Ariya OS: A fall Before Autumn

BitterBerry thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 4 years ago

Hey guys, I know it's been long since I've posted any OS in this forum. This one came out as a result of the rigorous discussion I was having with Rii aka Haal-e-dil. And she challenged me to write an OS that should be of 7k+ words and in 7 days. So here is the OS...

Its not a typical OS or nothing like I have written before, so chances are that you might not like it and its fine.

So go ahead, read and decide.

|

Ariya OS: A fall Before Autumn 

Genre: Thriller

“You didn’t take a life Arjun. You saved hundreds of life.” She said pacing in the interrogation room. And he wondered how that statement is making any sense to her. He just killed the health minister, the Yogi.

Just then DCP Sameer Rathore, Chief of CBI entered inside, visibly disappointed with the person sitting in front of him! None of his actions shocked DCP Sameer Rathore. But with the way he pulled it off, rattled him. He knew Arjun was capable of this. He knew how blind he had become with his lust for revenge.

Arjun Rawte, ex IPS officer, who first lost his wife and now half the people who once were just close to being his family, killed the health minister. It was just a matter of time, he would have made it out. But that wasn’t the plan. The plan was to bring him out, to make sure everyone know that he is the killer.

DCP Sameer Rathore just presented a look at the woman in front of him in plain black shirt and trousers. She was annoyed with the whole security process. It looked odd, owing to her position at R&AW. He never doubted the capability of women in force, but the urgency with which she wanted things to proceed, added more suspicion to her actions.

Reluctantly DCP signed the transfer paper. He knew he wouldn’t be able to do it otherwise. Interrogating his best friend? Who just killed their health? He mentally thanked R&AW for taking over.

“You should have talked it out with me Arjun.” The DCP said, not regretting that a R&AW agent is right there and listening to their whole conversation. 

“So that you could have warned the Yogi, arrange VVIP security and arrest me?” Arjun questioned.

“You never learn to do the right thing Rawte.”

“And what right thing you did Rathore? They belonged to you more than they did in on my side.” And those words really hit the DCP hard across chest. He mourns for them too. Not a single day he was at peace knowing that the murderer of half the members of his team was still out there.

“I did everything I could to expose him.” He said, but his defences loosely faltering.

“I saw how that worked Rathore. Maybe you didn’t do enough.” That’s another accusation on his way from his ex second in command. The DCP knew even though his conscience is screaming at him that he did the right thing, he would never find himself at a fair side. Because he have failed, as a best friend and as a chief too. 

But he couldn’t say if what Arjun did was right as well. What Arjun did was, put the whole country in a state of chaos. There are being candle march and riots. People are asking a plain execution of the person who once was his best friend.

He took a final look at Arjun, and his impassive behavior rattled Sameer. He couldn’t take it anymore. Nor did he ask, as a friend that why Arjun would take such a step? Because there was no point to it. The public wants his execution. He shot the health minister and for the first time police had made it to crime scene at the right time, to get Arjun. There is no way Arjun can get out of it. Sameer stared at Arjun who was visibly lost in his own thoughts for a last time before making his way out.

“I don’t  know what’s your bargain Arjun, but you just messed it for everything you have ever believed in.” Arjun shrugged upon hearing those words and wondered why does he care? Though he remained silent, for something else started running in his mind. He was taken back to the time when it all started.

I know Arjun, you too consider us as your family, though you don’t make any effort to show, I know you care about us.

Her words played in his mind. And then it was immediately filled by something else.

Four figures chained to a pole with a silent desperation.

An ear splitting sound.

Then alone he saw was what least expected. 

Smoke.

Dust.

Fire.

A bomb blast.

And in a flash of a second, all of them are dead, their bodies burned to ashes. They were his team, and he couldn’t save them.

He didn’t know how many days passed. How many days wallowed in this regret. For not saving all of them. 

“Nooo...”! He screamed.

And was taken aback when he felt a hand touching him reassuringly. He opened his eyes.

There was no smoke.

No dust.

And no fire.

He was having a nightmare. But the realities of what he saw won’t leave him. Not yet. How long will he allow himself to this suffering? He doesn’t know. Aisha, Sakshi, Liza and Chotu are dead. And he was held responsible for their murder, because he was leading the team, it his responsibility. They made him a culprit in front of the whole state. He couldn’t bear it anymore.

The same man who always held him responsible for Roshni's death had too a questioning eye upon him. Too much for being a best friend. Whatever was happening around, he couldn’t handle it. So he decided to leave ETF. To resign from the force. Even though he came out clean with all the allegations against him, there was nothing that could restore his faith in the system.

“Same nightmares?” Arjun was brought aback from his thoughts as he sat upright, facing a person he’s still getting used to.

“Yeah”, he confirmed and shifted to the other side away from the man sitting just beside him.

“Go sleep Karan, we have to go to the orphanage to find those reports.” He said in his calculated voice. Karan who was well aware of his turmoil just nodded his head with an exasperating sigh and left him. Karan just knows that sleep is just far away from that man. 

Arjun felt the room in all its hollowness and took a heavy breathe. Even though he has left the force, he can’t keep himself away from crime and injustice. He always felt like keeping the oath he took during his joining, doesn’t matter if he has his uniform or not. 

He just joined Karan in his motive. There was no agenda. There was no plan. He just gave in. He never thanked Karan for giving him a place to stay. Or never thanked him whenever Karan took care of him.

After many times shifting over the bed he didn’t know when his eyes got heavy and he was pushed into a deep slumber. But he woke up to a female voice waking him up with all her energy. 

“Arjun, get up. Your tea will get cold.” The morning felt fresh if he’ll forget all his nightmares. But the worst part is, he wont. He stared the woman who’s facing opposite to him in a yellow salwar. 

“And what are these files.” He heard unmistakably about the file and he rose from the bed, in all his senses now. “keep that file on the table Simrin.” She heard his grave voice from behind and she was sure he’s standing right behind her. She just kept the file aside and turned to face him.

“Finish your tea and get ready.” He just nodded in reply and she left his room. He happens to see her around a lot. And he wasn’t oblivious that her interest here isn’t only Karan. She’s more than that and she seemed to believe what Karan was doing. She believed in his cause. And so far he hadn’t had any problem having her around. But now a days he’s just laying low, keeping his emotions at check. Things nowadays doesn’t even make him angry.

After securing the file, he took his tea and sipped it and wondered if there is anything in him left to lose? He asks this question everyday unsuccessfully finding himself an answer.

He got ready to go to the orphanage. To find out about Yogi. Exposing him is what always he wanted to do after the blast. Yogi has opened numerous orphanages in the city to help those homeless children. But Arjun was sure if there is anything he’d find against yogi, it would be from the orphanage. It’s no news that orphanages had always been a better cover up for stuffs like illegal businesses, child trafficking and money laundering. So that’s where he will go.

It was Karan's plan that Arjun will go there with Simrin as his wife who wants to adopt a child from their orphanage. He had arranged for them their IDs too.

When he came out he saw Simrin draped in a soft aqua green saree now and noticed Karan being awestruck with her. Arjun went ahead, cleared his throat and raised his brow at Simrin who faced Karan.

“Are we ready to go?” he asked.

“Yeah sure Arjun.” Simrin said and literally dragged Arjun out of the house. Karan kept looking back and realised she just shied away. After that Karan took out his phone and dialed someone. “Yeah, he’s out. Are you sure you want him in? I mean you know how he is.”

“I know how he is K but I am positive about this.”

“This man has his own ethics. How do you think you can convince him?” 

“his lust for revenge is more than his ethics as far as I have seen him so trust me on this.”

“How are you so sure he wont expose us?”

“we will offer him something he won’t say no.”

“Okay boss.” He cut the call and sent the caller a tracking address he put on Arjun's jacket. Karan have played this game before, but with Arjun it doesn’t fit right. The man has lost so much. Karan wasn’t sure how he’s going to react when their cover will be blown. 

The orphanage was as clean as the image Yogi has made in front of everyone. Disappointed, Arjun and Simrin came back after an uneventful day. Simrin went to her room when Arjun just wandered off to the little park nearby. And that’s when he got the biggest shock of the day.

Karan was pleasantly talking to someone. Pleasantly telling someone about their plan, about Arjun's past. About how mad he is for the only man who killed his wife. Arjun couldn’t take it anymore. He didn’t wait for Karan to end the call. All he did was grabbed him by his collar and pinned him to a wall so enraged that frightened Karan.

“Who are you?” he hissed. He was literally choking Karan with the force he was applying to his body. Between his breathlessness Karan mentioned something Arjun, couldn’t make out. He had trusted this man. He had trusted someone altogether after a long. 

“I can explain... please... leave... me”. Karan said between his muffles. Arjun breathed a little trying to calm himself. And Karan wondered how true his boss was about Arjun. Any mention of his dead wife and he could kill anyone with his stare only. Karan knew he messed up big time. But it had to come out someday.

“I will only ask you the only time Karan.” And before he could say anymore he felt a wave of electrifying shock travel his body violently. Karan took advantage of that situation and pushed Arjun to the ground. When Arjun was finally on his back, lying unconscious over the ground, Karan turned to face the person finally who just stunned Arjun.

Yet again, she was under a hood. He had never seen her real face. Every time she’d walk up to him anonymously with a face that doesn’t have any record in any govt database. All thanks to tissue engineering and advanced cosmetology. She will drop the name of her target to him and she will leave anonymously blending well with the crowd. She’d call him through internet with an IP untraceable. And he’d have to wait for her because there is no incoming for her from his side. Yet he trusted her, trusted her because he’s also the chosen one, just like her.

“I have warned you about him. The man might be lost with the chaos in his life but he doesn’t miss a thing.” She was visibly angry with how this turned out.

“What now?” Karan asked her.

“I think it’s time...”She said. And Karan just sighed. He sighed because he didn’t have to pretend anymore.

Arjun woke up in a dimly lit room with only a window and he could feel the night getting deeper. His neck still hurt as he tried to register what had struck him there. The electrifying current still made his body shiver. Getting up from the bed he took a look at his surrounding. The room looked somewhat similar to the room at Ravi lodge, but here with an additional amount of papers and facts neatly written over sticky notes and stamped upon a wall.

“We didn’t want to do it this way Arjun, but we had no choice.” He heard an oddly familiar voice as he tried to remember to who it belonged. This cant be her. She’s dead. He told himself. And he was welcomed to a strange face. Suddenly he registered something else. He was with Karan and Karan was telling something about him over the phone. His last image was him pinning Karan over the wall. He turned his head to see a female figure leaning against the door. Her face was under the hood and she was wearing black leather short skirt, however her jacket hanged right above her knee.

“Who are you? And where is Karan?” He asked and found his voice groggy.

“That’s not the right question.” The reply came from the woman. “I thought a sensible person like you will ask why you are here. But anyway, I am sorry. It was the stun gun.” He was still thinking where he have heard her voice. No, it cant be her. And she proved him right. She revealed herself. Even in the darkness he could see her black eyes. Her face was exotic, one that he had never seen before.

“Well then why don’t you answer. Why am I here?” Arjun asked now frustrated with the turns of event. She switched on a light which barely added any more brightness to the room but it was manageable. He could clearly see some photographs now. And when he finally recognized a face in those photographs, all his senses were so livid and alert. It was the Yogi.

“Because you need us and we need you.”

“who are you?”

“that’s not important. What’s important is about what you want. I have something for you and in return I need a favor from you.”

“I am not up for any deal right now.”

“You might should just listen to what I am going to say Arjun.” And it was the familiarity with her voice that compelled him to wonder as if he’s known her always. Arjun remained silent. He was rattled with why Karan will sell information about his personal life to someone? And why he’s here?

“we have a common interest in Yogi. I want you to help us execute Yogi, and in return we will help you find your target.” Execution? She’s plainly asking him to murder Yogi. She took a glock 22 from her jacket and placed it over the table nearby.

“what’s your interest in Yogi?” Arjun became more calculative this time. He wanted to know what’s the matter is for real.

“He’s destroyed too many people’s life. That makes him a common interest.” She said as she laid down a file she held it in her other hand. She handed him the file asking him to take a look at that. He was hesitant at first, he didn’t know if he could trust her. Hell he doesn’t even know her. Yet, the name printed over the file got him. It was the Yogi. 

He went through the file. It was a mess in there. “The first one is the location of all his safe houses, where he does all his drug business.” Arjun recognized some of those locations and she is right.

“The next set of papers are his account details, all the records of the money laundering he does. And at last, the community health centres, where he’s into organ trafficking.” She finished finally.

“That’s enough evidence to expose him. Why do you want to kill him?”

“I don’t want to kill him Arjun, you do.” He was stunned with her words. But isn’t it what he wanted? The moment he saw his teammates die right in front him, he was having a hard time controlling his urge to kill the Yogi. Now when he’s being offered the perfect chance to do it, he was rather unconvinced. He wasn’t sure why Karan helped him and why Karan tipped this woman about him. Why  in first place this woman is helping him? Even though he saw the evidence right in front of him, he couldn’t trust this woman who is appearing rather too convincing.

“Because he has taken too much from you which he can never compensate for...”! She chose her words carefully. She has to convince him for this. There’s a plain order of assassination on the Yogis name which is for the greater good. He deserves to die.

“and sometimes some people just deserves to die because of the undeserving things they have done to other.” She said in a calm voice. “Just like Sikander.” Her next words flared up an emotion he tried to control for years. His hands involuntarily brushed over his right hand, where he hide the brutal evidence of his past. He felt a tingle over there, all those feelings were so livid right in front of him. She didn’t deserve to die that way. And for a moment, all what that lady was saying in front of him made full sense to him.

He had too much of a temper to be a cop. But he has never killed anyone with his anger. That’s where he’s divided now, between the right and wrong. And killing the Yogi put him in such conflict. 

When he picked up the gun from the table, he wasn’t sure if he’d be able to kill Yogi. That wasn’t even the plan. He just wanted to expose the Yogi. But the Yogi had to instigate him. Mock him for his inability to save his teammates and mock the judiciary for their inefficiency to file out a verdict against him. On top of that he had to order his guards to finish him. That was the last straw of patience he had in himself as he straightaway pulled the trigger, killing the Yogi and both his security officers. 

And he’s here now! In the CBI interrogation room, in front of the same woman with a different face who convinced him to do this.

“its time.” The woman in front of him said who is from RAW to take him.

All he was told was to eliminate the Yogi. And for some weird reason he did expect that they will make the arrest. Yet, he had nothing to be afraid about. She cuffed him completely and asked him to head out. Two other analysts were waiting outside to finally take Arjun into the R&AW custody.

He impassively stared at her back who was leading them out. She told him she’ll get him out. And she’s doing it. She’s keeping her words. He doesn’t know what will he do next. His career was long over, and now? Hell! he will probably be hanged.

“We have to leave before the media makes a fuss about it.”

“Why do you care? I am already the culprit.” He taunted.

“Don’t make it difficult for yourself.” She told him.

“Difficult? How much more difficult are you expecting?” she understood his taunts but ignored it. Getting him out of this place is priority.

They signed the final clearance of security at the main gate. Once they were out of the gate she signalled one of the two men something. Arjun was sitting in the back seat and she at the front. The taller guy who was driving stopped the car and she signalled Arjun and the other guy to get out. She came out too. The taller guy now took the car and vanished.

“cameras?” she asked.

“check.” The curly haired guy said.

“Data?”

“Check.”

“did anyone see you doing that?”

“No. We are clear, without any trace.” He smiled goofily and she smirked. Arjun of all the people wasn’t excited to see their swag. So he just cleared his throat and asked, “I am sure you aren’t taking me to R&AW.” 

“Didn’t I tell you, you are too smart.” She commented.

“What are you up to?” Arjun asked her unsure. She remained silent as they walked ahead. Way ahead of the CBI.

“Let me tell you one thing, she doesn’t break her promises. By the way, I am Amit. We never kind of had a proper introduction.” Arjun remained impassive to Amit. So Amit just shrugged off letting silence prevail. 

After thirty minutes of walking, they were stopped by a four wheeler. It was the same man who took the other car. Whatever was happening around, Arjun was too oblivious to it. He was just lost.

“The bodies were fitting right?” she asked.

“Nothing to worry.” The guy told her. She nodded her head and signalled Arjun and Amit to come sit inside. They travelled for one hour, while having Amit hacking each check-post to erase their records. Finally the car stopped in front of a deserted cottage. All of them got down, along with Arjun.

The woman took out her gun and double checked the area. She gave clearance to the men and the four of them entered inside the cottage. From outside, it looked abandoned. From inside it was everything Arjun have never expected.

“Why did you bring me here?”

“for your own good.” She muttered and went inside. Amit just went to the huge computer set up he had at one corner of the cottage and settled himself in front of the screen. 

“Rajiv, just double check the gates please.” She said to the other guy after she came back with what looked like Vodka. 

“looks like we have to rely on those bird eyes for safety tonight.” Rajiv chuckled. And she just faintly smiled saying, “it’s for me only. For you, it’s off limits.”

“Will you just tell me why the fcuk did you bring me here?”

“Calm down Arjun.” She said.

“Calm down? Don’t you fcuking tell me to calm down.”

“I thought I convinced you with a reason.”

“And I’ve told you we still could have exposed him.”

“You don’t understand Arjun.”

“killing him wasn’t the only option.” she sighed, trying to be patience with him. It’s more difficult for him. She clutched her gun tight, for a moment a thought crossed her mind, but she decided against it. Even though he knows too much about them, she cant kill him. She just couldn’t pull herself to kill him. She doesn’t know why? She never put such emotional pressure in her mission. But with this guy, everything is too strained. Everything is too complicated. She hated herself for knowing him before.

“He had to die Arjun. He had to... for the greater good. And don’t tell me you didn’t want to kill him” he knew how she was using his anger against him. She was playing him. But he didn’t protest being played.

“And what good happened? They are worshipping that bas*ard like a god, it’s as if he’s martyred. What will happen now? I cant hide forever”. She didn’t know if it’s the same Arjun Rawte she knew before. The one that doesn’t fret no matter what.

“do you understand collateral damage? There is nothing good about it. But you just have to accept it because it was for the greater good.”

“so my life is now just a collateral damage for you?”

“Your life is what you will choose now.”

“Do I have any better option?”

“you have said a yes for this Arjun. And now there are only two options for you. Either you kill or you die.” He saw her bland eyes devoid of any expression. And he knew she isn’t joking.

“So what’s next.”

“first you have to choose.”

“And then?” 

“They will erase you. They will erase each and every of those evidence that could give anyone a slightest hint that you are alive.”

“What about RAW? How will they handle it.”

“there will be an article in paper, all of us are dead, the car is burned to ashes. How they’ll find it convincing, its up to them. We have nothing to do with them!

“So we have to hide?”

“hide?” she smiled. “We don’t anymore exist Arjun.” She said as she pulled the layers of micro engineered tissues from her face that blended well with her skin. It’s the fourth time he was seeing her with another face. He couldn’t  quite say which one was her real face. He has no vague idea about what she looks like in real. It’s her voice that always gives him a feel that she’s real. A very enchanting, yet familiar voice. A voice that belonged to someone who doesn’t anymore belongs in this world.

“Are you ever going to show me your real face?” he had to know. He had to know with whom he had bargained. For a single moment he realised how far will he go, with this. With this bloodlust raging in his veins.

He remembered their bargain.

He will assassinate the Yogi and in return she will help him with finding Sikander. He wasn’t sure himself when he said yes to her deal. He just wanted to expose the Yogi. But she wanted him dead... and he is dead now. He didn’t know how all of a sudden, the only thing he kept looking for his entire life just walked up to him. But at a cost.

With such chaos going around, she didn’t fail to notice the intensity in his voice. The intensity that unnerved her in a way she was never before. Keeping him with her will be trouble. She knows it. Yet she’s okay with it. But will he be able to handle her real face? She knows his past. She knows about the brute life put him through. And here she was, offering him something that would just add a feather to that agony.

She cleaned her face with a wipe towel and let her hair loose. When she finally turned to face him he froze, seeing her face. He always felt that along with her voice there is something oddly familiar about her eyes. He wasn’t wrong.

Standing in front of him was Riya Mukherjee. The dead research specialist of ETF. And he was speechless for a long time, maybe trying to register the whole thing that played in front of him.

Riya had beautiful eyes. But he’d never seen them without lenses. Brown. Her eyes were brown in color. How can someone with such eyes and face can be an assassin. A cold blooded murderer?

Riya…

His voice was a mere whisper. He wasn’t standing in this shady cottage. He was in a hospital. He was constantly screaming for a doctor as she was being rushed towards the emergency room. But everything about the rush was futile. She broke down badly and they lost her. As he remembered, she didn’t only die. She took a part of him with her. 

And now, she’s all alive right in front of him with blood and flesh and more important, with a brain that doesn’t hesitate a micro second before killing.

“Why Riya?” He found himself asking her in a choked voice and man, didn’t that voice rocked her to the core. It was easy, way too easy for her to hide under the veil of an artificial tissue where his unnerving gaze wouldn’t penetrate her. But maybe, just maybe she knew, that when he will find out about her, all hell will break loose.

“Why did you deceive me?” and suddenly he felt like everything he ever knew about her was a bloody fcuking lie. Her whole existence was a lie too. He always thought she was someone who remained untouched from the filth of this world. Maybe it was her innocence, or maybe it was her purity. It was everything he tried to avoid and couldn’t. He wished, he just wished that he didn’t knew, the depth of feelings she harbored for him. And he wished the same now, that he didn’t knew who she is for real. Because her revelation is breaking him beyond anything. He wondered in how many more ways, life will break him. Or is there anything still left in him to break?

“I want to know every damn thing about it.” His voice thundered inside the room. And she closed her eyes with a sigh of despair. Two years, two years since she had  heard that thundering voice that made her cower in fear and now she doesn’t know how to react to it. It wasn’t about authority for she knows she’s having the upper hand here. But it was the emotional turmoil that’s getting to her. With the voice he was asking, she was ready to give away more than she should. And the thought startled her. She composed herself and tried to pull the tightness in her voice before saying, “only when you decide where you stand with us Arjun”!

“Damn it Riya.” He said punching the table at his right side.

That’s it. The arrogance in her voice broke every ounce of patience he had till now as he came dangerously close to her and grabbed her by arm. She jumped aside quickly, gauging his move. He was quick enough to get a hold of her hands freezing her against him. She took a chance of his closeness as she hooked her leg around his knee, swiftly tilting his body to her left. 

Through all this movement their minds travelled to a distant memory of their first meeting. It was somewhat similar, the same aggression, the same quest for dominance. And yet so different. There wasn’t a red clip on her head she’d lose to him. There was curiosity in his eyes as she faced him in the past. He looked beyond apprehension this time, her deception all over his mind. And yet they craved this closeness. 

The heat emanating from his body, his unsteady breathing and stiff muscles were enough to make her weak in the knee. And he felt her muscle relax, yet her position defensive. She was locked in his arms and he was in hers, ironically none having an upper hand. Both of them knew if one will let loose, the other will have it all. Suddenly that wasn’t even a concern anymore.

He missed her.

And she missed him too.

He relaxed a bit too, just to let her know that he wont act upon his defences. Inching closer now he touched her forehead with his. He closed his eyes and stood there unguarded right in front of her, holding her tight in his grip. She didn’t move a muscle but her inside was just melting.

“I lost everyone Riya.” He breathed out. She felt the ache in his voice, the despair in his words. And she understood that because she has lost someone too. The Yogi took a part of the team ETF and Chotu was a part of it. She didn’t know the other ones but she knew Chotu. And she understood what it meant for him to lose the other three person as well.

“I know...”. that’s all she could say, “I miss him...”. She said after sometime. “I am sorry...”! he voiced. She knew it wasn’t his fault. Yet he felt sorry because he knew that man meant something to her. “it wasn’t your fault.” She said. “it hurt the most when you were in hospital and I was helpless.” She was stunned to his confession. He cant be knowing the little secret she thought she’d take to her grave. She shivered at their close proximity. She didn’t expect him to evoke all those emotions she kept at check for almost two years. And here he is breaking each of her boundaries. “It hurt more to realise that I just like her I couldn’t save you.” He voice was again a mere whisper.

“You cant live in regret all your life, nor with guilt. Things will always happen and things will change you Arjun.” She said finally. She realised she wasn’t referring him as sir. Technically he isn’t her senior anymore. Yet, that hesitation lingered there in her voice every time she called him by his name. She wasn’t there to show who’s the boss, but to make sure he realise that things have changed drastically and so was she.

“what happened to you that turned you into an assassin Riya?” And with that question their little moment was over. She blinked twice before looking into his eyes. “I just can’t tell you yet Arjun.” She felt a sudden movement in his body as he freed him completely. “You don’t trust me.” He said as matter of fact after releasing her from his grip.

“Its not about trust. It’s the protocol. I cant tell you anything until you are one of us.” She said hoping he will understand. Well he doesn’t. 

But till then he was just aware of every aspect of deception that was played with him. It was nothing surprising. 

“You’re staring.” She commented when he kept staring her. His gaze boring holes in her entire being. He was very unpleasantly surprised about the turn of events. He just couldn’t believe the fact that she’s an assassin. Apart from her face and voice, its hard to tell that she’s the same Riya Mukherjee who worked with him in ETF and who sacrificed her life for the greater good. What he’s seeing is someone who doesn’t even blink or flinch at the thought of killing someone. And he regretted for letting his emotions loose a moment back.

“Is this the face you use to deceive everyone?”

“No. I only use this face when I know the other  one will never see it again.” He heard that unmistakably. All he was sure that she wont kill him and he didn’t know if he should be sad or happy about it. She placed the gun over the table. And sat right in front of him.

“what are you waiting for then Riya? Just finish me.” He said without any fright. It would be easier, way easier than the execution the whole country is demanding. 

“I told you I will get you out.”

“what’s the point now?”

“We need people like you.”

“Like me?”

“Yeah. Like you who understand our cause.”

“I still don’t agree with whatever your cause is.”

“then why did you kill the minister Arjun?” That question held him back from thinking further. 

“Nobody had you at the gun point Arjun.” He was silent. And he realised,  he killed the minister because he too thought that he’s a threat to this country. .

“So the last year the revenue minister...”

“Yeah! That was one of us.”

“Who are you. Who are ‘us’?”

“you wont believe it, but we are a part of R&AW. We are a group of master assassins. For everyone in this world we don’t exist. But we do, to execute things like this. First our targets were only terrorist organizations. Now we are into internal affairs as well. People like Yogi are no less than any terrorist.”

“how can you just decide you can take a life.”

“we don’t see it that way. It would be difficult for us otherwise. We just see the person as a threat only. And we just eliminate them.”

“If you hold these much evidence against these people why not let the judiciary take actions?”

“Judiciary? You believe in those black coats? Do you have an iota of understanding how many cases are pending till now?” she said bitterly her voice raising. He wondered what made her belief falter again from the judiciary. 

“It’s all game out there. There will always be supporters and there will always be opposes. Our vision doesn’t swing btw the two Arjun. We need to restore faith in people.”

“You have just made a hero out of that minister by killing him. He has all the sympathy in his favor and that son of his, he is still out there, corrupt just like his father. And you said you need to restore faith in people. How Riya? By killing everyone that doesn’t go by your perception of an idealist.”

“It’s your choice if you want to believe in our cause of not Arjun. At first it wont be easy, but when you will see the real face of all your targets, I know, your blood will boil too. Your mind will scream for their execution. And you will know, why it’s important to finish them.” The last thing he wanted was to force him to give into something he is reluctant about.

“Why me? Why did you chose me.”

“You gave me reasons to be noticeable enough.” She said shrugging off casually. But in her mind she was reading that file under a name of certain Roshni Rawte. She remembered his furious eyes and enraged voice that warned her to stop stepping into his business. Any mention of his past and he was easily instigated. This happened with Pathan Lala also. He just lost control. He could  have killed him  if not have been surrounded by those cops. And that day she used  this to convince him that the Yogi deserves to die.

“I didn’t give you any reason.” He hissed and she tensed with the intensity in his voice.

“you are easily instigated... could have killed Pathan that day. It’s not because you are easily instigated. Its because of what you’re capable of when you are instigated that matters. Isn’t that why you killed Yogi. He instigated you too much.”

“I need some time.” He finally said calmly. She didn’t know what convinced him or what made him  give it a thought. But now she could say that she’s a bit relieved.

“You have to decide before the sunrise. We’ll leave soon.”

“Where to?”

“Depends on what you chose.”

“One more question, you told me one thing”.

“I remember...”

“Were those lies too?” she wont lie, she wont lie about feeling something for him. She wont lie about falling so hard for him, even if things aren’t same as before.

“You are the first outsider who has seen my face and is alive Arjun, I guess you know the answer.” She said in a calm voice and disappeared in the hallway. He didn’t know what he would do with that piece of information even though he asked that himself. The ETF research specialist felt something for him, that thought messed up his life and emotions in so many ways. Now, Riya Mukherjee -the cold blooded assassin- still feels something for him is another entire story for him. 

She made her way towards the kitchen to grab a glass and soothe her rapidly thudding heartbeat with some vodka. She poured herself a glass and gulped some down. That’s when she noticed the red over the glass. She looked at her palm, it was red with blood. But she wasn’t hurt. And it registered in her head that minutes before he did bang his hand over the table. Damn his anger. She cussed as she placed the vodka down and rushed towards the hallway.

He was silently lying over the sofa, eyes closed, yet so far away from peace. She hated herself to put him in such a mess. She tried her level best to convince him, but she knew she cant manipulate him. That’s their first rule. Willingness is the key. And she was willing to do it when they made an offer.

She went and stood right in front of him and poked him in the chest. He opened his eyes, shifted from the sofa and sat up.

“Mind if I see your hand?” she asked in a low voice. He didn’t budge answering her. She waited for some minute expecting a little cooperation, but he didn’t. So she forcefully dragged his hand out and saw the blood still coming out slowly. 

“There has to be some limits to your irresponsibility Arjun.” She muttered as she took in the view of his bleeding hand. He chuckled at the choice of her words and that’s the first ever time he was normal with her. She ignored his reaction and took out a floral hanky and tied it around his wound. A floral hanky? Too much for an assassin.

“mind if I ask you something?” he said casually. She looked him dead in the eye. “Fine.” She said cautiously. 

“What made you agree to their cause Riya? And don’t give me any authority or protocol bullshit. I genuinely want to know why?” he almost had her with it. She was sold with the intensity of his voice.

“Someone once told me that, I am not taking a life. Rather I am saving a life.” She said looking directly in the eye.

“I didn’t know my simple philosophy will make you an assassin.” He said laughing dryly. Even though it appeared funny, there was no humour to it.

“do you still need time?” she asked hoping he’d say no. He took some time in replying.

“may I know who is my next target.” She was relived when he asked that.

“Welcome to RAW.” She said and forwarded her hand for shaking.

The next morning

He was taken to a facility where they erased his fingerprints by laser. They also partially mutated his DNA. He was quite calm with the whole process. Because he came to the realization that what he was becoming. A nameless, faceless, cold blooded assassin.

He was given his personalised residence. Riya showed him around what she called as his new home.

Both of them went towards the balcony, as he took in the calmness of the night. The things that had happened in the span of twenty four hours shook him to the core and she said it will take some time. He believed her, because he knew it wouldn’t work otherwise. 

Arjun Rawte is dead.

He read it thoroughly in the news paper this morning. The man who killed the health minister for his personal revenge is dead. They found four bodies at the site of accident, their  bodies burned. The police confirmed their ID. The reports were too convincing for him.

And Arjun Rawte is dead for the world.

He caught her staring at him. “You’re staring.” He said breaking her trance. They didn’t talk about the past. Or how she became what she is today. He knew she will tell him eventually. Nor did they talk about their feelings. Talking about it would make them restless, they knew. The silence that prevailed between them was more comforting. She looked away, not uncomfortably, as she took out a gun and something that looked like an ID card.

He took it and read it.

Aryan Shekhawat, a corporate banker.

She pulled out a phone. “Only internet calls are allowed in this. I will send you my proper IP for further communication.”

“and what about you? Are you leaving for your next mission.”

“My next next mission is to assist you in your first mission.”

“Which is at?”

“Kuwait.”

“I am your wife, a corporate business coordinator, Mrs. Shaina Shekhawat.” He was somewhat surprised at the story they made up about their background. And she’s his wife? That struck him somewhere in the heart, but one look at the woman in front of him and he thought he can handle the hurt.

“Are we going to stay here together?” his curiosity got him.

“No. And that’s because I am giving you divorce. So we are just going to Kuwait for a vacation, to make things work.”

“Who the hell goes to Kuwait to make a dying marriage work?” he laughed at the story crafted in front of him now. She found no humour in his words as she placed a photograph in front of him. 

The photo was enough to kill all the humour he was previously. He was immobile for a second, keeping his inner demon at peace. This is not the time to lose control.

He looked closely at the photograph. It was taken at an airport. The sign boards behind indicating it’s the Kuwait international airport.  The man in the photograph looked too carefree to be suspicious. 

Sikander.

The murderer of his Roshni.

The one who destroyed the peace of his life. The one who took away all his happiness.

The police department never believed Sikander’s existence. But here is a woman who he thought was not capable of a field job, is giving him more confidence to Sikander’s existence.

“We will get him”. She said. He didn’t say anything else. He just pulled her to himself engulfing her in his embrace. She wrapped her arms around him tight. “Like hell, we will Riya.” He whispered into her hair. She was happy that she could at least comfort him after the hell she’d put him through this week. She was still surprised how he didn’t just go berserk and finish her the minute he knew she deceived him. She’s yet to find out his reasons. He said he lost a part of himself when she died. She believed him when he said that. She can’t expect him to love her. But she’s happy that he felt something for her. That was enough for her.

Edited by BitterBerry - 4 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shannusjs thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Fantastic os

Loved it

Do write more

Phir_Mohabbat thumbnail

Wanted wala OS.

Lovely. Thanks for posting.

swaasp thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

wowwww awesome OS 👏

loved ittt 

pls continue this one 

ishitadalal thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2

Beautiful as hell....awesome....fantastic....mind blowing. ...will b waiting for more Stories from u....

aarushi04 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4

Awesome....loved it

Riya is an assassin....so new and interesting!! 

Chemistry between both was still amazing! 

Wanted to read more though 

Plz post 1-2 chapter more.....would love to read this further to the end!! 

Tumpa12 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail

superb one👏

loved it

wanted to read more

do keep writing🤗

ishitadalal thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2

Wow great....concept is unique as always....beautiful one....plz update d nxt part as i really wonder what will happen to arjun nd riya and their future there after....

Anchal91 thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

I think it should be short story...OS is mysterious n heart touching..it can be a next storyline..😊☺️.. keep it up

Dark-Beauty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Just one request can you please continue it????