into the Bhalla house. Raman followed closely behind. Her amma and appa came too, hearing all the commotion.

“Ruhi, kya hua betu?” Ishita cooed at her as she tugged her into her arms. 

“Aap mujhe chod kar jaa rahi ho na Ishimaa? Isiliye aap mujhse milne nahi aati. Aur mujhse baat bhi nahi karti.”

“No betu, aisa bilkul nahi hain. Main aap ko chod kar kahi nahi jaa rahi hoon.”

“Maine aap ki aur Chitti ki baatein suni. Aap shaadi kar rahi hain aur kahin door jaa rahi hain. Aap door mat jao na? Mujhe aap ke aur papa ke saath, dono ke saath rehna hain. Aap papa se shaadi kar lo. Aur mere paas rehne aa jao. Please, Ishimaa!” 

Tears raced down Ruhi’s cheeks, and Ishita’s throat tightened and chin trembled seeing her plight. She couldn’t do this to her. The poor kid had spent her early years in an orphanage. She already had abandonment issues at such a young age. She couldn’t leave her at any cost.

“Ruhi, look at me. Suno meri baat. Maine aap ko kya kaha tha? Ki jab tak sky mein stars honge tab tak main aap ko pyaar karungi. Wahan dekho. Aap ko stars dikh rahe hain?” 

Ishita pointed towards the window and Ruhi nodded. 

“Bas to phir. Main aap se bahot pyaar karti hoon bacche. Aur main aap ko chod ke kabhi nahi jaaungi. Main hamesha aap ke paas rahungi.”

“Promise?”

“Promise mera baccha. I promise.”

Ishita wrapped her arms around Ruhi and stroked her head until she quieted down and fell asleep. She tucked her into bed and planted a kiss on her forehead. Once everyone had dispersed, she sternly told her parents to say no to Mani’s proposal. It was not happening. She wasn’t leaving the country much less the city if it meant staying away from Ruhi. And this time, neither Madhu nor Vishwa could find it in themselves to persuade her otherwise. It was final. Ishita was not getting married to Mani.

While the hubbub dwindled, Omprakash had his mind stuck on something Ruhi had innocently uttered. Her demand that Ishimaa get married to papa. Ever since Ruhi had moved in, he had seen her spark dim down. Staying away from Ishita was taking its toll on her. Raman was struggling to connect with her, still trying to find an escape in work whenever he could. Ishita was the only one who could heal the cracks in their relationship and bring them together. And so, the wheels of his mind turned. 

Raman’s office - Saturday morning, 7 am

“Thank you so much for understanding Mr. Tandon. My daughter was really cranky last night so I had to end our video call abruptly. I’m glad we could meet face-to-face today and iron out the wrinkles in our contract.”

Raman, Mihir, Pathak, and Amit Tandon were gathered in Raman’s office, bright and early, to finish up the meeting that ended abruptly last night. 

“No worries at all, Raman. I have two kids as well. I know better than anyone how things are with little kids around. I’m just happy that your daughter has come home for good,” Tandon replied. 

“Ab Ruhi kaisi hai Bhai?” Mihir asked.

“Thik hai. Woh bas Ishita ko miss karti hai.”

“Ishita? Isn’t that the woman who adopted her?” Tandon asked. 

Raman nodded. 

“It’s really cruel that she can’t be with her.”

“It’s how the law works, Mr. Tandon. If a biological parent wants and is capable of holding custody, then they get first preference,” Pathak explained.

“Neil, I know you’re married to my sister, but when you say things like that, it makes me question your decision of becoming a civil lawyer. Because if the law keeps Ruhi away from the only woman she’s called mom, then the law sucks.”

Pathak had no answer to that. The law did suck sometimes. 

“I’m in over my head with this kid,” Raman sighed. “I don’t know how to handle her or connect with her or sometimes even just face her.”

“I have a question, Raman,” Tandon chimed in. “Can’t you and Ishita raise Ruhi together?”

“That was the original plan. But then Shagun and Ashok showed up and the court decided otherwise. Now, I can’t risk sharing custody in case I lose it.”

“What if she moves in with you and helps out in raising Ruhi?”

“Tandon saab, aap London mein rehke kaafi kuch bhul gaye India ke baare mein,” Mihir teased. “Ishita is a Tamilian brahmin. She’s raised by traditional Hindu parents. Girls like her don’t just move in with other guys without marriage.”

Raman raised his eyebrows towards Mihir. “Tujhe Ishita ki upbringing ke baare mein itna kaise pata?” 

“Main Ishita ji ko nahi jaanta, lekin uski behen ko to acche se jaanta hoon na?”

“Matlab?” Tandon was confused.

“He’s dating Ishita’s cousin Mihika.” Raman explained. 

“Oh I see. Anyway Raman, I must take your leave now. I have to depart for London in a few hours,” Tandon said as he stood up and shook hands with Raman and Mihir.

“Bhai, main aap ko chod deta hoon. Besides, Trisha would like to meet you before you leave,” Pathak offered. 

Mihir left shortly after Pathak and Tandon were gone, leaving Raman in his office alone. It was Saturday, and apart from this meeting, he had no other appointments for work today. He should probably go home to his daughter.

The French Flavor Coffee House - The next morning, Sunday July 7th, 10:30 am

The waiter arrived and placed Raman’s black coffee and Ishita’s cappuccino on their table. They both picked their drinks and sipped in complete and utter silence. Normally, if they even faced each other, they managed to break out into a fight. But today the premise that had brought them in front of each other caused a strange awkwardness between them. 

Raman chugged down his black coffee and almost scalded himself. But his mind was so preoccupied that he barely noticed. Yesterday evening, his father had made the most absurd suggestion. Marriage to Ishita Iyer. The first thought he had was that his father had definitely lost his marbles. He could barely stand the woman! How could he get married to her? Impossible. But his father was very stern in his words and persuasive in his reasons. Ruhi needed both her mother and father. How bad of an idea could this be after all? It at least deserved to be entertained. So he agreed to meet with her and discuss the thought. 

Ishita’s grip tightened around her mug. She played with the loose tendrils of her hair that framed her face just so her hands had something to do. Marriage was the last thing on her mind ever since Subbu dumped her. But marriage with Raman Bhalla hadn’t even crossed her mind. Ever. But her father’s rigid stance last evening forced her to show up for this meeting. Apparently, Raman’s father had suggested the idea and her Appa was on board with it. But she was yet to wrap her head around the proposal. The only reason why she even bothered to consider this idea was for Ruhi. She could legally become her daughter if this marriage worked. 

“Are you actually serious about this Raman?” she asked, trying to mitigate the painful silence.

“I don’t seem to have much of a choice.”

“This is an insane idea.”

“It does have its advantages though.”

“What do you mean?”

Raman placed his coffee down, exhaled deeply, and leaned forward. 

“I talked with Pathak. He says that this would pretty much seal our chances of getting permanent custody. Think about it. Between a married couple with strong family support on one side and a girlfriend indulging in herself and a boyfriend busy in work and god knows what else on another side, who would a sane judge choose?”

“I see your point.”

“But let me make one thing clear. Please don’t think of this as a marriage. Think of it as a new living arrangement. We live in the same house and same room but only as Ruhi’s parents. Humare beech mein sirf ek hi rishta hoga ki tum Ruhi ki maa ho. That’s it.”

“Agar Ruhi ki baat hai to main taiyyar hoon. Waise bhi, mujhe pyaar ke liye shaadi karne mein koi interest nahi raha. Ruhi hi meri duniya hai ab.”

“Good. So we’re on the same page. Mujhe bhi yeh pyaar ki bakwaas mein koi interest nahi hain. To tum bhi mujhse aisi koi ummeed mat rakhna.”

“Mujhe aap se koi ummeed nahi hai aur naahi koi rishta banana hain.”

“To tumhari haan hain?”

Ishita opened her mouth to say yes but then faltered. There was still one secret that needed to be uncovered before they could finalize this ‘new arrangement.’

“Dekho, zyada bhaav khaane ki zaroorat nahi hain. Main koi maraa nahi jaa raha hoon tumse shaadi karne ke liye. Jaldi se apna jawaab do.” Raman was reaching the end of his patience.

“Mujhe shaadi se koi aitraaz nahi hain. Lekin hum dono haan bole usse pehle mujhe aap ko kuch batana padega.”

“Kya?”

Ishita took in a deep breath.

“Main kabhi maa nahi ban sakti.”

“What do you mean by maa nahi ban sakti? Tum already Ruhi ki maa ho.”

Ishita was taken aback at how effortlessly Raman said that. He said it in such an easy and routine manner, as if it were common knowledge. As if imagining the opposite would be ludicrous. 

“Matlab, main kabhi conceive nahi kar sakti. Kisi bacche ko janam nahi de sakti.” 

She went on to explain how, almost a year ago, she was rushed to the hospital due to benign tumors in her right ovary and left fallopian tube. How her fallopian tube had been ruptured and her ovaries had been damaged. How her six year long partner Subbu dumped her for her infertility. How she moved to Delhi with her family and tried to heal herself. And how she came about adopting Ruhi as a way of moving on. 

Unlike his normal predisposition, Raman stayed quiet throughout and listened. And with each word his respect for Ishita grew. The woman was more than she seemed. She had battled through so much, maybe even more than him. 

“I’m sorry about that,” he said, not knowing how else to respond.

“Thank you.”

“Isiliye main in sab jhamelo se door rehta hoon. Pyaar se sirf dhokha milta hain. There’s no use indulging in love.”

“Aisa kyun keh rahe ho aap?” she asked, scrunching her eyebrows in confusion. “If we go by your logic, then why read a book when it’s going to end anyway? Why do you watch cricket so much when there is no guarantee of your team winning? Why even enjoy life if it is bound to end one day?”

“Tumhare dialogue writer ke paise kaat diye hain kya? Itni ghatiya lines? Pak jaaye aadmi sun sun ke. Aur meri futi kismat, jo ab tum se shaadi karni padegi. Zindagi bhar yahi lecture sunte rehna padega.”

“Wow, so the pot calls the kettle black, huh? Aap jaise gussail aur akdoo Ravan kumar ke saath main kaise rahoongi yeh socho!”

“Tum jaisi paagal to kaise bhi reh legi. Lekin jab tum apni talwar leke chadhai karogi to muj bichaare ka kya hoga woh to maatarani hi jaane.”

“How dare you…”

Before Ishita could come up with a clever retort, her phone chimed. It was a message from Amma.

“We have to go home. Amma aur sab pareshaan ho rahe hain,” she said.

“Thik hai. Chalo. Aur ek baat main phir se clear kar doon. Yeh shaadi sirf Ruhi ke liye hogi.”

“I know. Sirf Ruhi ke liye.”

“Sirf aur sirf Ruhi ke liye.”

“SIRF SIRF SIRF RUHI KE LIYE.”

Edited by Aditii - 3 years ago
vidhyavikash thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Long long longgggggg and beautifulllllllll update

Actually ur update is like a drop of water in desert

Superb just no words to explain ur writing skills

It is full package

omsai24 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Emotional update part 12

Bhallas were in court ishita was there too she was sitting separate from bhallas as she wanted to give them privacy her parents sisters and bala wanted to come with her but she denied as she didn't wanted them to see her breaking apart shagun was confident she will get ruhis Custody proceeding started both lawyers presented their clients case raman was questioned about his drinking habit and not spending time with ruhi by shaguns lawyer he was silent shagun was questioned why she left ruhi in orphanage she was faked crocodile tears and got judge sympathy judge was going to give decission in favour of shagun but before that she asked ishita with whom ruhi will be safe ishita said with raman and his family she said shagun was about to send ruhi to boarding school and all judge asked ishita to call ruhi to ask her decision ruhi was brought judge took ruhi in alone and asked her ruhi said she want to be with ishra listening to her judge realized ruhi is happy with raman and his family she gave decision in favour of raman but this just temporary custody permanent custody will be decided after two months they will keep watch on raman bhallas rejoice the news ishita was sad as she was instructed to send ruhi to raman shagun was angry with ishita loved ishitas reply to her bhalla gave party ishita didn't attended she was packing ruhis stuffs she wanted to deal with her pain in alone poor ishita felt vad for her raman realized what she is going through 

omsai24 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Awesome update

Ishita got herself busy in work to distract her mind from ruhi she understood why raman is workholic her family was worried for her they asked her to get married to mani she was in no mood appa said they will discuss it later after lots of thinking she agreed to meet mani only once ruhi heard mihika saying ishita will go away marrying mani she thought ishra don't love her anymore raman is not able to get connect with ruhi so he stay away from her poor ruhi her grandparents asked her the matter she didn't said raman was called he asked ruhi she told him haha raman was fuming hearing that but what a excuse his mind gave its for ruhi he asked ishita she was shocked hearing ruhi heard that talk she promised ruhi she will never go away from her ruhi innocently gave idea to her grandfather ishra scene was nice they agreed for marriage ishita told raman about her infertility and her broken relationship ramans felt more respect for her 

Pls update soon

Maroji thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Beautiful update. This is one of my favourite stories. Cheers mate.