-Sanjana- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 4 years ago

JaBir One-Shot

It was hard to believe that the girl in front of me, trapped in the restraints of the mirror, was a reflection of myself. I didn't recognize her. And she certainly didn't look like Pooja Sharma. Illuminated by the bright lights in the green room, my white, strapless gown seemed to shimmer and carry a glow of its own. My hair was tied back in a high ponytail and with the light breeze entering the room from the open window, I felt their light caresses on my bare back. My neck was adorned by a simple diamond necklace. I let out the breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. This was it. The fashion show.

So much had happened over the past two days. I closed my eyes, allowing the bitter flashbacks of Dhruv to overshadow my thoughts. Every minute in my role as Jahnvi, I had known that my crimes and prejudices against Dhruv were unwarranted. I had no right to put him through the pain and trauma that I did. But if I were to be honest with myself, Dhruv had never crossed my mind for even for a moment after PK's death. Our marriage had been a farce. My love for him had been fake. I didn't have room in my life for love at all to begin with. For Jahnvi Mittal, Dhruv had simply been collateral damage. Because Jahnvi's only purpose was to exact revenge from the Mittals. But Pooja was not Jahnvi. And during my elaborate role play as Jahnvi, I had lost the essence of Pooja. I knew I had wronged him. But was I responsible in making a murderer out of him? Was I responsible for making him a delinquent? Yes, I had used Dhruv for my own selfish purposes. But I had never physically hurt him. And just yesterday, Dhruv had not hesitated even for a moment before deciding that he no longer wished to see me alive. And for some strange reason, that hurt. It was an unexpected ache. And Kabir had been there too. 

A surge of anger rushed over me. Kabir. I didn't know what to make of him. But he certainly couldn't have been innocent in Dhruv's kidnapping ploy. Dhruv was his brother after all, wasn't he? Of course Kabir would have known of Dhruv's intentions. And Kabir himself was no saint. It wasn't as if he had any kind of appreciation for me. But did Kabir want to go as far as to kill me? From what Chopra had told me, it seemed to be likely. Kabir had tried several times between yesterday and today to approach me. But frankly, I was least interested in anything he had to say. Surprisingly, I was more hurt by Kabir's involvement in the kidnapping than by Dhruv. For a moment, I had actually begun to think that maybe...just MAYBE Kabir and I could form a relationship of mutual respect. But no. Clearly Kabir had no such intentions. Foolish, Pooja. How could you be so stupid?

I sighed, trying to shake the thoughts away from my head. Focus, I thought. The fashion show was the only thing that mattered at the moment. Since it was so last minute, I had volunteered myself as the show stopper. And it was almost time to walk out onto the ramp. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. This was terrifying. I was in no way, shape or form a model. And going out in front of all those people...onto a ramp...as a show stopper.... My throat ran dry. I picked up the water bottle beside me and took a chug. I had to do this. For the company. For my first clients. I thought of the orphanage. People were counting on me. 

As I turned to exit the room, I heard a soft knock at the door. "Pooja?" The voice called. I froze, feeling my blood run cold. It was Kabir. My palms suddenly felt sweaty. I had to get out of here and away from HIM before the irritation and anger replaced my composure. "Not now, Kabir." I answered, sharply, hoping that he would take the hint and leave. But of course, who was I kidding? Kabir was his own boss. He wasn't in the habit of taking orders from others. And so, without another moment's thought, I heard the door knob turn and the echo of footsteps enter my dressing room. My back was to him. I didn't think I had it in me to look at him in the eyes for fear that my emotions might reveal themselves. And so I slowly turned my eyes upward to the mirror to observe his reflection instead. He was quiet and I felt his piercing gaze scanning my form. There were no words to be said. But looking into his eyes, I thought, for a moment that I saw his eyes grow dark and slightly wider. He suddenly clenched his hand, as if searching for self-control. But self-control from what? I thought, confused. 

Understanding that he was not going to speak anytime soon, I broke the silence. "The door was closed for a reason, Kabir." I snapped. "What are you doing here?" He flinched, as if broken out of his thoughts. "Pooja," he said again. "I have to talk to you. About...everything." He didn't have to elaborate. I knew exactly what he was referring to. "Not now," I repeated, lifting my dress at the waist and turning around to head out. As I stepped past him, his hand grabbed my wrist, stopping me in my tracks. "Then when, Pooja? Tell me when we can talk."

I whirled around, feeling the familiar rage wash over me again. "Never!" I screamed. "There can be NOTHING you have left to say to me after yesterday Mr. Kabir Mittal." I could sense my face growing hot with every word. "And you LET GO of me this minute! Do you understand?!" I twisted my wrist, trying to wrench it out of his grip. But his hand was firmly locked to mine and his eyes were fixed, unnervingly, to mine. Without falter. Without any guilt. 

"You know what, Kabir?" I shrieked. "You're the most insensitive and fake human being I have EVER come across in my life." The momentary shock on his face was enough for me to successfully escape his hold. I couldn't help it. I shoved him backward, towards the wall. "You pretend to care for everyone. For this company. For the employees. But all you are is a hypocrite!" Shove. "You think your family is perfect. Your family is family. Your family is important. They deserve to have a roof over their heads. They deserve to live a life of comfort. And my family?!" Another shove. "My family doesn't count. My father can be murdered by your father but it doesn't matter. Your mother, chachi and grand father can support your father...can hide his misdeeds for years but it's justifiable. And now I take back the house and the company that was my father's to begin with and suddenly, you Mittals can't handle it?!" I screamed, pushing him further backwards. "I never thought YOU of all people Kabir, would stoop as low as kidnapping and murder. I never thought. But maybe it was just me, being foolish. So foolish that I had actually begun to TRUST a member of the Mittal family. But no. You're all the same. Selfish and wasted. And I won't waste another moment on you Kabir. You don't deserve a minute of my time." I gave him a final push and began to leave, blinking back the tears. But before I could take a step forward, Kabir's hands were on my shoulders. He whirled me around so that I was pinned tight against the wall. His arms were quickly on either side, blocking my exit. I could see the anger in his eyes like fire. He was furious. 

"I. Did. Not. Kidnap. You." He growled, adding emphasis on each word. "I didn't do it Pooja." His voice was dangerously quiet. And for a moment a tense silence overcame us. I raised my chin, meeting his eyes with mine. "I don't believe you." I said, equally tersely. "I'm done putting my faith in ANY of the Mittals for that matter. And what you have to say is no concern of mine." I stepped forward, placed my hands on his chest and pushed. "Now, get the HELL out of my way before I call security and have you kicked out from my vicinity for assault."

Saying so, I stepped past him and out onto the stage.

Walking the ramp was probably one of the most terrifying things I've done in my life. I had never seen so many people gathered into a room, looking at me, at once. And they were some of the most important personalities in India too. But I held my head high, and walked bravely forward onto the ramp trying to blink back the angry, hot tears that Kabir had induced. 

As I walked forward into the public eyes, music began playing, matching the beat of my steps. 

Bheege bheege sadkon pe main

Tera Intezaar Karoon

Dheere Dheere dil ki zameen ko

Tere hi naam karoon

All eyes were on me, washing over my outfit, clicking pictures and murmuring in appreciation. One step in front of the other, I walked to the edge of the ramp, and began posing. For some reason, I felt anxious. As if something was going to happen. As if there was going to be some unforeseen calamity. But the rational part of me tried its best to push the negative thoughts out of my head, amounting it to mere nervous tension. 

Khud ko main kho doon

ke phir na kabhi paon

Haule Haule zindagi ko 

Ab tere hawale karoon

I turned, my eyes grazing the crowd. In the corner of the room, I noted Kabir. His hard expression coupled with the intensity in his eyes inadvertently caused a shiver to run down my spine. Stop looking at me. I screamed, internally willing him to move his eyes somewhere, anywhere away from me. 

Sanam Re Sanam Re

Tu mera sanam hua re

Karam re Karam re

Tera mujhpe karam hua re

Sanam re Sanam re

Tu mera sanam hua re

I turned to face the audience on the opposite side. More photos, more nods, more murmurs. The feeling of anxiety was back. It was a 6th sense. As if someone was watching my every move. Suddenly, I couldn't wait to be off this stage. Finally, after what seemed to be an eternity, it was time to walk off the stage. Two girls wearing silver dresses walked on each side of me. Almost there, I thought. Less than 10 steps and I would be off the stage and finished this fashion show forever. Just had to take one step in front of the other.

1 step, 2 steps, 3 steps, 4. 

My nervousness was growing stronger with every minute. I wanted to so badly turn around one more time and examine the audience to convince myself otherwise. But no. I couldn't ruin the show.

6 steps, 7 steps. 

Someone was watching me. I could feel eyes scathing my back, nearly burning a hole. But there were thousands of people in the audience. How was it possible to feel the eyes of one specific person only? You felt Kabir's eyes on you. I reminded myself. 

8 steps. 9 steps. 

One more step to take and I would be done. But before I could move, I felt a hard body crash against mine, pushing me down. I barely had time to register my shock before I heard sounds of bullets, followed by thousands of garbled screams. Mine melted somewhere in between all the commotion that had suddenly arisen. The arms of the person who had fallen on top of me quickly wrapped around my head, pressing my head to his chest. He had me so close against himself that I felt suffocated. I had to remind myself to breathe. I hadn't realized when I had begun gripping onto his shirt. Oh god, oh god. It was like a constant mantra in my head. What is happening. Another bullet. I heard the groan of the person who had fallen on top of me. The voice was familiar. I forced myself out of the comfort of his arms and looked up. 

What I saw felt as if someone had punched me directly in the ribs. It was Kabir. And his face was contorted in pain. "Kabir..." I whispered, unable to understand what happened. "Stay still, Pooja." He stuttered. My mind whirled in confusion. Why is he talking like that? Why isn't he speaking properly? What were those sounds? What's happening? With each passing second, his hold on my body seemed to grow tighter. I can't breathe, Kabir, I wanted to cry. I looked down, in the few centimeters of gap between us, trying to analyze the situation. I saw only red. Red? But my dress was white. Pure white. Where was the red coming from? I lifted my hand from Kabir's shirt. It felt wet. Red liquid oozed from my hand. I gazed at it in horror. Blood? My blood? But I had felt no pain. And then it suddenly struck me. Not my blood. Kabir's blood. I looked at him. His eyes were opening and closing as if he would collapse at any minute. "Kabir!" I cried. "Kabir what is this, what happened? You need help! Kabir!" I screamed. I turned him over onto the side and sat up. His eyes were laced with confusion, as if he couldn't quite understand himself what had happened. "Kabir, please, stay with me! What did you do?" I felt the hot tears against my cheeks. I'm crying for Kabir?!  

"Pooja," he strained. "Leave. Right now." He winced, gripping the side of his body in pain. "Back door," he added. I was confused. he was asking me to leave him? like this? "NO!" I answered, automatically, the tears still rushing down my eyes. "I won't leave you like this. HELP!" I cried. "PLEASE SOMEONE HELP US!" I screamed. But everyone was on a frantic spree to leave the building themselves. I turned to Kabir. "Kabir Mittal, stay with me. Don't you dare close your eyes. Remember who you are Kabir. Stay with me. The company needs you...I...need you. Kabir!" I didn't know what I was saying. I didn't even know if I was making any sense. But Kabir needed help. I scanned the ramp, looking for anyone to help. I was fortunate enough to spot a phone. I scambled to my feet, grabbing the phone. I shakily dialed the emergency number. I had to a hold of the hospital. The doctor. The police. Anyone to help. 

Two minutes later, after stuttering my way through the phone call, I had managed to arrange for an ambulance. I rushed back to Kabir, who seemed to be floating in and out of consciousness. "Kabir." I whispered. What had he done? Had he really saved me? Had he put himself in way of danger to protect me? But why? Why had he done it? After everything I had accused him of in the green room... why? Why why why?! The questions were endless. But I had no other explanation. He had saved me. He had prioritized my life over his. Though he constantly fought with me, though he loved to trouble me...to irritate me...at the end of the day, it was only him who had stepped forward for me. Only him. Without realizing what I was doing, I laced my fingers through his. 

In the background, music from the fashion show still continued to play, as Kabir lay injured on the ramp and I gazed at him, unwilling to move my eyes away from his even for a moment: 

Tum yun mile ho jabse mujhse

Aur sunehri main lagti hoon

Sirf labon se nahi ab toh

Poore badan se hasti hoon

Mere din raate salone se

Sab hain tere hi hone se

Ye saath humesha hoga nahi

Tum aur kahin main aur kahin

Lekin jab yaad karoge tum 

Main banke hawa aa jaongi

Main phir bhi tumko chahungi 

Iss chahat me mar jaongi

Edited by -Sanjana- - 4 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SunshineMk thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

This was so beautifully written. Have to say i love your writing. Have been coming on the forum on and off looking for updates to your other story :)

-Sanjana- thumbnail

Originally posted by: SunshineMk

This was so beautifully written. Have to say i love your writing. Have been coming on the forum on and off looking for updates to your other story :)

Thank you sooo much dearโค๏ธโค๏ธ It has been a busy weekend for me as I am out of town but I will update as soon as I can๐Ÿ˜Š love youu!!!

foxi thumbnail

Amazing, please write more

PRACHU13 thumbnail

Well written,, ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ 

-Sanjana- thumbnail

Originally posted by: foxi

Amazing, please write more

Thank you so much!!!

-Sanjana- thumbnail

Originally posted by: PRACHU13

Well written,, ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ 

Thank you so much dear๐Ÿค—

-Sanjana- thumbnail

Hi everyone!๐Ÿค— So some of my friends on twitter wanted me to update this story with one or two more parts and show a hospital scene between JaBir! Hence am back with an update of this story๐Ÿ˜ƒ Hope I did it some justice!

JaBir OS - Part 2

Pooja's mind was lost in a whirlwind. She paced the floors of the hospital restlessly, waiting for any sign of an approaching doctor to inform her of Kabir's health. It had been 12 hours. She had spent nearly the entire night in the hospital, but sleep was far from her mind. Since Kabir's act of stupidity (and heroism?), a flurry of questions grappled both her head and heart; the first one being why he had done it in the first place. There was no compulsion to save her. In fact, if he had assisted Dhruv in his kidnapping ploy, then it made even less sense for Kabir to save her. He wanted her dead as much as the rest of his family, didn't he? 

The next question was, who shot the bullet? Her first inclination was, of course, Dhruv. But would he risk putting thousands of lives in danger just to murder her? And he would have definitely known that Kabir would be present. Would he risk hurting his own brother? 

Pooja closed her eyes, thinking back to the day's events. Kabir hadn't wasted even a moment to jump in front of her onto that ramp. He didn't think about himself or his life for even a moment. In spite of herself, Pooja felt her heart warm in gratitude. How many people would perform such acts of heroism for her? Maybe her Amma and Rani...but other than them, she couldn't think of a single soul. Never in her wildest dreams would she have thought that this man, whom she had despised with mind, body and soul less than 24 hours ago, would be the one to save her life. I owe my life to him, Pooja suddenly realized with shock. 

She found a seat on a bench outside Kabir's room and sat down with a sigh. She was exhausted, both mentally and physically. This fashion show had taken the life out of her, and now, moreover, she had absolutely no idea what to make of Kabir. Where did this sudden change in him come from? Or was it her that was seeing this side of him just now? And what would happen to the clients? She hadn't spoken to them at all since the shooting at the show. In fact, they had barely crossed her mind till this very moment. She bit her lip, worried. She needed that money badly. The orphanage needed it. If the clients revoked their deal, she wasn't sure what she'd do. She shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts. This was not the priority right now. She turned towards the operation theater. To her surprise, the red light that had illuminated the theater for the past 12 hours was now green! She stood, feeling a rush of nervous exhilaration overcome her. 

Moments later, the doctor stepped out of the operation theater, removing his mask and gloves. "Doctor," she asked, letting out the breath she hadn't realized she had been holding. "How is he? Will he be fine?" 

The doctor nodded. "We've removed the bullet. However, since the bullet was in his body for such a long time, it has caused some organ damage and we believe there may be some internal bleeding as well." Pooja's heart began to sink. Organ damage? Internal bleeding?! That didn't sound like positive news. "He'll be fine though, won't he?!" Pooja asked, flustered.

"We are hoping that will be the case, Miss Sharma, but it's hard to tell in these kinds of situations. In any case, we would like to keep him under observation for another 24 hours. And have you contacted the police? This is a police matter. As doctors, we have done our best, but the police will need to be informed of this incident as well." Pooja shook her head. "No doctor, to be frank, I haven't gotten an opportunity. I've been too worried about Kabir to think about much else. Is he conscious yet? Can I see him?!" 

The doctor placed his hand sympathetically on her shoulder. "I can understand. The operation is finished; however, the effects of the anesthesia still haven't worn off, so he isn't fully conscious yet. It may be another hour or so before he regains consciousness. We will be moving him from the operation theater to a ward room. If you like, you can sit with the patient inside the room as well. We can also hold off on any police investigation till Kabir has woken up." 

Pooja heaved a sigh of relief. Had it really been only 12 hours since she had last seen Kabir? It seemed as if an eternity had passed. Ten minutes later, she found herself sitting on a stool beside Kabir's bed. His face had grown at least 3 shades paler and he had dark circles around his eyes. It was as if the blood had been drained from his body. For some reason, seeing Kabir in such a state made Pooja feel nauseous. She would take the argumentative, stubborn Kabir over this quiet, subdued and unconscious Kabir any day. And had he lost weight too?

She fought back tears that threatened to fall at any moment from her already reddened eyes. "What are you, Kabir?" she murmured, realizing that she wasn't going to receive an answer. "You say you hate me, but when I'm scared, it's always you who comes to my rescue." she thought back to their time in the elevator. The moment he realized his joke gone too far and was causing her to panic, he immediately rushed to open the door of the elevator. "You hate me, but you can't see me in pain. You hate me, but you can't see my company losing a deal." She thought back to the time she had fainted in the office. He had helped her onto the couch and had even given the presentation to the clients to ensure her first deal didn't go awry. "You hate me, but you care about my opinion of you." She thought about yesterday, when he had barged into her dressing room and had insisted that he was innocent in Dhruv's kidnapping scheme. He had been so furious that she could even accuse him of such a thing. "You hate me, but you'll take a bullet for me." She finally whispered, allowing her tears to flow at last. 

Her whole body shook with the intensity of her tears. She had been holding back for so long and now, was unable to stop herself even if she wanted to. She didn't think she would ever be able to stop her tears. They were like an unbounded waterfall, the force of which can't be controlled by any human. Her fingers laced around his and she rested her head on his arm, hearing only her own sobs in the silence of the room. "I'm so tired," she trembled. "I'm so tired of fighting with you Kabir. I'm so tired of it all. I just want to be happy." She didn't know how long she had cried. Maybe twenty minutes, maybe more. She felt exhausted. And it seemed her eyes were closing on their own accord. She released a final sigh, barely realizing when sleep hit her.

Kabir awoke to a stabbing pain in both his head and ribs. He groaned, attempting to open his eyes. But the white light that hit his face the moment he did so, made him quickly shut it again. Am I dead? He had often seen in movies that a white light was a sign of death. He couldn't help but think that it wouldn't be too much of a pity if he did in fact die. At least he would be away from the constant drama that had become his life. His mind whirled back, trying to remember what had happened. His brother. The bullet. He had spotted Dhruv in the audience with a gun. And he had seen it aimed at Pooja. He couldn't remember much else. Pooja. Was she safe?! At this thought, his eyes flew open. "Pooja," he whispered. Where was he? The entire room was white. The only color came from a vase of plants at his bedside table. He was lying in bed. In hospital attire?! So I'm not dead, he thought with relief. He needed to get up. But the pain in his ribs and the weight on his arm wasn't allowing him to. Wait. Weight on his arm? He turned to examine his arm and was left stunned. 

Pooja. Her hand was tightly interlaced in his and she was holding his arm as if for dear life. Her forehead rested against his arm and her quiet, regular breaths proved that she was very much asleep. So he had managed to save her after all. Kabir gazed at her. At this moment, he didn't see any sign of that arrogant, egoistic and angry girl he had become so used to seeing. He simply saw a girl. She looked tired and innocent. And her hold on Kabir's arm was as if he was her life support. He couldn't help the sense of protectiveness that overcame him at this sight. 

Not wanting to interrupt her sleep, he released her arm with one hand and tried to softly pull his arm out from underneath her. But the slight motion was enough to wake her. Her eyes fluttered open and her head sprung up, examining Kabir with worry. "You're awake," she said, breathlessly. "Good. That's good. How are you feeling? Are you in pain? Should I call the nurse? Wait, let me get some help." As she was about to get up from her seat, Kabir grabbed her arm. He motioned for her to sit. "Are you okay Pooja?" He asked, ignoring all of her flustered queries. She was silent. After a few moments, she nodded. "Yes. I'm fine. You're the one that's hurt." In her own mind, she silently added: I wouldn't have been okay if it weren't for you, Kabir. But she didn't dare say the words out loud. 

They were quiet. It was an awkward silence for both of them. They were both so accustomed to arguing with each other that they had forgotten what a normal conversation felt like. Finally, Kabir cleared his throat. "How long have I been here?" Pooja examined her watch. "A little over 13 hours now," she said. Kabir's eyes grew wide. "Why did you stay here at the hospital for so long?! You could have gone home and slept. You didn't have to worry so much about me." Pooja frowned. Worried? No. That's not what I was. Not exactly. I was just a little concerned. But I would have felt that way about anyone from the company. She shook her head. "I didn't stay for the whole time," she lied. "I was at home all this while. I just decided to pay you a visit now, to see how you were doing." 

Though Kabir would never admit it, Pooja realized her words had had a strange effect on Kabir. His face fell. "Oh. Okay. That's good." he added finally. "You got some rest." Before she could speak any further, the nurse entered along with the doctor. Pooja stood. "Oh, you came! I was just about to come get you, doctor! Kabir is awake." The doctor smiled. "Kabir, good to see you with us this morning! How are you feeling?" Pooja gazed at him anxiously, waiting for his response. Kabir smirked. "I'm not dead." he joked. "Just a little pain in my ribs that's all." The doctor nodded. "That's normal after such a surgery. The bullet was inside you pretty deep." He turned to Pooja. "Miss Sharma, would you mind waiting outside? We have to dress his wounds." Pooja gave Kabir one last look. Receiving Kabir's reassuring nod, she left the room, waiting for the doctor to exit. 

The doctor smiled down at Kabir. "You gave us all quite a scare you know Kabir? For a while we didn't think you'd make it." Kabir shrugged. "Wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't make it, doc. I don't think there's many people around me who actually care to see me alive these days," he chuckled. The doctor raised his eyebrows. "Oh, I wouldn't put it like that! Your friend spent the entire night pacing the hospital. Her constant questions to the nurses and doctors about your status was secretly driving us all crazy." He laughed. Kabir frowned. My friend? But who? Kabir didn't have too many female friends as far as he could remember. Noting Kabir's confused expression, the doctor waved towards the door. "I'm talking about Miss Sharma of course!" Kabir sputtered, coughing. Pooja?!?!?!  "Pooja?!" He clarified. "Pooja waited at the hospital the entire night?!" The doctor sighed, shaking his head. "She was at that bench just outside the operation theater the entire 12 hours that you were unconscious. I don't even think she had a drink of water or took time to get a bit of food into her system. And you can forget about sleep. Poor girl lost all sleep after seeing you wheeled into the operating room." 

Kabir was shocked. In fact, he had never been so stunned at anything in his entire life. So Pooja HAD stayed with him the entire night. No food. No water. No sleep. She had waited for him. But why?! And why had she lied about it when he had asked her?! Had she really been so worried for him?! But she hated him didn't she? As this realization hit him, he couldn't help but whisper: "You hate me, but you'd wait for me the entire night outside my hospital room just to make sure I'm all right? What are you, Pooja Sharma?"

End

So as of now, I have no plans to continue this OS and may end it here, but not entirely sure yet๐Ÿ˜ƒ Hope you enjoyed!

Lots of love,

Sanjana

Edited by -Sanjana- - 4 years ago
PRACHU13 thumbnail

Good  shot.waiting for next part ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

-Sanjana- thumbnail

Originally posted by: PRACHU13

Good  shot.waiting for next part ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Hi dear, I wasn't actually going to continue this story๐Ÿ˜ณ it was just meant to be a one shot but I ended up writing another part for it upon request :P