Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sambhavami thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 4 years ago

Dhritarashtra was a very complex person. He always had this inferiority complex due to his blindness, and definitely hated it when Pandu got the crown.

He did love his brother though, and was genuinely sad when Pandu left for the forest. He ruled justly with the aid of Vidura and Bheeshma.

He began to feel insecure only when Yudi&co. arrived. Then he began to subconsciously protecting Dury's right to the throne, which became the main cause behind his silence throughout.

He wasn't a necessarily rude or adharmi person. Just that he was way too insecure to think straight. 😳

1101138 thumbnail

Originally posted by: proteeti

Dhritarashtra was a very complex person. He always had this inferiority complex due to his blindness, and definitely hated it when Pandu got the crown.

He did love his brother though, and was genuinely sad when Pandu left for the forest. He ruled justly with the aid of Vidura and Bheeshma.

He began to feel insecure only when Yudi&co. arrived. Then he began to subconsciously protecting Dury's right to the throne, which became the main cause behind his silence throughout.

He wasn't a necessarily rude or adharmi person. Just that he was way too insecure to think straight. 😳

But it was unfair to drithrashtra that though being the elder one and also the able one the throne was given to pandu just because the former was blind. I wouldn't really blame him for being angry at that but yeah he shouldn't have been silent when duryodhan was committing such sins, he should have rather taught him about righteousness and made him worthy of the throne if he wanted his son to become the king.

sambhavami thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: davis56

But it was unfair to drithrashtra that though being the elder one and also the able one the throne was given to pandu just because the former was blind. I wouldn't really blame him for being angry at that but yeah he shouldn't have been silent when duryodhan was committing such sins, he should have rather taught him about righteousness and made him worthy of the throne if he wanted his son to become the king.

I agree with you in this, Dhrity should have been given the right. However for the Kuru family, this was never the plan. I believe if the royal elders had any inclination to depend on Dhrity, they wouldn't have asked for the second or third child. Even Pandu was not their first choice but rather, a settlement because of Vidur's parentage.

In the Kuru family, the eldest son rule was never strictly enforced. It was just that the royal parents placed a lot more care into rearing their first boy, and hence mostly, the eldest boy turned out to be most worthy. In the Kaurava&Pandava age only, they started fighting over this non-existant rule of the eldest being the king.

Dhrity had endured this second-class treatment right from his birth! And my heart goes out to poor Dhrity: he had to endure this taunt for the entirety of his life, that no matter what happens, he will always be the second choice.

I guess that was what made him so passive-aggressive against Yudi, because he could not tolerate the fact that despite being physically regular, his son Dury was STILL the second choice.

1101138 thumbnail

Originally posted by: proteeti

I agree with you in this, Dhrity should have been given the right. However for the Kuru family, this was never the plan. I believe if the royal elders had any inclination to depend on Dhrity, they wouldn't have asked for the second or third child. Even Pandu was not their first choice but rather, a settlement because of Vidur's parentage.

In the Kuru family, the eldest son rule was never strictly enforced. It was just that the royal parents placed a lot more care into rearing their first boy, and hence mostly, the eldest boy turned out to be most worthy. In the Kaurava&Pandava age only, they started fighting over this non-existant rule of the eldest being the king.

Dhrity had endured this second-class treatment right from his birth! And my heart goes out to poor Dhrity: he had to endure this taunt for the entirety of his life, that no matter what happens, he will always be the second choice.

I guess that was what made him so passive-aggressive against Yudi, because he could not tolerate the fact that despite being physically regular, his son Dury was STILL the second choice.

And I think Gandhari blindfolding herself also did a lot of damage because her blindfold was just a reminder to drithrashtra of his own blindness. If Gandhari had rather used her vision to help him it would have given him more strength and confidence and she could have even raised their children in a more better way where she could have seen the things that her children were doing and how her brother was influencing them. Gandhari blindfolding herself just made the situation even more complicated in my opinion .

Abyspecial thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Was dhritrashtra and gandhari's relationship actually like this? 🤔

Sanskruthi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Abyspecial

Was dhritrashtra and gandhari's relationship actually like this? 🤔

Strictly going by texts they don't have hate, gandhari blindfolded out of respect, unlike the tales Shakuni did not wish to get Pandu gandhari married, he was happy for his sister. So Dhritarashtra doesn't have any reason to have tension with his wife. His inferiority complex was becos he was blind

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sanskruthi

Strictly going by texts they don't have hate, gandhari blindfolded out of respect, unlike the tales Shakuni did not wish to get Pandu gandhari married, he was happy for his sister. So Dhritarashtra doesn't have any reason to have tension with his wife. His inferiority complex was becos he was blind

I have read another theory that gandhari s blind folding was her way showing resistance to this marriage. I don't understand why will she blindfolded herself out of respect she could have instead been her husband s eyes . And then there this other theory thay gandhari s blindfolding is just a metaphor to explain her blindness to her sons actions

Sanskruthi thumbnail

Originally posted by: Poorabhforever

I have read another theory that gandhari s blind folding was her way showing resistance to this marriage. I don't understand why will she blindfolded herself out of respect she could have instead been her husband s eyes . And then there this other theory thay gandhari s blindfolding is just a metaphor to explain her blindness to her sons actions

Ofc that could be the way to look at it but the epic describes her virtuous, devoted to Her hubbydev, someone who doesn't associate with men other than her husband

@B ofc you won't, I don't as well😆 but we cannot judge gandhari based on our thoughts she's atleast 5000 years old, too much generation gap😛and considering Dhrit had a kid with other woman while she was pregnant, she didn't have much power, there were Vidur and Bhishma as Dhritarashtra eyes he didn't need her eyes... he was happy to have a devoted wife IMO.

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sanskruthi

Ofc that could be the way to look at it but the epic describes her virtuous, devoted to Her hubbydev, someone who doesn't associate with men other than her husband

@B ofc you won't, I don't as well😆 but we cannot judge gandhari based on our thoughts she's atleast 5000 years old, too much generation gap😛and considering Dhrit had a kid with other woman while she was pregnant, she didn't have much power, there were Vidur and Bhishma as Dhritarashtra eyes he didn't need her eyes... he was happy to have a devoted wife IMO.

No it's not about generation even considering those times its seems way to far fetched that you blind fold out of respect

Sanskruthi thumbnail

^^^ that's what the texts suggest but yeah everyone has a opinion :)