Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

1123225 thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: CaptainSpark

But the link you posted does mention Bheem being furious at every stale comment being made at Draupadi at court. I just referred to the link you quoted, and he clearly is enraged at Draupadi's humiliation while I don't see Arjun showing the same amount of rage and being equally bothered about it. I am not saying Arjun was happy about it, of course he was not. But you said Bheem never spoke up.. But, he was the one who took the oath of killing the Kauravas.

And having spoken thus unto the son of Kunti, Duryodhana. desirous of encouraging the son of Radha and insulting Bhima, quickly uncovered his left thigh that was like unto the stem of a plantain tree or the trunk of an elephant and which was graced with every auspicious sign and endued with the strength of thunder, and showed it to Draupadi in her very sight. And beholding this, Bhimasena expanding his red eyes, said unto Duryodhana in the midst of all those kings and as if piercing them (with his dart-like words),--'Let not Vrikodara attain to the regions, obtained by his ancestors, if he doth not break that thigh of thine in the great conflict. And sparkles of fire began to be emitted from every organ of sense of Bhima filled with wrath, like those that come out of every crack and orifice in the body of a blazing tree.

Does this not count as protest?

In a way, yes. But Bheema protested Kaurava criminality. He never said Yudhishtira had no right to do it to begin with. In fact, Bheema states (prior pages to the link I shared, I think) that Yudhishtira had every right to stake Panchali. He also laments somewhere later about not acknowledging Panchali's children or something (I read it long time ago, so not sure of exact wording).

As for Arjuna himself not showing rage... well... in the man's own words when Panchali accuses him of being unfeeling to her: "Thou dost not, O girl, understand this. I have lived with thee, and thou, too hast lived with us. When, therefore, thou art afflicted with misery, who is it that will not, O thou of beautiful hips, feel it? But no one can completely read another's heart. Therefore it is, O amiable one, that thou knowest not my heart!'

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m04/m04024.htm

P.S. Not a shipper. Just objecting to the portrayal of Arjuna (not by you) as an uncaring jerk.

Edited by MahanalayakKarn - 4 years ago
Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

Originally posted by: NoraSM

I don't know the full story so I am letting it go

Draupadi didn't say anything to Yudhishtira after he bet her, did she? She went on exile with them, served them as a Wife, she was an intelligent woman, she obviously asked help from the one who was impulsive ie Bheema.

Drapaudi was smart she did not blame yudhishtra in the court room for a reason she rips him apart later during the exile. Had she blamed yudhishtra in open court things would have turn uglier that why nobody that includes "mahanayak" actively blamed him in the dice hall. Drapaudi went to bheem because they had that kind if relationship she trusted him enough.

I think we can stop demeaning the relationship that drapaudi had with one husband to glorify another and that goes for both bheemdi and ardi. Both of then were equally important

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

Originally posted by: MahanalayakKarn

In a way, yes. But Bheema protested Kaurava criminality. He never said Yudhishtira had no right to do it to begin with. In fact, Bheema states (prior pages to the link I shared, I think) that Yudhishtira had every right to stake Panchali. He also laments somewhere later about not acknowledging Panchali's children or something (I read it long time ago, so not sure of exact wording).

As for Arjuna himself not showing rage... well... in the man's own words when Panchali accuses him of being unfeeling to her: "Thou dost not, O girl, understand this. I have lived with thee, and thou, too hast lived with us. When, therefore, thou art afflicted with misery, who is it that will not, O thou of beautiful hips, feel it? But no one can completely read another's heart. Therefore it is, O amiable one, that thou knowest not my heart!'

P.S. Not a shipper. Just objecting to the portrayal of Arjuna (not by you) as an uncaring jerk.

Bherm did not lament not acknowledging drapaudi kids he lamented about how will they face them after the dice hall.

Yeah as i said we can stop putting down either bheemdi or ardi i think drapaudi had good relationship with both. Plus more than anything all that drapaudi ever needed to tackle every situation was her own inner strength and intelligence along with immense care if her cowherd friend.

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

Guys more than anything else drapaudi herself was capable enough to look out for herself her husband and her kingdom

1169321 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Poorabhforever

Drapaudi was smart she did not blame yudhishtra in the court room for a reason she rips him apart later during the exile. Had she blamed yudhishtra in open court things would have turn uglier that why nobody that includes "mahanayak" actively blamed him in the dice hall. Drapaudi went to bheem because they had that kind if relationship she trusted him enough.

I think we can stop demeaning the relationship that drapaudi had with one husband to glorify another and that goes for both bheemdi and ardi. Both of then were equally important

🤔 Why would I ship anyone in Mahabharata? Its not a love story and I read about Bheema saying that Draupadi's son won't be accepted, but as I said I don't have full knowledge of it so I rested it there. What relationship she had with her husbands is not important to me because I firmly believe, they didn't deserve someone as great as she was, she went through humiliation, pain and worked like a servant for her husbands, she had knowledge of finances and she handled her Kingdom, she was a marvelous woman, she was a Queen

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

🤔 Why would I ship anyone in Mahabharata? Its not a love story and I read about Bheema saying that Draupadi's son won't be accepted, but as I said I don't have full knowledge of it so I rested it there. What relationship she had with her husbands is not important to me because I firmly believe, they didn't deserve someone as great as she was, she went through humiliation, pain and worked like a servant for her husbands, she had knowledge of finances and she handled her Kingdom, she was a marvelous woman, she was a Queen

Lol which line of mine did you read that shipping word i am the last person to ship her with anybody. So please don't try to put this on me or try to change the topic you are the one who is going on and on about how arjun supported her and bheem did not. My reply was solely based on this that she had good relationship with all her husbands

And if my memory serves right few days ago you had a very different image of her. A woman who willingly went ahead with her humiliation who let a man disrobe her in public - exactly your words.

Edited by Poorabhforever - 4 years ago
1169321 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Poorabhforever

Lol which line of mine did you read that shipping word i am the last person to ship her with anybody. So please don't try to put this on me or try to change the topic you are the one who is going on and on about how arjun supported her and bheem did not. My reply was solely based on this that she had good relationship with all her husbands

And if my memory serves right few days ago you had a very different image of her. A woman who willingly went ahead and her humiliation - exactly your words.

I am the one who created a topic titled "Why didn't Arjun protect Draupadi?", I am not going on and on about Arjun supporting her, if you read my posts, I don't think anyone did anything to protect her from the humiliation. You mentioned ship names "Bheemdi" and "Ardi", I didn't even know about their existence before I read your posts, I have never participated in a Mahabharata discussion before Lockdown

If you read my other post, didn't you read I dislike Arjun and Krushna to some extent? I also said that I liked Karna 🙂, after reading about what Karna said to Draupadi and his egging Duryodhana made me dislike him, so my opinion that day was before I actually read about the whole incident

I didn't know Draupadi saved herself, I had different image of her because what I read was that Draupadi went ahead with Chirharan and prayed to Lord to save her, I had no knowledge of Draupadi saving herself but someone in that post said that Draupadi saved herself and her husband, after which I read about it which changed my perception on her. I did not really care about Mahabharata before my family started watching this during Lockdown which piqued my interest regarding Draupadi. I don't know about her relationship with her husbands nor I claim to know, I was just telling what I have read before and as I said my knowledge is bare minimum, and my opinion change as I get to know more about it.

I am trying to know more about this, I am writing in my every post either I am not sure about something or I don't know about it, it is the first time I am discussing Mahabharata, I didn't know there were ships because I just don't see romance in something like Mahabharata, it is more of a war story for me

Edited by NoraSM - 4 years ago
CaptainSpark thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

I don't know the full story so I am letting it go

Draupadi didn't say anything to Yudhishtira after he bet her, did she? She went on exile with them, served them as a Wife, she was an intelligent woman, she obviously asked help from the one who was impulsive ie Bheema.

As per a few other versions, like the Bengali one I have read, she did but I don't think that's there in KMG.

It's not about being impulsive. It's because she knew Bheem was the one who would help her out. Bheem was the one who took the oath for killing the Kaurava brothers. He was the one who ruthlessly killed Dushshashan for what he did to Drau. He targetted Dury's thigh fot the same reason. As she mentioned above, Draupadi went to Bheem because she knew Bheem would do something for her. Arjun, Yudhi were no less powerful. Yet she chose Bheem. There's a reason for that. I personally don't feel there is any doubt about the fact that Bheem loved her the most among the five. And he was the only one who avenged her humiliation, unlike the righteous Yudhishthir who was still unwilling to fight.

1169321 thumbnail

Originally posted by: CaptainSpark

As per a few other versions, like the Bengali one I have read, she did but I don't think that's there in KMG.

It's not about being impulsive. It's because she knew Bheem was the one who would help her out. Bheem was the one who took the oath for killing the Kaurava brothers. He was the one who ruthlessly killed Dushshashan for what he did to Drau. He targetted Dury's thigh fot the same reason. As she mentioned above, Draupadi went to Bheem because she knew Bheem would do something for her. Arjun, Yudhi were no less powerful. Yet she chose Bheem. There's a reason for that. I personally don't feel there is any doubt about the fact that Bheem loved her the most among the five. And he was the only one who avenged her humiliation, unlike the righteous Yudhishthir who was still unwilling to fight.

I am sorry for my lack of knowledge, I can understand it must be frustrating for you to see my rants, Mahabharata and Ramayana have been part of our lives from I was a child, a lot of things were said by people and my opinion on every character till now has been way different, there are so many versions of it and I am really confused 🙃

I will stop here 🤗 Thanks for your time and patience, my mom gave up before ya'll did ♥

CaptainSpark thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: MahanalayakKarn

He wasn't absolutely uncaring of course. I don't exactly see him that way either. There are many other parts from the epic that show otherwise. I am only saying as per my understanding, Draupadi wasn't the first of his priorities. About Bheem's words, I just went through your link and few pages before. I don't think Bheem meant that. I feel his words were just lamenting the state of the children and how they'd feel.

I feel from your and my views, everyone has their own way of protesting. Arjun was stating a fact, which is also a kind of protest. Bheem was enraged and he decided to punish the Kauravas for their atrocities. That's also protest. Now ways maybe different and as you said, interpretation of both maybe different too.