Smriti & Zubin's first wife Mona Irani

SRSR thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 17 years ago

Model coordinator Mona Irani with daughter Shanelle.

Mona is Smriti's (Tulsi) husband, Zubin Irani's first wife and Shanelle is their daughter

Smriti  - Zubin - Mona :

Smriti married her childhood friend Zubin Irani in the midst of the serial and soon after, had a baby boy in October 2001

Zubin is ten years older than me and was married before to co-ordinator Mona Irani. They have a daughter, Chanelle. People say to me that career success, marriage, and baby — I've done everything at the age of 25! Why not? I have everything that people dream of getting when they are 40. I'm lucky to have Zubin, who is an asset for me. People are surprised that my marriage is so successful despite his earlier divorce. But I'm friends with Mona, his ex-wife and their daughter Chanelle. Their differences are none of my business. My life with him and the two children are my business and I want to do my best."

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20020310/spectrum/main8.htm

Zubin Irani is a character himself. He left Mumbai where Smriti's real-life saas comes from to return to his rural patrimony. He also left his first wife Mona when he fell under the spell of this former beauty contestant..

Reality begins to resemble a TV serial since Mona was a model coordinator, had wanted to offer the beauty contestant a job and ended up handing Smriti her own husband on a platter.Local society says the two women are great friends, and the transfer of power was bloodless. This rather spoilsportishly deviates from the script, which would have called for hysteria, threat, seething, scheming, five retakes and glycerin

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/631711.cms

Zubin Irani, Smriti's husband, was married to the topnotch model coordinator Mona Irani. Whether or not Smriti was the cause of the divorce or whether she stepped into his life after the breakup is not known.

http://www.rediff.com/entertai/2001/jul/07st.htm

Once you have children I don't think you can be juvenile. We have two kids and one from my husband's first marriage. My son is three and a half and my daughter is two years old and the eldest is a teenager

We have made sure that Mona - Zubin's first wife lives one lane away so that the kids can have the attention of both. Schnell the elder daughter spends weekends with us and weekdays with Mona. We also wanted Mona to be part of our kids' lives. My kids are Zor and Zoisht. Zor was a Jordanian ruler and Zoisht is the name of Zarathustra's grandmother

http://msnspecials.in/parenting/babies_cparents.asp

Smriti may be new to politics but she has carved a niche for herself in the hearts of the people. Born on March 23, 1976 to Ajay Malhotra and Shivani, Smriti is the eldest among three daughters. Her father, a Punjabi Jat, married a refined Bengali Brahmin girl. This inter caste marriage was not accepted by families on either sides, forcing them to start life on their own with Rs 150 and two utensils in a small place overlooking a tabela. Smriti shared a special bond with her grandfather, with whom she spent her holidays with.

Young Smriti attended Holy Child Auxilium School at Vasant Vihar and went on to complete her graduation in English Literature from the School of Correspondence, Delhi University. A dig by one of her sister's friends made her fill her the form for the Miss India 1998 contest. She took Rs 1 lakh from her father on the condition of repaying it whatever be the outcome of the contest. Unfortunately, she did not make it to the top five.

She decided to stay in Mumbai try her hand at acting and modelling. Rejection came her way from all quarters but she had to pay back her father. So she took up a job at McDonalds, while continuing to do the rounds of production companies.

She finally got a break with Shrey Guleri's Ooh La La that aired on Star Plus when Neelam, the host was unwell for a day. Shobha Kapoor of Balaji Telefilms spotted her on the show and offered the role of Tulsi Virani. Television's favourite bahu was born. This role plummeted her to telly stardom at the age of 25. Kyunki was followed by Ramayana, Kavita, Aatish, Kuch Dil Se... all of which have been appreciated. Besides, she has also done advertisements and has worked as an assistant director.

Shortly after Kyunki went on air in 2000, Smriti tied the knot with businessman Zubin Irani, whom she had known since childhood.

The real Smriti is quite different from her reel counterpart. She is childlike, impulsive and short tempered, while Tulsi, the calm and calculated peacemaker, is the epitome of patience.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/indexn12.asp?main_variable=VOTE_ 2004&file_name=vote228.txt&counter_img=228

I have to be Tulsi, even off screen, moreover I have a reputation of being a good daughter in law, and I would like to maintain it, " says this pragmatic actress, Smriti Malhotra Irani, Tulsi of Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi fame.
Interestingly, in her real life, Tulsi, alias Smriti is a self proclaimed "brat of the family", married to a businessman, Zubin Irani who deals in sports and medical equipment, much older than her in age, " Zubin says he has three kids, Shanelle (his daughter from the first marriage), our son, Zohr, and me," she shares.
Smriti knew Zubin since childhood as both their mothers were friends and the families visited each other frequently. "He used to pull my ponytails, and tease me when I was young. So when he proposed to marry me, in fact the proposal came to my mother from his mother, I thought he is a real crackpot to think that way. We were good friends, and this what we still remain," recalls Smriti.
How does it workthe age gap?
He has been married before, but for her it's the first marriage. "He remained a bachelor for a long time after his divorce. I was friends with his first wife, and we still remain great friends. Zubin still loves to tease me, pulls my hair, but all inside the four walls," she adds as her eyes grow large with caution.
How does she get along with her step daughter?
"Oh! I am not a horrible step mother, I am treated as a kid by everyone around, and I love it," she answers. But not when it comes to professional life.
" When I see Zubin at work, it inspires me to be more professional as a lot of labour and money goes into making something. May it be a serial or a product like Milton that I am promoting here, I take my work seriously." Then how come a smart thinking person like her could continue to do a regressive role of a woman like Tulsi?
"Being traditional is not being regressive," she snaps back while trying to protect her image of a puritan.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/25899350.cms

Gauri Pradhan (second from left) and Smriti Irani (fifth from left)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

puspitadash thumbnail
Thank u for sharing so much about Tulsi.
Zhasan thumbnail
thanks , its really good to know abt tulsi.
sangeet5 thumbnail
yeah thx,i didn't know that much
NKSUDHIR thumbnail
Thanks for bringing up the old articles.
live 4 smriti thumbnail
thanks for such a big artical its realy intersting
live 4 smriti thumbnail
thanks for such a big artical its realy intersting 👏 👏 👏
prabham thumbnail
thanks for such an article about Tulsi bahu no-1 😊