Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: SatoshiNakamoto

Rahul Desai says it is the best recent Indian web series
😕

he is as good as KRK.
MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
English Dialouges in all these series feel so unnatural. You don't talk in English like that in reality. 
The thing with this show is that the side plots of the two leads have potential but the actual wedding bits are just really intolerable. Were they trying to be funny at times, cuz I couldn't figure it out. The problems were dull, the solutions were dull. Had to fast forward through it.

The acting was also kinda sucky. I liked Vikrant Massey and Vinay Pathak in their short roles. The actual lead ensemble sucked. What the hell was Kalki doing

The private lives of the two leads had promise but they just ruined it in favor of really cliche writing. All of Karan's lovers were some tropes from old cinema. Even the cop amd the carcar scene was like a Rahul Bose filming.

I now firmly believe that Zoya Akthar is a mediocre writer. 
serendipity_10 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I actually loved that they spoke in english. Made it super relatable for me tbh. My family and friends all speak in english only
lovemango thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Binge watched and finished the whole series - I liked a lot of it, but some of it just dragged on for a while. Also some of the weddings (each episode had a different one) were interesting and some weren't really. 

Overall I'd say this is on the same level as Zoya's Dil Dhadakne Do, it was good but could have been so much more (had a lot of potential) really. I think that this could have been more interesting if the weddings themselves were more interesting and weren't that cliched i.e. one dowry case, one NRI case etc.

Warning - long post ahead on my thoughts (with spoilers):

I liked Karan's personal life story the most, from his childhood-to-adulthood storyline of his relationship with Nawab (like you guys have mentioned, both the actors did a great job in the final episode, the ending scene with Karan breaking down in the car after leaving Nawab was especially heartbreaking), him coming out to his family and the last part especially (seeing the Made in Heaven office destroyed). 

It also showed a whole side of what life was like for the LGBTQ before 377 was repealed, since I'm guessing this was shot before the Supreme Court repealed Sec 377, but the social stigmas etc that the show shows still continue even though 377 has since been repealed, the Vinay Pathak dialogue about Karan being brave and had the courage to come out while Vinay Pathak remains closeted reflected that too.

The Tara personal story was interesting up to a point. I think we've all seen the 'ambitious' aunties, i.e. Tara's mom, that want their daughters to get married to rich men so that they can have better lives, so Tara's backstory was interesting in that from childhood she was taught to marry a rich man so she could be settled in life. She even showed those shades of grey but herself leaking her sex tape so that she could guilt Jim Sarbh into marrying her. The eventual realisation that the 'rich' life is all but khokhla eventually - and that money can't buy you happiness if your husband is cheating on you parts - also dragged on for a bit, most of us can see it from a mile away, especially when they show the contrast that when Tara goes to her sister's house and sees her happy with her husband and child.

Speaking of Jim cheating on Tara with Kalki, Zoya and co. could have easily cut out some of the Kalki and psychiatrist scenes and put in more of Kalki's back story - what exactly happened with Bilal, what was her relationship with Jim before the affair so that we can understand whether Jim just felt bad for Tara so he married her and was actually never in love with Tara and is with her because of society etc, or were Jim and Kalki attracted to each other before / find more in common being rich and all. Also LOL at Zoya for showing Alia break a bottle on Kalki's head last month in Gully Boy, and now Tara breaking all of Kalki's mirrors etc when Kalki's characters are always like oh let's talk it out types 😆. 

Amongst the remaining supporting cast, the actual character that was really interesting was that of Jazz (Jasmeet). The whole my brother is doing drugs so now I'm the son of the family moment could have been done better, most people have seen Udta Punjab so they get what's happening there but I liked how they used Jazz and her naivete and innocence to solve actual problems for the weddings. It was kind of sweet to see her relationship with the garage mechanic boyfriend juxtaposed with her wanting to be with Kabir the photographer (what she aspired to be and then eventually realised she didn't want to fit into that world). Some parts were really well done and then some parts just dragged on for a bit.
Edited by lovemango - 5 years ago
serendipity_10 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
***SPOILERS****
ok SPOILER but I have a question
in the finale, Tara tells Aadil, you cheated I cheated. I didn't get it! What did she mean? Who did she cheat with? :O Or did she mean what she did with the sex tape?
Too subtle for me lol
Edited by serendipity_10 - 5 years ago
lovemango thumbnail

Originally posted by: serendipity_10

***SPOILERS****

ok SPOILER but I have a question
in the finale, Tara tells Aadil, you cheated I cheated. I didn't get it! What did she mean? Who did she cheat with? :O 
Too subtle for me lol

Lol I interpreted it as Tara 'cheated' on Adil not in the traditional sense of sleeping with someone else (because they didn't show any of it), but by leaking the sex tape of them doing it in the office intentionally so that his engagement breaks up, and pretending to be all shocked and embarrassed about it (remember she had gone to the CCTV room, copied the footage and then leaked it on the internet so that Adil feels guilty). This was further alluded to when Adil says 'everyone has a price', and Tara remembers Adil's dad giving her 5 lakhs to leave the company etc, and her rejecting it, not because of it being morally and ethically wrong but because her plan was to marry Adil and become rich instead. 

So yeah cheating here not in the sense that she was in love with someone else, more like she cheated the normal process to get married by guilting Adil into breaking up his engagement with Natasha and thus getting married to him all by leaking the sex tape.
Edited by lovemango - 5 years ago
lovemango thumbnail

Originally posted by: serendipity_10

did she mean what she did with the sex tape?

Yeah I thought 'cheating' here meant leaking the sex tape part only
Pain-in-ur-Neck thumbnail
Just saw the trailer and I'm SOLD! ... BBB, one of my all time favourite ... Gave me similar vibe (-without PG 13) with more broader "today's issues" including that of Lgbtq+ shade! ... Watching it fosho! ... 
GrumpyTheCat thumbnail
I found it super Meh. The acting by the main leads was all so mediocre. 
They have tried to show the societal problems but the writing is unbearable. Some moments are good but otherwise such a feel'less show. They tried but it just didn't work for me. Zoya is better director and Khagti a better writer. 

Shows like this reminds me why I love to watch Deepika ,Rani and Kon Kona to name a few. They speak through their eyes and convey their emotion. Where the writing falters these actresses lift the show. 
Edited by GrumpyTheCat - 5 years ago
GrumpyTheCat thumbnail
Also,Vikrant Massey is the bomb. One scene and he steals the whole Goddamn show. He is such an amazing actor. I am so happy he is in Chapak. Edited by GrumpyTheCat - 5 years ago