Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Flame. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 5 years ago
Very true about Kabir's voiceovers. Perhaps the most annoying bits of the episodes. Especially, some episode in which he goes, 'our women, fly away, ' (I guess it was the dowry episode?) or something along those lines. At that moment it seemed very spoon-fed and cringeworthy. Like yeah, we get the moral of the story, man. Zoya does tend to get preachy in her stories. 
briahna thumbnail
Finished watching few days ago
Superb!
Karan is love and his and Nawab's love story was sad yet beautiful.
But why they have to get physicall when they finally meet , especially Nawab being happily married. I wanted them to get back together but as friends , but then the wait was so long.
❤️
hedwig_fawkes thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: briahna

Finished watching few days ago
Superb!
Karan is love and his and Nawab's love story was sad yet beautiful.
But why they have to get physicall when they finally meet , especially Nawab being happily married. I wanted them to get back together but as friends , but then the wait was so long.
❤️

I think there was just too much there for it to not get physical. I am normally very unforgiving when it comes to infidelity, and "Gully Boy" was kinda ruined for me because of that, but this tryst wasn't about temptation. Sometimes when feelings go that deep, there is no other release.
And the fact that Nawab says he is going to be in town for 2 more days, but then tells Karan to keep in touch showed me that he had no intention of having an affair. 

@AllThatCritique and Flame: I completely agree. The audience doesn't need to be spoon-fed everything. Zoya has a fondness for the all-knowing, sardonic, proselytizing characters. Kabir was a combination of the dog and the precocious sibling from DDD. Very off-putting. I think "Scrubs" did the voice-over thing very well, because it's mainly JD coming to terms with his own journey. He is not passing judgment on strangers. 
Edited by hedwig_fawkes - 5 years ago
hedwig_fawkes thumbnail
btw, have any of you watched "A Death in the Gunj"?
AllThatCritique thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: hedwig_fawkes

btw, have any of you watched "A Death in the Gunj"?

I have. Its brilliant. Massey is splendid in it. His performance and character stay with you. 
LoseYouToLoveMe thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Can someone post this,please?Edited by lwrimaforever - 5 years ago

Cutty Snark: Made in Heaven

An edited version of this was published in today's Hindustan Times.

That up there is one of my favourite shots from Made in Heaven, a web series streaming on Amazon Prime, created by Zoya Akhtar and Reema Kagti. The show has no shortage of pretty shots and prettier people, but this one tells a story. The bejewelled woman reminds you of the ritual of sringara, which translates to dressing up or decoration and is an important element of depicting romantic, erotic love in classical Indian art but here, it's gone terribly awry. This is not a woman who has dressed for her lover. She's dressed for herself and clearly, it's done nothing to make her feel any better. A woman in a bathtub isn't exactly indigenous as imagery goes, but a bathtub screams aspiration in an Indian context. It exists only in bathrooms that are aiming for ridiculous luxury or are remnants from a past when someone was trying for ridiculous luxury. In European art, the bathtub has been used to show naked women (usually unaware of being watched, unlike this Indian woman in the bathtub who is very much in performance mode) or as the site of a suicide. Except, even as she radiates melancholia, she's alive and she's smoking a cigarette.

Unfortunately, this is not the image that Amazon Prime decided to go with on the title cards for Made in Heaven. There's one in its publicity material that shows the major characters seated at a long table, like a glossy, opulent version of The Last Supper. If you're browsing through the Amazon Prime home page, you might chance upon a title card with actors Jim Sarbh and Kalki Koechlin. If that made you skip the show, here's the good news: Sarbh and Koechlin are only the whitest people on the show, not the leads. Sarbh plays the role of Adil, a rich Delhi businessman's son. The star of the show is his wife Tara (Sobhita Dhulipala), who runs a wedding planning service named Made in Heaven with her friend Karan (Arjun Mathur). The bad news is that if you want to follow Tara's story, then you have to endure Sarbh's intensity' and Koechlin playing yet another poor little rich girl who is lucky in sex and unlucky in love.

The first time I felt sorry for Tara was when in an early episode, Sarbh's Adil kissed her. Usually, I'm a fan of seeing people kiss, particularly in Indian entertainment because we've spent decades behind bobbing dahlias that made kissing on the lips seem far more radioactive than it needs to be. However, there is no reason to commend the sight of Adil devouring Tara's face. Sarbh's attempt at communicating passion was remarkably similar to the reaction a starving dog would have to a bowl of kibble. Women in this country have enough problems without men taking a tip from Sarbh's Adil technique'.

Offering relief from and sharp contrast to Adil's confused accent and ravenous sexuality was Mathur as Karan, who finds gorgeous men with unerring regularity and has one-night stands with them. His love scenes range from raw, mechanical to tender, showing how much can be communicated about a character's emotional state through these moments. Karan's supposed to be the one with the messed-up love life in comparison to Tara and Adil's stable marriage (at least at the start of the show), but long before Adil's missteps, Tara had all my sympathy. Those eyes, that clavicle, that grit and all she gets is Sarbh's Adil?  There is clearly no justice even in this fictional world where people gate crash prayer meetings and wedding planners are a combination of event managers, counsellors and match makers.  

The standards aren't particularly high, but as far as television and the web streaming world is concerned, Made in Heaven is possibly the best writing we've seen in an Indian show. Admittedly, the decision to set the show in Delhi is a curious one since the writers fail to capture the capital city's deranged charm. The city in Made in Heaven is how sections of Mumbai imagine all of Delhi to be like. What the show does get right, however, is the fact that the real estate in Delhi is much nicer than in Mumbai.

Each episode of Made in Heaven shows Tara and Karan organising a different wedding while navigating the challenges of their personal lives. Very few of these situations are realistic and the resolutions are occasionally so pat that they're laughable, but as devices, they mostly work. The show creates an artificial reality that is reminiscent of Bollywood that draws viewers in, dazzling them with gold and gloss. Embedded in this fantasy are real biases, prejudices and hypocrisy as well as characters who feel familiar.

Written by Akhtar, Kagti and Alankrita Shrivatsava, Made in Heaven boasts of a host of complex and charismatic roles, particularly for women, which is a refreshing change. The men in the show are less encouraging, but Mathur sinks his teeth (and other body parts. Insert eyebrow waggle here) into the role of Karan. Without resorting to melodrama or stereotypes, Made in Heaven presents perhaps the most well-observed depiction of homosexuality in urban, upper middle-class India that we've seen on screen.

Yet, just as you start falling in love with the show, the show starts revealing its own biases. It begins with the condescension that's directed at Jazz (Shivani Raghuvanshi) for being gauche and unanglicised. Raghuvanshi is charming as the determined girl from lower middle-class Delhi, but the writing clearly seeks to first have fun at her expense and then belittle her for being nave. In contrast is the mansplaining videographer Kabir (Shashank Vora), who not only gets to be the cool rebel, but is also given a monologue at the end of each episode. God forbid we ever understand what people (particularly women) are going through if a man doesn't explain it to us using his words and assumptions. Then there's the landlord (Vinay Pathak), who installs a hidden camera so that he can watch his tenant have sex. We're supposed to feel sorry for him because he's repressed. So what if he's a creepy stalker who is ok with having an innocent person thrown in jail? At least he knows what he did was wrong and apologised. Right? (Ans: Wrong. If in the real world people can choose to not be creepy stalkers despite troubled and traumatic histories, then it's possible in fiction too.)

The deepest of disappointments, though, is what Akhtar, Kagti and Shrivastava do to Tara. She begins as the epitome of elegance, but quickly, cracks appear in her faade. We realise that behind that sculpted poise are anxieties about fitting in because Tara grew up with a single mother, in a tiny apartment, with little exposure or access to the world of privilege and wealth into which she has married. She's hyper aware that as the woman who was once Adil's secretary, she may be seen as a gold digger who lacks class. For the better part of the show, Tara's anxieties seem paranoid.

Until, in an effort to add a final twist to the tale, the show reveals its misogynist, elitist heart.

(For those who haven't seen Made in Heaven, SPOILERS AHEAD.)

After building up sympathy for Tara as the wife who silently suffers the pain and indignity of being cheated on, the writers thrust a meltdown upon her. Then she confesses that in addition to stealing' Adil from his then-fiance, Tara broke into the office, went through security camera archives, found footage of her and Adil having sex in his office, copied this onto a CD, snuck out and shared it anonymously. All this to guilt Adil into marrying her.

The most immediate problem with this setup is that it creates a situation in which the audience is expected to feel sorry for Adil the guy who has lied to his wife, cheated on her and criticised her for her "low class background. Even though he's played by Sarbh, one is likely to feel sorry for him because he's being shown as the fly caught in Tara's web.   

More importantly, three women wrote this chauvinist male fantasy of how women callously manipulate men, unfazed by dishonesty and untraumatised by the prospect of being reduced to a sex object. I'm sorry, did I say "women? I meant middle-class women. That is, women who aren't rich enough to afford progressive thinking and behaviour. The only thing missing was Tara saying she loves Ayn Rand while reading out the bit from The Fountainhead in which Howard Roark rapes Dominique Francon.

Tara could have been shown as manipulative and ambitious to a fault using a variety of means, yet the writers chose to go with a plot device that strengthens ill-informed stereotypes about women faking trauma and the poor coveting privilege with unscrupulous intensity. Not only is this elitist, it's also criminally insensitive considering the reality of how vulnerable women have become with the easy access to smartphones with video capacity, internet and social media.

While India does have laws that target those who have violated someone's privacy online, these don't appear to be working as deterrents as the Pollachi case of sexual assault and extortion shows. In February, the Tamil Nadu police uncovered a racket in which a gang of four men set up an extortion racket that profited from our willingness to think the worst of women. One of the four would lure women to a secluded house or hotel, have sex with her (with or without her consent) while the others (hidden from view) filmed the act. This footage was then used to blackmail the woman into either handing over cash and valuables or performing sexual favours. The threat was that the videos would be circulated using Whatsapp or social media. There is no confirmation of the number of women who may have been victimised by this gang, but it could be anywhere between 50 and 200 according to media reports. The racket was exposed when one victim came forward and filed a police complaint. Guess how the police returned the favour? By revealing the name of the complainant without her consent. The accused, you ask? Oh, they're out on bail.

The Pollachi gang are not outliers. Over the past few years, there's growing incidence of violating women's privacy and blackmailing them. In 2016, Banda Rupesh, 27, was arrested for posting intimate videos of his ex-girlfriend online and sending a CD with the videos to her in-laws. In 2017, Animesh Bakshi, 23, was arrested for uploading a nude video of his girlfriend on a po*nography website after she broke up with him for blackmailing her. The same year, there were at least two cases of husbands secretly taping and sharing videos of their wives without the women's consent. There's actually an industry of selling "rape videos in Uttar Pradesh, and these are reportedly more popular than regular po*nography. There are no reported cases of women either blackmailing men with their sex videos or graphic photographs, or uploading them as po*nographic content without the subject's consent.

This is the reality that makes the fiction in Made in Heaven insensitive, irresponsible and ultimately repulsive it pretends to hold up a (crazy) mirror to our society while being either uninformed about or disconnected from reality. These are writers who should know better and as the way they've written Karan shows, they can do better if they choose to do so. However, what Made in Heaven gets right doesn't make it acceptable for them to turn a blind eye to a deeply-gendered problem that's taking on monstrous proportions in our society. Especially since the show clearly wants brownie points for its sensitivity and progressive attitudes.

Let's hope they do better in season 2.

hedwig_fawkes thumbnail
^Thank you. Some very valid criticism. There was a lot about Tara's arc that I did not like, and part of it was the positioning of her as the predator and Aadil as the victim, when he is far from innocent. 
And I agree that Karan was very well written AND that he got all the hot guys, lol!! And I absolutely agree with what the writer says about Karan's love scenes being able to showcase a variety of emotions/equations. You don't need to know anything about Karan/Nawab to see the tenderness that is there in their love scene, and contrast that with the almost functional nature of the most voyeuristic scene of all. 

@AllThatCritique I just rewatched it because MIH left me wanting more Vikrant. I am still in some kind of hangover. What a stunning little film. It leaves you with such aching sadness.
Why does Vikrant always play the bullied character? I am all cried out at this point. I just want to hug Shutu forever. The final scene!!
Edited by hedwig_fawkes - 5 years ago
AllThatCritique thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: hedwig_fawkes

^Thank you. Some very valid criticism. There was a lot about Tara's arc that I did not like, and part of it was the positioning of her as the predator and Aadil as the victim, when he is far from innocent. 

And I agree that Karan was very well written AND that he got all the hot guys, lol!! And I absolutely agree with what the writer says about Karan's love scenes being able to showcase a variety of emotions/equations. You don't need to know anything about Karan/Nawab to see the tenderness that is there in their love scene, and contrast that with the almost functional nature of the most voyeuristic scene of all. 

@AllThatCritique I just rewatched it because MIH left me wanting more Vikrant. I am still in some kind of hangover. What a stunning little film. It leaves you with such aching sadness.
Why does Vikrant always play the bullied character? I am all cried out at this point. I just want to hug Shutu forever. The final scene!!

You remember the scene where Kalki calls him pretty. I think that's part of the reason why Vikrant gets to showcase really nuanced and sensitive portrayals. The vulnerability comes out from being so delicate to look at I feel. His eyes hold so much power. I love that movie and I feel he has acted better than all the recent heroes we have. Ranbir Ranveer Varun Vicky- I honestly dont believe they can transform into Shutu the way Vikrant has. To make himself so small on screen and that final scene is so potent. I had the worst anxiety when he fell in that groundhole and nobody bothered to check up on him for a long time. I thought THATS it for him. I feel characters like Shutu deserve so much more attention cause so many people live their whole lives like that,waiting for a trigger to end it all. My only criticism of the movie was spoiling the death from the start. Like he was so pale it was understandable that he wasnt alive sitting at the backseat of the car. I wish that was revealed at last. That shot of him in the backseat. 
Please watch Made in Heaven today!
April 13, 2019 12:42 IST

'I don't remember the last time I was this invested in the characters of a story since Doordarshan's golden age or early days of cable television boom,' applauds Sukanya Verma.

At the end of Made in Heaven's first episode, we notice the bride and groom in all their resplendent glory uniting in holy matrimony, family members overcome by emotion, the dazzling details of Sabyasachi's intricately embroidered lehenga and the shimmering, sublime vibe of an extraordinarily perfect moment.

The entire picture is so deceptively beautiful, it overshadows all the doubts and disruptions preceding it.

Except the chaos surrounding a big fat Indian wedding is neither a myth nor exaggerated.

Treated as an all-you-can-spend event among the super affluent, it's the ultimate parade of a personal moment designed to produce Instagram worthy pictures for a lifetime. But the course of a dream wedding never did run smooth.

Made in Heaven Creators Zoya Akhtar and Reema Kagti dive into its madness and magnificence to put together nine engrossing episodes on Amazon Prime.

Every single episode, directed in turns by Akhtar, Alankrita Shrivastav, Prashant Nair and Nitya Mehra, has something pertinent to say about the staggering hypocrisies of Delhi's upper crust conforming to regressive rituals and fuddy-duddy beliefs.

Wealthy isn't the same as wise.

Only there's more to Made in Heaven than meets the eye.

Its mocking title is also the name of the wedding planning company spearheaded by Tara Khanna (Sobhita Dhulipala) and Karan Mehra (Arjun Mathur).

It's a young concern coming into its own in a market monopolised by the predictable opulence of their biggest rival, Harmony.

More like thisbollywoodChitchathollywoodReviews

Like a classic detective series, every episode brings a new case that demands their undivided attention and problem solving skills while their personal lives untangle on the side or, sometimes, right through it.

Tara and Karan's challenging journey -- professional and personal, glimpses of their past colliding with their present -- are the heart of Made in Heaven.

Tara is a social climber who married her way into money. But not once does Made in Heaven judge her for it.

The show doesn't have a single judgemental bone in its body, not towards people who wish to rise above their circumstances anyway.

Her husband is a polished tycoon (Jim Sarbh) cheating her with her best friend (Kalki Koechlin).

As clichd the ploy is, we don't hate them either. Perhaps it has to do with Kalki owning up to her guilt before her serene shrink, Sarbh's gentle impulses or the warm comfort they find in each other.

Karan is homosexual. His fight for sexual identity, respectability and acceptance is one of the most heartrending arcs in the series. And the masterful actor that he is, Arjun Mathur makes us feel his indignation, fortitude and goodness in equal measure.

One could not have hoped for a better portrayal of the terribly caricatured or misrepresented LGBTQ community.

Sobhita complements him at every step.

There's something trustworthy about her soulful face and anxious eyes that makes people, even the screen, open up to her.

The degree of intimacy her vulnerability provides takes Made in Heaven another few notches above.

The behind-the-scenes action of constructing a fancy wedding bring into focus work ethics and economics, quickie office meetings, everyday concerns of a production team, the camaraderie between colleagues, anxiety of an underpaid staff, the image building exercises and, most of all, an aptitude for quick fixing.

It is what grounds Made in Heaven and allows it to be more than an excuse to burst into an ostentatious art design.

Though it does a fine job of the latter too; the weddings are pretty much a breathtaking catalogue of versatile elegance and aesthetics.

As are the problems thrown before Tara and Karan.

A bride choosing contest in Ludhiana, a political alliance turned into a match, a bride-to-be's one night stand with the superstar performing at her wedding, a molestation complaint from the mehendiwali, a last-minute dowry demand, second marriages and senior citizens, marry the tree, heartbreaks and happy endings -- the duo has its hands full.

Where most would be tempted to write Tara and Karan as a romantic deal along the lines of Band Baaja Baarat's Bittoo and Shruti, Akhtar and Kagti resist any such urge to mix business and pleasure.

How refreshing that is.

Tara and Karan's tuning is effortless and offers a rare glimpse into deep platonic affection.

Made in Heaven's sex scenes -- both hetero and homosexual -- are equally authentic in their ardour.

A hint of flirtation is reserved for Made in Heaven employees -- Shashank Arora's prying cameraman and Shivani Raghuvanshi's bourgeois aspirations.

The latter's naivet and blunders help broaden Made in Heaven's premise beyond its elite focus. Although I highly doubt anyone would be hired back after being fired for misusing the company credit card.

I also didn't think much of Arora's often sermonising, patronising voiceover spelling out everything like the punchline of a think piece in an otherwise subtle show. Half expected him to sign off with xoxo (hugs and kisses) in the vein of Gossip Girls whose sartorial abundance is echoed in Made in Heaven.

But these are minor flaws in a show that is easy to binge on.

I don't remember the last time I was this invested in the characters of a story since Doordarshan's golden age or early days of cable television boom.

Made in Heaven may be aimed at the small screen, but it is built in big-screen ambition.

The production values are lush, the writing is astute (How arranged is this marriage?) and the soundtrack is an absolute delight.

Memorable turns by Vijay Raaz, Deepti Naval, Neena Gupta, Rasika Dugal, Vikrant Massey, Shweta Tripathi, Manjot Singh add to the merriment.

The not-so-starry turns -- the resourceful jasoos, the diligent lawyer or the cool-as-cucumber shrink -- are no less impactful.

Whether weddings are vulgar celebrations to declare a pair's togetherness to the world or striking camouflages to conceal the cruelty of calculated alliances, it all comes down to 'nipping the manglik thing in the bud.'

Akhtar-Kagti's deliciously detailed, humorous and empathetic look at flaws and fancies, cynicism and spunk, colour and chaos, prejudices and revolutions is a satisfying watch with tremendous repeat value.

Rediff Rating: