Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: sareg

The other day I saw a comic clip of Gandhiji lookalike on Youtube doing a pole dance and all, lot of people got offended, someone went overboard said you should die etc

I know there were some religious things for which humor is untolerable to some, A few weeks ago on comedy central they had a skit on Jesus, which if done on other religions figures would draw a lot of fire but did not.

Same case with racial humor, Micheal Richards caught a lot of flak for something very similar.

Dont all of us get that freedom to speak freely upon all topics?

why do people go to the extent of banning, calling for death, causing a huge outcry against that person?

Isnt this one of the things that we get with Democracy?

If Gandhiji were alive today, and if there is someone doing a skit on him, wouldnt he stand up and defend that person's right to voice their opinion?

Does someone doing a comic skit on Gandhiji or our religious ideals reduce their value?

In my opinion it is quite normal for someone to get offended, however anything beyond that is an overreaction

what do you guys think?

and what go for a coffee or ice-creamπŸ˜†..???!! what do you mean get offended... there is always a fine line bet' whats acceptable and whats not.and what one can do when they feel offended. its almost like saying when somebody attacks you physically ... its ok to feel scared hurt and cry out for just once anything beyond that it is over-reaction...πŸ˜†

qwertyesque thumbnail

Originally posted by: sareg

πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜›

mermaid_QT thumbnail
As long as your beliefs are in place, the mockery appears trivial. Repectable figures have attained an undelible form of existence through our faith in them. If comics do harm to that, we should ask ourselves "why something hurts, that is so insignificant in the first place!"

Artistic limits? Is there any in India?

M.F Hussain is only inspired by Hindu gods for his sad display of artistic talent🀒. He is well respected in India and sells his paintings in millions. We make a hue and cry when our gods are depicted in Sandals and T-shirts by foreigners.

qwertyesque thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maya_M

Artistic limits? Is there any in India?

Some shouldnt have limits... it depends on art form... isnt art a form of spontaneous expression? music, Painting, sculptures shouldnt have any limits.. IMHO...

M.F Hussain is only inspired by Hindu gods for his sad display of artistic talent🀒. He is well respected in India and sells his paintings in millions. We make a hue and cry when our gods are depicted in Sandals and T-shirts by foreigners.

You know thats where intentions count... Its gross in case MFH case since he is a non-hindu and doesnt have the same perspective.... but still is better off then westerners who dont have a freaking clue about Hindu religion besides making  fashion statements on Yoga and meditation....

And i am sure MFH is making millions not off those nudes...πŸ˜†

Edited by qwertyesque - 17 years ago
Swar_Raj thumbnail
We Hindus have always been touchy. I am not a Gandhi lover person. but yet I hated that video. There is some respect that they have earned regardless to their political games. May be if it was Atal Ji, (I persoanlly liked his Gov) Manmohan singh , Morarji Desai, Tau, or may be Rajeev, it may not have expolded. When you say in US peopele mock Bush and they enjoy...yes, but try such mocking for George Washington, Benjamin Franklin or Paul Revere, then see. Some figures are just above mankind. They have done so much for nation that you cannot mock them in any era. You can mock Bush and Manmohan but not the father of nation....my POV again πŸ˜›
but yes trying to take liberty to show your sick mind associating with such leaders...should not be tolerated. 😊
qwertyesque thumbnail

Originally posted by: Swar_Raj

We Hindus have always been touchy. I am not a Gandhi lover person. but yet I hated that video. There is some respect that they have earned regardless to their political games. May be if it was Atal Ji, (I persoanlly liked his Gov) Manmohan singh , Morarji Desai, Tau, or may be Rajeev, it may not have expolded. When you say in US peopele mock Bush and they enjoy...yes, but try such mocking for George Washington, Benjamin Franklin or Paul Revere, then see. Some figures are just above mankind. They have done so much for nation that you cannot mock them in any era. You can mock Bush and Manmohan but not the father of nation....my POV again πŸ˜›
but yes trying to take liberty to show your sick mind associating with such leaders...should not be tolerated. 😊

touchy!!!! i think we are more tolerant.than we are touchy...... 😊

Swar_Raj thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

touchy!!!! i think we are more tolerant.than we are touchy...... 😊

Qwrty what I feel or see is that We are more tolerent in following our dharam, we go lightly there   but any one bad mouthing God we get touchy. or it copuld be direct or indirect approach. Our tolerence defenately is better then others.

qwertyesque thumbnail

Originally posted by: egghatcher

thats cuz we firmly believe within us the age old dictum "durjana prathamam vandye" and we observe it too...... Westerners also come close to following it ..but sadly ......after  multiple visits to a shrink to get de-stressedπŸ˜†

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Swar_Raj thumbnail
I believe it is western part that blindly follows it. Durjana pratham vandey , tatah eva   vaddhum hantey πŸ˜›