AU story- Trials of Fire update page 13- 29th July

Phir_Mohabbat thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Private ward no 134, Saint Stefan's govt hospital, Madiwala, Mumbai

"I don't think he will survive." said one doctor, turning the page of a patient's report. The fellow doctor nodded at this.

"More than his health problem, his mental health is worse. Like he is living his life under some burden."

They both were talking for couple a minutes about the patient, and then realized it was break time. The doctor ordered the burst to give medication to the patient and both of them left for lunch.

The patient, who was till now sleeping, opened his eyes and looked around. Like every dying man, he also knew his time is going to be over, but he wanted a last wish to be fulfilled, a last burden to be left.

"Nurse." he called out in tiny voice and the nurse, who was about to push injection in his saline, looked down him.

"I want to meet someone, and you have to help me, Please." he begged, breathing heavily, "it's my last wish."

several hours later, same hospital

ACP Sameer Damsingh Rathore always had lead a extraordinary life. he belong to a family who was serving for the country's defence force from generations. his father-grandfather and more generations before that had been a part of army and everyone expected him to join the same, like his other male cousins. he surprised them all by joining police force. not that his family was not supportive, they were all patriots, and they wanted to serve this country, by any means possible. 

after joining force, he surprised everyone by his brilliance and courage. his family legacy made him famous in his intial academy days, people used to think he was a arrogant rich father's spoilt brat who joined this force only because to show off. his spotless record was a slap on those faces who didnt believe in his capability. then he surprised everyone by his choice of friends, he befriended such a person in academy who was his toughest contender, who's ego was bigger than this whole universe, a temper which can manage to destroy everything. they went onto become best of friends, again surprising everyone.

his life had changed drastically over the course of life. its again a surprise for everyone that once who was the prankster of academy but one of the record making student at the same time can be so heartless and emotionless in the present. everyone know the reason of this, but only few can guess it all correctly.

Today was another addition in "the surprising life of ACP Rathore" book. his day was going as usual, solving case, barking order to team, being at loggerheads with a certain person. in afternoon when he was cursing in his cabin about that person, he got a call from some govt hospital, that a patient wants to meet him. that was weird, he thought frowing as he had never met this person he was sure. his memory never failed him.

curiosity is really something. this curiosity managed to drag The chief of ETF all the way from ETF headquarters to a tacky smelly disgusting looking Govt hospital. he was not particularly fond of hospitals, and that too govt hospital. there is something about govt hospitals which is a complete turn off, and the yucky smell of medicine is a big part of it. he hide his face behind his hankerchief and walked up to the private ward no 134, still thinking who is this person and why he wanted to meet him.

he walked inside the room and was dissappointed. the patient was sleeping. he saw the face of patient, age approx 60+, his face was more wrinkled than his age, his hair were all white. it looked as if he was under great stress.

he stood awkwardly inside the room, thinking if he should come back later, and the nurse had just opened her mouth to say something, when the patient opened his eyes.

"Rathore sir?" he managed to say in breathless whisper. he had acknowledged him, the peaceful small smile was the proof. he then turned his eyes on nurse, silently telling her to leave them alone. the nurse did so, closing the door behind her.

"I didnt recognize you." Sameer said sitting on the stool beside the bed. the old man smiled in reply.

"you are an important person, I dont expect you to remember a home guard."

Home guard, Sameer thought curiously. he still didnt have any idea what a home guard have possibly any work for him.

"I dont have much time." said the old man, adjusting himself on bed, "my time is going to be over soon, and I have to tell you everything."

"I dont . . " Sameer had only opened his mouth, but he continued to speak as if he was in a trance.

"I have to tell you everything. I dont have much time. this burden is killing me. its because of my sin, sin of past. if I had opened my mouth back then . . . "

"I will tell you everything, Rathore sir." the man looked at him in such a strange way that it sent shivers down his spine.

3 days later, DIG office

"I had managed to speak with DIG of Bangalore." said DIG as he handed over the file to Sameer, "and he had agreed."

"Fantastic!" the latter said happily, and the DIG smiled. he knew Rathore from his academy days, when he used to be the ultimate prankster cum genius. this small gesture made him remember that old Sameer, "Sam".

for Sameer, it was not only a happy gesture. he was hugely relieved too. he was not sure if DIG can do this, and this was very important for him. he cant do it without . . .

"I still dont know why you need her, Rathore." DIG's voice brought him back to real world and he looked at him, "she had left force 2 years ago. she is undergoing counselling. she is totally unfit for department."

"trust me sir, she is perfect for this job." Sameer answered, and the confidence was enough for DIG. he sighed, not wanting to ask more about it cause he surely not getting any answer.

"She will arrive tomorrow. I dont have to say it, of course, seeing your history with her, "DIG said and Sameer gave a wide grin, (if his team mates have seen him smiling like this they surely would have got heart attack) "still doing my job. its your responsibilty to make her feel comfortable. she must be out of practice, considering she had left force years ago, so it again fall on your shoulder to guide her if she is stuck anywhere, got it?"

"you got it sir." he got up, and saluted him, the smile still on his face.

R POV

Mumbai, the city of dreams.

For me, it was more like "the city where I had lost everything." my dreams, my life, my desire to live life, everything.

I snapped out of it as I heard the airport taxis hurrying toward the arrival passengers, burganing with them for fare. maybe I am stuck in the same place, but for the rest of the world, life goes on. its like sea, a constant flow of water, always hustling and bustling, full of surprises and always continuing. it doesnt stop for anyone or anything. as long as human life exist on earth, there will be thousands of flight which will land on Mumbair Airport, lakhs of passengers will come out or deport every day, and airport taxi drivers will continue to burgain with passengers for fare.

"Need taxi, madam?" asked one taxi driver to me and I nodded my head in positive. he took my luggage and i sat inside the cab, heading for my destination.

Riya Mukherjee. I am bengali, as my surname says, but not from Kolkata like most people expect me to be. my home is in Bangalore, Dad had left Kolkata years ago because of his job. he is the best parent anyone can ever have, and i am so lucky to have him. every child make sure their parents feel proud of them, but am not sure if he is proud of me. I had hardly done anything to make him proud, but he wont ever say it. he is too good to me.

the car rushed through the busy roads of city and I pepped outside. keeping both my elbows on the window, I looked outside, the wind made my hairs totally messy, but I didnt care. it must be a dangerous thing to do, my head can get smashed up anytime by some passing by truck/bus, it didnt made me scare. the city's tall never ending building held me captive.

I am not new to this city. I had completed in this very city my school and college education. I knew every passages, every monuments and every fast food stall of here. when I had left, I was totally hollow, a strong emptiness engulfed me, but coming back didnt do any good too.

I still dont know why DIG sir sent me here, in Mumbai. I had left police department 2 years ago, I am unfit for job, I am undergoing councelling. I have no possible idea what good I can do to my department, but it must be important, as DIG sir himself called me and told me to go to Mumbai asap. so here I am, feeling very much curious and uncomfortable to be here. if I can, I could have run away right now, though I know running away didnt do any good to me all these years.

I pulled my head inside the car and started to play with my ring. I often do it, sometime even absent mindedly. it help me to think with full focus, its ironical, because this ring is one of the reason of distraction. I chukled at this.

I had arrived my home, the quarter DIG sir had provided me to stay till i am here and called him as soon as I wheeled my suitcase in my room. he gave me a address and told me to go there tomorrow and meet the chief there. he said its urgent.

I cut the call and looked at the address. ETF office. I had heard about this department, one of the premier crime fighting departments of this country. I still have no idea why I have come here to meet the chief of ETF.

I hope I will get my all answers tomorrow.

A POV

Why cant these juniors just shut the hell up? Whats with their constant gossiping, whispering and giggles? From where these people get this extra energy for gossiping? And where is our dear darling boss, the ultimate epitome of discipline, the chief of ETF to teach them about manners? If I contradict him, or just raise my voice he jump on my throat, but I am the only exception, wow!

I was trying very hard to not to yell on them and keep my focus on this current case. To be honest it didn't held my attention, nothing do anymore. All I want to do is to run away from here, beat up some jerks to pulp or just punch the bag in my hotel room to lay off steam. There is a constant driving force inside me, and it didn't help me to know I can do nothing about it!

I could not take those whispered giggles and talking anymore. I had just opened my mouth, about to slam the file on table to add more force for my scolding, but something draw my attention.

Their talking, actually.

My ears are too good, and it was no hulk- ish task to hear the conversation going on between the ammunition expert, the IT chief, the forensic expert and the commando of team from some 10 feet away from my chair. I fixed my eyes on file, not seeing what the hell is written in it, adjusted my poker face, while concentrating on their whispers. The words held my attention were "New officer" and "recruitment".

Aisha, the ammunition expert, who had joined some 10 months before in team, kept her head so low that it was almost touching Shree's, the IT expert of team. the curly haired guy was saying something very excitedly, and Chotu, the commando of team, and Liza, the forensic expert's frown deepened as he spoke.

S: i am 110% sure, guys. it is a new recruit.

A: how come Rathore sir didnt say anything?

L: specky, you saw any information about the recruit?

C: hope its not another male. already Rathore sir and Arjun sir (he turned his head slightly to me and gulped. for some reason it made me want to smirk). . .

S: its a girl. she was in Bangalore police department, but left job years ago.

L:haainh? what the. . .? if she had left then why recruiting her to ETF?

A: i still dont understand why rathore sir didnt say anything about it?

C: he must have thought to give us surprise!

(other three including me rolled our eyes at his statement)

L: specky, if Rathore sir come to know you had went through his personal papers he will chop you off.

S: i am sure Aisha and Chotu wont spill anything, but not sure about you! besides i didnt want to see the papers, the file fell down because of me so. . .

A: nobody will say anything.

C:i am excited for this new recruit. some distraction in this too boring office. . .

L: what is your 11.30 wali's Number? let me call her and inform her 11.30 wala is excited for new female recruit.

C: Liza i was just joking!

A: an ex officer who had left force? pretty interesting choice as a recruit.

S: come on! she must be good, its ETF recrutiment we are talking about!

they continued to talk among each other, and i tear my ears off their convrsation. 

so new recruit? pretty interesting, that too a girl. i am not a MCP who dont have faith in a woman's capability, but a ex officer who had left force for whatever reason doesnt sound like good choice, and besides, why we need recruit anyway? and why Rathore didnt inform the team? Shree had found the file in his cabin that surely mean the recruit is finalised. this secrecy thing doesnt make any sense.

whatever it is, we will soon find out. for some reason, i am having a feeling something big is going to happen, and i have been hardly wrong about it.

what i was thinking? the capability of woman? a distant memory threatened to surface in mind and i supressed it, in reaction a more powerful combination of anger and hurt overpowered  my mind. i had to let go off this.

i slammed the file on table a bit too loudly and the juniors looked at me, gulping, preparing themselves for my wrath.

ETF office, 10 am in morning.

Dressed in formals, Riya Mukherjee came out of her car, staring at the office for some seconds, before closing the door and walking toward the office. she signed in the register, went past security checkings and headed for stairs.

she have claustrophobia, thats why she cant use lifts without throwing a fit or sometime falling unconscious inside it. the main office was in 3rd floor, and she had pretty good practice of climbing stairs, so in no time she was standing infront of the entrance, behind the glass door of ETF office.

she stood outside for some seconds, eyeing the inside activity. everyone was doing something or other, some were busy in computers, some were busy in phones, some were busy in talking but that didnt look like time pass gossips. the atmosphere was very serious, and she had left this kind of atmosphere years ago.

you are not here for staying, she reminded herself and mentally slapped her head for being so tensed for no apparent reason. she again started to play with her ring, a symbol of nervousness, took a deep breath after calming herself down, and pushed open the door.

now the activity had reached her ears too. she prepared herself to meet the Chief of here and walked toward receptionist, asking her about the chief.

"Rathore sir will be here in some minutes, Ma'am."

though she nodded at the answer, the surname, Rathore, did something to her. once upon a time she used to know a Rathore, and even he was in police force. she licked her lips in nervousness, praying not let this Rathore to be THAT Rathore.

She stepped aside from reception and looked here and there, silently searching for this Rathore. her mind was constantly telling her to calm down dont be so hyper active, but what she saw next moment was enough to make her mind shut up instantly.

she was sure as hell her Specks, which consist -2.5 power, dont influence her eye sight this badly that she have to see Arjun Rawte in ETF office as result.

she cant mistake it. it was him, for real, no chance of hallucination. its him, obviously. the girl with whom he is talking, she is nervous, a sign of how of a good intimidater he is, also she is slowly turning into red, another sign that his ruggedly handsome look doing something to her. he is being no nonsense, as usual, his eyes looking at her so intently that Riya was thinking how come there is no hole on that girl's face by his intent look! his stiff shoulders, as if he is going to fight in a war in afghanistan and getting himself ready, a sign of his strength, both emotionally and physically. his slightly messy hair, ah those hairs, they dont ever stay in place properly. his aviators, hanging like that through his shirt, those 2 buttons open in front, that bangle in left wrist, and of course, his jeans . . . some things doesnt change at all. the only difference of his appearence was his clenched jaw, the eyes that is glaring at something, and that gun which is tucked in his waist.

Riya was so busy to observe him from head to toe (or in some language checking him out) that she didnt realise when Arjun Rawte finished his conversation with Neha, the assistant of Shree, and she went away blushing furiously to herself. of course, its him we are talking about, so its impossible someone is constantly seeing him as if she cant ever see him again properly and he wont realise it. soon enough, he felt someone's gaze on him and he turned, looked here and there, then spotted. . . and he froze.

he didnt even think in his wildest nightmare that he will see HER in this very office. of course, it was not like she was dead, or away from India, or this planet. she was in India, very much alive, there was chances of their meeting but he didnt want to know all these. he had mentally thought he wont see in this life Riya Mukherjee ever again in his life, or he had wanted so. too bad, she is here, right infront of him, with that smile that is screaming "Unbelievable" from every centimetre. she is also surprised to see him.

first question, what the hell she is doing here?

second question, why she is smiling? the last meeting between them, it ended pretty much everything between them, so there was no chance of smiling.

third question, to hell with all this! i am angry with her and hate her!

as his mind registered this last sentence, mostly the word, "hate" his stunned stare changed into angry glare, a "Rawte Wrath" glare. the person who will receive this glare will surely go to hell or heaven as per their karma on earth. his mind is so hyper active to track the word, "Hate." of course it will be, some past 10 years he is over using this word in his mind. he used to hate some 2 best friends, that south indian Neighbour who used to say Hindi in irritating accent, that Khadoos academy's security guard and some others 10 years ago. now, he hate everyone, everything, this planet earth, including himself, of course. 

she was so busy to check him out, or see him properly in other word that she had not realised that small smile that is still on her lips. the traitor, our heart, it always do something that is completely opposite of what we want to show the rest of the world. she should throw a glare back, or maybe run straight to himalaya in fear, the smile should the last thing she should do, but when had heart listened to the mind? its his own master, and it is very happy to see him, it didnt matter that they parted ways on bitter note years ago, or he hates her.

as the reality of the situation hit the mind, the smile vanished in a flash of second. her eyes widen in shock, my opened in O shape. small drops of sweat started to form on her forehead, though the full ETF office was AC-ed and inside the temparature in 20 degree hardly. her inside heart+ mind temparature can put Rajasthan in shame.

she turned so suddenly that she had to balance herself. she didnt really see where she was going, and in result she banged straight into someone.

"What the. . .? RIYA!" the voice changed from irritation to delight, and she found herself staring to a very pleased looking Sam, correction, Sameer Rathore infront of her. before she can make out what the hell is going on with her, or she is haaving a bad case of hallucination, or who's face she saw in morning that she is having such a weird day, he engulfed her in a bone crushing hug, right infront of everyone, on the entrance of ETF, shocking the living daylights out of everyone.

The office went deadly quiet at the same time. everyone was staring at the "Couple", the girls mouth was in big O, some people dropped files and papers, the Canteen fellow who give everyone tea dropped his empty tray causing the glass to break. some girls, which had crush on this handsome looking chief, their heart shattered in million pieces. the men stared at the chief out of jealous, thinking their chief managed to get such a cute girl friend! the gossip girls- boys were looking at each other, tonight its going to be surely their discussion topic during drinks.

Shree, for the first time in his life, had heard his office going quiet all of a sudden for no apparent reason. he peeped outside his lappy, and for the first time didnt go back to Lappy for the whole freaking 20 seconds. 

Chotu stopped eating his burger and didnt realise the ketchup is spreading on his elbow and all the way down to his white T shirt.

Liza, who is not particularly fond of finger licking during food, forgot to give Chotu lecture about manners and throw him a tissue!

Aisha had a mix feeling of curiosity and shock. she was surprised that whole office giving such a weird reaction, for gods sake he is a man, he must have a special friend, he can hug a girl, what so big deal about it? 

Arjun narrowed his eyes, feeling a weird kind of thing inside himself. the hug is missing another 2 person in it. one is gone, forever, and other, or to be more precise, HIM, he is not going to be a part of it, ever. not that he want to. . .

He stared around the office, everyone fixed in their places, not even blinking. someone can mistook it for a paused video. his eyes meet Aisha, and both of them coughed.

the reaction was instant. everybody went back to their work, trying very hard not to stare at their chief and this unknown girl. barely some seconds had passed, but for everybody else it felt like minutes, maybe hours too. the chief now detached himself from the unknown girl, smiling so widely that the skin near his eyes were wrinkling.

"I am so glad to see you." Said Rathore and in response she tried to smile, still confused and dazed over everything. she tried to clear her mind about earlier things, now concentrating on this man infront of her.

"You, here?" she asked in barely audible voice. he gave her a look like "Are you kidding me?"

"i am the chief of here."

"oh," first shock. she should have done some research about the place she was coming. she knew the chief was a Rathore also, but didnt know the very same Rathore, "ok. cool." she shook her head, amusing Rathore, and asked, "so i am here to meet you."

The amusing look was gone from Rathore's face. this was the rathore the people here know him to be, cold calculative and a officer. she saw the transformation happening so fast that she could not believe her eyes.

"I need to talk to you." He said in urgent voice, then gestured toward a way. she went toward that way, and he followed back. before vanishing infront of the whole office behind the glass walled Cabin of Chief, they both turned, to meet the same person's eyes they thought they will.

Arjun Rawte.

"Let me get this straight." Said Riya confusedly, frowning, "you asked about me to DIG of Bangalore?"

"actually Raghu sir did." Rathore answered and her eyebrows raised, "He is the new DIG."

"and," she processed the new information, "you recruited me in ETF?"

"yes." he confirmed.

they both were inside his cabin for past 20 minutes. the initial minutes passed in how are you, how is life going and blah blah blah. nobody dared to mention academy, or Rawte in conversation. several minutes passed in silence, thinking in mind what to ask and what not, what should ask and what should not. it was not like they had been friends from years, best of friends. so many restrictions, so many doubts, so many boundaries, so many thinking about what to talk and what not! it was suffocating.

"You know that i had left Force 2 years ago, right?" she asked and he nodded, affirming.

"i am of no use for you, i am sorry." she sighed, got up from her chair and walked some steps, leaving the cabin.

"Its about Roshni."

his words made her stop in tracks. her eyes filled with tears for the dead friend of hers, but she gulped that quickly. she was very good in hiding tears or sadness, it only take several seconds of eyes closed and some breaths. she stiffed her shoulder, a style she picked up from Rawte when she need to strengthen herself for something, and turned toward him.

"Its about her murder case." he elaborated a bit more and the words had her full attention.

Some days earlier, private ward number 134, Saint stefan's govt hospital, Mumbai

"i will tell you everything, rathore sir."

"tell me what?" Rathore asked, and the man took deep breaths.

"I dont think you should talk more. it will affect your health." Rathore didnt want to make his health worse, but the man on bed didnt hear him.

"my time is ending very soon, sir. i have to tell this before i die, or else i wont be in peace."

Rathore didnt interrupt him anymore. he himself was curious what this man is going to tell him.

"Sir, i was security guard in his. . ." the man coughed, "his house."

"who's house?" asked rathore as he helped the man to have some water but the man didnt take any of it.

"Arjun Rawte. Arjun Rawte's house."

Rathore's mind was hyper active at once. something about Rawte? 

"I was there when he, he came there." the man's eyes were wide with fear, his whole body was shivering. even Rathore felt the scary sensation inside him, still he managed to ask, "Who?"

"Sikandar." the man said in quiet voice, and the world for Rathore stopped.

"He is not a myth sir, no, No!" the man nearly yelled and Rathore got back his attention, "he is very much real. i had seen him myself."

"you saw him?" rathore's eyes widen, with shock and fury.

"yes, yes i saw." the man nodded, his whole body shaking with fear. Rathore went totally quiet as the man continued, as if he was in a trance.

"he entered in rawte sir's house, with several men with him. he shot the guard who was there with me in duty. his men shot me and the other security guards. he then came near me, put his foot on my forehead and moved me, to check if i was alive or dead. i was slowly going unconscious, so he assumed i was dead."

"my eyes opened in hospital after days." the man's cheek was flooding with tears and rathore clenched his jaw, as if he is going to break something, "the news were showing about Rawte sir's wife's killing. i thought to tell about Sikandar, but who will believe me?" the man looked at rathore madly, "every other guards died in that shoot out. i feared about my life, about my family. what if Sikandar send his men to kill us? but still, i should have come to you. you would have believed me. it is too late, but i had to say, i had to . . ."

"did you see his face?" asked rathore, his teeth clenching together.

"No." the man said in breathless whisper, shaking his head, "I didnt. i just saw his. . . tattoo."

Rathore's head snapped to him, "what kind of tattoo?"

"a dragon tattoo." he said, "i am making its drawings from ages."

"can you show me?" Rathore asked urgently. the man looked at him as if he gone mad.

"i dont have much time, Rathore sir." he answered, a strange calm smile on his lips, "its in my house, in my room. there are so many."

Present time, ETF office

"the man died some 3 hours later after i visited him." Rathore finished his telling as he stared hard at the concrete floor, "I went to his house and got the drawings of tattoo."

"from past 2 years we are all thinking Rawte is chasing a shadow, that it was some other criminal who took his revenge on him, but no." Rathore paced upside down in front of Riya who was totally quiet after hearing this all," he was right. he was always right, and i was a fool! a fool not to believe him, a fool not to trust his instinct! i should have, he was never wrong, was he?" he smiled sadly, his voice choking with each word, "it was my fault too. i am responsible along with him in her death."

"Dont." she said in strong voice, "just dont."

he didnt say anything in reply, just shook his head and continued pacing up and down. Riya sighed, closing her eyes and running her fingers in scalp, then pulled her own hair, as if giving punishment her hair for some unknown crime. she took several breath, and asked, "so what you want from me?"

"I want your help in this case." Rathore spoke in clear voice, the earlier self pity long gone.

"you know this is not going to be easy, right?" she said and he looked at her in reply.

"I didnt ever said its going to be a piece of cake." he answered, looking at her with confidence, "i know this is not easy. you must be thinking a officer who had left two years ago her job and a chief of ETF is not the exactly great team in this whole world, but we have to try. i didnt have anyone else for help."

his words touched her heart, in the right place, "of course, i will help you. i will do everything it takes to reach the bas***d."

"Thats exactly my champ!" he said in merry and raised his hand for a hi5. it was out of practice for both of them, still she raised her hand and slapped his, earning a smile from him in response.

"So, are you in for ETF?"

"Yes."

"welcome to ETF. Hope you have a pleasure stay." the hi5 changed into hand shake and they both give each other a serious look.

"i think we should celebrate." Liza nudged Aisha pointing through the glass wall of discussion room, as Rathore sir along with the new girl came out of his cabin.

"and for what?" asked Aisha rolled her eyes and went back to her file. Liza made a mock sympathetic face.

"its ETF heart breaking day, girls only." she answered, and earned another eye roll from Aisha. liza stood up dramatically from her chair, sighing sadly, "today was a very unfortunate day for every girl of this office who had a crush on the dearest Chief Rathore sir. we just came to know he had a GF. so, lets join hands my fellow heart breaking girls, and got drunk to mourn about it."

"Drama queen." muttered Aisha and at the same time Shree and Chotu entered the room. Shree made a face seeing Liza, and asked rather rudely, "why are you always here, Ms Forensic? why are not you in the ground floor in your little lab? dont you have any bodies to slice open?"

"no specky, i am short in bodies." answered Liza, "if you give permission, can i slice you open?"

Chotu giggled at this comment and Aisha smirked. the day is never complete till they hear these two bickering among themselves. its like they are still in college or university, not in office!

"No, thank you very much!" exclaimed Shree slumping on the chair, "by the way, why are you two celebrating?"

"cause we had a heart break" replied Liza, getting back to the drama queen mode as Chotu watched her amused, "by our very own, Rathore sir, who was never ours. now we cant even drool on him, his GF will do some black magic to keep him safe from our eyes. how unfortunate we are! what sin we had done to deserve this kind of punishment my lord?"

"I knew you had a crush on rathore sir," muttered specky as Liza looked stunned at this observation, "you used to oggle at him whenever he was near you."

"ooh, specky watch something else too other than his lappy." remarked Liza and Shree adjusted his specks to hide his embarrassment. he composed himself, and looked at Aisha narrowing his eyes, "but you too, Aisha?"

"me what?" Aisha asked being defensive.

"he meant you too, err, on rathore sir?" asked chotu and Shree gave him a silent thanks. Aisha eyed her eyes on these three, her eyelobe shifting from shree to liza to chotu, and rolled her eyes.

"You guys gone completely mad." she remarked and went back to her file, but before she can even read one word from it, Shree snatched it away.

"What the?" Aisha shouted in shock and looked taken aback as the three eyed her as if she is a murder suspect. Chotu even did a Rawte style, crossing arm over chest and poker face, and Aisha gulped.

"Guys?"

"we want answers baby." whispered liza, her eyes still narrowed and other two nodded.

"Honestly, what makes you three think like that?" counter questioned Aisha and the trio looked at each other, confused.

"Err. . ."

"exactly!" pointed out Aisha, "listen guys, he is our boss. i respect him a lot, he is a great human being and a boss, but nothing more than that." she explained, "and guys, its not a good thing to date your boss, is it?"

"now we dont have any chances too, Girl." said Liza sadly, and shree scoffed, "whatever, but i still want you to meet tonight at our regular place. i want someone to be there when i get drunk and mourn about my broken heart."

"you got it Ma'am."

the conversation of the fantastic four halted all of a sudden as the discussion room suddenly banged open, and entered the typhoon personified Rawte sir, looking furious about something as usual. he had barely reached his regular seat, when the door opened one more time and Rathore along with new girl entered the room.

"I want you all outside, right now." said the chief in his usual voice, which was neither too soft nor too hitler-ish. everyone nodded, got up from their seats and walked behind him, everyone except Rawte, of course. he also followed the team after a while, and saw everyone in the whole office gathered, all's eyes were on the chief.

"Everyone, may i have your attention please?" started Rathore and everyone looked with more attention to him, "I have an announcement to make."

"This, is," he poined toward, "Ms Riya Mukherjee, Criminal psychologist. she will be joining us from today itself."

everyone clapped and murmured among themselves. so chief's GF will work here from now on? interesting.

"guys," spoke the chief again and the murmur- clap died down, "i will hope you will welcome her with open arms, and make her feel comfortable."

he ended the speech and everyone come forward, introducing themselves to the new recruit and shaking hand with her. Rathore stepped aside from her, smiling a little. he had got what he wanted, not everything should go like he want it to be.

''She is the new recruit?" Rathore met with the cold angry voice and he closed his eyes in frustration, but the very next moment snapped open his eyes and turned to him as he heard the word recruit.

"I am very tempted to ask how you know about recruit, Rawte," he answered, as if challenging him and saw with satisfaction that he fumed more, "the answer is yes, she is the new recruit."

"are you shitting with me?" rawte spoke through his gritted teeth.

"trust me, i have better things to do." rathore turned to leave but the former didnt let him. he walked fast and stood right in front of him, blocking his way.

"you cant do this."

"too bad, i just did." answered Rathore, now getting angry, "and i am still the chief here, so leave me the things what i can do or i cant."

"If she stay here, i will quit." Rawte threatened him, but tch tch, that was a bad move. Rathore took a step toward him and both of them were facing each other directly. several people looked at it and gulped. maybe today is the day when these two volcano will explode.

"If you trying to threaten me, Rawte, i have to burst your bubble and say i dont give a damn to it." Rathore spoke every word very calmly and it had great impact behind it, "you need this department, not the other way around, so keep your shit together and get the hell out of my way."

"I dont need this department." answered Rawte. rathore smirked, widing his eyes more as if trying to make a hole on his face.

"You are quite mistaking then." he said in that same cold calm voice, "just because Raghu sir requested you to join this office does not mean you are the most wanted man of this force. before you came, things were going on perfectly fine here. even if you are not here, we would have been perfectly fine, at least i didnt have to answer the medias and high authorities about your out of law ways to solve cases. you may think yourself as the one man army but thats surely not the reality. you need team, you need help. that is why sir sent you, that is why you are here."

"I dont need any damn help." Rawte's temper was now reaching the top level.

"i pity you. you wont ever learn, will you?" the smirk had vanished from Rathore's face too, "you wont be successful in your aim till you learn about team work, Rawte, and accept reality. keep saying same things every time over and over wont make it reality, samjhey, ya samjhaoon?" he used his own signature line on him.

"as far as she is concerned," rathore's jaw harden, "stay the hell away from her. i am warning you, Rawte. she wont ever complain about you, but if i ever see you trying to do something to her, then mark my words, i will make sure you pay for it. and always remember one thing, apart from my family's big name, i have pretty much power too as a chief."

and with that Rathore walked away, shoving him off from his way. Rawte bore hole behind him, the people sighed in relief as no volcano exploded today and all were safe. a pair of deep brown eyes observed this scenerio too, her beautiful eyes filled with sadness and she could not help but feel herself a big reason between this two's enemity in present time. she played with her ring out of nervousness, chanting a mantra in her mind over and over again.

she is here for some real work. she wont let anything else to effect that.

anyone, maybe?

Later in the night in ETF office

"here is your coffee." rathore handed Riya over her as usual black coffee and made a slightly bit weird face as she took a sip. she observed him staring at her and asked in confusion, "what?"

"i still cant understand how can you drink that bitter liquid." he answered and shook his head. she smiled, taking another sip.

"Ok, so what we got?" she asked and both went back to the case in hand. Rathore handed her over a paper, on which there was a tattoo of a dragon spitting fire.

"this was the sketch which i found from the security guard's room." started Rathore as he looked for a while in the paper, then taking a sip from his own normal sugery coffee, "i searched in the entire police record for any criminal or any sign which is related to this tattoo, mostly between the time frame from 3 years till now."

"i didnt get anything. but found something else in the place." rathore now handed over her another file and she picked it up, turning the pages, "i searched about the important cases Mumbai police were handling in that time span, or to be more accurate, Rawte was handling that time." Rathore paused for a while, sighing, but quickly composed himself, "and found one. Rawte had once busted a very big consignment of illegal arms. this earned him a lot of praise and attention, you can say it was his claim to fame case."

"what happened in that case?" asked Riya not getting his words.

"The people he arrested, none of them opened their mouth and said a word about where that arms were going, or coming, or who was the seller. he tried every trick, torture, emotional pressure, soft speaking, everything, but no use."

"so you think . . .?" said Riya and he nodded.

"exactly! back then, we all were thinking there must be a big underworld Don behind it. we didnt even imagine the existence of any person named Sikandar. Sikandar was always a myth, a shadow. there were so many unexplained things which had happened in crime world, and everyone think this Sikandar was behind it all, but none of them had a prove about his existence."

"I sometime wonder if the security guard had imagined Sikandar or he was in real." said rathore, questioning his own decision, "was i fool to believe a man who was dying and had a worse mental health? was i a fool to give myself false hope, or to drag you?"

"Sameer." Riya got up from the chair and walked upto him as he looked at her, "maybe we are chasing a shadow. maybe in the end it will all turn out a myth, but we have something, and we cant overlook it, can we?"

he didnt answer, so she continued, "you were always a practical man, Sameer, and i know its hard to believe something which we have no proof. but we have something, and we cant overlook it! you were the office who investigated HER murder case, and you reached a dead end, a very first and only unsolved case of your life. you also think there was something in it, right? you believe it deep down, thats the reason you called me here, or digged deep down in Arjun's career." she winced internally as she took his name. she was not used to it yet, and not sure when she will be. she shoved off her internal turmoil, and focused on him.

"Are those people still in custody?" asked Riya and Rathore shook his head, taking sharp breath and going back to his cold calculative mode.

"no. someone bailed them out, and since then none know where are these people. as if they had vanished from the face of earth."

"their family? friends? anyone?" asked Riya impatient, "there had to be someone."

"i had sent my informers to find out about them. hopefully we will be able to know something."

they gave each other nod and sat back on the table, leaning on the edge. they both were in their own world of thoughts as they sipped their coffee.

"Thanks for staying." said Rathore. she didnt say or do anything in reply.

"people say everything which happen in our life happen because there is something good behind it." he chuckled darkly, "i want to tell them our story and ask what good it did to us."

she stared at him right back, not knowing what to say. he was right, as usual.

Next day, ETF office Discussion room

Riya was early today in office. when she had arrived none was in here, so she picked up a file which was lying on table and started to read it. she thought it must be the latest case the team is solving, a murder case of 30 year old housewife in strange circumstances.

she was so busy to read the file that she didnt realise when time passed and slowly the office started to fill. her concentration broke when the discussion room's door opened and the ammunition expert, Aisha, if she can remember correctly, entered.

"Good morning, Ma'am." said Aisha, a little bit surprise seeing the new recruit, Riya Ma'am, already in the room. Aisha herself is early today to collect the forensic file from Liza, she was not expecting anyone else to be here.

"Please, call me RIya." said Riya, being embarrassed when the former called her Ma'am. Aisha nodded her head, and took the seat opposite her.

"Good morning, Aisha, right?" greeted Riya back and Aisha'a eye brows rose in surprise.

"yes, it is." she answered, "you remember everyone's name?"

"i try to." Riya was embarrassed again as Aisha stared at her impressed. she still remembered when she was new here, so many people, so many names, she used to keep messing around with names and surnames.

"Nice memory." Aisha complimented and Riya gave a awkward smile, thinking in mind this conversation will shift to something else.

"Can i ask you something?" asked Riya after some awkward silence between these two ladies, and Aisha nodded her head.

"Why everyone is staring me in a weird way? is it because i am the newbie here?"

Aisha laughed out loud, confusing her more. then she composed herself, tried to be apologetic.

"I am sorry, i was not laughing at you." Aisha answered and Riya looked at her, curious, "its just everyone saw you and Rathore sir hugging each other, and they think you guys are couple."

"err, we are not." she answered, frowning, "we just met each other after ages, thats it."

"oh leave it." Aisha brushed aside, "its just Rathore sir's personality. he is always so authorative, not at all emotional, always very composed, calculative about each and every move, so it was a shocker for everyone that he was hugging someone infront of whole office. and as, the person was a girl, everyone thought its a "Couple" thing." Aisha air quote the word, rolling eyes, "he is also a man for heavens sake! he can hug his friends, i really dont understand whats so big deal about it."

Riya smiled as she heard Aisha talking. for everyone else, Sameer Rathore is a epitome of perfection, who, if go a little out of character for some things, force to rise eye brows of many. But this girl, she is different. for her, its ok to be little OOC. she see him as a human being, not as a machine, and Riya liked it. she liked Aisha Kapoor instantly.

The discussion room suddenly opened and entered two men, the curly haired IT expert, Shreekant, and the man with a ironic name, Chandrakant. when first Riya had heard their names she had thought these two are brothers, thanks to that  -Kant attached in their names. it turned out Shree is bengali like her, and Chotu, the nickname for Chandrakant, was a Maharastrian.

"Good morning, Ma'am." they both greeted and Riya again repeated the same line, "Please, call me Riya. Good morning, Shreekant, Chotu."

"I have never heard someone calling you with full name, Shree." whispered Chotu to Shree, for some reason it was amusing to him. Shree narrowed his eyes to him and Chotu shrugged.

everyone settled down and started to talk about the ongoing case. Aisha informed that forensic reports will come anytime now and Shreekant made a face. Riya had a distant feeling that Shreekant don't like the forensic expert of team, Liza, as she is coming up from the weird disgusted expression on hs face.

"She will be late, looks like." Said Shree rather too mockingly, "you two went to celebrate, right? she surely got drunk and will be late to wake up because of hang over."

Aisha was worried. they two had went for drink last night, and Liza obviously got drunk. she took out her phone, calling Liza.

Riya was very curious to know why Aisha and Liza were celebrating, but she didnt ask. she is newbie, not a best friend that she will ask them about it, it can be a personal thing.

The door opened once again and everyone looked up, hoping it will be Liza, but it turned out to be the typhoon personified Rawte sir.

"Great, here come the Khadoos Rawte." whispered Shree to others. though Riya was already sweating seeing him, her lips twitched in amusement hearing the name.

"today Liza is gone." said Chotu sadly. Rawte sir hates late comers and he is very good at shouting.

Rawte entered the room, his gaze fixed on the particular person sitting directly opposite to his usual seat. he didnt say or do anything, just sat on his seat, put his one foot on another and leaned back, unabashedly staring at HER. his stares is proportional to every other action he do, and Riya felt like he is staring at a criminal for murder information. she bit her lip in tension, trying to concentrate on the file, now playing with her ring, removing and wearing it slowly.

the others gave each other a look about the weird action of Rawte sir, but of course none dared to open their mouths. Shree sent a msg to Chotu, keeping his phone down to his lap, and Chotu opened it, his mouth twitching in amusement.

S: See, how Khadoos is staring at Riya.

C: i think Rawte sir was bit by "Love at first sight" bug

S: Then we can see triangle, boss!

C: any doubt? Chief, Khadoos and one haseena!

S: my money is on Chief.

C: then i pick up Rawte sir.

They give each other a look, nodding a little to confirm the bet. none saw them, of course, as the other three person in the room was busy in their own world.

Aisha's eyes were shifting from her phone to send msg to Liza, to Rawte sir. she was feeling weird that why on earth he was staring at Riya like that, like none else is in the room. the action is so out of character. deep down she felt Riya and Rawte sir might know each other from earlier. she observed another thing too, since the time Riya had entered ETF, Rathore sir behaved OOC, though its perfectly fine, still OOC, then Rathore and Rawte sir had a whispered verbal war in front of all, right after Rathore sir announced her joining ETF, now Rawte sir is staring at her. somehow its all feel connected.

Other than solving cases in his out of the box ways, Arjun Rawte really liked when the criminal cower under his gaze, sweat profusely, look here and there out of nervousness. Rawte come from a family of huntsmen. the inside predator-gene of him feel very satisfied when the target show signs of weaknesses infront of him, and in no time spill all the beans.

now he is staring at the girl sitting right infront of him. he is very much aware that he is not alone with her in this room, that the three other person thinking him as a lunatic for staring at a new girl like that, but since when he cared about people? right now, he is enjoying himself as he is boring hole into her, and in response she is looking fixedly in her file, playing with the ring, a too shiny for her, easily drag attantion on her hand. all these are sign that she is very nervous under his gaze. he was feeling very pleased inside, a rare smirk about to come out, but the smirk never really did. all of a sudden she stopped playing with her ring, took deep breath, and looked right back in his eyes.

ouch, that hurt male ego badly. Rawte had never thought she will dare to look at him right back, but of course, he had forgot the line about the capability of woman. her eyes were as cold and detached like his, but there was no anger. as if she looked back at him just because he did so.

Shree, who along with Chotu was till now observing this staring competition, suddenly felt his phone vibrating. there was a msg from Aisha, he frowned and looked at Aisha who was suddenly very busy in her phone.

A: 1-1 this round.

S: no doubt. and here i thought she is a normal girl.

A: what do you mean by normal? not staring back at Rawte sir? then she is surely not.

S: she looks like your sister from another mother in staring contest, Miss dabbang.

Aisha narrowed her eyes as she finished reading Shree's msg and he shrugged in response.

as Riya stared right back to him, she started to count from 0 till 100. she just hoped something happen before she reach 100, cause she cant continue this staring contest more than that.

she didnt want to challenge him in his own game. this was his own way to intimidate others, and she was the victim here. she was composing herself, trying to divert her attention from his, but suddenly she remembered her Councellor's words.

"Running away from problems dont lessen them, Riya. you have to face them, look right back into them."

so she was just doing so, looking right back to the problem. her mind was telling actually he was not the problem, she was creating problem in his life by her mere presence, but she cant back off now. someone had showed too much faith on her and she cant let him down, not him.

her numbers were ending slowly. the cold calm composed mask was about to slip.

90, 91, 92 . . .

someone, something, just interrupt us, please.

95, 96, 97. . .

Please, God.

98. . .

"Guys! Oops, sorry Arjun sir."

the much awaited interruption entered in the form of Liza. she was greeting her friends, and didnt realise Rawte was in the room too.

the concentration for both party in staring competition broke. Arjun gave a too calm stare to Liza, and unknown to himself Riya sighed in relief. she sent quick thank you to Liza for interrupting at the right time, cause her composed calm mask was about to slip anytime now, and she could not let anyone see that, certainly not HIM.

the trio, Aisha Shree and Chotu gave each other a look, feeling hugely relieved by the entry of the fourth addition in their group. Shree was never so happy to see Liza, and her eyes widen seeing his reaction. the atmosphere went too heated for them, though the other two persons were just staring at each other. even Chotu, who dont dissect each and everything like others, felt they were under some kind of danger which left just because Liza entered, and he felt she was just in time.

Liza was oblivious to everything that was going on before she entered. she asked silently others about it, and they gave a look right back, saying they will talk about it later. the door opened again, and to Riya's utmost relief Rathore entered the room.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

devildiva21 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Dude....this is awesome...

Sameer and Riya investigating rosh's case ...

Loved sam rii dynamic and how come arjun knows her...

I think sam had been Rii's mentor...do let me know if I am correct on this guess or not. ..πŸ€”

And man I love aisha in your stories...such a cool and calm person not jumping to conclusions right away...

And arjun rii staring contest🀩😏 kesa jhatka laga arjun ji...

Can't wait to read more on Rii's past, her relationship with arjun and Sam...and then the trio investigating about Sikander...

Continue Soon

Edited by devildiva21 - 3 years ago
plmzaq thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Awesome start

Love it

Continue soon

BitterBerry thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Resewa 

Is it Err???πŸ€ͺ

After so long man πŸ’”πŸ˜Ž

Ankitapawar512 thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Nice update. Eagerly waiting for next part continue soon

BitterBerry thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Lol. You always make me go off track from the main couple and I start shipping someone else.  Like I said before my SamIya love is back to heaven  β€οΈ I love their friendship and there isn't anything I'd enjoy as much as their scenes. So glad to read this πŸ˜› felt refresher after a long. 

Btw I am saving it before you know what πŸ˜†

Add a NOCOPY though 

Mdmadona thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail

Why riya is scared of arjun???

What happened in past?? Why she is in depression???

Why arjun hates her??? Can't wait for the answers

Staring game was nice 

So riya is going to help with sikky case nice

Rathore is protective of riya nice

Awesome update 

Cont soon 

AnjuRish thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Wow looks like another angsty romantic thriller story

I like u r heroine characters ...so many layers 

All characters in u r stories have a great graph