Views

Users

Frequent Posters

FlauntPessimism thumbnail
ICC T20 CWC 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: attiya1.3

I don't know what to read ....that's why I ask

If a parent gave up you and you are adopted by someone else, than you are not entitled for that throne? I guess that's what defines Karn behaviour than!

Illegitimate children of the Queen without the knowledge of the king and born before the marriage are not eligible for the throne

That does make sense right.

Ranjali thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Lonewalker.

Modern literature & tv adaptations have whitewashed & glorified Karn a lot because that's what sells. πŸ˜† We love heroes who rise from the dust with his struggle & mettle & Karn has been modified tremendously to fit in this character sketch. I personally believe Karn had more comfortable life than the Pandavas. Yes, Kunti left him, but his adopting parents were way better to him than what Kunti alone could be. He grew up in middle class environment with loving parents. Where as Pandavas lived in forest in childhood & after their father's death, even though returned to Hastinapur, but was never accepted by Duryodhan gang. I wouldn't call it a comfortable life. Karn had better life than them. The only problem was that under Drona's tutelage, Drona touted Arjun as his best student & this gave birth of jealousy / envy in Karn's mind. And sadly, this jealousy was what became the deciding factor in Karn's life. And now modern literature & television soaps spin the story to suit their narrative that Karn was some tormented poor fellow

As for Ramayana vs Mahabharat, yeah. Ramayan is simpler πŸ˜† Everything is quite black & white there. You are either good or bad. Mahabharat is complex & so are its characters. As a human, I find Mahabharat's characters more relatable as no one is flawless here. Everyone has a few flaws or more......even the good guys hesitate to oppose wrong deeds sometimes & sometimes even support some apparent bad deed for the greater good. That makes them interesting & more relatable to me. Ramayan's good characters are almost totally flawless....that's not very relatable.πŸ˜†

Nope even with Kunti they still had the status of being Rajkumar from Royal family & got importance too, irrespective of whether they stayed in a jungle or palace. In Mahabharat caste mattered.

TV shows have always kept the focus on Arjun. They never showed much about karan except. They have shown him as an antagonist.

They only showed how great arjun is. It's only when I started reading books I realised Arjun won not because he was flawless & greatest but because he was on the side of dharm. I personally don't find anybody as an πŸ’―% ideal character whom I should take inspiration from.

I was very much interested in Indian epics as I felt there's alot we can learn from it. Yes Ramayan is simple, & we can clearly classify them into good or bad but in Mahabharat there are mostly grey characters & it's more about politics.

Autumn_Rose thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

^^What people get and even things like talent are highly karmic, Arjun just didn’t just get talent and education. Remember he also was adored by Lord Krishna, got supreme knowledge from him and was able to see Lord Krishna’s Virat Swaroop. Which even many Devi devtas don’t get.

One has to be spiritually and internally be of a higher order, to see things.. look how people like Vidur, Arjun etc respected Lord Krishna and listened to him., because they had good karmas to see divine energy.

When people have too much bad karmas are are affected by the 5 vices.. they deprive themselves of spirituality. To me, Karan was driven by some bad past life karmas. Even after knowing Arjun was his brother he wanted to fight him, not just because of Duryodhan, his entire life he wanted to prove he was better.

Edited by Autumn_Rose - 4 years ago
Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

Karna showm as antagonist seriously ????!!! That has to be a joke. He is the most overglorified character of Mahabharata all his mistakes/crimes is easily dumped on duryodhan while he gets to a play a so called helpless indebted man. Lol.

670134 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ranjali

Nope even with Kunti they still had the status of being Rajkumar from Royal family & got importance too, irrespective of whether they stayed in a jungle or palace. In Mahabharat caste mattered.

TV shows have always kept the focus on Arjun. They never showed much about karan except. They have shown him as an antagonist.

They only showed how great arjun is. It's only when I started reading books I realised Arjun won not because he was flawless & greatest but because he was on the side of dharm. I personally don't find anybody as an πŸ’―% ideal character whom I should take inspiration from.

I was very much interested in Indian epics as I felt there's alot we can learn from it. Yes Ramayan is simple, & we can clearly classify them into good or bad but in Mahabharat there are mostly grey characters & it's more about politics.

Arey...Rajkumar status ka achaar daaloge kya if you don't have mental peace & your own brothers plot to kill you or snub you all the time? πŸ˜† By comfortable, I meant Karn's family life was more comfortable than the Pandavas'.

And btw Soota wasn't a lower class like it's being depicted these days. Soota was a sub-caste of Kshatriya only & they weren't considered lowly. Explains how Karn was learning under Drona's tutelege along with other princes.

@ Bold: Are you kidding? πŸ˜† television has whitewashed Karn till the point he can endorse Fair & Lovely πŸ˜ƒ In Star Plus's Mahabharat, he has been very much portrayed as some society ka maara poor bechara golden hearted kind man who was only bound by his friendship to Duryodhan. In the actual epic, he was anything but that πŸ˜† And that's in a show called Mahabharat. There are even shows named Suryaputra Karn, Karn Sangini etc... I can totally imagine what they have been showing in them πŸ˜†

And I never said Arjun was flawless, neither he was the greatest.....but I feel he definitely was more of a substantial character than Karn. Yes, he was on Dharm's side & Shri Krishna himself guided him. And he wouldn't have fought against Karn or killed him had he known Karn was his brother. That's precisely why he wasn't told about it. But....Karn knew Arjun was his brother & still vowed to kill him. Says a lot about his character. And I am not even mentioning how he cheered for a sexual assault on Draupadi just because he hated Pandavas, mostly Arjun. πŸ₯±

Mahabharat is more than just politics though. It's about life lessons from Shri Krishna and its teaching has great relevance in today's life too.

Ranjali thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Btw can anybody tell me what's the actual story about Arjun & subhadra?

What they showed in the show is different from what I read.

Autumn_Rose thumbnail

Someone just tell me what Gandhari wanted to accomplish by having 100 kids. Never understood that πŸ˜†

Yeh Karan Arjun debate is never ending πŸ˜†

Edited by Autumn_Rose - 4 years ago
Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

Originally posted by: Autumn_Rose

Someone just tell me what Gandhari wanted to accomplish by having 100 kids. Never understood that πŸ˜†

Yeh Karan Arjun debate is never ending πŸ˜†

I don't think all of them were hers tbh thought the trxt says that i would say that there were more than one gandhari because gandhari is just a title and not the actual like drapaudi/panchali are titles while krishnaa is drapaudi s actual name. So i would like to believe that there more than one gandhari and maybe some kids also belonged to concubines who the main wife of dritrashtra adopted

FlauntPessimism thumbnail
ICC T20 CWC 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: .Lonewalker.

Arey...Rajkumar status ka achaar daaloge kya if you don't have mental peace & your own brothers plot to kill you or snub you all the time? πŸ˜† By comfortable, I meant Karn's family life was more comfortable than the Pandavas'.

And btw Soota wasn't a lower class like it's being depicted these days. Soota was a sub-caste of Kshatriya only & they weren't considered lowly. Explains how Karn was learning under Drona's tutelege along with other princes.

@ Bold: Are you kidding? πŸ˜† television has whitewashed Karn till the point he can endorse Fair & Lovely πŸ˜ƒ In Star Plus's Mahabharat, he has been very much portrayed as some society ka maara poor bechara golden hearted kind man who was only bound by his friendship to Duryodhan. In the actual epic, he was anything but that πŸ˜† And that's in a show called Mahabharat. There are even shows named Suryaputra Karn, Karn Sangini etc... I can totally imagine what they have been showing in them πŸ˜†

And I never said Arjun was flawless, neither he was the greatest.....but I feel he definitely was more of a substantial character than Karn. Yes, he was on Dharm's side & Shri Krishna himself guided him. And he wouldn't have fought against Karn or killed him had he known Karn was his brother. That's precisely why he wasn't told about it. But....Karn knew Arjun was his brother & still vowed to kill him. Says a lot about his character. And I am not even mentioning how he cheered for a sexual assault on Draupadi just because he hated Pandavas, mostly Arjun. πŸ₯±

Mahabharat is more than just politics though. It's about life lessons from Shri Krishna and its teaching has great relevance in today's life too.

The point is he was more interested in winning over Arjun than actually ensuring that his supoosed best friend for life oh I owe everything to you wins the war or at least is saved from death.

He promised Kunti for not killing the other four son including Yudhishtir whose death meant the end of the war and Duryodhan becoming the king, someone explained this to be because he wanted the Dharma to win at the end, ok accepted this point, but at least he could have not spared Bheem, Duryodhan was actually a tough opponent and he had already seen how brutal Bheem was to the Kaurav brothers. It wasn't difficult to guess that Duryodhan had maximum fear of death from Bheem, he should have actually ensured that at least this doesn't happen.

But no the most important thing he opined was to kill Arjun

And unlike what people say, he wasn't fighting a lost battle no one knew the outcome of the war beforehand. Kaurav army was big and filled with greatest warriors of those days. Krishna's Narayani Sena in itself was capable of destroying any army worldwide.

Edited by FlauntPessimism - 4 years ago
Autumn_Rose thumbnail
I feel karn and duryodhan relationship was only of mutual benefits. The problem with Karn was he centered his life around trying to prove he is better.