Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

myviewprem thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: aanvi98

Yes, they had indeed. According to my knowledge the harem was kind of a mini city, and all the royal ladies had a totally different section for themselves. The concubines and other servants didn't have their own rooms. Also, shezadas grew up there, but as they hit adolescence, they were sent away to wars, eventually made subahdars and mansabdars so basically they didn't stay in the palace at all.

Another reason that we dontd get insight of mughal harem like turks is that it was completely forbidden. There were no male guards(it was guarded by femal turkey warriors brought from turkey called urdubeig), or officials, even medics. Until under really unavoidable situations, they brought males. If they wanted to really meet males, they went with purdah. You won't find insights of harem in akbar nama or tuzk e jahangiri, but you would find description of harem in humayun nama as it was written by his sister. And eunuchs i dont think were like what is shown in the serial. They were really sophisticated. Or else who would run the harem!

And i really had one doubt- did really sultanas attended courts along with their ladies in waiting as shown? As far I know, only nurjahan, ruqaiah and mumtaj attended courts and they didn't attend unless with matter of utmost importance (like hamida banu, salima sultan and ruqaiyah sultan opposed for punishment of salim in royal court). And where is diwan e aam and diwaan e khas? Didnt mughals have two separate court?

Once prince became 13 years they went away from harem

After 13 years how could prince meet their mothers is confusing. When Jodha Bai died, Salim took Kurram aka Sahh jahan to his palace. In jehangir palace usually women stayed but salim had a room too where he stayed

Yes only important Queens and begums could attend durbar not cocubbines, maids and lower wives usually. Usually chief consorts and senior wifes went to court and mothers or sisters sometimes

Like when Salim came to attend hamida banus funeral he was in rebellion so Akbar slapped him and said why did you not do war you have your own army against me? That time Salims sisters came and took him to lady section before matter got serious.

Salim was not punished in court in public ever(no trial etc like they show in movie, serials), when Salim came back for Hamida Banus funeral Akbar put him in house arrest for killing Abul Fazl. He stopped giving him drinks which he was addicted to. After few days he left Salim from house arrest. Because Salim stopped eating food and his health detoriated without drinks and food. So Akbar left him after few days house arrest. Akbar said to go on war but Salim said he wanted to go back to allahabad and left after house arrest.

But some mughal emperors like mohmmad rangeela got maids and cocubbines to durbar Not earlier ones

Edited by myviewprem - 5 years ago